Welcome to the ICM Forum.
Check out our Magazine

If you notice any issues please post in the Q&A thread. Email issue should be fixed. If you encounter this issue, contact PeacefulAnarchy
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 63 released November 13th: ICMFFF2022: Main Slate & Highlights)
iCinema Magazine: WE ARE LIVE! (We just need more content)
ICMForum Film Festival 2022 Nov 14 - Dec 12
World Cup - Season 5: Round 1 preparation (Submit your choice(s): Dec 1st)
Polls: 2000s (Results), 1924 (Results), Canada (Nov 30th), Horror (Nov 30th), 1941 (Dec 26th)
Challenges: Noir, Animation, Eastern Europe
About: Welcome All New Members, Terms of Use, Q&A

IMDb vs Letterboxd [TALKING IMAGES]

St. Gloede

IMDb vs Letterboxd [TALKING IMAGES]

Post by St. Gloede »

VS.

What say you ICM forum?

In this episode you will find out:

- Why Sol hates the owners of IMDb
- Who got into Letterboxd so early that the pro features are free
- Who reviews every single film they see on Letterboxd

Oh, and the topic at hand of course: which of these giant services are actually better - as that can be a difficult call!

Letterboxd and IMDb are like night and day. One is young, elegant and social, the other probably the most complete database of cinema that exists: so which of them wins? Which could we not live without, and where do they fall short?

Oh, and what about the other film websites out there like iCheckMovies, Criticker and Filmchart? Can any of them measure up and do any of them offer up something IMDb and Letterboxd can't provide?

You Can Listen Here:

Sounder: https://talking-images.sounder.fm/episo ... letterboxd

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/episode/45S768evJ4JJttv8l0sieG

Apple Podcasts: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/i ... 0581228266

Participants:
  • Matthieu / Teproc
  • Sol / Sol
  • Tom / Filmbantha
  • Chris / St. Gloede

Join the Conversation

Do you use both IMDb and Letterboxd?

How many film websites are you a member of in total?

How/why do you use IMDb?

How/why do you use Letterboxd?

What does IMDb do better than Letterboxd?

What does Letterboxd do better than IMDb?

If you could only pick one - IMDb and Letterboxd - which one would you pick? (And could you get along with just one of them?)

Are there any other website(s) that you actually think is better than IMDb and/or Letterboxd?

Is there anything IMDb or Letterboxd is missing/lacking that you really wish they would add?
What needs are not met by IMDb and Letterboxd? (And what websites cover them?)

Are you going to sign up to new websites because of this episode - or, are there any websites we really should have mentioned and need to sign up to ASAP?
Good_Will_Harding

Post by Good_Will_Harding »

Yes.

Those two, and this forum.

How/why do you use IMDb?

Pretty much only ratings, ever since the message boards were removed.

Lists mainly, since I'm a list whore.

Formerly, having the message boards, but now, probably nothing

Having a serious community of users with minimum to zero troll activity.

If you could only pick one - IMDb and Letterboxd - which one would you pick? (And could you get along with just one of them?)

Couldn't really decide at this point. What I do on one site I could use the other for with minimal adjustment to my routine.

Are there any other website(s) that you actually think is better than IMDb and/or Letterboxd?

They're the only ones I use, so I can't really say.

Is there anything IMDb or Letterboxd is missing/lacking that you really wish they would add?

Neither one has a message board at this point. IMDB could also patrol their ratings better so they aren't constantly manipulated by bots, trolls, etc

Aforementioned troll activity on IMDB needing to be addressed is my only main concern

Are you going to sign up to new websites because of this episode - or, are there any websites we really should have mentioned and need to sign up to ASAP?

Not sure, since I'm content with what I use now, but I'm always open to joining a new site
gunnar

Post by gunnar »

Yes

3 for tracking movies - IMDb, Letterboxd, ICM, plus this forum and the UAADB message board

How/why do you use IMDb?

I mainly use it just to look up information on movies, directors, actors, etc.

I log the films I watch there, follow some of the Academy Awards lists, and have a 'want list' of my own there.

More in depth information on films

The social aspect is the main thing that sticks out to me, plus list making and finding lists

I'd probably go with IMDb because of the information there, though I don't use it for logging films or making lists very often.

ICM is nice with its official and other lists

Being able to message other users directly would be nice.

Probably not.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

What the heck! IP theft - that title was my concept!
viewtopic.php?t=5568
:lol:

I learned a lot since I started that thread and feel more inclined than ever to give that episode a go.
Silga

Post by Silga »

Great topic!

Yes. I've joined IMDb in 2009 and Letterboxd in 2014.

IMDb, Letterboxd, MUBI (since 2011), SCFZ Forum (since 2014), ICM and ICM Forum (both since 2021).

How/why do you use IMDb?

I started rating films back in 2009 and I still rate every film I've watched. Also IMDb is my main website for searching films, finding films based on various criteria. I love IMDb's Advanced Title Search. Since joining ICM forum, I started making lists for polls on IMDb, since it's easier and more accessible when compared to ICM website.

I absolutely love Letterboxd. A great website that helped me to organize and enrich my cinefile experience. I use Letterboxd daily, to log my diary entries, compile watchlists, find out what my friends are watching.

IMDb has a better search options. Also I prefer browsing the filmographies on IMDb, esp. since IMDb allowed to separate credits (movie, tv, short, etc.).

LISTS, LISTS, LISTS. :D Also, better and more modern user interface.

I'd rather have both, but currently I'd choose Letterboxd.

Not at the moment. And I don't see a new competitor emerging any time soon.

Maybe some polls on Letteboxd would be cool. As for IMDb, I already tried their new upcoming look and immediately returned the old one while it's still possible. I hope they delay the permanent move to the new style for as long as possible.

My needs are fully covered by these two websites. I only started my ICM profile as a companion piece when I joined ICM forum, since I don't really care about watching films specifically from the so-called official lists.

I can't think of any other website at the moment.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

No

How/why do you use IMDb?

rate movies make lists

n/a

n/a

n/a

n/a

don't know

don't know

don't know
It was the truth, vivid and monstrous, that all the while he had waited the wait was itself his portion..
magnusbernhardsen

Post by magnusbernhardsen »

Yes, but I only log and rate on Letterboxd. Or, I do that on IMDb as well, but not consistently.

ICM
ICM forum
Letterboxd
Blu-ray.com
Laser Disc Data Base (inactive, tried to use it to register HD DVDs)
Invelos/DVD Profiler
Flickchart
Criticker
... probably some I forgot. I began discussing film at Norwegian forums diskusjon.no and AVforum.no, and on Yahoogroups like The Bombshelter (for HD DVD).

How/why do you use IMDb?
Mostly to find info on films. Locations, actors/crew, language, versions, all that.

Log everything I watch, make lists, read lists, some social interaction.

More info.

Integration with Justwatch, easier to make and find lists, easier to view stats.

The one I use most is Letterboxd, the one I would probably miss the most is IMDb.

I would like to have a better way to integrate film collections, so I could log which release I watched for example. This also goes for streaming etc., I would like to be able to log if I watched the DC or English dub or Dolby Vision and so on. I use tags for that on Letterboxd, but I would like separate sub-entries for different versions.

Not really, but I do feel there are (at least two) separate worlds in film discussions: collectors and cinephiles. Cinephiles watch a lot of stuff, in any video quality. Collectors seem to watch more of the ame films but in increasingly high quality. I find myself in-between.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Yes.

4. IMDb, iCM, Criticker, Letterboxd. I briefly had a Flickchart account a decade ago, but I deleted it after a few weeks because I found it frustrating and inefficient, especially for ranking thousands of films. I only rank my top films, and see no value in debating which 3.2/10 film is better. I also use Mubi, but only to watch films; I haven't started rating films there yet, though I keep thinking about it.

How/why do you use IMDb?
To rate films and for their database. It's the most comprehensive of all of them, and nothing beats their advanced search (as mentioned in the podcast). I also use it to create lists for our polls, since the imdblisthelper script makes it so easy. I've stopped using it for everything else, and I actually have the search page bookmarked instead of the home page.

To rate and log films, and to read reviews of friends who only use LB. Oh, and their stats. :wub: . That's the reason I bought a subscription.

Database, database, database.
Comprehensive advanced search with multiple parameters, especially including/excluding titles on various lists.
List editing.

It's pretty.
Fake ratings/review bombing are less of an issue.

IMDb.
Letterboxd is nice to have, but it's not essential for what I want to do, especially since I track everything in spreadsheets offline anyway.

Each website has its own strengths.
ICM is the best for creating user-friendly lists, showing changes in lists over time, and tracking progress on lists.
Criticker is best for using the full rating scale of 1-100, and I do like their predicted rating feature (and also enjoy when I "prove them wrong"). It also has JustWatch integration like LB - I don't think you can customize it, but it's a free feature.

I hate LB's world map. I mean, I like it in theory, but not in execution: It shades in all countries listed for a film (including minor financial partners), doesn't include former countries (so films from Yugoslavia and the Soviet Union won't show up), and the use of a single colour means that there's no meaningful visual distinction between a country with 2 films seen and 50 films seen, since they're both dwarfed by the USA with 2000 films seen.
If their list functionality was better I might start using it more.
Their search and browse functionalities leave a lot to be desired, so LB isn't great for discovering new films, only for logging seen films.
I also want the ability to reorder films seen on a particular day. If a film gets added to the database later and I log it, it automatically goes at the end of the day instead of where I want it to go.

The IMDb improvements ship has sailed long ago, and I no longer hope for any changes or improvements, except that their Get Satisfaction interactions become easier/more fruitful.

Nope.
Cinematic Omnivore πŸ§šβ€β™‚οΈπŸ¦«
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

OldAle1 wrote: ↑October 1st, 2022, 3:18 pm Do you use both IMDb and Letterboxd?

No

How/why do you use IMDb?

rate movies make lists
What are the 2 you use beyond IMDb and ICM? Do you use them actively?
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

St. Gloede wrote: ↑October 1st, 2022, 9:53 pm
OldAle1 wrote: ↑October 1st, 2022, 3:18 pm How many film websites are you a member of in total?

What are the 2 you use beyond IMDb and ICM? Do you use them actively?
The MCU Forum and NolanFans.com
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Just IMDb. I registered an account on Letterboxd once, but I've never touched it. I just don't see anything I want that Letterboxd could provide that isn't already provided by ICheckMovies and ICM Forum.

IMDb, ICheckMovies, and ICM Forum.

How/why do you use IMDb?
My primary use is for information. I like looking up information about movies and filmmakers. I also use it for making lists and for looking up lists others have made (primarily so I can check whether the movies on that list are available to me through streaming services). For example, for the horror challenge this month, I checked the TSZDT list and which movies on the list are available on Prime.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

No. Only IMDb

5 actively: IMDb, ICM, Criticker, whatiwatch.net. On these I rate/record every movie (etc) I've seen after watching them. I also use some others less active which I only rate/check movies sporadically like Mubi and Justwatch. And of course I also use this Forum.

How/why do you use IMDb?
Rating, List making, advanced search, reference guide (to look up information).

N/A

Being the movie site of the world, almost anyone and any sites references to. I'm not sure if that count as doing better, cause a lot comes from being older (the first?). But one can't escape the fact that IMDB is a household name. They even have a Pro subsite for Professionals. They did that right, from a business pov

From what I've seen it does have nice looking interface.

For now I'm sticking with IMDB

Criticker cause it gives a larger rating scale I like. I also like how easy it is to see how I rated movies from directors/actor/writer on that. Which you can't see on IMDb's profile pages.
ICM for checking of movies from lists. But apparently LD has that too.
WhatIwatch to keep track of on which day I watched a movie, on which medium I watched it. And keep track of which episode from the serie(s) I'm watching I've seen.

See above

I've been on the verge to sign up for LD a couple of times. But so far don't see what it offers which isn't covered by any of the other sites I'm using now and it just seems another site to keep track off. The biggest reason I can think of that I will go use LD is if ICM ever goes down for good *knock on wood*
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

blocho wrote: ↑October 2nd, 2022, 12:34 am How/why do you use IMDb?
I also use it for making lists and for looking up lists others have made (primarily so I can check whether the movies on that list are available to me through streaming services). For example, for the horror challenge this month, I checked the TSZDT list and which movies on the list are available on Prime.
But does IMDb let you search for films on streaming services other than Prime? Letterboxd is connected to JustWatch, so I can see what is available on each of my 40+ streaming services without having to look them up one by one.
|iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | Gold Derby
Long live the new flesh!
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

sol wrote: ↑October 3rd, 2022, 1:22 am
blocho wrote: ↑October 2nd, 2022, 12:34 am How/why do you use IMDb?
I also use it for making lists and for looking up lists others have made (primarily so I can check whether the movies on that list are available to me through streaming services). For example, for the horror challenge this month, I checked the TSZDT list and which movies on the list are available on Prime.
But does IMDb let you search for films on streaming services other than Prime? Letterboxd is connected to JustWatch, so I can see what is available on each of my 40+ streaming services without having to look them up one by one.
Yes, that's the limitation of the streaming tie-in for IMDb. It's all Amazon. The reason I did create a Letterboxd account was because I heard I could check multiple streaming services through it, but once I signed up, I found I had to pay for that feature, so I've never used the account.
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

I use IMDb frequently, and Letterboxd occasionally.

IMDb, iCM, iCM Forum, Letterboxd, Mubi, RYM, but the first 3 are the only ones that I use regularly. I also use a few anime sites but I'm not sure if that counts.

How/why do you use IMDb?
Looking up information about movies and series (e.g. title, year, rating, synopsis, crew, keywords, reviews). Advanced search. Browsing lists. Checking the ID number so I can search for it on iCM.

I don't use Letterboxd very often, but occasionally I check ratings or browse lists.

More information. More keywords. Advanced search. More movies/series in the database (at least this was true in the past, but I don't know if it's still true). Letterboxd is missing a lot of adult films and TV series.

Sometimes the ratings are more accurate, but not always, so I check ratings on both sites. I don't use the website much, so I'm not sure if there are other advantages.

IMDb.

As a movie database, no. For keeping track of progress on lists, iCM is better.

I wish one of them would let you submit recommendations (if you like movie X, you might like movie Y). I don't know of any popular movie websites that have this feature, but there are several anime websites that have this feature, and it's very useful. I'm surprised that none of the movie websites have implemented it.
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

I wish there was an easy/appropriate way to share this episode on Letterboxd. I think we would find some folks who only use Letterboxd. I don't believe anyone on this forum falls into that camp.
Long live the new flesh!
matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 »

I have never used Letterboxd, however an old friend is on it so I will probs give it a go at some point

MUBI, SCFZ, criterionforum.org, r/truefilm subreddit, IMDb, iCM, ICMForum

How/why do you use IMDb?

I post reviews there, I am a "Top Reviewer" on IMDb, basically I wrote enough reviews (hundreds) to get the badge. It's the most comprehensive database I know of. Reviews there are usually quite telling in aggregate, to give me an indication if I'll like the movie.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

For me I use both, and mostly for what they are intended. IMDb as a database, Letterboxd as a more social platform. IMDb has the "import" lock-in, Letterboxd has better list & sharing options, also a more interesting user base (as they don't discriminate against non-English users).

Because I have my own website for tracking the movie habits, they are both secondary platforms and I'm not really bothered about missing functionality on either site. If I want something, I just build it myself. The only thing I regret is not getting all my reviews on my own site. I'm currently nearing 5000 capsule reviews and 1000 full reviews, but that means I'm still missing about 7000 untranslated ones :(
magnusbernhardsen

sol wrote: ↑October 4th, 2022, 3:53 pm I wish there was an easy/appropriate way to share this episode on Letterboxd. I think we would find some folks who only use Letterboxd. I don't believe anyone on this forum falls into that camp.
I think the first step in doing this is to create an account for the podcast.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

We can share the episode on the Letterboxd Community facebook group.
shugs
Donator

Post by shugs »

Is the audio messed up for anyone else on Spotify? Most of it comes from the left channel.
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

magnusbernhardsen wrote: ↑October 4th, 2022, 4:50 pm
sol wrote: ↑October 4th, 2022, 3:53 pm I wish there was an easy/appropriate way to share this episode on Letterboxd. I think we would find some folks who only use Letterboxd. I don't believe anyone on this forum falls into that camp.
I think the first step in doing this is to create an account for the podcast.
We could do that, but how would we go about promoting the account then? Just spam comment on any film mentioned in the podcast? I don't know. It sounds like a good idea; I'm just not sure where to take it from there.
Long live the new flesh!
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

shugs wrote: ↑October 4th, 2022, 5:49 pm Is the audio messed up for anyone else on Spotify? Most of it comes from the left channel.
Sampled it and can't hear a difference between left and right on Spotify.
magnusbernhardsen

sol wrote: ↑October 5th, 2022, 1:20 am
We could do that, but how would we go about promoting the account then? Just spam comment on any film mentioned in the podcast? I don't know. It sounds like a good idea; I'm just not sure where to take it from there.
[/quote]

I haven't even promoted myself opn Letterboxd, so I basically have no idea. One thing is getting other users from here to like and comment the posts, so it shows up organically. Then I guess making lists, reviews etc. There is a special tier for podcasts and companies called HQ, but it is probably quite expensive. Then you can make stories etc. Example: https://letterboxd.com/mubi/
magnusbernhardsen

St. Gloede wrote: ↑October 5th, 2022, 7:31 am Sampled it and can't hear a difference between left and right on Spotify.
Hey everybody, we have an enlightened centrist here!
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

magnusbernhardsen wrote: ↑October 5th, 2022, 10:44 am
St. Gloede wrote: ↑October 5th, 2022, 7:31 am Sampled it and can't hear a difference between left and right on Spotify.
Hey everybody, we have an enlightened centrist here!
:poshclap: :poshclap: :poshclap:
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

One thing I don't think we touched upon in the episode is loading time and just how heavy IMDb feels (at least with certain versions). I often open multiple pages at the same time, be it from a filmography page, list, advanced search, spreadsheet, etc. and IMDb seems to load so much slower than ICM and Letterboxd. The toll this takes varies from device to device, but when I use my older computer, have other things running in the background and try to load, say, 20 IMDb film pages, it can take a painfully long time.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

I did use IMDb, not anymore.

I still use letterboxd.

Lost count, but right now only letterboxd and ICM community tbf. Been part of more in the past, notably Moviemeter.

How/why do you use IMDb?

I like letterboxd because i like the community on letterboxd more, as well as the UI and lay-out.

Data set and advanced search. As well as import/export data feature.

UI, more social aspect, swiftness-easiness and better interaction with its users.

Stats are also done better on LBOXD even if i'd like letterboxd to expand the feature.
ICM | RYM | last.fm | lboxd
Spoiler
yllow

Post by yllow »

Letterboxd has a better app, so I use it more than IMDB
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Yes.

Lots, but I only use IMDb, iCM and LB regularly and consistently.

How/why do you use IMDb?
I use it to rate films, get info for my spreadsheet and for making lists and gathering URLs.

To review films, read reviews, see how my friends have rated/reviewed films, filtering my watchlist easily.

Better as a database and for exporting data.

Everything else. I spend more time on LB than IMDb, IMDb is just for data hoarding these days. It's poorly designed and useful info is difficult to find and requires a lot of scrolling and ignoring pointless images and information. LB is much better for finding out what films people like and why and also logging my own watches and rewatches and finding my own reviews.

Since I do a lot of data hoarding and need IMDb URLs and stuff for TSZDT and making lists I'd probably have to pick IMDb but I'd rather have both since I use them for different things.

iCM is better for tracking lists and finding films because I care more about lists than what's popular with the youth.

Letterboxd needs the ability to hide crappy one line reviews. I hate downvotes but I also hate stupid meme reviews by teenagers and it really annoys me and puts me off so many films. I also want better exporting options and unique IDs included in them. IMDb needs to be redesigned by someone who actually likes films, using websites and isn't just trying to advertise crap. IMDb also needs to bring back downloading other people's ratings.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | Letterboxd | Linktree | TSZDT

tommy_leazaq
Donator

Post by tommy_leazaq »

Month late.. But still...

Yup.

Let's see.. IMDb, iCM, Criticker, Letterboxd, TMDb, Flickchart, Criticker again (a second account for a different purpose.. :pinch: )

How/why do you use IMDb?
To log everything I have seen and rate my overall feel there. Also, its the greatest site for Film related infos.

To rate films as objectively as I can. Objective here is subjective again so don't want to go there. :lol:
And their UI and stats page for PRO is really cool. never really cared about reviews though. And their policies about adult films and TV mini series is bit annoying at times.

Film infos with stuffs like trivia, goofs aspect ratio, parental guidance et al. Search option is also greatest there.

Cool and Sleak presentation, no nonsense design and more importantly TAGS.

I will surely miss the performnce and UI of LB, but IMDb is my pick any day for its wholesome service.

ICM for starter.. Just check and official lists are always cool. I like Criticker as well for its simplicity and ability to make us to rate out of 100.

Both can improve their user functionality in list editing.

ICM covers better list functionality.

nope