Welcome to the ICM Forum.
Check out our Magazine

If you notice any issues please post in the Q&A thread. Email issue should be fixed. If you encounter this issue, contact PeacefulAnarchy
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 60 released October 1st: IMDb vs Letterboxd)
iCinema Magazine: WE ARE LIVE! (We just need more content)
ICMForum Film Festival 2022: Mon Nov 14 - Dec 12
Polls: Music Videos (Results), 2010 (Sep 25th), Senegal (Sep 30th), 500<400 (Oct 3rd), Japan (Oct 31st)
Challenges: Horror, Indian Subcontinent, Each Year
About: Welcome All New Members, Terms of Use, Q&A

Is The Straight Story David Lynch's Strangest Film? [TALKING IMAGES]

St. Gloede

Is The Straight Story David Lynch's Strangest Film? [TALKING IMAGES]

Post by St. Gloede »

The Straight Story is a film so straightforward that the fact that David Lynch is the man behind it feels almost surreal. In this episode, we dive into how and why the film engages and touches us as much as it does, ponder what made Lynch choose to pick this collaboration with Walt Disney Pictures to begin with, and marvel at just how wonderfully weird it is that this film, based on a real story, exists at all.

Lynch himself declared the film to be his most experimental film to date (back in 2001), do we agree that there may be more bubbling under the surface here than a very straight story, or is it perhaps because it is so straightforward that it can be seen as weird?

You Can Listen Here:

Sounder: https://talking-images.sounder.fm/episo ... -strangest

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/episode/67TbAZxvQ2iEkMK8H1alzh

Apple Podcasts: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/i ... 0578040238

Participants:
  • Adam / AdamH
  • Matthieu / Teproc
  • Sol / Sol
  • Chris / St. Gloede
Join the Conversation

What was your first reaction to seeing The Straight Story? Had you seen any Lynch films before it and if so, did it feel like a Lynch?

Do you agree with Lynch that it was the most experimental film he had made up until that point?

What do you think Lynch was thinking when decided to call this film "The Straight Story" and would you say it live up to its name?"

Where do you place The Straight Story in the Lynch canon?

What is it that makes The Straight Story so special (if you agree that it is special)? And what would you say are its strengths and weaknesses?

Do you wish Lynch had made more films like The Straight Story?

Bonus question: Did it bother you that lawnmower traffic laws were not explored in more detail? (Somehow the episode took a 5 minute+ detour on the laws and regulations of driving a lawnmower in the US!!!)
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

What was your first reaction to seeing The Straight Story? Had you seen any Lynch films before it and if so, did it feel like a Lynch?
It's been five years since I saw it, and I don't have strong memories of The Straight Story. I remember that I enjoyed it. And while recognizing that it felt very different from previous Lynch movies I had seen, it still felt very much like a David Lynch movie, both because of its general Americana and because of some of its weirder touches.

What do you think Lynch was thinking when decided to call this film "The Straight Story" and would you say it live up to its name?
The protagonist is named Straight, isn't he? Maybe it's not more complicated than that.

I wish Lynch had made more films of any kind. I hope he still does.

Bonus question: Did it bother you that lawnmower traffic laws were not explored in more detail? (Somehow the episode took a 5 minute+ detour on the laws and regulations of driving a lawnmower in the US!!!)
It doesn't bother me, but I definitely think it could have been a DVD special feature. Safety never takes a vacation, folks! Also, I could see Lynch really loving doing his own spin on a PSA or industrial safety video.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

blocho wrote: September 1st, 2022, 8:26 pm What do you think Lynch was thinking when decided to call this film "The Straight Story" and would you say it live up to its name?
The protagonist is named Straight, isn't he? Maybe it's not more complicated than that.
Yes, it could really be that straightforward. :cheers:
I wish Lynch had made more films of any kind. I hope he still does.
Agreed! (though I have still not seen the new Twqin Peaks :facepalm: )
It doesn't bother me, but I definitely think it could have been a DVD special feature. Safety never takes a vacation, folks! Also, I could see Lynch really loving doing his own spin on a PSA or industrial safety video.
Now that would have been amazing, and probably become Sol's favourite featurette of all-time. :cheers: