Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
ICMForum's Favourite Movies 2019 Edition (Results)
Polls: Children (Results), 1932 (Closed?), 1989 awards (Apr 22nd), Directed by women (Apr 23rd), DtC Voting (Apr 25th)
Challenges: DtC noms, Aus-NZ-Oceania, 1940s
Film of the Week: Alexandra's Project, May nominations (Apr 26th)

The Off-Topic Lounge

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Re: The Off-Topic Lounge

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » April 1st, 2019, 12:12 am

Crisis line just said it's my choice. I guess I'll go. If I don't I go to work tomorrow and may have to attempt again. For the past few weeks I've been fighting an urge to not cut myself right in the office bathroom.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » April 1st, 2019, 12:14 am

Good luck. It's a tough fight, you've got the self awareness to keep it up though. We're rooting for you.

Grunge Rock & Ally McBeal

Post by Grunge Rock & Ally McBeal » April 1st, 2019, 6:35 am

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
April 1st, 2019, 12:12 am
Crisis line just said it's my choice. I guess I'll go. If I don't I go to work tomorrow and may have to attempt again. For the past few weeks I've been fighting an urge to not cut myself right in the office bathroom.
You sound like you're having the kind of week I had last week What line of work are you in?

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » April 1st, 2019, 12:00 pm

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
March 31st, 2019, 11:21 pm
And the 2nd year in a row where work literally drives me to the point of suicide. Just tried hanging myself to the point of me having bruises on my neck. I'll call crisis centre soon to see if I should go to emergency or not, but I'm assuming I probably should. I'll wait for my phone to charge first.
WTF, man, I thought things were improving?

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » April 1st, 2019, 1:09 pm

bal3x wrote:
April 1st, 2019, 12:00 pm
XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
And the 2nd year in a row where work literally drives me to the point of suicide. Just tried hanging myself to the point of me having bruises on my neck. I'll call crisis centre soon to see if I should go to emergency or not, but I'm assuming I probably should. I'll wait for my phone to charge first.
I thought so too. I was becoming more and more unstable the past while and it felt like my meds stopped working completely. The psychiatrist said my career choice or maybe work in general is causing this. Their plan is to put me on disability for the next while and then some career counseling and a part time job in another field.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » April 1st, 2019, 1:11 pm

Grunge Rock & Ally McBeal wrote:
April 1st, 2019, 6:35 am
XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
April 1st, 2019, 12:12 am
You sound like you're having the kind of week I had last week What line of work are you in?
Accounting. The first tax season I worked at I ended up in the psych ward so I guess this the wrong career choice for me.

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » April 1st, 2019, 1:22 pm

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
April 1st, 2019, 1:09 pm
bal3x wrote:
XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
I thought so too. I was becoming more and more unstable the past while and it felt like my meds stopped working completely. The psychiatrist said my career choice or maybe work in general is causing this. Their plan is to put me on disability for the next while and then some career counseling and a part time job in another field.
One would think work should in fact improve the situation and is often recommended, i.e. to preoccupy your brain with other things, but I guess this is indeed individual and affects people differently, complex stuff the brain... either way, PLEASE don't pull any of that shit above, many people care about your well-being! Hope things work out!

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » April 1st, 2019, 1:30 pm

bal3x wrote:
April 1st, 2019, 1:22 pm
XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
bal3x wrote:

One would think work should in fact improve the situation and is often recommended, i.e. to preoccupy your brain with other things, but I guess this is indeed individual and affects people differently, complex stuff the brain... either way, PLEASE don't pull any of that shit above, many people care about your well-being! Hope things work out!
I was also having physical symptoms of stress so at least this career choice is not right for me. I actually quit last week but my boss begged me to stay for the month so I agreed. The shift went fine but I got an adverse reaction when seeing a coworker (I know for a fact that he hates me I was told this by other coworkers).

This is the scary part. I tried writing an email to my boss about how I have trouble working around that coworker. While writing it, I had a thought that was like "you know it would be a lot easier to just kill yourself right now" and I fully agreed with it and immediately attempted.

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » April 1st, 2019, 1:41 pm

Oh, the coworker... that can certainly happen! I actually had such a case in my previous work whereby I just couldn't "coexist" with a coworker, she was sort of a boss so there was really no other choice as to quit and move on. No point stressing over this, you need to pick your battles, if you cannot win move on and find another position, - sure it's not always easy, but still better than working under such pressure all the time!

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » April 1st, 2019, 7:27 pm

Damn it Ettie, that's really bad news but I'm relieved that you're still with us! :hug:
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
More memorable quotesShow
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » April 1st, 2019, 8:03 pm

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
April 1st, 2019, 1:30 pm
bal3x wrote:
XxXApathy420XxX wrote:

I was also having physical symptoms of stress so at least this career choice is not right for me. I actually quit last week but my boss begged me to stay for the month so I agreed. The shift went fine but I got an adverse reaction when seeing a coworker (I know for a fact that he hates me I was told this by other coworkers).

This is the scary part. I tried writing an email to my boss about how I have trouble working around that coworker. While writing it, I had a thought that was like "you know it would be a lot easier to just kill yourself right now" and I fully agreed with it and immediately attempted.
UGH! I'm so sorry this is back. Just don't hurt yourself and everything else will eventually work out, even if you may have a rough time for the next few weeks. I really root for you! :hug:
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » April 2nd, 2019, 12:06 am

bal3x wrote:
XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
bal3x wrote:

tax season is always difficult, even for people we seek to label "normal" or "well-adjusted" - lots of work, lots of stress, so it's very understandable that problems arise. Simply put, I only have two sets of taxes to worry about (mine and the person I work for) and last week was looking pretty maddening. I did my best to take care of myself but we finally decided that an extension was needed to allow for a contractor to get information we need. Sometimes this stuff just doesn't become apparent until you're filling in the forms and it can be hard to anticipate changes both in terms of the tax code and personal situation.

Now multiply that across dozens or hundreds of clients add their anxiety and viola! - it can be tough to cope with it all. I can't say what's a good or bad choice for you, Arthur, but the fact that has happened in different years is something you should consider very carefully after things stabilize again. Wishing you well! :hug:

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » April 10th, 2019, 1:25 pm

I've lost 27kg over the last year, maintained a healthy weight for 4 months, and though I still have 10kg to go it feels pretty good. A strange thing I've noticed over the last 4 months or so is that I ALWAYS get asked for ID now and I have never been asked for ID in my life (only when in a group of people at a bar and they ask everyone). It's bizarre. I'm so taken aback every time I get asked. My weight is the only thing that's changed so I assume it's making me look younger, but it's weird because I can see so many lines in my face now that it's not covered in fat and I thought I was looking older :shrug:
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » April 13th, 2019, 12:11 pm

mightysparks wrote:
April 10th, 2019, 1:25 pm
I've lost 27kg over the last year, maintained a healthy weight for 4 months, and though I still have 10kg to go it feels pretty good. A strange thing I've noticed over the last 4 months or so is that I ALWAYS get asked for ID now and I have never been asked for ID in my life (only when in a group of people at a bar and they ask everyone). It's bizarre. I'm so taken aback every time I get asked. My weight is the only thing that's changed so I assume it's making me look younger, but it's weird because I can see so many lines in my face now that it's not covered in fat and I thought I was looking older :shrug:
There is one particular supermarket in my neighborhood where they often asked for my ID when I wanted to buy beer. It's not like I'm buying 10 liters of booze and nothing else, but rather a couple of cans together with other groceries. You need to be at least 18 years old in order to buy alcohol in this country. I'm 32 years old. Maybe being skinny does make me look younger.

Anyway, I stopped buying alcohol there.

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.

morrison-dylan-fan

Post by morrison-dylan-fan » April 14th, 2019, 12:02 am

Hi all,I'm going to post this in the weekly thread as well,but this news has left me crushed:

For over 20 years me and the family have had one main friend called Guy David Morgan who would hang out every weekend (my dad first met him when he was in his early 20's and would buy items from the book shop my dad ran). His phone has been off for 4 weeks. My dad checked his name online, tonight (Guy did not have FB etc) found out he has unexpectedly passed away at age 46. I'm feeling utterly devastated.Guy was the person who got me into off-beat genre films,with him giving me Spasmo-the first ever Giallo I saw.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » April 14th, 2019, 7:36 pm

morrison-dylan-fan wrote:
April 14th, 2019, 12:02 am
Hi all,I'm going to post this in the weekly thread as well,but this news has left me crushed:

For over 20 years me and the family have had one main friend called Guy David Morgan who would hang out every weekend (my dad first met him when he was in his early 20's and would buy items from the book shop my dad ran). His phone has been off for 4 weeks. My dad checked his name online, tonight (Guy did not have FB etc) found out he has unexpectedly passed away at age 46. I'm feeling utterly devastated.Guy was the person who got me into off-beat genre films,with him giving me Spasmo-the first ever Giallo I saw.
I'm sorry to hear that! It's always harder when it's unexpected. :rip:

morrison-dylan-fan

Post by morrison-dylan-fan » April 14th, 2019, 8:57 pm

Post created by mistake.
Last edited by morrison-dylan-fan on April 14th, 2019, 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

morrison-dylan-fan

Post by morrison-dylan-fan » April 14th, 2019, 8:57 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
April 14th, 2019, 7:36 pm
morrison-dylan-fan wrote:
April 14th, 2019, 12:02 am

I'm sorry to hear that! It's always harder when it's unexpected. :rip:
Thanks Max, and yeah, being unexpected has made it a real hard punch. I've just written a post on the weekly thread,which I hope is a fitting tribute.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » April 16th, 2019, 8:10 pm

Decided to adopt someone a few days ago

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » April 16th, 2019, 8:20 pm

So cute! Yay kitties!

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » April 16th, 2019, 8:24 pm

Can someone turn this Italian synopsis of Chanson d'Armor into a summary of 4 to 6 lines? I'd prefer a Dutch summary btw, but English is fine as well. :P
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » April 16th, 2019, 8:42 pm

joachimt wrote:
April 16th, 2019, 8:24 pm
Can someone turn this Italian synopsis of Chanson d'Armor into a summary of 4 to 6 lines? I'd prefer a Dutch summary btw, but English is fine as well. :P
I can have a look tomorrow!

Art, nice pick! Looks like an incredibly cute kitten.
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » April 16th, 2019, 8:47 pm

Cute, but clearly plotting world domination (or at least how to get 7.34% of your next meal),

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » April 16th, 2019, 9:22 pm

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
April 16th, 2019, 8:10 pm

Kitty is totally waiting for you to leave the room so he/she can snatch your Kubrick Blu-ray set. ;)
The gauzy thoughts of the sturdy Scots
Wrestle with the elements
Up on the trail high
I need to know where does it go
How do I get there and what will I find?

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » April 17th, 2019, 4:01 am

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
April 16th, 2019, 9:22 pm
XxXApathy420XxX wrote:

Kitty is totally waiting for you to leave the room so he/she can snatch your Kubrick Blu-ray set. ;)
Funny, coz I was looking at the pic in full size because I wanted to see what was on either side of the Great White Silence/Epic of Everest set... For a second I thought it was Coeur Fidele to the right, but that's a MoC release, not BFI.
ImageImageImageImage

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » April 17th, 2019, 4:08 am

Knaldskalle wrote:
April 17th, 2019, 4:01 am
GruesomeTwosome wrote:
XxXApathy420XxX wrote:

Funny, coz I was looking at the pic in full size because I wanted to see what was on either side of the Great White Silence/Epic of Everest set... For a second I thought it was Coeur Fidele to the right, but that's a MoC release, not BFI.
I actually do have Coeur Fidele but that's in the MoC pile of blurays. This one is BFI and assorted.

Maybe we should make it a game and have people guess what blurays are to the right or left or maybe behind her :lol:

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » April 17th, 2019, 4:26 am

Bad Lieutenant
Brief Encounter
There Will Be Blood
Schalken the Painter
Spione? the white spine with the slipcase?

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » April 17th, 2019, 4:31 am

nice lookin cat too. have a name yet? I suggest Alfredo or Enid.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » April 17th, 2019, 4:50 am

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
April 17th, 2019, 4:08 am
Knaldskalle wrote:
GruesomeTwosome wrote:

I actually do have Coeur Fidele but that's in the MoC pile of blurays. This one is BFI and assorted.

Maybe we should make it a game and have people guess what blurays are to the right or left or maybe behind her :lol:
Dude, you need to sort alphabetical by director, then chronological, like God intended.

And the kitten needs a name too. Is it male or female?

Edit: "behind her" , so obviously female. Maya?
ImageImageImageImage

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » April 17th, 2019, 5:00 am

funkybusiness wrote:
April 17th, 2019, 4:26 am
Spione? the white spine with the slipcase?
The UK release of Spione was MoC and has an orange spine and no slipcover (o-ring).
ImageImageImageImage

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » April 17th, 2019, 5:06 am

oh maybe it isn't a P. is it Showgirls? that's got a shiny white cover at least. and was a nth anniversary edition so probably had a slipcase.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » April 17th, 2019, 5:59 am

Gershwin wrote:
April 16th, 2019, 8:42 pm
joachimt wrote:
Great! In that case...... Dutch please! ;)
I need it for Moviemeter. All the English summaries that I found were too short.
ICM-profile

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » April 17th, 2019, 6:29 am

Knaldskalle wrote:
GruesomeTwosome wrote:
XxXApathy420XxX wrote:

Maitresse

(Also an option for the cat's name?)

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » April 17th, 2019, 1:48 pm

The white cover is Spring Breakers.

The shelter already named her and I decided to keep the name cause it was film related: Mae West.

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » April 17th, 2019, 2:53 pm

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
Very nice! Now take good care of her :)

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » April 17th, 2019, 3:19 pm

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
April 17th, 2019, 1:48 pm
The white cover is Spring Breakers.

The shelter already named her and I decided to keep the name cause it was film related: Mae West.
That's a good name.
ImageImageImageImage

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » April 17th, 2019, 4:21 pm

joachimt wrote:
April 17th, 2019, 5:59 am
Gershwin wrote:
joachimt wrote:
I need it for Moviemeter. All the English summaries that I found were too short.
A bit pathetic, maybe, but how about this?
SpoilerShow
Jean-Marie is een jongeman in een Bretons dorp. Hij droomt ervan om professioneel troubadour te worden. Maar zijn vader vindt het tijd dat hij gaat werken en stuurt hem met de vissersvloot mee naar zee. Intussen is zijn romance met de dochter van de lokale herenboer tot mislukken gedoemd: haar vader heeft een betere partij gevonden. Hun wegen zullen elkaar nog één keer kruisen …
RokP 250

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » April 17th, 2019, 7:44 pm

Gershwin wrote:
April 17th, 2019, 4:21 pm
joachimt wrote:
Gershwin wrote:

SpoilerShow
Jean-Marie is een jongeman in een Bretons dorp. Hij droomt ervan om professioneel troubadour te worden. Maar zijn vader vindt het tijd dat hij gaat werken en stuurt hem met de vissersvloot mee naar zee. Intussen is zijn romance met de dochter van de lokale herenboer tot mislukken gedoemd: haar vader heeft een betere partij gevonden. Hun wegen zullen elkaar nog één keer kruisen …
Lijkt me prima. Verhaallijn duidelijk en de laatste zin geeft voldoende spanning zonder de rest te verklappen. Dankjewel!

EDIT: Whoops, am I typing Dutch here? :lol:
ICM-profile

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » April 17th, 2019, 8:00 pm

joachimt wrote:
April 17th, 2019, 7:44 pm
Gershwin wrote:
April 17th, 2019, 4:21 pm
joachimt wrote:

SpoilerShow
Lijkt me prima. Verhaallijn duidelijk en de laatste zin geeft voldoende spanning zonder de rest te verklappen. Dankjewel!

EDIT: Whoops, am I typing Dutch here? :lol:
Ze moeten het maar leren als ze op Onze Hollandsche Websites willen integreren!
RokP 250

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » April 19th, 2019, 9:33 pm

Stop it, please. This is not good for the forum.