Welcome to the ICM Forum.
Check out our Magazine

If you notice any issues please post in the Q&A thread. Email issue should be fixed. If you encounter this issue, contact PeacefulAnarchy
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 66 released Dec 30th: Is Hype Overhyped?)
Podcast: Talking Images (Special Episode released Jan 8th: The Experiments of Michael Snow)
iCinema Magazine: WE ARE LIVE! (We just need more content)
ICMForum Film Festival 2022 Nov 14 - Dec 12
World Cup - Season 5: Round 1 Schedule, Match 1B (Feb 5th)
Polls: Noir (Results), Spain (Results), Directors (Jan 2nd), 1992 (Jan 28th), Sweden (Jan 31st), China (Feb 7th)
Challenges: 1000<400, Sci-Fi/Fantasy, Central Europe
About: Welcome All New Members, Terms of Use, Q&A

ICMF-FF7: Programmer's Thread

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

sol wrote: January 6th, 2023, 4:32 pm
zzzorf wrote: January 6th, 2023, 4:37 am programmers spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1100765182
Whenever I click this link, it automatically opens at the 2022 tab. Is there a way of changing this? Thanks. B)
Use this link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =680819982
Cinematic Omnivore 🧚‍♂️🦫
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

beavis wrote: January 6th, 2023, 11:11 am in the meantime, I've made a first selection of my possible festival candidates, hitting 31 options already atm

Too bad (what turned out to be the) Condor Plata winner "El perro que no calla" was shot down so unnanimously last time by us... but LatAm seems to be given a hard time all round :)

La Internacional Cinéfila Poll: Best Movies of 2022

Honorable Mentions
Unrest - Cyril Schäublin
Will-o'-the-Wisp - João Pedro Rodrigues

Debut Film
Aftersun - Charlotte Wells

My remarks: Will-o'-the-Wisp might be a cool one for LGBTQ, a short little musical with a lot of camp and explicitness, the very definition of gay. I couldn't give it an 8 for my taste, but would fully support it. Unrest is one film I'm considering. Pacifiction I should also consider, I liked it a lot, but I feel it needs to have a chance to get a proper cinema run first, maybe next year, is what I was thinking...
I don't think I've seen any of the ones you've mentioned so far, but Will-o-the-Wisp was already on my radar, and I just found out about Unrest earlier this week. Aftersun is another that I'm really interested in, but it's already above the threshold.

El perro que no calla just expired on Mubi at the end of last month, but I didn't have the time to prioritize it. Had I realized it was a Festival nom I would have squeezed it in.
Cinematic Omnivore 🧚‍♂️🦫
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

beavis wrote: January 6th, 2023, 7:39 pm I noticed I had three "Berlin Encounters" posters amongst my nominations. I've never been to that festival, but the Encounters section programming does seem to line up with what I associate more with IFFR, Locarno and FID... the hardcore cinephile arthouse taste... Of course all the major festivals try to cater to this taste somewhat too these days, but I hadn't specifically looked at this Berlin section yet! Here is an LB list that neatly covers the period we're scouting for:

https://letterboxd.com/bluetaraxia/list ... -earliest/

I've seen 20/42 at the moment and have quite a few lined up actually, so that's not bad... maybe there is something more to explore here for me, Gloede certainly, others hopefully too!

quote from the Berlinale festival homepage:
"Encounters is a platform aiming to foster aesthetically and structurally daring works from independent, innovative filmmakers. Its goal is to support new perspectives in cinema and to give more room to diverse narrative and documentary forms in the official selection.

Conceived as a counterpoint and a complement to Competition, Encounters is a competitive section devoted to new cinematic visions. The films selected will challenge traditional forms and ask viewers to reconsider their positions in relation to them. Being a mirror of the different ways of production that have developed in the 21st century and reflecting this vibrant energy, Encounters will become a meeting point for filmmakers and producers, programmers and film critics, cinephiles and festival lovers.

Not distinguishing between genres, Encounters comprises usually around 15 works - world or international premieres of fiction or documentary films of at least 60 minutes in length."
Well, you've still got a month until the festival. Berlin's not that far from Amsterdam... you could make a weekend trip out of it :D
Cinematic Omnivore 🧚‍♂️🦫
beavis

Post by beavis »

I'm already going to take time off for the IFFR, Berlin is never an option for me 😀

About the festival setup change proposal. The mainslate need not be increased. There is room to raise it slightly from 10 as we do ask a juror investment of Main+1 slate extra currently, so that would be 14... but raising it to 12 seems a nice compromise? A 3 movie/week investment seems very doable, right?
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

beavis wrote: January 6th, 2023, 9:06 pm I'm already going to take time off for the IFFR, Berlin is never an option for me 😀

About the festival setup change proposal. The mainslate need not be increased. There is room to raise it slightly from 10 as we do ask a juror investment of Main+1 slate extra currently, so that would be 14... but raising it to 12 seems a nice compromise? A 3 movie/week investment seems very doable, right?
It does, but any increase in investment to complete the main slate will be offset by a decrease in participation for the other slates. So it's a tradeoff we have to be willing to accept.
Cinematic Omnivore 🧚‍♂️🦫
zzzorf

Post by zzzorf »

Ok well it seems like all the old team is back. I've sent out invites to others so we may get someone new in but otherwise we still have a strong core as proven last year. We already have a healthy start point with a lot of movies nominated, more than normal, which has me rethinking my one a week idea for myself and maybe chucking up a handful now.

Anyway our main goal at the moment is trying to decide how we want the festival to look so I propose a quick poll on our two main options and then once we know which one we prefer we can look at how many movies go in each.

My vote is to keep the old format of main and minor slates.

Ongoing Results:
Main and minor slates 1
In competition and out of competition 0
beavis

Post by beavis »

I think most of us seemed uncertain about the need for a change, but with some percieved possible slight advantages of the proposed new format willing to go along with a majority vote... When asked to actively vote for the change like this, it becomes slightly more difficult 😀 will one of us want to lead that vote?
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

I haven’t watched enough new films to contribute much as a programmer and want to focus on my backlog this year but excited to see what you pros come up (and whatever format is decided).
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | Letterboxd | Linktree | TSZDT

sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Ongoing Results:
Main and minor slates 1
In competition and out of competition 1

I don't really care that much though, and with it being only my second year as programmer, I don't want to rock the boat too much.

The main advantages, to my mind, of the proposed new system is that:

(a) it would funnel discussion for all non-Main Slate films into a single thread
(b) it would give participants the ability to choose what extra films they watch rather than committing to four for a single theme/region
(c) it would allow every programmer to get a bit of their taste in the final lineup, rather than relying on convincing others to watch their films

But yeah, I'll go with the majority on this of course.
|iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | Gold Derby
Long live the new flesh!
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Second brand new nomination:

5. Incredible But True Incroyable mais vrai (2022, Quentin Dupieux, France)

:ICM: https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/inc ... mais+vrai/
:imdb: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13145534/reference/
:letbxd: https://letterboxd.com/film/incredible-but-true/

Preferred slate: Just Before Dawn --- Alternative slate: Europe

Image Image

Trying to age gracefully and enjoy his new home, a middle aged man becomes reluctantly caught up in the incredible-but-true ways that his wife and boss have found to make themselves feel younger in this amusing Quentin Dupieux comedy. Dupieux has given us giant flies, talking leather coats and murderous tires, and this fits well alongside his other ventures into the fantastical as his wife uses a portal in their home to gradually age backwards while his boss is obsessed with a newly installed electronic penis that helps him perform well in bed, but which constantly malfunctions. Both of these ideas could have made for interesting films of their own, but having both ideas in the one film really works as the protagonist finds himself unable to escape others who believe that "getting old is horrible", whether at work or at home. It is all very funny too.

Recommended to: Onderhond and filmbantha, since they are both massive Dupieux fans (it's streaming on Arrow at the moment, Tom). I can tell that beavis has already seen and liked it from the film's Letterboxd main page. Not sure what the other programmers would think, but if any of them have liked what they have seen from Dupieux so far, this is very similar in spirit and equally as thought-provoking and fun.
Long live the new flesh!
zzzorf

Post by zzzorf »

sol wrote: January 7th, 2023, 2:50 am Ongoing Results:
Main and minor slates 1

I don't really care that much though, and with it being only my second year as programmer, I don't want to rock the boat too much.

The main advantages, to my mind, of the proposed new system is that:

(a) it would funnel discussion for all non-Main Slate films into a single thread
(b) it would give participants the ability to choose what extra films they watch rather than committing to four for a single theme/region
(c) it would allow every programmer to get a bit of their taste in the final lineup, rather than relying on convincing others to watch their films

But yeah, I'll go with the majority on this of course.
If we do go with the old system I am contemplating combining the threads together. Possibly one for the area slates and one for the genre slates. As to everyone getting their taste in the final line-up I worry that it may dilute the movies a bit, I mean come-on I give some really bad nominations and I could easily slip one of them into the out of competition section.
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

zzzorf wrote: January 7th, 2023, 3:09 am If we do go with the old system I am contemplating combining the threads together. Possibly one for the area slates and one for the genre slates.
Yes, I think that would be a lot better! :thumbsup:
zzzorf wrote: January 7th, 2023, 3:09 amAs to everyone getting their taste in the final line-up I worry that it may dilute the movies a bit, I mean come-on I give some really bad nominations and I could easily slip one of them into the out of competition section.
When I originally proposed the idea of each programmer being able submit two films of their own choosing, I did say that there should be some minimum qualification and I suggested 2x3 as a minimum. I don't see any problem with us each submitting a personal choice film that at least one other programmer fully backs up.
Long live the new flesh!
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Third brand new nomination:

6. My Neighbor Adolf השכן שלי אדולף (2022, Leon Prudovsky, Israel/Poland)

:ICM: https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/my+neighbor+adolf/
:imdb: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7175968/reference/
:letbxd: https://letterboxd.com/film/my-neighbor-adolf/

Preferred slate: Asia --- Alternative slate: Europe

Image Image

Living in isolation in after losing his entire family in the Holocaust, a Polish ex-pat becomes convinced that his new neighbour is Adolf Hitler in this curious film. The movie is part paranoia thriller and part comedy. There are some very juvenile gags (dog droppings; urination problems), but of the comedy mostly clicks though, particularly his camera setting-up woes, and all of the paranoia parts sizzle as he hides in night shadows to spy etc. His situation also begins to eerily mirror history with the neighbour seizing part of his property and a lawyer who marches troop style. The film milks surprising mileage too from the is-he-or-isn't-he basic premise, with lots evidence stacking up against the neighbour until spanners are thrown in. Best of all though is the uneasy friendship that develops between the two men. Udo Kier is expectedly solid as the mysterious man, but David Hayman shines brightest, balancing a clear unease around his new neighbour with an unstoppable desire to prod further.

Recommended to: Anyone who loves Rear Window (everyone except Onder?) and who doesn't mind a bit of comedy. Feels like Chris might like this one the most, but you never know with Wayne and maybe there are enough genre elements to win over Tom.
Long live the new flesh!
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

sol wrote: January 7th, 2023, 3:01 am Recommended to: Onderhond and filmbantha, since they are both massive Dupieux fans (it's streaming on Arrow at the moment, Tom).
Hadn't even realized it was out. Would've watched this in a heartbeat regardless, so thanks for the heads up!
beavis

Post by beavis »

zzzorf wrote: January 6th, 2023, 10:48 pm My vote is to keep the old format of main and minor slates.
Ongoing Results:
Main and minor slates 2

Since everyone seems unsure and willing to follow, i've decided to follow our new captain in the end.
The fact that he wants to take on the reducing of threads in a different way clinched it
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Onderhond wrote: January 7th, 2023, 8:08 am
sol wrote: January 7th, 2023, 3:01 am Recommended to: Onderhond and filmbantha, since they are both massive Dupieux fans (it's streaming on Arrow at the moment, Tom).
Hadn't even realized it was out. Would've watched this in a heartbeat regardless, so thanks for the heads up!
No problem. :thumbsup: Hope you like it!
Long live the new flesh!
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Really exiting set of nominees so far everyone, including some I had been planning to see + films I'm giving instant support to.

Dozens of North is the one I'm the most excited about, looks truly special.

Like Sol, I also find Strawberry Mansion very alluring and kinda imagine it to have something in common with Sol's excellent nom last year "Greener Gass", a zany, semi-surreal American indie.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

beavis wrote: January 6th, 2023, 11:11 am in the meantime, I've made a first selection of my possible festival candidates, hitting 31 options already atm
(n.b. this is a lot of data I'm putting in this post, hopefully as inspiration and future reference for some, including myself ;))

9 - 2400 - Petrovy v grippe (2021)
9 - 8700 - Memoria (2021)
8,5 - 20 - Il n'y a pas de faux métier (2020)
8,5 - 36 - Beatrix (2021)
8,5 - 114 - Ste. Anne (2021)
8,5 - 221 - Unrueh (2022)
8,5 - 314 - A Night of Knowing Nothing (2021)
8,5 - 468 - El año del descubrimiento (2020)
8,5 - 620 - Mosquito (2020)
8,5 - 1300 - Das Mädchen und die Spinne (2021)
8,5 - 1300 - Malmkrog (2020)
8,5 - 1500 - Strawberry Mansion (2021)
8,5 - 1600 - Fabian oder Der Gang vor die Hunde (2021)
8,5 - 1800 - Flux Gourmet (2022)
8,5 - 2500 - Azor (2021)
8,5 - 5800 - Vortex (2021)
8 - 8 - Un musée dort (2020)
8 - 41 - Ikuta no kita (2021)
8 - 105 - Kun maupay man it panahon (2021)
8 - 105 - Fellwechselzeit (2020)
8 - 182 - Soul of a Beast (2021)
8 - 457 - Viens je t'emmène (2022)
8 - 467 - Vidblysk (2021)
8 - 608 - Friends and Strangers (2021)
8 - 733 - Luxor (2020)
8 - 1500 - Ninjababy (2021)
8 - 1600 - Ras vkhedavt, rodesac cas vukurebt? (2021)
8 - 2200 - Dasatskisi (2020) Beginning
8 - 3500 - France (2021)
8 - 5100 - Dorogie tovarishchi (2020)
8 - 7300 - Gûzen to sôzô (2021)
My support for the ones I have seen

2 - Petrovy v grippe (2021)
2 - Memoria (2021)
2 - Beatrix (2021)
0 - Ste. Anne (2021)
1 - A Night of Knowing Nothing (2021)
2 - El año del descubrimiento (2020)
2 - Mosquito (2020)
3 - Das Mädchen und die Spinne (2021)
3 - Malmkrog (2020)
3 - Azor (2021)
3 - Vortex (2021)
0 - Un musée dort (2020)
2 - Friends and Strangers (2021)
3 - Ninjababy (2021)
2 - Ras vkhedavt, rodesac cas vukurebt? (2021)
2 - Beginning
1 - France (2021)
3 - Dorogie tovarishchi (2020)
3 - Gûzen to sôzô (2021)
beavis

Post by beavis »

sol wrote: January 7th, 2023, 3:01 am 5. Incredible But True Incroyable mais vrai (2022, Quentin Dupieux, France)
I can tell that beavis has already seen and liked it from the film's Letterboxd main page.
I like Dupieux very much in general, and his films are always entertaining. But as a director I have to admit he can be a bit uneven and you have to really like absurdist comedy like me to appreciate the things he is trying out. This one I think is one of his weaker efforts. I gave it a 7. So in past festivals that might have been a 2 in support, but this year I'm trying out a bit of a strickter rating in the Excel sheet where I'll give

- a 3 support only if I gave the movie an 8 or higher (or if it is a strong 7.5 and I think the movie will be a big hit with the intended audience, like I will give to João Pedro Rodrigues's gay firemen musical if it gets nominated, but I hope those to be rare exceptions),
- 2 to a 7.5 that I think would actually be very good for the festival and a
- 1 for the 7 scores that I think might actually do better than that in the festival; and the weaker 7.5 scores...
- 0 to all the rest

so I gave it just the 1 I'm afraid
(and I didn't gave it a like on LB btw, that is something I rarely do, and don't think I ever have done on a movie I rated 3.5 stars)
beavis

Post by beavis »

St. Gloede wrote: January 7th, 2023, 10:09 am
beavis wrote: January 6th, 2023, 11:11 am 8,5 - 1600 - Fabian oder Der Gang vor die Hunde (2021)
My support for the ones I have seen
I think you'd like Fabian the most from those you haven't seen
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

beavis wrote: January 7th, 2023, 10:11 am so I gave it just the 1 I'm afraid
(and I didn't gave it a like on LB btw, that is something I rarely do, and don't think I ever have done on a movie I rated 3.5 stars)
That's fine, that's what I meant by "like" - a positive rating. I knew it wouldn't be a 3 for you; I was hoping for a 2 but a 1 is fine also, especially since (as I found out last year) 1s are considered to be pretty positive scores when it comes to weighing up support for a film.

I am likewise planning to be a bit stricter with my scores too this year. At this stage, I'm not going to re-rate everything that has been carried over from last year, and my high point is still going to remain the same (anything I give a 3 is good enough to make my 500<400 list), but I am now only going to award 2s and 1s to films that fall just below that threshold.
Long live the new flesh!
filmbantha

Post by filmbantha »

It's great to see the nominations spreadsheet fill up so fast. Looks like a good mix of films that were on my radar and films I've never even heard of so I'm excited to delve into everyone's nominations.

My vote would be to keep the existing format. I think our focus would be better served on finding ways to increase participation through promotion/outreach and ensuring films in the programme are available to the majority of participants when the festival goes live. I will back our new captain and my fellow programmer's final decisions on this matter regardless though :thumbsup:

I've added ten nominations to the spreadsheet, four renominations and six brand new nominations. I don't have the time to present these in the lovely manner that everyone else does so apologies in advance but I'm hoping that they will pick up traction over time as people explore my nominations. First here are the renominations:

On The Count of Three (2021) Indie
https://icheckmovies.com/movies/on+the+count+of+three/
This superb black comedy explores the friendship between two suicidal men as they decide to go out with a bang on their last day alive. This is a lot of fun and surprisingly poignant with an awesome soundtrack.

The Feast (2021) JBD
https://icheckmovies.com/movies/the+feast-2021/
A visually striking, slow-burn, Welsh horror.

Ultrasound (2021) JBD/Indie
https://icheckmovies.com/movies/ultrasound/
Ultrasound is a puzzling sci-fi thriller about hypnosis that is best entered into knowing as little as possible. It's a real head trip with some great visuals and lots to unpack - I'm already looking forward to rewatching this gem. It flirts with horror elements but wouldn't feel out of place in the Indie slate either, although the dream is for this to make the main slate! I'm looking forward to seeing how other people react to this.

What Josiah Saw (2021) JBD
https://icheckmovies.com/movies/what+josiah+saw/
A brooding and atmospheric Southern Gothic film about an estranged family and their abusive father.

Here are my new nominations:

Absolute Denial (2021) Animation
https://icheckmovies.com/movies/absolute+denial/

A thought-provoking sci-fi animation about a computer programmer who dedicates his life to creating a powerful supercomputer. Creative visuals, engaging dialogue and a fittingly etheral soundtrack combine to make this a fantastic journey that is well worth watching.

As Bestas (2022) Euro
https://icheckmovies.com/movies/as+bestas/

One of my favourite films of 2022, a rare 8/10, this is a powerful Spanish/French thriller about a middle aged couple whose dream of starting a new life in the country is upended by the cold reception of the locals.

Brian and Charles (2022) Indie
https://icheckmovies.com/movies/brian+and+charles-2022/

A quirky British comedy about an inventor who builds a robot in his shed.

Resurrection (2022) JBD
https://icheckmovies.com/movies/resurrection-2022/

Another one of my favourite films of 2022, and yet again a rare 8/10. This is a stunning psychological horror film with excellent performances from Rebecca Hall and Tim Roth as an estranged couple dealing with a tumultuous past. Thematically, this covers a lot of similar territory to Garland's Men, though this is a far more accomplished and considered effort, and that's coming from someone who really enjoyed Men. (Love how the last part of that sentence is unintentionally funny thanks to the film's name :D !)

Saloum (2021) JBD/Africa
https://icheckmovies.com/movies/saloum/

This is a Senegalese horror/thriller that oozes with style. it follows a trio of dangerous criminals who seek refuge at a remote location only to realise that their presumed safe haven is far from what it first seems.

The Timekeepers Of Eternity (2021) Animation
https://icheckmovies.com/movies/the+tim ... +eternity/

A bold reworking of Stephen King's The Langoliers, this inventive animation from Greek direction Aristotelis Maragkos condenses the three hour miniseries into just over an hour's worth of footage with some choice editing and using an enchanting experimental method of printing each frame on paper and reshaping the images to create a hypnotic otherworldy effect.

Also, if anyone wishes to renominate any of my films that didn't make the cut last year then please feel free to do so :whistling:
filmbantha

Post by filmbantha »

I've also given a rating of 2 to both Flux Gourmet and Strawberry Mansion. They are both wildly original and certainly have a lot to offer for our festival. I would be happy to see them included though neither really resonated with me which is what holds them back from being a 3.
zzzorf

Post by zzzorf »

3-1 on keeping the current format, if Ferg, Gloede or Onderhond vote in favour of the current format I will call the poll over and we will work with that as our goal.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Absolutely happy to keep the current format, so 4-1
zzzorf

Post by zzzorf »

Ok well I call that the majority vote, because at best the vote can only go 4-3. So for this festival we will continue with the current format and we can revisit next year if we think a change may still be needed.
zzzorf

Post by zzzorf »

Also if everyone is enjoying this mass nominations now I may forgot my weekly nominations and do the same. Last year the format worked well for me but limited computer time means I may not be as consistent getting them out and the fact my movie watching time has diminished and with a major focus of mine being the World Cup/split with this I'm not going to get to see as many more potential nominees and can therefore focus more on seeing what you guys offer up.

That is though if you guys prefer my one a week nomination which kept the thread active, I'm happy to do so. You just all seemed pleased having all these options right out of the bat.
beavis

Post by beavis »

Keeping the thread alive should be done, but is not only dependent on your nominations. Getting them out of the way would be fine if that gives you some breathing room. And in general i think the more nominations, and the sooner, the better. My watchlists for the coming few months seem already set in stone by now... (fluid stone, but they are full up is what i mean)
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

zzzorf wrote: January 7th, 2023, 11:20 am That is though if you guys prefer my one a week nomination which kept the thread active, I'm happy to do so. You just all seemed pleased having all these options right out of the bat.
I don't think there will be any issue with keeping the thread active. I still plan to post here and share my thoughts for every nomination that I watch - and I plan to watch them all.

I don't know how important is it get out everything early; I just know that I did myself a disserve my joining the game relatively "late" in the proceedings last year (Ferg wasn't able to find time for any of my recommendations etc.) so I would rather give everyone ample opportunity to watch the films that I hope to do well this year. I'm going to save a few spots in case other favourites crop during the year, but I know from experience that saving everything until near the end didn't work for me. Just my personal experience. Obviously, you've been doing this for longer, so I would do whatever works for you!
Long live the new flesh!
zzzorf

Post by zzzorf »

sol wrote: January 7th, 2023, 12:16 pm
zzzorf wrote: January 7th, 2023, 11:20 am That is though if you guys prefer my one a week nomination which kept the thread active, I'm happy to do so. You just all seemed pleased having all these options right out of the bat.
I don't think there will be any issue with keeping the thread active. I still plan to post here and share my thoughts for every nomination that I watch - and I plan to watch them all.

I don't know how important is it get out everything early; I just know that I did myself a disserve my joining the game relatively "late" in the proceedings last year (Ferg wasn't able to find time for any of my recommendations etc.) so I would rather give everyone ample opportunity to watch the films that I hope to do well this year. I'm going to save a few spots in case other favourites crop during the year, but I know from experience that saving everything until near the end didn't work for me. Just my personal experience. Obviously, you've been doing this for longer, so I would do whatever works for you!
I've only got 1 year on you, but I did start at the beginning both times. My first year I found I went to hard too fast and ran out of nominations to the point that I had a real good one come up and had to rely on someone else to nominate it for me. That movie won the documentary slate and maybe the audience award if memory serves me correctly. That is why I changed to the format I used last year. But the feel of this year makes me think that idea won't be as good this time.
zzzorf

Post by zzzorf »

Ok having a look over my potential nominations and there was 4 from last year I wanted to check in with their original programmers what their plan was for the movie this year. I noticed Gloede has moved two of them up and will probably be announcing them soon so that leaves 2 so Sol what is your plan for The Trouble With Being Born and Bantha what is your plan for Ballad of a White Cow.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Yes, will find and copy my write-ups from last year over tonight or tomorrow, but consider the films I moved up nominated.
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

zzzorf wrote: January 7th, 2023, 2:01 pm o Sol what is your plan for The Trouble With Being Born
I wasn't planning to re-nominate it, though I would of course support any push you would like to make to get it included in eligible sections this year. :thumbsup:

For what it's worth, I have already re-nominated all of the narrative films that I was planning to re-nom this year. I have three documentaries from last year that I am considering re-nominating (Stalking Chernobyl; Class Action Park; Made You Look) but considering how hard it was to entice others to view these last year, I don't know if they really stand more chance if I re-nom them this year. I mean, the last of those is freely available on Netflix and it didn't get a single viewing beyond my own.
Long live the new flesh!
filmbantha

Post by filmbantha »

zzzorf wrote: January 7th, 2023, 2:01 pm Ok having a look over my potential nominations and there was 4 from last year I wanted to check in with their original programmers what their plan was for the movie this year. I noticed Gloede has moved two of them up and will probably be announcing them soon so that leaves 2 so Sol what is your plan for The Trouble With Being Born and Bantha what is your plan for Ballad of a White Cow.
Ballad of a white cow is on my list of potential renominations but I'm not sure yet if I'll be renominating it as it's a crowded list! If you want to include it in your nominations that is cool, and I will of course fully support it :thumbsup:
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

And after sighing about how difficult it was to get others to view my documentary nominations last year, my next nomination is very cautiously:

7. Mister Organ (2022, David Farrier, New Zealand)

:ICM: https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/mister+organ/
:imdb: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt21996838/reference/
:letbxd: https://letterboxd.com/film/mister-organ/details/

Preferred slate: Documentary --- Alternative slate: English Language Indi

Image Image

Investigating an antiques store raking in thousands through wheel clamping and charging those who park illegally on their property, David Farrier uncovers a mysterious mastermind in this intriguing documentary. The legal loopholes of the clamping scheme are fascinating, as is Farrier tracking down the mastermind who has a chequered past. Indeed, for much of the first third of the documentary, it feels like Farrier has stumbled on someone as out-there as his Tickled subject. This isn't quite the case, but then the film gets very self-aware and meta as it evolves into a partially being a project about Farrier's concerns over having to make a film (committed to it with funding and all) and yet without actually anything as meaningful or insightful to say as his first movie. All very interesting stuff.

Recommended to: Anyone who loved Tickled, which was a previous iCMFF film. I think Chris might appreciate how deconstructed everything becomes.
Long live the new flesh!
beavis

Post by beavis »

My LB list of recommendations + movies I have lined up to watch is updated with all the new input
https://letterboxd.com/beavis/list/icmf ... atch-list/

I selected 10 movies from the currently nominated to give priority to, they are numbers 16-25 on the list
zzzorf

Post by zzzorf »

Nomination #2

The Trouble with Being Born (2020)

Preferred Slate: Euro

Alternate Slate: N/A

Director: Sandra Wollner (F)

Links: :ICM: :imdb: :letbxd: :Crtiticker:

IMDb Plot Summary: Elli is an android programmed with memories that mean everything to her owner but nothing to her. The story of a machine and the ghosts we all carry within us.

Wikipedia Information: The Trouble with Being Born is a 2020 science fiction drama film directed and co-written by Sandra Wollner. An international co-production of Austria and Germany, the film depicts an android (Lena Watson) living with a man (Dominik Warta) as a replicant in place of his young daughter who had disappeared years prior.

On its premier at the 70th Berlin International Film Festival, the film garnered controversy for its depiction of a relationship between a man and a 10 year old child, albeit an android, that also resembles his daughter

My Two Cents: I'm taking one of Sol's nominations from last year for my 2nd, just because how close I was to nominating it myself last year and it was high on my list again this year (only Nitram and Strawberry Mansion were before it). I know it was a little split last year but all it takes is one more person to watch it and give it a 3 and we are in a different ballpark with it.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Might as well get some noms in myself then. I've seen 0 of the nominated films so far. :huh: Y'all didn't tell me this was the arthouse horror film festival. :lol:

Re-nominations:
1. Wildhood (2021 Canada) - 3 - LGBTQ+, Indie
2. Night Raiders (2021 Canada) - 3 - Indie, directed by a woman
3. A Perfectly Normal Family (En helt almindelig familie) (2020 Denmark) - 3 - LGBTQ+, Europe - directed by a woman

New nominations:
4. Yellow Cat (Sary mysyq) (2020 Kazakhstan) - 3 - Asia - As promised, I saved this one for this year. An absurd black comedy told mostly in a deadpan manner, this one will likely be hit or miss. The cinematography is pretty stunning, which will draw some people in, and I thought the acting was playful. There are lots of cinephile references that the characters make as well, which could be fun for people to spot. A change in tone could easily have turned this into a gritty crime drama, but I think I liked it more with the lighter tone.

5. Joyland (2022 Pakistan) - 3 - LGBTQ+, Asia - Absolutely one of the best films I saw last year, and a bit of a genuine surprise since I hadn't had much luck with Pakistani films prior. The trans character is the source of most of the "controversy" in the film, but she's actually not the main character in this ensemble piece. Her story is told, but the focus is on the younger brother of a family who's been unemployed and thus helping take care of his brother's wife and children in the family home, as well as his widower father. His wife, from an arranged marriage, works at a hair salon and loves what she does, but it becomes evident that the young couple care for and respect each other but don't love each other. The catalyst that starts it all is the young man getting a job as a backup dancer for the transwoman, causing his family to force his wife to quit her job and stay at home and help take care of the household. There's also mounting pressure on the young couple to have a child of their own (I think the older brother might only have girls, but I don't remember). From there, it follows the man, his wife, and the transwoman as they fight to live their lives with dignity and to maintain some sort of control over their destiny. The rest you'll just have to find out for yourself.

6. The Man with the Answers (2021 Cyprus) - 3 - LGBTQ+, Europe - A Greek man goes on a road trip through Italy on his way to see his mother who now lives in Germany (or Austria, I forget). On the ferry over he meets a young vagabond with whom he ends up taking along for a ride due to his knowledge of the country and the language. A kind of love-hate relationship develops, with a will-they-won't-they vibe as well. Much of the dialogue is in English, since neither man speaks the other's native tongue.

Other films:
If Gloede wants to nominate Zinder again, I'll continue to support it with a 2.
I also want to nominate Nandita Das's Zwigato and Mia Hansen-Løve's One Fine Morning with a 3 each, but I want to wait until they become available somewhere first.
My Nominations
Holdovers
1. Wildhood (2021 Canada) - 3 - LGBTQ+, Indie
2. Night Raiders (2021 Canada) - 3 - Indie, directed by a woman
3. A Perfectly Normal Family (En helt almindelig familie) (2020 Denmark) - 3 - LGBTQ+, Europe - directed by a woman

New nominations:
4. Yellow Cat (Sary mysyq) (2020 Kazakhstan) - 3 - Asia
5. Joyland (2022 Pakistan) - 3 - LGBTQ+, Asia
6. The Man with the Answers (2021 Cyprus) - 3 - LGBTQ+, Europe
Most of the films nominated so far don't really appeal to me, as almost 2/3 of them so far are either arthouse or horror. So I'm not sure what I'll commit to watch just yet, but here are some potentials
To Watch
Falling
Ninjababy
Brian and Charles
The Wandering Moon
Great Freedom (if it gets nominated)
Other Films I'm considering
Holdovers
Young Hunter (El cazador) (2020 Argentina) - 3 - LGBTQ+, Latin America

Others
Coalesce [Les affluents] (2020 Cambodia) - A 1 or a 2 from me, but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it. Not sure if it would go over well with this crowd, but it's something I may nominate if we're lacking for Asian films by the summer.
Sublet (2020 Israel) - Also a 1 or 2, but this might be a queer film that's a bit more accessible to straight folks, and it's from one of my favourite queer directors, Eytan Fox.
I'm off to a slow start this year when it comes to watching films (My annual spreadsheet update is taking longer than usual), but I hope to find at least 2 or 3 new African films to nominate by the end of Feb, among other things.
Cinematic Omnivore 🧚‍♂️🦫
zzzorf

Post by zzzorf »

Nomination #3

This Much I Know to Be True (2022)

Preferred Slate: Documentary

Alternate Slate: Indie

Director: Andrew Dominik

Links: :ICM: :imdb: :letbxd: :Crtiticker:

IMDb Plot Summary: Explores the creative relationship and songs from Nick Cave and Warren Ellis' last two studio albums, "Ghosteen" and "Carnage".

Wikipedia Information: This Much I Know to Be True is a 2022 British documentary film directed by Andrew Dominik. It is a companion to Dominik's documentary One More Time with Feeling (2016). The film had its world premiere on 12 February 2022 at the 72nd Berlin International Film Festival.

My Two Cents: This one is probably a longshot as it is for a specific audience but I had to go with it. A great look at a genius in action and I think that even people who know nothing about Nick Cave will find something in it.
Last edited by zzzorf on January 8th, 2023, 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
zzzorf

Post by zzzorf »

Fergenaprido wrote: January 8th, 2023, 12:21 am
4. Yellow Cat (Sary mysyq) (2020 Kazakhstan) - 3 - Asia - As promised, I saved this one for this year. An absurd black comedy told mostly in a deadpan manner, this one will likely be hit or miss. The cinematography is pretty stunning, which will draw some people in, and I thought the acting was playful. There are lots of cinephile references that the characters make as well, which could be fun for people to spot. A change in tone could easily have turned this into a gritty crime drama, but I think I liked it more with the lighter tone.
Unfortunately I couldn't give this film more than a 1. It had moments of greatness but I think in the end that lighter tone just didn't do as much for me as it did you.