Welcome to the ICM Forum.
Check out our Magazine

If you notice any issues please post in the Q&A thread. Email issue should be fixed. If you encounter this issue, contact PeacefulAnarchy
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 60 released October 1st: IMDb vs Letterboxd)
iCinema Magazine: WE ARE LIVE! (We just need more content)
ICMForum Film Festival 2022: Mon Nov 14 - Dec 12
Polls: Music Videos (Results), 2010 (Sep 25th), Senegal (Sep 30th), 500<400 (Oct 3rd), Japan (Oct 31st)
Challenges: Horror, Indian Subcontinent, Each Year
About: Welcome All New Members, Terms of Use, Q&A

Framed Game

beasterne

Framed Game

Post by beasterne »

After the Wordle craze exploded last year, a bunch of knock offs popped up as well. But one of them is actually pretty fun: Framed, which gives 6 different shots from a movie that you have to guess. The shots (generally) go from harder to easier and most of the time you can get the film within 6 guesses. I've been playing along for a few weeks and it's a fun way to pass the time.

Be warned, the films definitely trend towards big-budget, recent, and American films. Some of the least mainstream movies that I can remember are Modern Times and Oldboy, so yeah not too obscure.

Here's the link to the site: https://framed.wtf/

There is a new puzzle every day, and the clock resets at midnight US Eastern time, so about 5 hours still to go on this puzzle. I got today's in 1 guess, although it was a guess, I was not 100% confident when I put it in.

EDIT: thank you to tommy_leazaq for sharing a related game, Moviedle. This game gives you a 1-second video with glimpses of a film to guess. Then increases from 2 to 6 seconds. Link: https://www.moviedle.app/
Last edited by beasterne on July 31st, 2022, 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Took me four guesses - I think anybody who's seen the movie will get it on the 4th at the latest. I might have done better if I'd seen it more recently than 1987 I suppose but I feel like the first three could be from just about any modern war movie.
It was the truth, vivid and monstrous, that all the while he had waited the wait was itself his portion..
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

That pretty cool though I don't know if I'll remember to play daily. TBH, I was thinking of the right film on my second guess but confused the title with a similar name so it also took me four guesses to get it right.
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

New puzzle! I got this one in 2/6.

A hint for the site seems to be to not guess a movie if it doesn't auto-fill for you as you begin typing the title. I've never seen the answer be a movie that doesn't auto-fill. So I was able to discard "The Blues Brothers" as my first guess, because it didn't auto-fill for me.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

I got it in 2 also. Not sure why that film popped into my head when that second shot came up, haven't seen it in - well, about the same amount of time since I last saw yesterday's choice. Some weird synchronicity going on in my head right now.
It was the truth, vivid and monstrous, that all the while he had waited the wait was itself his portion..
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Tom and I have been playing this every day for quite a while. These are my current stats:

And I was delighted that I managed to get Full Metal Jacket in one despite having not seen it for a decade or longer. ^_^
|iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | Gold Derby
Long live the new flesh!
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

You taught me something new sol, I didn't realize there was a stats page. Here's where I'm at.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

I got today's in two, which I thought was pretty good. Here are my stats:

beasterne

Post by beasterne »

Another day, another puzzle. Easiest one yet for me, I knew it 100% as soon as the first shot popped up. 1/6.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Ha, me too. It wasn't my first guess, I was thinking about something else but dismissed that and then, I dunno, just went with something obvious and it happened to be right. Haven't seen that film in about 15-16 years and have no interest in ever seeing it again but there are images that pop from it.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

four guesses for yesterday, two for today
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

Took me 5 guesses today. I was convinced I had not seen the movie until the 5th shot popped up. Obviously I don't remember much about this one.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Two today. Got very lucky two days in a row - I think I'm starting to get how the movies are chosen, that is I try to think of the biggest (box office, mostly) fairly recent films that might work first, and that seems to do the trick more often than not.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Today's was very easy - not because I thought of the film right away, but because I recognized the location. Looking up the most popular films shot there, a couple of likely choices and I happened to guess right on the first shot.
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

OldAle1 wrote: July 21st, 2022, 11:34 am I recognized the location. Looking up the most popular films shot there, a couple of likely choices and I happened to guess right on the first shot.
Spoiler
:ph43r:

Not that there are rules about using other websites or not to jog your memory, but still. :unsure: ;) :P
Long live the new flesh!
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Whatever dude. I don't have the memory that most people here have (or claim to have), particularly visual memory. I'd be lucky to get a lot of screenshots correct even from movies I've seen 20 times, so I'll take all the help I can get.
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Yeah, no problem. You're only playing against yourself. I just couldn't resist the comment. tehe
Long live the new flesh!
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

3/6 for this one. I did not recognize the 1st shot or location. But the 3rd one did help me out a lot :)
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

beasterne wrote: July 21st, 2022, 1:06 pm 3/6 for this one. I did not recognize the 1st shot or location. But the 3rd one did help me out a lot :)
I'm guessing you haven't seen the Budd Boetticher/Randolph Scott westerns then - or didn't see them all in close proximity like I did. I've never been anywhere near the Alabama Hills but they are imprinted on my memory like few movie locations are. In fact I credit seeing those films for the first time, and my simultaneous exploding interest in film noir, with really getting me interested in movie locations. Doesn't seem to help all that much in this game though, which from what I've seen so far is focused almost entirely on newer films. And of course there are locations and settings that are just too obvious to be used, at least in the first clue or two.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

beasterne wrote: July 21st, 2022, 1:06 pm 3/6 for this one.
Same here.
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

OldAle1 wrote: July 21st, 2022, 1:17 pm
beasterne wrote: July 21st, 2022, 1:06 pm 3/6 for this one. I did not recognize the 1st shot or location. But the 3rd one did help me out a lot :)
I'm guessing you haven't seen the Budd Boetticher/Randolph Scott westerns then - or didn't see them all in close proximity like I did. I've never been anywhere near the Alabama Hills but they are imprinted on my memory like few movie locations are. In fact I credit seeing those films for the first time, and my simultaneous exploding interest in film noir, with really getting me interested in movie locations. Doesn't seem to help all that much in this game though, which from what I've seen so far is focused almost entirely on newer films. And of course there are locations and settings that are just too obvious to be used, at least in the first clue or two.
No, sure haven’t. I thought I may watch The Tall T during the May Western challenge this year, but didn’t get around to it. Westerns are still one of my least explored genres though so I’ll see these films someday I’m sure.
tommy_leazaq
Donator

Post by tommy_leazaq »

The link to the another game they have at the bottom is more interesting.

https://www.moviedle.app/
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

1/6 on the Framed puzzle today. Don’t know why that shot stayed in my brain from the film but it did.

Interesting second game tommy, thanks for the link! I got today’s puzzle in 1/6. I tried a few others from previous days and was at about 3/6 on average.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

I didn't get the Framed one until the 4th pic, and I struggled even with that for a couple of minutes. Weird, given that I saw that film in the cinema and liked it. I guess the visuals they highlight simply weren't anything that stuck in my head in this case.

The film-clip game was an easy 1/6 for me - I think it would be a for a lot of people here. Definitely don't overthink it.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

tommy_leazaq wrote: July 22nd, 2022, 11:31 am The link to the another game they have at the bottom is more interesting.

https://www.moviedle.app/
Cool, thanks for sharing.
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

Today's Framed I got in 1/6. I've only seen the movie once but it still stood out to me as being from the film.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

It took me till 4 for the game today - never seen the film and it's not until that 4th pic that I even had a clue.

Moviedle though I got on a first try like yesterday's. Perfect so far!
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

2/6 on the Framed puzzle. I've not seen the movie but knowing generally what it's about it was a decent guess.

1/6 on Moviedle. Pretty easy.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

I did very poorly today - 4/6 on Framed (not seen it, but that 4th shot was familiar), and 3/6 on Moviedle.
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

2/6 on Framed. Pretty good considering I haven't seen it. Apparently that actor has a recognizable back-of-the-head.

1/6 on Moviedle. Another easy one for this forum I would say.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

beasterne wrote: July 25th, 2022, 12:31 pm 2/6 on Framed. Pretty good considering I haven't seen it. Apparently that actor has a recognizable back-of-the-head.
That's some impressive back-of-head recognition. I also haven't seen it and needed all six.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

I have seen it, and somehow remembered one of the bits you see in the first frame, so got it in one. As bad as my memory often is, sometimes things come through - often things I don't really need to remember, like this movie. Blech.
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

Yesterday's puzzle was Notting Hill for Framed.

----------

4/6 on Framed today. The first three shots just didn't ring any bells for me. Got there eventually, but a little disappointed in how long it took me. Fortunately, I'll be catching this in the theater in just a couple weeks, so that's right on time.

2/6 on Moviedle. I swore it was one war movie at first. Turns out it was a different one.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Funny, my first guess on Framed proved correct - but alas I second-guessed myself and thought about it too much and so I only got it on the second pic - which should get it for most people I'd think, at least most who know the era and such.

Moviedle seemed like an obvious one today and in this case first guess was the right one.
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

Yesterday's Framed: Sunset Blvd. Yesterday's Moviedle: 1917. I really thought it was Saving Private Ryan from the first clip.

-----------

3/6 on Framed today. The first two shots led me astray and made me think of other movies. 3rd was obvious for me though.

1/6 on Moviedle. The color palette stood out for me in this one.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

My worst day yet. 4/6 on Framed - though I double-clicked on 3 so I might have gotten it there. Only seen the film quite a long time ago and don't remember too much.

Didn't get Moviedle at all. I dunno, nothing clicked there. Have seen the film but again not one that I remember much.
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

Yesterday’s answers were The Breakfast Club and The Bourne Identity

————————

1/6 on Framed. I knew I recognized the shot, but needed about 30 seconds to place it. It stuck out to me in the movie as a very apt visual metaphor.

1/6 on Moviedle too. Caught a glimpse of a very iconic wardrobe that gave me the right answer.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

beasterne wrote: July 28th, 2022, 2:50 pm 1/6 on Framed. I knew I recognized the shot, but needed about 30 seconds to place it. It stuck out to me in the movie as a very apt visual metaphor.
A bit on the nose, I would say. Though the whole movie is kind of like that, and all the funnier for it. I also got 1/6. Pupil dilation is the most annoying thing about going to the eye doctor.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

I think it's time for me to give up on these games.
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

OldAle1 wrote: July 28th, 2022, 4:26 pm I think it's time for me to give up on these games.
If you stop playing Ale I might too, since it's just you and me playing this daily it seems. I've been thinking about doing some sort of points system or overall leaderboard in the OP--any interest in sticking around for something like that?

Yesterday's puzzles were The Big Short and The Royal Tenenbaums.

-------

3/6 on Framed today. Really struggled to identify anything about this film in the first two shots, but the 3rd was familiar.

1/6 on Moviedle. Maybe the easiest one yet, even some opening credits stuck out in a big way.