Welcome to the ICM Forum.
Check out our Magazine

If you notice any issues please post in the Q&A thread. Email issue should be fixed. If you encounter this issue, contact PeacefulAnarchy
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 59 released September 18th: Talking Zero Budget Filmmaking with Art School Dropouts)
iCinema Magazine: WE ARE LIVE! (We just need more content)
ICMForum Film Festival 2022: Mon Nov 14 - Dec 12
Polls: Music Videos (Results), 2010 (Sep 25th), Senegal (Sep 30th), 500<400 (Oct 3rd), Japan (Oct 31st)
Challenges: Mexico/Central America/Caribbean, Travel the World, Silent Era
About: Welcome All New Members, Terms of Use, Q&A

2021 I'm not afraid of you anymore! (contempo music, enter my heart)

sebby

Post by sebby »

Little Simz - Sometimes I Might Be Introvert
UK Hip Hop, Conscious Hip Hop, Neo-Soul, Jazz Rap, Orchestral

Verdict - 3.5/5

Really good, too long, not quite as good as her last album. Seems to be a lot of people's AOTY and I get that even if I don't quite agree. Introvert is definitely one of my favorite songs of the year, though.

Standout track(s):

Last edited by sebby on January 1st, 2022, 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
sebby

Post by sebby »

Remi Wolf - Juno
Contemporary R&B, Indie Pop, Alt-Pop, Synth Funk, Neo-Soul, Pop Rap, Alt-Pop, Bedroom Pop, Funktronica

Verdict - 3.25/5

Well the album cover and genre tags do a better job describing the sound and vibe of tis album than I probably could. Fun and slightly out of control pop music.

Standout track(s):

sebby

Post by sebby »

Emile Mosseri - Minari
Film Score, Ambient, New Age, Modern Classical, Cinematic Classical

Verdict - 3.75/5

Beautiful ambient film score for a boring ass movie that didn't deserve it.

Standout track(s):

Well here's the whole thing, it's all of a piece so

sebby

Post by sebby »

Mach-Hommy - BALENS CHO
East Coast Hip Hop, Jazz Rap, Conscious Hip Hop, Abstract Hip Hop, Boom Bap, Drumless, Spoken Word

Verdict - 3.5/5

Much better than his other 2021 release. Haiti-focused content with impeccable production and Mach's typical smooth flow over everything. LAJAN SAL samples one of my favorite songs ever, a song forgotten to time (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8decLPYess) that is nonetheless timeless. A fun surprise. Anyway the second half of this album is close to flawless.

Standout track(s):

prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson »

sebby wrote: January 1st, 2022, 3:03 am Image

Mach-Hommy - BALENS CHO
East Coast Hip Hop, Jazz Rap, Conscious Hip Hop, Abstract Hip Hop, Boom Bap, Drumless, Spoken Word

Verdict - 3.5/5

Much better than his other 2021 release. Haiti-focused content with impeccable production and Mach's typical smooth flow over everything. LAJAN SAL samples one of my favorite songs ever, a song forgotten to time (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8decLPYess) that is nonetheless timeless. A fun surprise. Anyway the second half of this album is close to flawless.
Still need to listen to this all the way through -- think I've heard all the non-intersitial tracks -- but Pray for Haiti's gonna be hard to top, I thought that was easily his best and most consistent work since HBO. I liked everything I've heard so far except Self Luh -- that felt a little preachy or something, obviating stuff that was just subtext in his earlier work. Labou and Lajan Sal are bangers though. I've been a huge fan of Mach's for about 5 years now -- I think he featured more in Termite Gumbo than anyone else -- glad he's getting some wider recognition now. Very weird lol
sebby

Post by sebby »

prodigalgodson wrote: January 22nd, 2022, 7:54 am
sebby wrote: January 1st, 2022, 3:03 am Image

Mach-Hommy - BALENS CHO

Verdict - 3.5/5

Still need to listen to this all the way through -- think I've heard all the non-intersitial tracks -- but Pray for Haiti's gonna be hard to top, I thought that was easily his best and most consistent work since HBO. I liked everything I've heard so far except Self Luh -- that felt a little preachy or something, obviating stuff that was just subtext in his earlier work. Labou and Lajan Sal are bangers though. I've been a huge fan of Mach's for about 5 years now -- I think he featured more in Termite Gumbo than anyone else -- glad he's getting some wider recognition now. Very weird lol
Conceptual albums are more miss than hit for me but the puzzle pieces all fit together on BALENS CHO for me.

I feel like the only person that wasn't gaga over PFH. Can't say why but it didn't click for me. HBO and The GAT are probably the two Mach albums I return to most.
prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson »

sebby wrote: January 22nd, 2022, 8:16 am Conceptual albums are more miss than hit for me but the puzzle pieces all fit together on BALENS CHO for me.

I feel like the only person that wasn't gaga over PFH. Can't say why but it didn't click for me. HBO and The GAT are probably the two Mach albums I return to most.
I've never listened to the GAT, in fact took me a second to find what you were talking about. I'll make sure to prioritize it, cheers!

I first got into him through Tha God Fahim, when he released like 100 albums in 2017. Dump Gawd: Hommy Edition absolutely blew my mind at the time, the lyricism, the flow, the bonkers drumless beats, the Cuban Linx album cover homage with the fisherman's hat covered in pins from all the countries he'd stayed in...I could not stop listening to that for weeks. To me few projects have ever captured the sense of adventure and explosive potential that defines the appeal (for me) of hip-hop like this one. I lost my digital copy of the album when my old computer got stolen, but then found one online right about the time I started making movies during covid, and that was once again the exclusive soundtrack of my life for a few weeks.

Mach's Hard Lemonade is another of his best imo, and also has a special place in my heart -- the first time I had a chance to shovel out $100 for a CD before it sold out. It came with stickers! Which are too precious to actually use lol.

Going through his discography, so many gems even in the uneven projects too. Damn this shit takes me back to some promising times! Thanks for sparking the revisitation sebby.
sebby

Post by sebby »

Oh man, Fahim. So many releases of his I need to listen to, including the mach collaborations. Loved his projects with Nicholas Craven but that's all I've heard.