Welcome to the ICM Forum.
Check out our Magazine

If you notice any issues please post in the Q&A thread. Email issue should be fixed. If you encounter this issue, contact PeacefulAnarchy
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 60 released October 1st: IMDb vs Letterboxd)
iCinema Magazine: WE ARE LIVE! (We just need more content)
ICMForum Film Festival 2022: Mon Nov 14 - Dec 12
Polls: Music Videos (Results), 2010 (Sep 25th), Senegal (Sep 30th), 500<400 (Oct 3rd), Japan (Oct 31st)
Challenges: Horror, Indian Subcontinent, Each Year
About: Welcome All New Members, Terms of Use, Q&A

Which Films Did You See Last Week? [Week 34, 2022]

Onderhond

Which Films Did You See Last Week? [Week 34, 2022]

Post by Onderhond »

Another firstest of all:

Thanks to RolandKirkSunglasses for taking over last week's thread. Very much appreciated :)

First of all, a word from our founder:

"Please share with us which films you saw last week. It would be great if you could include some comments on each film. It would be awesome if you could also take some time to comment on everyone else's viewings. Please also note that this is intended as a movie discussion thread, not a large image posting thread. Having too many large images makes this thread difficult to navigate through. If you wish to include more than five images in a reply, please use spoiler tags - [ spoiler ][/ spoiler ] - to hide extra images." - sol

01. 3.5* - American Animals by Bart Layton (2018)
A pleasant heist flick. What sells this film is the mix of narrative cinema and documentary interludes, certainly when the stories of the different parties don't really match up. It's interesting to see how this adds a level of realism while underscoring the frailty of the memories of the people involved. Spencer and Warren want more out of their lives. They're decent students who do well in society, but they are bored by the lives that have been carved out for them. And so they decide to plan a heist. Their university has some rare and valuable books on display, with only an old librarian taking care of them. An ideal target. The performances are pretty good, the pacing on point, and the lack of extreme dramatics refreshing. The interviews are a nice little touch and even though the film is a bit long (while still having to race through the final stretches), it never bored me. Makes me want to see more by Layton.

02. 3.0* - A Museum Sleeps [Un Musée Dort] by Camille de Chenay (2020)
A tragic romance delivered in a more experimental package. It's not that A Museum Sleeps challenges all existing conventions of cinema, it's a film that wears its experimental moniker in a more formal sense, but people expecting a fully traditional narrative should do well to check their expectations. Mainstream cinema this is clearly not. Ornicar and Chloe are in a passionate relationship, but Ornicar feels restless. He loves Chloe dearly, but he struggles to feel at ease with himself. So he tells Chloe he'll leave for a year, and he'll be back for her exactly one year later. When Ornicar returns, Chloe is nowhere to be found. Desperate, Ornicar starts his quest to find out what happened to her. A nervous piano score and a 4:3 aspect ratio betray the film's arthouse influences. I didn't mind the score so much, but don't get the fascination with 4:3. I quite liked the performances and I felt the romance worked well, seeing how the tragic aspect of their relationship really hit home during the finale. A pleasant film, but it could've pushed a few more boundaries.

03. 3.0* - The Bunker Game by Roberto Zazzara (2022)
An interesting premise, some good ideas to pull the story along, but a slight lack of dedication to the genre elements. The Bunker Game could've been a better film if only director Zazzara had committed a bit more to the horror and thriller elements introduced. Instead, the film focuses too much on the actual plot, which isn't all that interesting. A big LARP gathering has to be halted when the underground bunker where it is held proves to be unsafe. The players are asked to leave, while the organizers stay behind to clean up the place. But then they find themselves locked up, with the leader missing. Is the LARP game still continuing, or is something else going on? The setting is superb, the LARP game is interesting and there is plenty of opportunity for scares and haunts. It's just that the film seems more interested in the tepid back stories of the characters and the history of the place. This wasn't bad so much as it failed to live up to its true potential.

04. 2.5* - The Chanting Revisited [Kuntilanak] by Rizal Mantovani (2018)
Indonesian horror cinema has grown much bigger in the past decade, which means it has also been looking to broaden its core audience. It's no surprise then to see a film like The Chanting Revisited target a younger audience, with less gore, softer scares, and a young cast. Glenn presents a show about haunted houses. In one of them, he finds a stylish mirror which he grabs for his girlfriend's aunt. The mirror houses a Kuntilanak, a ghost who apprehends kids lacking motherly love. She'll find plenty of opportunity in her new home, with no less than five kids living there. The ghost isn't all that scary-looking, there are quite a few comedic interludes and there's no real gore to speak of. It's a pretty decent entry-level horror film, certainly for younger kids who aren't quite sure about the genre just yet. Seasoned horror fans will find a decent atmosphere, but that's about it.

05. 2.5* - Benny Loves You by Karl Holt (2019)
Mediocre horror comedy. There are some fun ideas here, but the execution is pretty poor and the film fails to escape its no-budget roots. It's not quite as bad as some other films in this niche, Holt shows he has potential, it's just that his talent can't make up for the lack of proper funding. Discarded toys, everybody has them, but not everyone is aware they can come back to haunt you. Jack is in his mid-30s, works as a toy designer, and still lives at home with his parents. When a freak accident kills them, Jack will have to fend for himself, but then his old teddy Benny returns to help him out. The effects are pretty poor, and so are the cinematography and the performances. I did however like the voice work, Benny in particular sounds creepy in the jolliest way possible. There are also some successful comedy moments, but it's not enough to make you forget about the disappointing bits. A pretty mixed bag in other words.

06. 1.0* - Stripes by Ivan Reitman (1981)
An army comedy, in the broadest sense of the word. It's clear that Stripes was meant to be funny, it certainly tries very hard, but I didn't crack a smile once. There's something extremely unpleasant about this film, which isn't even that uncommon for an 80s comedy. It's not that they are particularly mean-spirited (because I'd love that), they're just irritating. John has no idea what to do with his life. He can't hold a job, his girlfriend is tired of him loafing around and his best friend is unable to motivate him. And so the two join the army, hoping they might find something there. John doesn't really fit the strict regime, but the camaraderie does slowly grow on him. Murray is terrible, but so is the rest of the cast. The jokes are very predictable and consistently unfunny, the army setting is a complete bore and with more than two hours on the clock, the film outstays its welcome. Dedicated Murray/Reitman fans should probably give it a go, other than that I find this very hard to recommend.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Week 34, 2022 - after 12 years of ICM, I've seen more films in a week than Onderhond. :woot:
(It wasn't a fair match, BUT I won it!!)

Coal Miner's Daughter (1980) (7/10)
I Wake Up Screaming (1941) (7/10)
Jurassic World: Dominion (2022) (4,5/10) :unsure:
Phantom Lady (1944) (7/10)
Sunday Bloody Sunday (1971) (6/10)
The Long Farewell (1971) (6,5/10)
A Special Day (1977) (8/10)
Euphoria (2006) (5/10)
Minkin

Post by Minkin »

This turned out to be a pretty enjoyable week - and for me, that's a huge rarity. Not the most on watching stuff (only 3 shorts), but I made some great progress with Cinema Safari after I had some rare free time to work on any project I wanted. I think there's just a few more pages of info research, the tourist brochure, an activity, a book of short stories I want to read, and the drawing and then I can finally put together the post! So I hope to have that all done within the next few weeks, my partner's drawing might end up being the hold-up (along with the book), but hopefully for not too long. But yes, I'd rate this week as rather good, 7/10, despite everything going on. :banana:
Highlights of the Past Week in my meager existence
-My partner became notary certified, well once she gets results from test back, but still
-I've been in a library / book mood lately, probably for the best
-Finally had a free day, so I work on Inyo County, reading a history book + online articles about history of towns
-Finished reading Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe
-Figured out which movies we watched from Oct 2020 - Apr 2021 - so that I can rewatch backwards those films as well
-Had Wingstop for the first time - it was fine, though I'll try one of the spicier varieties next time.
-My mom decided she likes the peach milkshakes, and is now on her 3rd in two weeks
-I throw a big carrot to a bunny in our frontyard
-Made a pasta dish with my partner's habanero peppers - which we could've added a lot more, we were rather ginger with it
-Made a Cinema Safari Pinterest board (feel free to follow, does anyone still use Pinterest?) - it's still a work in progress, but I did add Thailand at least
-Also made a Pinterest board for all the movies I've so far watched in 2022 with links to reviews + with the screenshots I've been taking, just in case the world needed to see that as well. I think the ship has flown with Pinterest, but maybe someone might find some interest in this shit. Yes, this means my "post-movie-watch" checklist of things I do increased by another margin, but so be it.
How to Be a Friend (1972) - Los Angeles County - Rating: 3/10

Various basic suggestions of common courtesy are explained as a method for making and maintaining friends. There’s also this terrible Greek chorus repeating some of the key points right after they’ve been made, like “friendship is sharing.” The other problem is that so little is spent on how to make friends – as the two examples they give are just approaching people out of the blue and hoping they’re friendly – to which I don’t think people look as kindly on that sort of behavior any longer – certainly not younger aged people. There’s no suggestion of forming groups or other ways to connect with people. That said, there was a brief mention of long-distance friendships, which is just a casual aside then, but is almost everything today. As someone who has difficulty making and keeping friends, I’m someone who suffers at the behest of my illness and probably my sleep schedule. One of the symptoms of my illness is self-isolation, which can be attributed to a number of factors – such as paranoia of other people (like thinking they’re conspiring against you), as an example. For me, it’s a mix between thinking my existence is such an annoyance to people that I have to apologize for intruding on anyone at all, vs trying to have a conversation whilst not sounding insane or being symptomatic. This all said, I’m someone who wishes they were friends with every human and animal, but alas, my powers are limited, so I must suffer instead. So shorts like this just aren’t remotely helpful whatsoever, and just cause me to be more self conscious about everything I do wrong, in a world where these things have only become progressively more difficult to accomplish. As people don’t interact as they once did, and we’ve collectively lost the ability to just casually become fast friends with people, in person – so no wonder we’re all depressed, and some toxic positive songster isn’t going to help.
Drawing for Beginners: The Square (1949) - USA - Rating: 4/10

A remedial demonstration of drawings one can make, using a square as the basis. They then turn the drawing into a 3-dimensional representation, in order to, I guess, make the drawing more interesting / come to life. When he got to the checkerboard and said, “let’s fill in every other square,” and started filling in each of the 32 squares, we just howled with laughter as they painstakingly started coloring in the squares. This reminded me of when I was little, I’d go onto Microsoft paint, and try to fill in the entire screen with one color using different brushes only – like once with spraypaint, or the pencil, etc – as I wasted like 30 mins just coloring a large empty canvas with one color. The problem here is that there isn’t honestly much you can draw using only squares – so they cheat and add in other shapes as well (including rectangles), using the square as the basis / springboard for drawing other things. It’s just that blocks, chairs, and checkerboards aren’t exactly inspiring things to draw – when they have no depth and are just the bare basic outlines of the shape – as this is extremely simplified, for the most part. This series also includes a separate film on drawing rectangles, so just in case you wanted a slightly different quadrilateral, they’ve got you covered. This is far too basic to be of much use to anyone, even very young children. Also I’m not sure if the 3D representations exactly add anything – they would’ve been far better off showing a real object that looks similar rather than these odd papercut models. They just exist to show the same drawings as though they had come to life, and that is a bit like intertwining different realities together, and creating a simulated world version of the drawings, for perhaps we too are just a highly detailed art piece for someone calculating our existence – I know reality can break down and everything can look animated, so perhaps we are no different than the shapes here. Anyway, this is an odd series, but they at least bring us a lot of laughter at how uninspiring any of these drawings end up being.
LSD: Insight or Insanity? (1967) - Los Angeles County - Rating: 6/10

The “fad” experience of consuming LSD as told by teens, and then the medical suggestions of a bunch of concerned doctors who warn that a “bad trip” will eventually happen to you. OK, so I too used to laugh at these drug scare films – as how could anyone get so high that they think they can fly, or kill themself? Granted, the only person who I knew of who took a psychedelic ended up naked on the freeway, being hit by a car, but that was clearly a bad exception. But after my own experiments with hallucinogenic drugs, only done after I even had my diagnosis of schizophrenia + with a million warnings of what it might do, I no longer laugh at these sort of films. So, clearly I and anyone with a family history are amongst the exceptions and need to be fucking careful. As proper set and setting can be impossible to achieve, if even meditation causes problems for you. The thing is – that it’s possible for anyone to have a bad trip, so that’s why you come prepared with a benzo or an antipsychotic (trip killer) and have a tripsitter watch over you, so they can help you out of it, just in case you one day need it. But what I still find interesting from these hallucinogenic drugs is that they can in a small way mimic psychosis, as many of the symptoms align with the effects of the drugs. For instance, in both, objects can distort, look like they’re breathing, and appear to move. Audio too can be so distorted that you hear voices when there are none. But the key difference is that you have the knowledge that you’ve taken a drug, and can rationalize these things, whereas during psychosis, you largely don’t – and you instead think these things are real, which makes it a terrifying experience – when all of reality has collapsed around you. Despite what happened to me, I still think it’s generally important for humans to experience a psychedelic – but it should be in a safe environment, with the proper tools and preparations ahead of time; just don’t bother if you have a personal or family history of psychosis – as it isn’t worth that risk, learn from my narwhal-brained mistake. I think this short is much like all doctors – they think you’re better off avoiding the risks at all than have a potential negative experience. And until you’ve tried it yourself, you’re never going to know how it will affect you, despite even coming in prepared – for everyone has the capability for a “bad trip.” There’s too many important benefits to write off hallucinogens though, and they have a lot of potential for bringing relief to a lot of ill people. Even then, there’s a huge difference between clinical consumption with safeguards and post-trip integration, which is the most important step – that gets overlooked by all psychonauts – for its not enough to have this magical experience, you need to learn how to process and learn from it. So, go ahead and laugh at this short and scoff at doctors and my advice, but until it has happened to you, you won’t ever know what hell the mind is capable of unleashing on you.
Cinema Safari (Currently working on Inyo County, CA + Zimbabwe upgrade) Help recommend me movies to watch) Letterboxd
She has an illusion, and you have reality. May you find your way as pleasant.
Minkin

Post by Minkin »

I'll practice what I preach and interact with films that I at least have a working cursory knowledge about. But then it feels like it could use a thread-split to go off and talk to the rest of the forum about random movie A. But whatever, that's what this is about, anyway,
Torgo wrote: August 28th, 2022, 1:53 pm Jurassic World: Dominion (2022) (4,5/10) :unsure:
I saw this at a drive-in, and as someone who hasn't seen like any blockbusters made in the past like 10 years, it seemed just as generically, improbably un-thinkingly exciting as anything else I've seen - I don't understand what makes one of these things good vs others bad, as the only thing I have to compare it to is... itself. So for those who've seen a Marvel/DC /Jurassic Fart film since idk, say, The Dark Knight... what makes this one a bad example of the genre? As Idk how anyone finds this boring (see: Letterboxd reviews) unless they have more ADHD than a toddler party on pixie sticks. I'd call this a film of endless deus ex machinas, but that seems par for the course with these sort of things. I did read someone complained that the world is full of dinosaurs, and instead they focus on one park... a jurassic park if you will.... in Italy instead of exploring the "dino world" atmosphere at all - and that's a rather apt criticism, that I can understand. I also have no fucking clue what the whole clone business was about, but I assume that's one of those "crucial plot points" in the other film or something that I missed out on, and that the film just made a token reference to in that first 5min recap.

I just want to know, from people with some degree of mild interest in this subject, what makes this a bad example of the breed, rather than whatever film of the week we're supposed to like. To be fair, I gave this film a 5/10, so I was rather evenly split on it.

Apologies for manic posting...

edit-

I'll post my review in totality, even if I've summarized my main points already.
Jurassic World: Dominion (2022) - Malta / Italy - Rating: 5/10

Something’s gone terribly wrong as the world is now overrun with dinosaurs, and some questionable biotech firm is “aiding” humanity by studying them. Rather than focus on the dinosaurs, this seems to be more of a story of killer locusts, genetically modified corn and somehow also: clones. Here, the film posits the typical teenage angst of discovering yourself… only it’s your clone self and wondering whether you’re even a real person, or just some laboratory experiment. As someone who is also frequently dehumanized due to their existence, it’s also easy to feel like a lab rat with only symptoms rather than personality – as my very tenuous connection to reality is dependent on my medication. So you too begin to wonder, as Maisie does in this film, where exactly do I fit into my general being – how much of me is just a construct of scientific progress? You really question, to who’s benefit am I designed – who decides what is a life worth living. I can also see that the notion of a world now covered with dinosaurs – whereas they once were localized to a single island, feels reminiscent of the treatment of the mentally ill. That we were once locked up in a torturous hell isolated from society in asylums, and are now just a part of the fabric of society everywhere you go – behest to the streets – simply because there “aren’t enough resources” to take care of us. There’s a similar disaster to the rest of “civilization” who must then learn to accept us amongst their midst and adjust to interacting with beings that were once hidden away. For the more you learn about us, the more you realize that we’ve always existed, its just you who’s been sheltered – for your own self-serving interest. So maybe one day there too will be funds to handle the crisis of man and beast, but until then, be prepared to suffer in complacency. Anyway, this was the first Jurassic Park movie I’d seen since the 90s, and apparently things became complicated over the course of 6 movies – with assorted nonsense thrown in, that the intro’s 2 minute summary can’t quite manage to cover. This is also the first Hollywood blockbuster I’ve seen in ten years, so I can’t tell if the absurd coincidental bullshit (like everyone happening to meet up at the same exact spot in the middle of a forest) is par for the course or not – there’s deus ex machinas, then there’s this. For what it is though, it manages to be mindlessly entertaining, especially as we watched it in a drive-in as we made fun of dinosaur cowboy and the long sequences of silly improbable events – its a fine enough film to throw popcorn at.
2nd edit
Whoever put together this wikipedia page had a lot of love for this series.
Cinema Safari (Currently working on Inyo County, CA + Zimbabwe upgrade) Help recommend me movies to watch) Letterboxd
She has an illusion, and you have reality. May you find your way as pleasant.
Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity »

Below Sea Level (2008, Gianfranco Rosi) 6+

Marc Maron: End Times Fun (2020, Lynn Shelton) 7+

Marc Maron: Thinky Pain (2013, Lance Bangs) 7+

Marc Maron: Too Real (2017, Lynn Shelton) 6+

Top Gun: Maverick (2022, Joseph Kosinski) 5+

Moonraker (1979, Lewis Gilbert) (3rd+ viewing) 6+

music videos (only the good ones and the ones not on IMDb)

Money Boy: Black On Black (20??) --

Die Ärzte: Bitte bitte (1989, Reinhard Günzler & Jürgen Schreyer) (rewatch) 7

Die Ärzte: Manchmal haben Frauen... (2000, Olaf Heine) (rewatch) 7

other

Michael Stevens: Vsauce | Lex Fridman Podcast #58 (2022) yes

The Joe Rogan Experience - #472 Shane Smith (2014) 6
The Joe Rogan Experience - #563 David Choe (2014) 7
The Joe Rogan Experience - #1109 Matthew Walker (2018) 7
The Joe Rogan Experience - #1863 Mark Zuckerberg (2022) 6

partly experienced Rogans: #1861 Dave Mustaine (2022), #1865 Aaron Rodgers (2022)

notable online media

top:
Let the Right One In and Eyes Without a Face: The End Justifies the Means
Drunk Mel Gibson Arrest Diorama
Spooky Coincidences? [by Vsauce]
Almost Dying on a Plane - Marc Maron
Jordan Peterson and Xavier the Renegade Angel Are the Same Person [rewatch]
Give yourself permission to be creative | Ethan Hawke [rewatch?]
"Gay Fish" Live at South Park The 25th Anniversary Concert
FIRST Photo on the INTERNET ... and other things too.
SPOT THE FAKE !! -------- DONG
Controversial Jaws and E.T. AMC/Imax trailer
The Comforts Of Cyberpunk | Escape Into Meaning
KILL TONY #571 - JEFF ROSS
The Shortest Way Home- An Unexpected Result
rest:
Bushcraft Evening In The Bug Out Camp
Angry Jordan Peterson Fat-Shames on Twitter
Types of Beat Saber Players
Leslie Nielsen in Detroit: Become Human

shitposts of the week

We do not have to understand new things, but by dint of patience, effort and method to come to understand with our whole self the truths which are evident.Image
LETTERBOXD | MUBI | IMDb | tumblr.
vortexsurfer

Post by vortexsurfer »

wrong week
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

vortexsurfer wrote: September 12th, 2022, 8:51 am wrong week
.. to be a dinosaur on my TV.