Welcome to the ICM Forum.
Check out our Magazine

If you notice any issues please post in the Q&A thread. Email issue should be fixed. If you encounter this issue, contact PeacefulAnarchy
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 59 released September 18th: Talking Zero Budget Filmmaking with Art School Dropouts)
iCinema Magazine: WE ARE LIVE! (We just need more content)
ICMForum Film Festival 2022: Mon Nov 14 - Dec 12
Polls: Music Videos (Results), 2010 (Sep 25th), Senegal (Sep 30th), 500<400 (Oct 3rd), Japan (Oct 31st)
Challenges: Mexico/Central America/Caribbean, Travel the World, Silent Era
About: Welcome All New Members, Terms of Use, Q&A

soap commercial by Ingmar Bergman

3eyes
Donator

soap commercial by Ingmar Bergman

Post by 3eyes »

my son just sent me this:

:run: STILL the Gaffer!
maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux »

Oh that's cool.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Quite a hidden treasure and definitely unusual for a soap commercial.

How common were TVs in Sweden in 1953? In the US, that was right around when TV ownership passed 50% of households, but I'm guessing it was far lower in Sweden.
3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes »

When I lived in Norway in the 60s TV was state sponsored (I think in Sweden too) and had no commercials. American programs tended to run short of an hour with ads removed, so the remaining minutes showed a ticking clock or a fish tank.

On the other hand, there were ads in the movie theatres before the start of the film (which the US didn't have at the time).
:run: STILL the Gaffer!
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Best Bergman? Perhaps...
Lilarcor
Donator

Post by Lilarcor »

This commercial is from 1951 and was shown in cinemas. Television came to Sweden in 1956, and as 3eyes notes advertising was not allowed on state television in Sweden.
Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity »

Bergman actually made a whole series of those Bris Soap Commercials, nine in total.
Originally, I accepted the Bris commercials in order to save the lives of my self and my families. But that was really secondary. The primary reason I wanted to make the commercials was that I was given free rein with money and I could do exactly what I wanted with the product's message. Anyhow, I have always found it difficult to feel resentment when industry comes rushing toward culture, check in hand. My whole cinematic career has been sponsored by private capital. I have never been able to live on my beautiful eyes alone! As an employer, capitalism is brutally honest and rather generous – when it deems it beneficial. Never do you doubt your day-to-day value – a useful experience which will toughen you.
- I.B.

https://www.ingmarbergman.se/en/product ... ommercials

It's definitely canon, as far as I'm concerned.
We do not have to understand new things, but by dint of patience, effort and method to come to understand with our whole self the truths which are evident.Image
LETTERBOXD | MUBI | IMDb | tumblr.