Welcome to the ICM Forum.
Check out our Magazine

If you notice any issues please post in the Q&A thread. Email issue should be fixed. If you encounter this issue, contact PeacefulAnarchy
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 59 released September 18th: Talking Zero Budget Filmmaking with Art School Dropouts)
iCinema Magazine: WE ARE LIVE! (We just need more content)
ICMForum Film Festival 2022: Mon Nov 14 - Dec 12
Polls: Music Videos (Results), 2010 (Sep 25th), Senegal (Sep 30th), 500<400 (Oct 3rd), Japan (Oct 31st)
Challenges: Mexico/Central America/Caribbean, Travel the World, Silent Era
About: Welcome All New Members, Terms of Use, Q&A

Joachim discovers "classic" and "important" hardrock and metal albums

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Megadeth - Peace Sells... But Who's Buying? + Countdown to Extinction

Not an unknown band to me, but something I didn't listen to a lot so far. I have a copy of Rust in Peace which I hardly ever play.
By the looks of it you expect quite aggressive music: the name, the logo, the artwork. This is called thrash metal, but it's certainly not as heavy as Slayer or even Metallica in the old days. A lot of songs feel more like hardrock ('n roll) to me, especially Countdown to Extinction, which is of course a lot more recent. Peace Sells is clearly more interesting and has the most 'metal' on it. Some good riffs here and there, but most of it is pretty straightforward. Or maybe my mild opinion is caused by the vocals that sound more like AC/DC than most metal.
Still fun enough to listen to now and then, so I'm keeping the albums in my Apple Music library. But nothing mindblowing to me.

ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Melvins - Bullhead

Cool stuff! Takes its time to build up, but keeps things interesting all the way. Will certainly listen to this again.

ICM-profile
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

joachimt wrote: July 13th, 2022, 4:03 pm Megadeth - Peace Sells... But Who's Buying? + Countdown to Extinction

Not an unknown band to me, but something I didn't listen to a lot so far. I have a copy of Rust in Peace which I hardly ever play.
By the looks of it you expect quite aggressive music: the name, the logo, the artwork. This is called thrash metal, but it's certainly not as heavy as Slayer or even Metallica in the old days. A lot of songs feel more like hardrock ('n roll) to me, especially Countdown to Extinction, which is of course a lot more recent. Peace Sells is clearly more interesting and has the most 'metal' on it. Some good riffs here and there, but most of it is pretty straightforward. Or maybe my mild opinion is caused by the vocals that sound more like AC/DC than most metal.
Still fun enough to listen to now and then, so I'm keeping the albums in my Apple Music library. But nothing mindblowing to me.
Well, Countdown to Extinction was definitely a conscious effort on the part of Dave Mustaine to make a more commercial album, much like Metallica did around the same time with the Black Album.
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Mercyful Fate - Melissa and Don't Break the Oath

One of those "why haven't I listened to this before?" bands. Musically, it's up my alley. I already knew King Diamond, I love Abygail. So it's a very small step to MF. Melissa is a great album. Very good songwriting with hardly any seconds wasted, even in the epic Satan's Fall. Give me those varied long metal songs any day!

Meshuggah - Destroy Erase Improve

Okay, of course not an unknown band to me. I started listening to Meshuggah from the EP I (2004), which really blew my mind and Catch Thirtythree (2005) and also bought two earlier albums at discount (Chaosphere and Nothing). Always followed their releases since. Never went further back than Chaosphere and didn't know Destroy Erase Improve was the genre defining album for them. So that error has been rectified now. Interesting to hear now. It's not as heavy as I know Meshuggah. Of course, the majority of the album has the well known riffs and brutal rhythms. But there's also room for a little bit lighter, more melodic, sounds intertwined. In later albums I always felt the lighter stuff was only there to give the audience a break to take a deep breath before the storm rages on again. On Destroy... it seems like it's still a bit more a part of the music. Not a complaint though, I like both ways.

ICM-profile
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Metal Church - Metal Church (1984)

This was a lot better than expected. I thought it would sound like simplistic humpa-humpa-metal, like Anvil or something like that. There appeared to be a lot more variation though. Some songs are straightforward early trash metal, but a lot of times it's a good mix of trash with more classic heavy metal with riffs like Judas Priest, but the next moment it leans more to the songwriting of Iron Maiden. After three tracks of heavy riffs and screams, I was really surprised when Gods of Wrath started. Huh, a ballad? Oh, wait, there's more to this song than the intro. Didn't expect such a song from a band with such a silly band name.

ICM-profile
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

joachimt wrote: July 12th, 2022, 2:41 pm
Torgo wrote: July 12th, 2022, 2:35 pm That's great, because you can clear Panzer Division Marduk while you're already at M :lol:
Not sure why Marduk wasn't on my list yet. I just added Panzer to the playlist. I have listened to that one in the past, though I hardly remember is. It was once when it just came out.
Just listened to this (again). Have to admit this is fun. Can't say I can easily tell one song from another though.

ICM-profile
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

I'm putting this project on hold again for a while. I just added a lot of new stuff to my need-to-listen-to-playlist. That list now contains 656 songs from albums of 2022, with a total runtime of two days. So that'll keep me busy for a while.
ICM-profile
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Torgo wrote: August 10th, 2021, 8:33 pm
flavo5000 wrote: August 10th, 2021, 3:27 pm I'm a big metal fan (in addition to a ton of other kinds of music). Some I haven't seen mentioned:
Neurosis (for albums I'd go with Times of Grace and maybe The Sun That Sets) - huge influence on bands like Mastodon, Gojira and Baroness
Why yes of course .. ^_^

Third time wearing a bandshirt this year - doesn't happen as often for me anymore without going to concerts due to the overall situation, or, just going anywhere, at all :whistling:
Well fuck, that was that.
https://consequence.net/2022/08/neurosi ... aves-band/

Safe to say Neurosis are over and done after this.
The musical legacy will stay ..
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster »

The new Imperial Triumphant album is really something special. Combines death metal with avant-garde jazz elements.

And yes... this song has Kenny G (a former member of the band was his son)

Torgo

Post by Torgo »

I wouldn't say that it covers dramatically new grounds compared to the previous album or the one before, although they tend to become even less accessible by now.
Luckily, I can confirm from their concert last month that they play a little bit of every big release to let all their hits shine. It was just as good as their 2019-tour.

(Does this still count as a humblebrag)
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster »

Torgo wrote: September 26th, 2022, 8:35 pm I wouldn't say that it covers dramatically new grounds compared to the previous album or the one before, although they tend to become even less accessible by now.
Luckily, I can confirm from their concert last month that they play a little bit of every big release to let all their hits shine. It was just as good as their 2019-tour.

(Does this still count as a humblebrag)
I was tempted to see them but Zeal and Ardour were headlining and they made what is probably the worst album I've heard this year. Not worth the 2 hour travel time for that.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

It was a 15-minute-walk for me, no support, no bullshit, just 1 hour of the pure unfiltered Triumphantness, so I was rather lucky haha