17.1 - Cinq minutes de cinéma pur (1926)
- (5 minutes)
17.2 - The Lonedale Operator (1911)
- (17 minutes)
17.3 - The Musketeers of Pig Alley (1912)
- (18 minutes)
17.4 - The Battle of Elderbush Gulch (1913)
- (29 minutes)
17.5 - Filmstudie (1926)
- (4 minutes)
17.6 - Jeux des reflets et de la vitesse (1925)
- (8 minutes)
18 - I Don't Want to Be a Man (1918) - 6/10
- Ossi Oswalda stars as a spoiled tomboy in a wealthy family who likes to smoke, play cards, and do whatever she wants. Tired of restrictions being forced on her, she dresses up as a man to go out and enjoy life, but discovers that men can have it tough, too. The comedy here didn't really hit for me much of the time. It liked The Oyster Princess and The Doll, but this one was more of a miss.
19 - Shoes (1916) - 7/10
- A teenage girl has to support her parents and three sisters with what she makes at the 5 and 10 cent store she works at. meanwhile, she suffers through each day on a ratty old pair of shoes, unable to afford a new pair. Her father seems to prefer reading and smoking to looking for work. The film hammers the poverty message hard and the actress playing the lead seems mostly devoid of emotion, though that could be because of the mental fatigue from her situation. Her sister and coworker are much more animated and lively. Still, it's not a bad film.
20 - Don't Change Your Husband (1919) - 7/10
- Gloria Swanson stars as a woman whose wealthy husband takes her for granted. The husband spends a lot of time at work, forgets their anniversary, eats lots of onions, and is fairly sloppy around home. She decides to divorce him and ends up marrying a slick acquaintance who has been trying to woo her away from her husband. However, she finds that her new married life comes with its own set of problems. I thought the film was decent, though her marrying the second guy when she had mostly shown disdain for him until then seemed a bit odd. Elliott Dexter as the first husband was pretty good.
21 - Terje Vigen (1917) - 8/10
- In 1809, a British ship is blocking a Norwegian port. One man is desperate to feed his family and takes a small boat to Denmark for food. He is captured and imprisoned until the war is over, but finds that much has changed when he returns home. The film has good scenes at sea and I thought the acting was mostly pretty good.
22 - True Heart Susie (1919) - 7.5/10
- Lillian Gish plays Susie, a farm girl who is in love with her neighbor William. She secretly pays for him to go to college, but when he returns years later after becoming a minister, he marries another woman. Susie continues to pine for William while he finds himself in a marriage that is a mismatch for both parties. Susie and William are each naive and a bit slow in their own way, but good hearted.
23 - J'Accuse (1919) - 8.5/10
- Jean loves his neighbor Edith. Edith happens to be married to Francois and she cares for both men. When the world war starts, the two men join the army with Francois ending up a sergeant and Jean a lieutenant in the same unit. The two men are antagonistic toward each other at first and I liked how the relationship between the two men developed over time. The film shows some fighting, but is more about the relationship between the two men and Edith along with showing some of the suffering that happens during wartime. Romuald Joubé was particularly good as Jean and Abel Gance did a very nice job directing the film.
1 - By the Law (1926) - 8/10
2 - Destiny (1921) - 8/10
3 - He Who Gets Slapped (1924) - 8.5/10
4 - Show People (1928) - 8/10
5 - Stachka / Strike (1925) - 8/10
6 - Ben-Hur: A Tale of Christ (1925) - 7.5/10
7 - Diary of a Lost Girl (1929) - 8.5/10
8 - Flesh and the Devil (1926) - 7/10
9 - Lucky Star (1929) - 8.5/10
10.1 - Bellezze italiche: Lagune e paesaggi (1912) - (15 minutes)
10.2 - Seelische Konstruktionen (1927) - (6 minutes) - A nice animated short
10.3 - Brumes d'automne (1929) - (12 minutes)
10.4 - Manhatta (1921) - (10 minutes)
10.5 - A Propos de Nice (1930) - (23 minutes)
10.6 - När Kapten Grogg skulle porträtteras (1917) - (5 minutes)
10.7 - Ghosts Before Breakfast (1928) - (9 minutes)
11 - The Adventures of Prince Achmed (1926) - 8/10
12 - The Phantom Carriage (1921) - 8/10
13 - La Aldea Maldita / The Cursed Village (1930) - 7/10
14 - Dr. Mabuse, the Gambler (1922) - 7/10
15 - Die Nibelungen: Kriemhild’s Revenge (1924) - 8/10
16 - The Man Who Laughs (1928) - 8/10