Welcome to the ICM Forum.

If you notice any issues please post in the Q&A thread. If the main forum isn't loading correctly, try clearing browser cache. There appears to be an issue with board emails, this should only impact registration or account recovery. If you encounter this issue, contact PeacefulAnarchy This might take a couple of days to fix.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 41 released November 15th: The ICMForum Film Festival: Main Slate & Highlights)
iCinema Magazine: WE ARE LIVE! (We just need more content)
ICMForum Film Festival: Mon Nov 15 - Dec 13
Polls: 1946 (Results), USA (Nov 28th), Sport (Nov 30th)
Challenges: Noir, War, Argentina/Brazil/Py/Uy
Managers Cup: QF Schedule, QFA: sacmersault vs filmbantha (Dec 12th)
About: Welcome All New Members, Terms of Use, Q&A

Rest in Peace

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

3eyes wrote: September 17th, 2021, 6:15 pm I saw Song of the Open Road in the theater. Don't remember much else about Jane Powell, though.
Looks like it was a small part, I suppose typical given that it was her first film - MGM had some faith in her, but not enough to make her a star right away - in fact that first film was a loan-out to UA. Did you get to see a lot of films when you were a kid? My mom, who grew up in a rural area and whose family was pretty poor, told me she never saw a movie until she was 14 or 15 - Green Grass of Wyoming in 1948.

Pretty sure I've confused Jane with Eleanor Powell more than once - both co-starred with Astaire, both had relatively small film careers, but both fairly big names to the classic musical lovers. I guess I'm still not a hardcore enough fan of the stuff to keep them straight all the time or to be able to call to mind what makes either of them distinctive, but I think some of that has to do with neither of them really being in many truly significant films. Still it shows just how much song and dance there is for me to still explore.
3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes »

OldAle1 wrote: September 17th, 2021, 6:50 pm
3eyes wrote: September 17th, 2021, 6:15 pm I saw Song of the Open Road in the theater. Don't remember much else about Jane Powell, though.
Looks like it was a small part, I suppose typical given that it was her first film - MGM had some faith in her, but not enough to make her a star right away - in fact that first film was a loan-out to UA. Did you get to see a lot of films when you were a kid? My mom, who grew up in a rural area and whose family was pretty poor, told me she never saw a movie until she was 14 or 15 - Green Grass of Wyoming in 1948.

Pretty sure I've confused Jane with Eleanor Powell more than once - both co-starred with Astaire, both had relatively small film careers, but both fairly big names to the classic musical lovers. I guess I'm still not a hardcore enough fan of the stuff to keep them straight all the time or to be able to call to mind what makes either of them distinctive, but I think some of that has to do with neither of them really being in many truly significant films. Still it shows just how much song and dance there is for me to still explore.
I seem to remember there was quite a bit of buzz about Jane Powell before this movie came out. (That would be via our local paper, I guess.) All I remember is her singing while riding a bike. But I think she was a major character in the movie. From the synopsis on IMDb I see that it was one of those patriotic wartime home front things -- I prolly didn't get that. (I would have been 9 or so at the time.)

We had 4 theaters in our town 2 of which I was allowed to go to - if anybody would take me. I was mad about movies even then and never got my fill, being at the mercy of my elders. But yeah, I saw quite a lot.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Mario Camus, 86

Spanish director and screenwriter, best known for Los Santos Inocentes and La Colmena.
Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović »

John Challis, dies of cancer at 79.

Best known as Boycie from Only Fools and Horses.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Willie Garson
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0308606/
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/wil ... 47257.html

(he was also part of the SG-1 franchise as Martin Lloyd)
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Melvin Van Peebles, 89.

Groundbreaking black independent filmmaker, best known as the writer/director of Sweet Sweetback's Baadassss Song and Watermelon Man. His work was recently honored with a Criterion Collection box set.
🏳️‍⚧️
Honey Bunny wrote: Any of you fucking pricks move and I'll execute every motherfucking last one of ya!
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Oh. Good timing from Citerion then, in an (un)lucky way.
Did watch Sweet Sweet last month and absolutely didn't like it. The background info on the film's production are a romp though with stuff like this: "Van Peebles contracted gonorrhea when filming one of the many sex scenes, and successfully applied to the Directors Guild in order to get workers' compensation because he was "hurt on the job." Van Peebles used the money to purchase more film."
(And of course it has, as the LoC would call it, some certain cultural or (film) historical merit)
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Torgo wrote: September 22nd, 2021, 9:18 pm Oh. Good timing from Citerion then, in an (un)lucky way.
Did watch Sweet Sweet last month and absolutely didn't like it. The background info on the film's production are a romp though with stuff like this: "Van Peebles contracted gonorrhea when filming one of the many sex scenes, and successfully applied to the Directors Guild in order to get workers' compensation because he was "hurt on the job." Van Peebles used the money to purchase more film."
(And of course it has, as the LoC would call it, some certain cultural or (film) historical merit)
Yeah, the debates about Sweet Sweetback's, especially within the black community itself, is fascinating. I tend to be more sympathetic to views that are critical of the movie's value as a work of revolutionary art. But its cultural impact can't be overstated. For that alone, Melvin Van Peebles was a huge figure in American cinema.
yllow

Post by yllow »

Nice he got the Criterion treatment while alive to appreciate the industry kudos but yeah RIP
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Roger Michell, 65

British TV and film director, best known for Notting Hill, Changing Lanes, Enduring Love, Venus, and Hyde Park on Hudson.
Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway »

Tommy Kirk, 79, best known as a child star in a series of Disney films in the 50s and 60s, including Old Yeller.. :rip:

I believe he was the last Old Yeller star?
Good_Will_Harding

Post by Good_Will_Harding »

I know he's been gone for over a month now, but I just rediscovered this old Ed Asner clip and had to share.
Redravenbell

Post by Redravenbell »

Eichii Yamamoto, 80, director of Belladonna of Sadness, Cleopatra, A Thousand and One Nights.

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/rip/rip-eii ... 09024.html
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Ruthie Thompson, American animator, 111.

Born in Portland, ME in 1910, Thompson relocated with her family to Los Angeles in 1918, where she met brothers Roy and Walt Disney, who lived a few doors down. She apparently appeared in some of the "Alice comedies", live action/animated shorts that were among Disney's first film efforts, several years before the creation of Mickey Mouse.

Thompson was one of the many unheralded workers - many of them women - who helped put together Walt Disney's early successes, working in the ink and paint department on his first several features starting with 1937's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. She worked for the mouse house for 40 years and later worked on Ralph Bakshi's The Lord of the Rings. It's unfortunate that probably only her extremely advanced age helped to get her any notice as one of the pioneers in American animation, and who knows what other stories from those early years are still in the dustbin of history, because their tellers didn't live to see a world that is (finally) starting to care a little bit more about the contributions of everybody.
Here's to the fools who dream.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Gary Paulsen, 82

Prolific American writer of children's literature, including the young adult classic Hatchet (adapted to the screen in 1990 as A Cry in the Wild).
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

blocho wrote: October 14th, 2021, 2:28 am Gary Paulsen, 82

Prolific American writer of children's literature, including the young adult classic Hatchet (adapted to the screen in 1990 as A Cry in the Wild).
Read Hatchet in first grade and then a couple times after that. RIP.
🏳️‍⚧️
Honey Bunny wrote: Any of you fucking pricks move and I'll execute every motherfucking last one of ya!
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Khalid Al Siddiq, 76

Kuwaiti screenwriter/director, best known for Bas Ya Bahar (Cruel Sea) from 1972.
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

OldAle1 wrote: October 12th, 2021, 1:47 pm Image

Ruthie Thompson, American animator, 111.

Born in Portland, ME in 1910, Thompson relocated with her family to Los Angeles in 1918, where she met brothers Roy and Walt Disney, who lived a few doors down. She apparently appeared in some of the "Alice comedies", live action/animated shorts that were among Disney's first film efforts, several years before the creation of Mickey Mouse.

Thompson was one of the many unheralded workers - many of them women - who helped put together Walt Disney's early successes, working in the ink and paint department on his first several features starting with 1937's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. She worked for the mouse house for 40 years and later worked on Ralph Bakshi's The Lord of the Rings. It's unfortunate that probably only her extremely advanced age helped to get her any notice as one of the pioneers in American animation, and who knows what other stories from those early years are still in the dustbin of history, because their tellers didn't live to see a world that is (finally) starting to care a little bit more about the contributions of everybody.
Wow, 111 years! Thanks for sharing, Aley.
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
More memorable quotes
OldAle1 wrote:I think four Aamir Khan films is enough for me. Unless I'm down to one film left on the IMDb Top 250 at some point and he's in that last film, at which point I'll watch it and then shoot myself having become the official-check-whoring person I hate.
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
Torgo wrote:Lammetje is some kind of hybrid Anna-Kendrick-lamb-entity to me and I find that very cool.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Paul Salata, 94

An American football player and actor of almost no renown. He played two seasons in the NFL and two more in the CFL and didn't accomplish much. He appeared in 17 movies, mostly in the 1950s, almost always as an extra.

So why do I mention him? Two reasons.
- First, he was one of only three living cast members from Stalag 17, one of my favorite movies ever. The other two were also uncredited extras (including Larry Storch, which may be a familiar name to some people).
- Second, Salata was the creator of Mr. Irrelevant, the mocking sobriquet given every year to the last pick in the NFL Draft. Over the years, it has grown into a cultural phenomenon, featuring a whole week of events and celebrations.
tirefeet

Post by tirefeet »

Thanks for mentioning him blocho. Didn't know about Salata but learned plenty from your post.

If I had to guess Salata is a Czech or a Slovak name. The word "salata", unrelated to the name is used for salad in Turkish.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Felipe Cazals, 84

Mexican screenwriter/director, probably best known for Canoa (1976).
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Colin Powell, 84, politician, dying from Covid complications

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/10/18/poli ... index.html

Some might remember him from his career under George W. Bush. It's possible that another thread will be bumped for this.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Torgo wrote: October 18th, 2021, 1:06 pm It's possible that another thread will be bumped for this.
I would hope not. Powell was a good guy who stepped down when he found out the WMD thing was bullshit. They lied to him too. As someone who detests the Bush administration, I like and respect Colin Powell. Also, he was double vaccinated and still died, so that sucks.
🏳️‍⚧️
max-scl

Post by max-scl »

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface »

kongs_speech wrote: October 18th, 2021, 1:09 pm
Torgo wrote: October 18th, 2021, 1:06 pm It's possible that another thread will be bumped for this.
I would hope not. Powell was a good guy who stepped down when he found out the WMD thing was bullshit. They lied to him too. As someone who detests the Bush administration, I like and respect Colin Powell. Also, he was double vaccinated and still died, so that sucks.
He had myeloma and unfortunately those kind of blood cancers screw your immune system, which means vaccines will likely be much less effective.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

kongs_speech wrote: October 18th, 2021, 1:09 pm
I think it's a little more complicated. At the most crucial moment of his career, Powell made a choice. He did it under heavy pressure, but by his own account he went against his own judgment. It's a good reminder to all of us about doing the things which are right even when they're very difficult.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/16/maga ... q-war.html

Nor is it accurate to say he stepped down in protest. He remained in his office nearly two years after the invasion of Iraq. He only left because Bush told him he had to resign.

Still, Powell belongs in this thread because he lived a life of service, occasionally at considerable personal risk. Because he had good intentions. And because he's simply not comparable to the cretinous gnomes with which he occasionally served. But his legacy is complicated.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Leslie Bricusse, 90

British songwriter with a long career in film. He wrote Feeling Good, which became a hit for Nina Simone, and all the songs for Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory, including The Candy Man and Pure Imagination. He also provided the lyrics for the theme songs in two Bond movies, You Only Live Twice and ...

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Halyna Hutchins, 42.

Cinematographer killed in a freak tragedy today on the set of the upcoming western Rust. Alec Baldwin was unknowingly handed a weapon with a live round. When he fired the gun for a scene, the bullet struck Hutchins and the film's director, Joel Souza. Souza is in emergency care.

Can't even imagine how Baldwin feels right now. A truly chilling scenario.
🏳️‍⚧️
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Brandon Lee all over again. Sad and awful.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

What the heck.
Sad.
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome »

Why is this kind of shit still happening on movie sets…yikes. Crazy and sad.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda »

Unbelievable and shocking news
"Art is like a fire, it is born from the very thing it burns" - Jean-Luc Godard
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

George Butler, 78

British documentarian, probably best known for Pumping Iron, the movie that introduced Arnold Schwarzenegger to audiences beyond the body building community. For those who haven't seen it, Pumping Iron is very entertaining, but it's also a movie where a lot of the narrative was purposefully manufactured by the filmmakers.
RolandKirkSunglasses

Post by RolandKirkSunglasses »

James Michael Tyler a.k.a. Gunther from "Friends", dead at 59 from prostate cancer

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Mort Sahl, 94

American comedian. I'm not personally familiar with his work, but I know he was one of the most successful stand-up comedians of the 50s and 60s.
Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway »

Dean Stockwell :rip:
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Nathan Treadway wrote: November 9th, 2021, 8:28 am Dean Stockwell :rip:
:( Always enjoy his presence in film/TV... "died peacefully at home of natural causes" that's nice at least. :rip:
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | LastFM | TSZDT

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes »

Stockwell was just a baby - 9 months younger than me.

I most recently saw him in The Magic Garden, which enthralled my granddaughter. He was also in Wrong is Right, a little known (and very prescient) movie from the 80s which has long been a fave of mine.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Nathan Treadway wrote: November 9th, 2021, 8:28 am Dean Stockwell :rip:
I actually just started watching Quantum Leap as the post-Sunday family brunch/dinner show. He is undoubtedly the highlight. Sad news indeed.