Welcome to the ICM Forum.
Check out our Magazine

If you notice any issues please post in the Q&A thread. Email issue should be fixed. If you encounter this issue, contact PeacefulAnarchy
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 50 released May 1st: Being There feat. Autism Through Cinema)
iCinema Magazine: WE ARE LIVE! (We just need more content)
ICMForum Film Festival 2022: Mon Nov 14 - Dec 12
Polls: Contemporary Black&White (Results), Favorite Movies (Results), Directors (Closed), 1953 (May 22nd), Germany (May 30th), 1990s (May 31st)
Challenges: Western, China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Religion, Cults, Sorcery
About: Welcome All New Members, Terms of Use, Q&A

Letterboxd

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

https://letterboxd.com/crew/list/high-r ... ngs-rises/

High risers. The movies that had the highest trend upwards in the last 10 years on letterboxd. On 3: Jennifer's Body

This comment nails it: "The Tumblr girl to Letterboxd pipeline is very real."

Cheetah Girls, Hannah Montana, High School Musical, Twilight, Legally Blonde, LOL, The Lizzie McGuire movie are all included.
Teproc

Post by Teproc »

Yeah, basically LB started out with a typical "film-related site on the Internet" demographic and now is much more diverse, at least when it comes to gender.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

Teproc wrote: November 10th, 2021, 9:47 am Yeah, basically LB started out with a typical "film-related site on the Internet" demographic and now is much more diverse, at least when it comes to gender.
One would wonder whether women are (perhaps narrowly) in the majority on LB. While on IMDb the demographic is very skewed towards males: over 80/20 i think. IMDb probably has more users, but LBOXD has more active users right now (and who don't have an IMDb account). Part of it is due to letterboxd attraction towards women, LGBTQ communities and also internationally, due to the attention it gives to these and the ease where lists are created (including lists that highlight those). IMDb is a relic of the past, somewhat 2000s internet, while letterboxd represents the internet today. It has a much higher social element in it too, partially because IMDb deliberately got rid of those (but the IMDb boards where old-fashioned and very dated, and quite chaotic). And LBOXD is aesthetically more beautiful and more userfriendly.

The internet has become more diverse over the years too. Forum boards are so 2000's..-like.
Teproc

Post by Teproc »

I don't think the Internet is "more diverse" really, it's not like women were not using the Internet in the 2000s... and there are still places like Reddit which have demographics that basically look like IMDB's.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Teproc wrote: November 10th, 2021, 1:32 pm I don't think the Internet is "more diverse" really, it's not like women were not using the Internet in the 2000s... and there are still places like Reddit which have demographics that basically look like IMDB's.
Internet access has absolutely become more diverse in the last 20 years. 20 years ago, high speed internet was not common, there were no smartphones, and most families couldn't afford a home computer with dial-up internet. As a result, the internet was populated mostly by rich people form rich countries, or young people accessing through their local library/university/internet café. Twenty Years Later, the internet is much faster, more reliable, and widespread, meaning that geographically and socioeconomically it is much more accessible than it used to be.

In terms of demographics, I would say that certain pockets of the internet, such as online film criticism and communities, was very skewed towards youngish white males 15-45. The conversation has broadened since then to include more people, as mentioned by Laki above. You even see this with major festivals and publications ensuring that women, queer folk, and ethnic minorities are more represented in not just making films but also in writing about them.
🧚‍♂️🦫
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Lakigigar wrote: November 10th, 2021, 9:19 am https://letterboxd.com/crew/list/high-r ... ngs-rises/

High risers. The movies that had the highest trend upwards in the last 10 years on letterboxd. On 3: Jennifer's Body

Cheetah Girls, Hannah Montana, High School Musical, Twilight, Legally Blonde, LOL, The Lizzie McGuire movie are all included.
I'm a trans girl, but most of those movies are profusely awful.
🏳️‍⚧️ (she/her)
Mr. Blonde wrote: Are you gonna bark all day, little doggie, or are you gonna bite?
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
First to check CODA (2021)
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Lakigigar wrote: November 10th, 2021, 9:19 am https://letterboxd.com/crew/list/high-r ... ngs-rises/

LOL (no pun)
I'm calling it: 20 years from now, this list will be looked at like the TSPDT Top 100! .. right?
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

kongs_speech wrote: November 10th, 2021, 11:45 pm

I'm a trans girl, but most of those movies are profusely awful.
Well, what i've noticed is that some people indeed rated those films high (or relatively high), but than go on to like good movies or develop good taste.

On top of that, a high riser is a high riser if a movie rises from 1,7 to 2,6 which is often what happened. Some movies get extreme amounts of hate by male demographics (Twilight) which was not right, a lot of women also won't like it, some will have childhood nostalghia, some will genuinely think it's one of the best movies ever (those who are more casual) and some will say it's allright (like I do). That explains a bit of the high risers as well.

The list is an awful list, but it is probably the trend by movies that males think is absolute shit, while women demographics are slightly more divided on it, depending on how often they watch film, how often they look for it, whether they watched it as a teen.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

Teproc wrote: November 10th, 2021, 1:32 pm I don't think the Internet is "more diverse" really, it's not like women were not using the Internet in the 2000s... and there are still places like Reddit which have demographics that basically look like IMDB's.
You're right about Reddit, but those types of sites are male dominated (4chan similar, also avoid that place at all costs).

But i've been on sites or internet forums which are dominated by women. Tumblr probably is also female dominated (but that's been around for a while). It depends from site to site, theme it tackles, how open it is to diversity (sometimes), how long it's been around and stuff like that.
Fergenaprido wrote: November 10th, 2021, 11:38 pm
Internet access has absolutely become more diverse in the last 20 years. 20 years ago, high speed internet was not common, there were no smartphones, and most families couldn't afford a home computer with dial-up internet. As a result, the internet was populated mostly by rich people form rich countries, or young people accessing through their local library/university/internet café. Twenty Years Later, the internet is much faster, more reliable, and widespread, meaning that geographically and socioeconomically it is much more accessible than it used to be.

In terms of demographics, I would say that certain pockets of the internet, such as online film criticism and communities, was very skewed towards youngish white males 15-45. The conversation has broadened since then to include more people, as mentioned by Laki above. You even see this with major festivals and publications ensuring that women, queer folk, and ethnic minorities are more represented in not just making films but also in writing about them.
The Internet becoming more diverse is definitely a good thing.

I don't remember when I used the internet for the first time. Or when we had it. I certainly used it already in 2009, and I think maybe 2008. 2007 is possible. 2006 feels a bit early. So I think the first time I used the internet is 2007-2008. The first time i joined an internet forum was also 2007-2008-maybe 2009 (probably related to pokemon or cycling). In 2007, i was 11 years old, and I definitely already played games (Runescape) and I started playing Cycling Manager 4 in 2005-2006 when I was 9 years old. That score is so nostalgic.

My parents weren't rich. My real parents definitely lower class, but my foster parents were middle class.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Torgo wrote: November 11th, 2021, 12:07 am I'm calling it: 20 years from now, this list will be looked at like the TSPDT Top 100! .. right?
Did you see our recent 80s list? Can you imagine how 80s cinephiles would've reacted to that?

I see quite a bit of overlap :whistling:
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

I've said that it is the Twilight effect you see.

A movie that gets a lot of unjustified hate because it was cool to hate Twilight 10 years ago, and because it's a YA franchise (that is looked down onto, esp. by males because haha they are YA romance movies, similar to the hate 1D and Justin Bieber gets, because women aren't allowed to have idols according to men, mostly the same men who judge what young adult female teenagers should have as idols while they listen to the same kind of crap musicians theirselves).

So what happens? Well. Becuase of the Twilight Effect, it gets a 4.7 rating on IMDb, while over time because more YA females join letterboxd who don't "hate the film franchise" because it is cool to hate them, might give bigger ratings. Some are genuinely fangirls, others just think 4.7 is ridicilous or don't care much for ratings, for some it will also be nostalgic (childhood memory), and movies like this do better.

And even if the average of newly joined people is 6.5 instead of 4.7, it will still be among the highest risers. It is not that the newly joined people think it's a superb movie, it's because the older generation gave it a lot of unjustified hate. And it happens with every movie on this list, mostly movies that target YA girls/females that were hated by males because yeah lol (a film with a title like legally blonde must be bad?), so it is easily explained by the shift in demographics.

I recently saw this comment, and i think it describes it well. I haven't seen the sequels so maybe that's the reason why I don't think Twilight is bad and gave it 7,5/10, probably a similar rating to the average or above average MCU films/blockbuster.

https://letterboxd.com/mickeyotis/film/twilight-2008/

This opinion/review exactly defends what I believe in.

I also credit it with gaving rise to the two best actors of our generation: Kristen Stewart & Robert Pattinson (in that regard it's better than Harry Potter lol). Watson so far is a bit disappointing in her career choices. Radcliffe does better than many have predicted, but I definitely prefer Pattinson (even though Radcliffe is a good actor: i have seen Swiss Army Man, Jungle).

Though Stewart & Pattinson already had a few films before they starred in before Twilight, but it definitely launched them. Watson and Radcliffe are definition of child actors in blockbusters. But some disappoint later (Maguire & that actor from Home Alone (Culkin), but the latter one has addiction problems IIRC). So far, that's not the case with Watson & Radcliffe IMO.
gunnar

Post by gunnar »

I gave Twilight 7/10 and thought it was a decent adaptation, though Pattinson and Stewart seemed a bit disinterested at times. I thought New Moon was slightly better, but never got around to watching the other three movies. I'd already read the books before the movies came out. Some of my students were pretty big fans of them.

Stewart had a pretty good career as a child and teenage actress prior to Twilight (nearly 20 films), though I agree that the film did boost her career. I'm not really a big fan of her as an actress, though I think that she has gotten better over time.

Radcliffe has been really good in Miracle Workers and I've liked him in some of his other roles. I think Emma Watson has been good as well.
jal90

Post by jal90 »

I don't know if I'd consider that things have turned tables so much around the Twilight saga, considering that a lot of the love it gets in places like Letterboxd is sort of ironic and meme. Like one of the top reviews of Breaking dawn just highlights a dumb line in the film and calls it "iconic".

With some other films and franchises I can certainly see it, with Twilight I think it's all a bit more self-aware than anything.
Teproc

Post by Teproc »

That's just the standard form of Letterboxd, you'll find similar reviews on plenty of canonical films.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

I read the first four Twilight books when I was in high school before the films came out and still think the films suck lol. The books are bad too but also kind of enjoyable. I do agree though there is an issue with people hating on anything popular with girls or women, especially teen girls.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | Letterboxd | Linktree | TSZDT

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

Teproc wrote: November 18th, 2021, 6:11 pm That's just the standard form of Letterboxd, you'll find similar reviews on plenty of canonical films.
Basically this, read wherever you like, and you have reviews like that, that's not something unique about Twilight.
mightysparks wrote: November 18th, 2021, 11:11 pm I read the first four Twilight books when I was in high school before the films came out and still think the films suck lol. The books are bad too but also kind of enjoyable. I do agree though there is an issue with people hating on anything popular with girls or women, especially teen girls.
It's not even just restricted to film or music. But people outright calling most teen girls sluts because of TikTok and stuff like that (although usually those comments come from younger boys or YA that look down on them). I've noticed that among my generation there are a lot of deregatory remarks on gen Z (and younger), and when I hear those, i'm quick to state the hypocrisy involved when they make statements about that, and how they were theirselves as a child. I've noticed how a lot of people who i have heard saying that, i could say the exact same thing about them, than they do about gen Z teenager girls.

Whatever a teen girl will do, it will never be good. Doesn't she wear make up, people will call them ugly, boring, shy or lack of fashion. Does she wear a lot of make-up, people wil call them a slut or a doll. And it's that exact kind of behaviour that is one of the causes of many mental ilnesses, like eating disorders or other self-esteem issues because of bullying.

Let things be and leave them alone.

Like do you think i had the best taste as a child. What i liked as a kid, is embarrassing to say at times... And even today, some will say it's terrible. People grow, and if they continue to like, so be it. Good for them. Everyone their own taste. And not everyone with an imdb or lboxd account is "serious" about films. For some it's just a way to pass time after a rough day, and that's good if a film succeed in that. What everyone looks for in a film, is different. I like to challenge myself and taste a bit from new ideas, cultures and experiences, and I also want to have a good time. And to please my OCD and obsession with listmaking and completion and knowledge. That's my goal. People overall need to be a bit more supportive & accepting of each other, and even more in times like these.
jal90

Post by jal90 »

Lakigigar wrote: November 19th, 2021, 1:06 am
Teproc wrote: November 18th, 2021, 6:11 pm That's just the standard form of Letterboxd, you'll find similar reviews on plenty of canonical films.
Basically this, read wherever you like, and you have reviews like that, that's not something unique about Twilight.
But with Twilight you have literal hundreds of these sorts of reviews, to the point they clog up the section with funny & witty one-liners. And there's still many really interesting and sincere positive reviews, but they feel like a dime a dozen when the review section is so overcrowded with stuff that is clearly written with memetic intent.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

The jokey reviews kinda annoy me. I don't mind them and I sometimes find them amusing but not when the top reviews of every film are some stupid thing that makes no sense.

Third top review of Twilight for example with over 2500 likes (WTF????): the vampire mum when bella goes to their house: would you like some........... pasgetti?

WHAT

And the top review with 4000 likes (???) is about the reviewers mother looking for food.

I don't like the downvote system on iCM but I wish we had it here.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | Letterboxd | Linktree | TSZDT

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

A lot of these jokey one-liners are humorous i've noticed, but not necessarily the ones on the Twilight page. That person with 4000 likes on Twilight review, writes annoying reviews on every movie, i've seen. That review on Twilight is more anecdotal than something else.

But yes it's annoying when writing a film review becomes a content for writing the most memey review.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

mightysparks wrote: November 19th, 2021, 3:21 am The jokey reviews kinda annoy me. I don't mind them and I sometimes find them amusing but not when the top reviews of every film are some stupid thing that makes no sense.

Third top review of Twilight for example with over 2500 likes (WTF????): the vampire mum when bella goes to their house: would you like some........... pasgetti?

WHAT

And the top review with 4000 likes (???) is about the reviewers mother looking for food.

I don't like the downvote system on iCM but I wish we had it here.
It's always a certain few popular people who never write anything of substance. They can put whatever bullshit on there and their followers eat it up like it's the divine Gospel.
🏳️‍⚧️ (she/her)
Mr. Blonde wrote: Are you gonna bark all day, little doggie, or are you gonna bite?
Dimitris Psachos

Post by Dimitris Psachos »

Um, about that hatred-on-teen-girls'-subgenre-films "discussion": untrue, at least on my behalf, because I thoroughly hate coming-of-age-teen-boys'-subgenre-films with a passion AS WELL, the majority of them :folded:
(which is quite difficult to differentiate said content i.e. If... and Fish Tank, films about teen boys and girls respectively (curiously enough, both British) can't really be applied on those "subgenre" instances)
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

Sometimes what I do about letterboxd is going to an obscure film i like and look for fans of it... i than click on the fans and check their ratings and favorite films, which I especially value the more films they've seen. and if i like it, i follow them. I value it especially if i find some obscure gem. I also have the extention: rating from friends, but it's pretty close to the overal rating of the film usually.

How often i've found people giving Twilight 9/10 and 10/10 and than Twilight being surrounded by Agnes Varda, Tarkovsky, Kiarostimi, Bela Tarr, Kieslowski films. Quite amazing. Usually dreamier and films less focused on violence seem to do well. Costume drama's sometimes too. For many people that used to be YA when watching Twilight, they're now adults.

It's a shame i haven't seen that many movies as a kid, because i would like to have some unexplainable nostalgic ratings. Although i've seen Twilight as a kid, just not the sequels.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

So, according my Letterboxd rushes (which I get per E-Mail) this Taylor Swift short film [IMDb link] is the most-reviewed piece of work of the week. By far. :huh:
Spoiler
Tay-tay stans are just wyld ..
Teproc

Post by Teproc »

It's not just Taylor Swift fans, it's all over Film Twitter as well, much like Lemonade a few years ago, though that seemed to be a bigger deal.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

TraverseTown wrote: November 4th, 2021, 11:02 pm
kongs_speech wrote: November 4th, 2021, 10:38 pm
TraverseTown wrote: November 4th, 2021, 10:01 pm Yeah I exclusively use the like feature on letterboxd as a bookmark lol
I didn't know that was your profile. I follow you!
Yeah I follow you too, i think you posted your profile here before. I don’t use TraverseTown as a username anymore anywhere but here 😅 I switched my letterboxd profile to my real name because you never know how it might help me for networking, since I’m gonna be looking for jobs in film preservation, restoration, distribution, or programming next year after I finish grad school :whistling:
Happy birthday!
🏳️‍⚧️ (she/her)
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Onderhond wrote: December 28th, 2020, 11:12 pm Is there any way to clear (not delete) an existing list? I want to re-import my Top 650, but all it does is add the new films, leaves the old ones there and doesn't adjust the ranking. And I don't really feel like manually deleting all the entries first :D
Just for reference, or if anyone else is bothered by this, if you run the following piece of JS your list will be empty:

Code: Select all

document.querySelectorAll('.list-item-remove').forEach(possibleTarget => {
​            possibleTarget.click();
});
Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 »

I try to fill my profile watch films @ letterbox.
I can now export my letterbox checks... But the Csv don't have the imdb ttnumber but an tiny Url.. Ttnumber is my main key for database and excel list...
Is there an easy way to extract that info from letterbox itself? I think tmdb may keep letterbox urls maybe...
DareDaniel

Post by DareDaniel »

9043 likes :facepalm:
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

I was browsing the year/"decade" (2020+2021) highlights on Letterboxd since around Christmas and skimmed through the top reviews, or top 3, for the most popular couple of hundred films.
I don't even know where to begin, honestly ..
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

I'm really glad Yuni is rated so well. I'm pretty much hyped for it. Would also be my first Indonesian film. It was third in highest ratings of 2021 after the new spider-man movie and a neon genesis evangelion sequel

The top 13 highest rated movies are:
1. Spider-Man No Way Home
2. Evangelion 3.0+1.0 Thrice Upon a Time
3. Yuni
4. Drive My Car
5. C'mon C'mon
6. Cleaners
7. The Worst Person in the World
8. Licorize Pizza
9. Dune
10. Judas and the Black Messiah
11. The Souvenir Part II
12. Mass
13. Red Post on Escher Street (Sono (l) )
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

DareDaniel wrote: January 11th, 2022, 12:00 am 9043 likes :facepalm:
Some reviews are actually pretty funny, like this one

Teproc

Post by Teproc »

DareDaniel wrote: January 11th, 2022, 12:00 am Image

9043 likes :facepalm:
Yes, how dare people find quips funny. Films are serious business, don't they know? :unsure:
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

I think there's a better place and time for quips and comedy. I understand LB has few places to express yourself besides the reviews, but I'd probably be better to keep things like that contained to tweets and FB posts, i.e. places where you go to waste some time.
DareDaniel

Post by DareDaniel »

Lakigigar wrote: January 11th, 2022, 4:57 am
DareDaniel wrote: January 11th, 2022, 12:00 am 9043 likes :facepalm:
Some reviews are actually pretty funny, like this one

But you'll only get those sweet likes if you're a celebrity. That comment isn't even funny or original, I can do the same with other titles:

Don't Breathe (2016) - "They breathed :("
Don’t Look Now (1973) - "They looked :("
Don’t Listen (2020) - "They listened :("

Or other variations with "don't" on the title:

They Shoot Horses, Don’t They? (1969) - "not one horse was shot"
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

DareDaniel wrote: January 11th, 2022, 11:11 am But you'll only get those sweet likes if you're a celebrity. That comment isn't even funny or original, I can do the same with other titles:
Well, these platforms favor low-effort interactions. Quick read + fast like is what they're generally after.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

I don't like it either, but what can you do about it?
Harco
Donator

Post by Harco »

Lakigigar wrote: January 11th, 2022, 11:29 am I don't like it either, but what can you do about it?
Block everyone who posts those one-line reviews. Started doing that recently and it helps a little.
:ICM: | :letbxd:
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

I mean, if you're going to letterboxd for deep and insightful reviews, that's on you...
Teproc

Post by Teproc »

flavo5000 wrote: January 11th, 2022, 4:47 pm I mean, if you're going to letterboxd for deep and insightful reviews, that's on you...
They do exist if you follow the right people (not me, my reviews are not jokes, but they're generally short and not that insightful). They do exist!
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

flavo5000 wrote: January 11th, 2022, 4:47 pm I mean, if you're going to letterboxd for deep and insightful reviews, that's on you...
I don't know about deep and insightful necessarily, but I generally prefer Letterboxd reviews to IMDb comments. Sure, there is lots of scrolling through bad one-line jokes, but there is still a decent chunk of well written stuff out there.
|iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | Gold Derby
Long live the new flesh!