Welcome to the ICM Forum.
Check out our Magazine

If you notice any issues please post in the Q&A thread. Email issue should be fixed. If you encounter this issue, contact PeacefulAnarchy
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 60 released October 1st: IMDb vs Letterboxd)
iCinema Magazine: WE ARE LIVE! (We just need more content)
ICMForum Film Festival 2022: Mon Nov 14 - Dec 12
Polls: Music Videos (Results), 2010 (Sep 25th), Senegal (Sep 30th), 500<400 (Oct 3rd), Japan (Oct 31st)
Challenges: Horror, Indian Subcontinent, Each Year
About: Welcome All New Members, Terms of Use, Q&A

Is Vertigo Really the Greatest Film of All-Time? [TALKING IMAGES]

St. Gloede

Is Vertigo Really the Greatest Film of All-Time? [TALKING IMAGES]

Post by St. Gloede »

It has been 10 years since Vertigo unseated Citizen Kane as the Greatest Films of All Time in Sight & Sounds once-in-a-decade poll of filmmakers, critics and academics. With the 2022 edition coming up, and the real possibility that Vertigo could be unseated, we ask the pressing question: Does Vertigo actually deserve to be number 1?

Note: Since recording this episode it has been revealed that Sight & Sound's Greatest Films of All-Time list will be revealed in their November issue, so we still have quite a few months of anticipation.

Participants:
  • Sol
  • St. Gloede
  • Teproc
You Can Listen Here:

Sounder: https://talking-images.sounder.fm/episo ... f-all-time

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/episode/0SnEz3eIljwqkpEE4AxIkd

Apple Podcasts: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/i ... 0561416097

Join the conversation

Is Vertigo a worthy choice for the all-time #1 spot?

What was your reaction when Vertigo unseated Citizen Kane?

What is your experience with Vertigo, when did you first see it and has your impression of it changed over the years?

What is it that makes Vertigo so special? (If applicable to your personal views)

Does Vertigo have any flaws?

Will Vertigo remain on top of the Sight & Sound list or will it be unseated? If so, what films could do it and what winner would you like to see?

Bonus from Teproc: Is Vertigo a meta-commentary on Hitchcock himself, in particular his relationship with his actresses?

Join the conversation with spoilers
Spoiler
Could Vertigo in some ways be seen as a predecessor to Vertigo's notorious twist in that it too changes the perceived genre and focus mid-way?

Do we believe that Judy fell in love with Scotty or was it simply guilt that drow her to please him?

What are your thoughts on Midge's part in the narrative?

Thought on the ending?

Bonus, courtesy of Sol: How the hell did Madeline get past the receptionist?
hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu »

It has been a decade dominated by populists, tyrans and tycoons, so I would see Citizen Kane regaining points over Vertigo. Mank did give it another echo as well.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Teproc

Post by Teproc »

hurluberlu wrote: May 15th, 2022, 10:13 am It has been a decade dominated by populists, tyrans and tycoons, so I would see Citizen Kane regaining points over Vertigo. Mank did give it another echo as well.
I did not think of that. It's true that Citizen Kane has been a lot more in the public consciousness (Fraud at the polls!) in that way, but I don't know if that really changes much for the kind of people who vote in S&S polls. Then again, the group of voters may be pretty different this year, so we'll see.
matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 »

I feel it has the strongest claim, it avoids being pedagogic or being mannered, has iconic scenes, character names you remember, iconic music, iconic credits, stars, locations.

It has some sort of sense of life's sweet madness. Whilst a lot of it may come under the heading of male gaze, it's very consciously so, and Midge is a very interesting character too. Hitchcock had a very fine eye for the inherent insanity in the human condition, that reality is a far cry from the tidy gardens of our belief systems and ideologies.

That he could make a film that exemplifies such unpopular views, and yet make it attractive to the everyman/everywoman viewer is a testament to his genius and his seemingly effortless, convincing and close to invisible skills of persuasion.

I'll comment after listening as well.
Last edited by matthewscott8 on May 15th, 2022, 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 »

Something that you guys mentioned that I resonated with is maybe Vertigo is a film that gets better with rewatching, it can be a bit of a "wtf" watch on first viewing. Vertigo definitely improved on multiple rewatches, for me, from being nowhere in my estimation to #17 on my all time toplist. Are there other films that tend to develop drastically with rewatches? Could be another podcast, I tend to cite Blade Runner.

Similar to others it's maybe arbitrary whether I have it at #1 or #17, it has the burden of being obvious. The "obvious" films above it are "Les enfants du paradis", "Wild Strawberries", "Fanny and Alexander", and "Odd Man Out", which are pretty equivalently brilliant, all of which are deep, rich and oblique, and getting at fundamental human characteristics that are blindspots to broad culture. Although I can't find anything at all negative to say about Vertigo, even if I try and go into a devil's advocate position, "if I'm being unfair...".

I agree with Mathieu that Vertigo, in some hard-to-define way, is an outlier for Hitchcock.

Good discussion about Midge. All comes under the heading of why do we make poor romantic choices? I've often seen people turn down or dump romantic or potential romantic opportunities out of hand where you just think, "wow, they'd be perfect for you, and you don't even deserve them", or even maybe more hubristically, "I'd be perfect for you", and "You just dumped the only good part of your life".

Gloede, I think you described the opening chase as "boom boom boom and then it's done", sounds like life no? It's like being in a car crash, everything is going fine, everything is normal and then suddenly everything is wrong and maybe some people are dead. Also plays to the "life in insane" take I have, so really is part of the movie I would describe as the very strongest.
Last edited by matthewscott8 on May 15th, 2022, 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 »

I felt a bit protective of Mathieu when he was criticised for comments about the ending not really mattering. I tended to agree. All of the thematics have been developed and underscored at that point, the ending is just the last piece of madness, the fairy-feller's masterstroke.

I wondered if any of you have seen The Dragon is the Frame (Mary Helena Clark, 2014). This movie is an avant garde short shot in San Francisco, which visually references Vertigo throughout, well worth checking out. The point is that the film Vertigo simply has value due to its city tour, colours, mood and deaths. The details of the ending complete the Orphic motif that Boileau-Narcejac strove for, but in some sense I feel "who cares whodunnit", "don't bother me with details", or at least those details. I found simple joy in just the way that Scottie and Madeleine
Spoiler
not Madeleine
look at the redwoods and ponder their age. I contemplate the sheer beauty of what it must have been like to be a Miwok Indian hunting in that forest. Which particular human life was extinguished at the end, don't bother me with your nerdism :P

I am reminded of discussing The Big Sleep with Chris years ago, he had complete recall of the plot, I have watched it a hundred times and for the life of me wouldn't be able to tell you what the plot of the movie is. But I do like to think a lot about that old man in his orchid hothouse recalling eacapades decadally aged, fuelled by champagne and brandy cocktails.
Teproc

Post by Teproc »

Thanks for the comments matthew! That film sounds really interesting, I'll add it to the neverending watchlist.
matthewscott8 wrote: May 15th, 2022, 12:58 pm I felt a bit protective of Mathieu when he was criticised for comments about the ending not really mattering
We Matthews/Matthieus (any Matteos out there?) need to stick together.
matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 »

Teproc wrote: May 15th, 2022, 1:50 pm Thanks for the comments matthew! That film sounds really interesting, I'll add it to the neverending watchlist.
matthewscott8 wrote: May 15th, 2022, 12:58 pm I felt a bit protective of Mathieu when he was criticised for comments about the ending not really mattering
We Matthews/Matthieus (any Matteos out there?) need to stick together.
it's only 14 minutes and Vertigo is fresh in your mind :teehee:

Well done on the podcast guys, I enjoyed listening, also liked the autobiographical/reflexive perspective, which I hadn't considered before.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

I'm not a fan of ranking movies. With the exception of the yearly polls and country polls, my lists are always unranked. Trying to declare a #1 movie ever feels foolhardy and pointless to me.

I had none. I don't know who decides what goes into that list. I don't follow the list.

What is your experience with Vertigo, when did you first see it and has your impression of it changed over the years?
I think I first saw it during the re-release in 1996, so when I was 11 years old. I went with my parents to the Film Society of Lincoln Center. I remember feeling intrigued and a bit baffled. Even with so much less film experience, I knew that I was watching something very unusual but potent, full of strange meaning. About a year later, my family took a trip to San Francisco, and I remember visiting some of the filming locations.

What is it that makes Vertigo so special? (If applicable to your personal views)
I really need to give it a re-watch. I did see it again after 1996, but it's definitely been 20+ years since my last watch. I do remember thinking it was the deepest a movie ever got into Hitchcock's strange personal psyche, a topic that is present in many of movies but never so prominent.

Is Vertigo a meta-commentary on Hitchcock himself, in particular his relationship with his actresses?
See my response above. In short, yes.
Last edited by blocho on August 21st, 2022, 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

It's highly up there, but I'd have to vote for L'Avventura or The Godfather. Those are my two favorites, anyway.
🏳️‍⚧️ (she/her)
JLG wrote: Photography is truth ... and cinema is truth 24 times a second.
First to check CODA (2021)
hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu »

Great podcast guys, fun and insightful to listen ! Thanks for the effort !

I ranked Vertigo at #179 in our last all-time favorites poll which probably puts me in the "haters" club :lol: .

The first half has an amazing build and offers a wealth of themes, supported by visuals and soundtrack, which is unrivalled. NevertheIess I feel that, in the second half, characters development is a little forced just to lead to the final climax; we have seen everything already as Scottie just returns to all the places he went previously and we are just left with his quest for catharsis - still an enjoyable and rewarding ride if not all-time greatest material.

N.B.: this is the first episode I listen in full. Besides content, quality of the audio made a lot for it, specially Matthieu's (not sure if it is hardware or software driven) but that definitely should set the standard.
ImageImageImageImageImage
cinewest

Post by cinewest »

Absolutely not. While it is one of Hitchcock's better films (from his best period), he is not one of my favorite filmmakers.

It's a fad. Citizen Kane is a much better, more important film.

I liked it when I first saw it, but think that the appraisal of Hitchcock and Vertigo are over the top, especially in this day and age.

What is it that makes Vertigo so special? (If applicable to your personal views)_

I guess I can see why it appeals to folks, especially after having some conversations about it over the years with people who love it. I far more appreciate films that have been influenced by Hitch, such as Mulholland Drive.

Plenty, but since I haven't seen it for awhile, I won't try to break them down, here, except to say that I tend to find Hitchcock too old fashioned and a bit corny and genre specific to become a real favorite of mine.

Will Vertigo remain on top of the Sight & Sound list or will it be unseated? If so, what films could do it and what winner would you like to see?

Hard to predict without knowing who is being polled. Kubrick, and 2001 both seem to be on the rise. Personally, I would like to see more films from the past 40 years get greater recognition.

Bonus from Teproc: Is Vertigo a meta-commentary on Hitchcock himself, in particular his relationship with his actresses?

I think that this can be said about quite a few of Hitchcock's films.
RolandKirkSunglasses

Post by RolandKirkSunglasses »

Personally I don't like it but you'd be hard-pressed to find unanimous consensus on a worthy #1.

On the one hand it's good to see Citizen Kane knocked off its perch simply to freshen up the whole thing, on the other hand Vertigo has a lot of similarities with its predecessor which makes you question the entire democratic process if the same pool of voters keep picking the same films they enjoyed in their impressionable youth.

First time I saw it was 2009 back in my University days. I had reservations over the twist while simultaneously getting swept up in the deep themes and seeing Hitchcock's genius in every frame. Now in my older, cynical years the plot holes are too large for me to forgive Hitchcock's lighting and Bernard Herrman's sweeping score, I just can't suspend my disbelief anymore.

I think the story's powerful themes of love, obsession and coping with loss strike a chord with a lot of people, they get sucked in by the emotional pull of the story along with Hitchcock's use of colour.

Don't like Kim Novak's performance or Jimmy Stewart's, a couple times Hitchcock spells things out way too much when it's not necessary but I think the biggest flaws are the character motivations guided by subservience to the major themes.
Spoiler
Gavin picked the most over-elaborate scheme to murder his wife, he also found the time to cook up the Carlotta backstory, coached Judy into playing a suicidal woman and ran a shipping business all at the same time without a single hitch (no pun intended).

The last 10 years has seen an explosion in streaming and a wider variety of movies made available, in theory there could be a seismic change in the list but I think the usual favourites will remain at the top.

Boileau and Narcejac wrote the original novel and denied it was written specifically for Hitchcock (contrary to Truffaut's claims). Maybe Hitchcock saw his own treatment of actresses in there but that's getting into Freudian territory.
Spoiler
Could Vertigo in some ways be seen as a predecessor to Psycho's notorious twist in that it too changes the perceived genre and focus mid-way?

I suppose so.

Do we believe that Judy fell in love with Scotty or was it simply guilt that drow her to please him?

I think she had a weak-willed personality to become entangled with Gavin and play out the Madeline role, then to stay in the San Francisco area after what happened doesn't make a lot of sense unless being Gavin's mistress didn't pay much. Character motivation is pretty vague in the movie though so maybe I'm reading far too much into it.

What are your thoughts on Midge's part in the narrative?

Nice girls finish last.

Thought on the ending?

Hate it. Feels really forced and overdramatic to reinforce the supernatural motif that was already killed by the plot twist, all to crush Scotty's hopes again for irony which feels more like lazy writing. Also Judy was far enough from the ledge to make her fall extremely unlikely.

Bonus, courtesy of Sol: How the hell did Madeline get past the receptionist?

As Hitchcock said to Tippi Hedren during the filming of the Birds when she asked why her character walks into a room: "Because it says so in the script".
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Don't have too much to add here, since I'm hardly a Hitchcock fan and it's been ages since I last watched Vertigo. Situating it in my all-time top, it would be around position 9.818-10.822/11.302
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

Onderhond wrote: May 18th, 2022, 5:19 pm Don't have too much to add here, since I'm hardly a Hitchcock fan and it's been ages since I last watched Vertigo. Situating it in my all-time top, it would be around position 9.818-10.822/11.302
Not even top 10.000 :D
ICM | RYM | last.fm | lboxd
Spoiler
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

hey I just listened to this - great podcast (as usual). Can't believe none of you have seen it all that many times, jeez. I think I'm at about 9-10 (at a guess, 3 in the cinema, 2 on VHS, 3 or 4 on DVD, and 1 on BD). More detailed thoughts:

Sure. It's in my top 5, and I think it's the film that's been high on my favorites list for the longest time - 25-30 years. And outside of my personal feelings - it's obviously a film that continues to heavily influence a great many filmmakers and critics, and one that has an enormous catalog of subtexts that can be argued about forever. Perfect for #1 status!

Don't remember. Probably not that surprised - not thrilled or excited or anything. I suppose my feelings overall then and now are, on the one hand I suppose I like Vertigo more, personally; on the other hand, I consider Welles a greater director, and still deserving of more adulation, while I think Hitchcock has had his due.

I think I first saw it in the cinema in the 80s but cannot be certain - it's possible I saw it on commercial TV earlier but I don't think so; pretty sure I saw it another couple of times in the 80s-90s. I loved it immediately but found it very unnerving, disturbing and upsetting - emotions I still feel today with every viewing. But I don't think I loved it as much then as now; I think getting to know the work of all the principals involved - Hitch, Novak, Stewart, Herrmann - has added immeasurably to it's ongoing spell over me. And getting to know more about where it came from, and what has come from it. I don't know that there's any film that has a more interesting and worth-looking-into list of antecedents and descendants. The theme of the double, winding down from Dostoevsky and Kafka (and earlier), and finding it's greatest expression here.

sol gets at a lot of it in the last few minutes - the emotional reaction over the last third of the film. There is no film with two more compelling lead performances/protagonists, and we get to care about both of them deeply, and we know - after the first viewing - that it is going to end badly and it doesn't have to, and it's only their own psychological obsessions and self-made traps that put them on that tower.

No meaningful ones.

Well, it's my favorite of all the films in the current top 10, and it's hard for me to imagine that a new #1 will come from any lower on the list - unless, as discussed in the podcast and elsewhere, the expanding of the lists causes a MAJOR shakeup. I personally doubt that will happen. My gut feeling is that it is going to be one of the current top 4 - Vertigo, Kane, 2001 or Tokyo Story. I think 2001 is the most likely "new" #1, but I guess I'd rather see Tokyo Story simply for something that isn't English-language and that is a bit more "gentle" for a change.

Absolutely. Whether it's completely intentional or not is another matter. I also think - and Kim Novak has said this herself - that Novak's performance and role are absolutely self-reflections of her own early career in Hollywood, when she was molded into a MM knockoff instead of being allowed to be who she really was as an actress or person. She expresses this tension throughout the film - am I me, brown-haired cute-but-ordinary Marilyn Pauline Novak from Chicago, or am I glamorous blonde Kim, Hollywood star - am I Judy, am I Madeline? This performance - these performances - are the lynchpins not only of this film but of much of Hitchcock's work in this era, and a commentary on Hollywood star-making itself, and to get an otherwise good - but rarely sensational - actress, here giving not just the performance of her lifetime but IMO conceivably the greatest lead performance by any actress - this gets so much at the heart of what makes the film so special.