Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 3 released May 19th)
Polls: 1950s (Results), 1966 awards (May 28th), 1935 (May 29th)
Challenges: Comedy, Western, Iberian Peninsula
Film of the Week: Unter den Brücken, June nominations (May 29th)
World Cup S4: Round 2 schedule, Match 2A (Jun 4th)

World Cup, Season 4, Match 1G: Germany vs Pakistan vs Ukraine vs USA (Apr 22nd)

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
joachimt
Donator

World Cup, Season 4, Match 1G: Germany vs Pakistan vs Ukraine vs USA (Apr 22nd)

Post by joachimt » March 25th, 2020, 3:45 pm

This is match 1G of the fourth season of iCM Forum's Film World Cup.

CountryOriginal TitleEnglish TitleYearManagerIMDBICM
GermanyJagdszenen aus NiederbayernHunting Scenes from Bavaria1969klaus78linklink
PakistanJago hua saveraThe Day Shall Dawn1959zhangalanlinklink
UkraineNezabyvayemoyeThe Unforgettable1967Angel Glezlinklink
USACockfighter1974montylinklink

ScreenshotsShow
Jagdszenen aus Niederbayern

Jago hua savera

Nezabyvayemoye

Cockfighter
Voting Rules:
- You must watch all 4 films before you vote.
- To vote, rank the 4 films from most favorite to least favorite. (note: you're ranking the individual films, not the countries)

Voting deadline = Apr 22nd
Countdown till deadline

The countries that end at 1st and 2nd place proceed to the next round. The ranking of the match will be decided using these rules:
- Ranked by highest average ranking (= lowest number).
- In case of a tie between two movies, head-to-head determines the winner (how many people thought A>B and how many thought B>A).
- In case there's still a tie after the previous rule or there is a tie between three or four movies, most #1-votes determines the winner.
- Still a tie? Fewest #4-votes determines the winner.
- Still a tie? The match will have a 3 day extension (except when the tie is only between #3 and #4).
Here's a quick summary of how the tournament worksShow
We start with 32 films from 32 countries. Each country has a manager who determines which movie will be watched. In the first round the countries are divided into 8 groups of 4. From each group the countries that end up at #1 and #2 proceed to the next round. In the 2nd round the 16 remaining countries will be divided into 8 matches of 2. The managers pick a new movie. The winner of each match proceeds to the next round. This continues till the final.
iCM-list of all movies in this World Cup

List of all topics related to the World Cup including previous seasons
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

72aicm
Donator

Post by 72aicm » March 25th, 2020, 4:01 pm

The strongest group in this tournament imo:

1. Jagdszenen aus Niederbayern 8.5/10
2. Nezabyvayemoye 8/10
3. Cockfighter 8/10
4. Jago hua savera 7/10

pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda » March 25th, 2020, 4:02 pm

1. Jago hua savera 7/10
2. Jagdszenen aus Niederbayern 7/10
3. Cockfighter 6/10
4. Nezabyvayemoye 4/10

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » March 25th, 2020, 4:22 pm

1. Cockfighter
2. Jagdszenen aus Niederbayern
3. Jago hua savera
4. Nezabyvayemoye

beavis

Post by beavis » March 27th, 2020, 4:41 pm

1. Jagdszenen aus Niederbayern - 8
2. Cockfighter - 7,5
3. Nezabyvayemoye - 7,5
4. Jago hua savera - 7

klaus78
Donator

Post by klaus78 » March 27th, 2020, 8:14 pm

1. Jagdszenen aus Niederbayern (Germany) 8/10
2. Cockfighter (USA) 7/10
3. Jago hua savera (Pakistan) 7/10
4. Nezabyvayemoye (Ukraine) 6/10

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » March 29th, 2020, 9:22 pm

1. Jagdszenen aus Niederbayern
2. Cockfighter
3. Jago hua savera
4. Nezabyvayemoye

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » March 30th, 2020, 9:53 am

Image Jagdszenen aus Niederbayern 16-2
Image Cockfighter 11-7
Image Jago Hua Savera 6-12
Image Nezabyvaemoe 3-15

Traveller

Post by Traveller » March 31st, 2020, 2:44 pm

2. Nezabyvaemoe
3. Jago Hua Savera
4. Cockfighter
ICM
May Challenge: Image
But at the bottom, the immanent philosopher sees in the entire universe only the deepest longing for absolute annihilation, and it is as if he clearly hears the call that permeates all spheres of heaven: Redemption! Redemption! Death to our life! and the comforting answer: you will all find annihilation and be redeemed!

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » April 1st, 2020, 9:55 am

1. Nezabyvayemoye 8/10
2. Jagdszenen aus Niederbayern 6/10
3. Jago hua savera 5/10
4. Cockfighter 5/10

I only have two films left to watch out of all the first round matches, but out of the 30 films I've seen, Nezabyvayemoye is easily the best film out of all the first round films in my opinion. Definitely fought back tears. Although the editing was a little weird in certain places and some color scenes looked better in black and white, but the shots in color worked well for some of the scenes. It also felt too much like a propaganda film at times, but the same can be said for a lot of great films made in the USSR region over the span of several decades.

Jagdszenen aus Niederbayern had good direction and cinematography. The characters and story itself were too unlikable and left a bad taste in my mouth. All the characters had unlikable traits and even if you're rooting for the main male character or female character at the start of the film and still throughout the middle, both of them possess worse qualities as the film progress even though the viewer is supposed to dislike the town itself and the other residents more, so by the end of the film you're rooting against the town but not really rooting for any particular protagonist character to prevail as well which means you're just waiting for the film to end. If they had just made the main female character or male character with one or two negative scenes cut out, then it would have been better.

Jago hua savera is forgettable. Watched it a few months ago and can't remember it. Looking it up on imdb and wiki only produces the tiniest of memory of the film for me. I gave it a meh rating when I watched it at the time, so I don't feel like I'm forgetting something amazing.

Cockfighter is a film I didn't like and I remember not liking it, so it's last. A lot of scenes are forgettable, but the annoyed pain I felt for this film while watching it is memorable for me.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » April 1st, 2020, 11:48 am

Cocoa wrote:
April 1st, 2020, 9:55 am
Jagdszenen aus Niederbayern had good direction and cinematography. The characters and story itself were too unlikable and left a bad taste in my mouth. All the characters had unlikable traits and even if you're rooting for the main male character or female character at the start of the film and still throughout the middle, both of them possess worse qualities as the film progress even though the viewer is supposed to dislike the town itself and the other residents more, so by the end of the film you're rooting against the town but not really rooting for any particular protagonist character to prevail as well which means you're just waiting for the film to end. If they had just made the main female character or male character with one or two negative scenes cut out, then it would have been better.
I fully agree on this and I'm surprised this movie is doing so extremely well in this match.
ICM-profile

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » April 3rd, 2020, 6:16 pm

Close call, but I'll rank them this way:
1. Nezabyvaemoe 7+/10
2. Jago hua savera 7/10
3. Cockfighter 7/10
4. Jagdszenen aus Niederbayern 6/10
ICM-profile

zuma
Donator

Post by zuma » April 3rd, 2020, 6:58 pm

joachimt wrote:
April 1st, 2020, 11:48 am
Cocoa wrote:
I fully agree on this and I'm surprised this movie is doing so extremely well in this match.
I am surprised that people need to root for a character or identify with a character. Why does there have to be a hero or someone to root for? I do not understand that mindset.

zuma
Donator

Post by zuma » April 3rd, 2020, 7:01 pm

01 - Jagdszenen aus Niederbayern

02 - Cockfighter

03 - Jago hua savera

04 - Nezabyvayemoye

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » April 3rd, 2020, 7:37 pm

zuma wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 6:58 pm
joachimt wrote:
April 1st, 2020, 11:48 am
Cocoa wrote:
I am surprised that people need to root for a character or identify with a character. Why does there have to be a hero or someone to root for? I do not understand that mindset.
My problem was mostly that all the characters were unlikable. It felt like there wasn't a sane people in the whole village, so it felt too unrealistically to me. A bit like a Bruno Dumont movie, but luckily with good cinematography.
ICM-profile

Angel Glez

Post by Angel Glez » April 5th, 2020, 11:46 am

1.Nezabyvayemoye
2.Jago hua savera
3.Cockfighter
4.Jagdszenen aus Niederbayern

Fiery competence. :thumbsup:

The Unforgettable at dailymotion:
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2g8469 (1/2)
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2g8469 (2/2)

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » April 5th, 2020, 4:05 pm

Angel Glez wrote:
April 5th, 2020, 11:46 am
1.Nezabyvayemoye
2.Jago hua savera
3.Cockfighter
4.Jagdszenen aus Niederbayern
Glad to see I'm not alone with this vote. :cheers:
ICM-profile

Smoover

Post by Smoover » April 5th, 2020, 5:23 pm

1 - Jagdszenen aus Niederbayern 7.0
2 - Cockfighter 7.0
3 - Jago hua savera 6.5
4 - Nezabyvayemoye 5.5

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » April 5th, 2020, 5:41 pm

ICM-profile

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » April 6th, 2020, 9:40 am

I feel like I've hit the jackpot with 2/4 movies having some of the most vivid animal exploitation in a feature film. (Anyone have any other suggestions?) The German entry in particular is quite something. I don't know how it manages to stay in the lead being so negative. But it seems like an accurate portrayal of village life.

Thankfully I saw Cockfighter before.
WIll rewatch Ukraine to make sure where to place it. Currently only 0.5 pts separate the 4.
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » April 6th, 2020, 4:21 pm

No, they're all 5.5 for me!
Jago Hua Savera 6-
Jagdszenen aus Niederbayern 5+
Незабываемое 5+
Cockfighter 5+

The Ukrainian film would be better without understanding language or if you didn't watch a ton of this type of movies. Acting sucks, typically cloying script too.
Tough to order the 3 movies.
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech » April 6th, 2020, 9:03 pm

I hate to ask, but since I'm still new, could someone send me the links for this batch of films? I participated in the previous match and would love to see and vote on these films as well. :cheers:

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » April 7th, 2020, 5:58 am

1. Jagdszenen aus Niederbayern AKA Hunting Scenes from Bavaria (1969) - Peter Fleischmann
2. Cockfighter (1974) - Monte Hellman
3. Nezabyvayemoye (1967) - Yuliya Solntseva
4. Jago Hua Savera AKA The Day Shall Dawn (1959) - A.J. Kardar

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » April 7th, 2020, 10:47 am

Knowing monty's persona, I would't be surprised he came across his pick by searching 'cockfighting' on Google for another purpose.

zhangalan

Post by zhangalan » April 7th, 2020, 12:04 pm

Mario Gaborović wrote:
April 7th, 2020, 10:47 am
Knowing monty's persona, I would't be surprised he came across his pick by searching 'cockfighting' on Google for another purpose.
Or when he searched his own name Monty, he realized there is a director named Monte.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » April 7th, 2020, 1:52 pm

zhangalan wrote:
April 7th, 2020, 12:04 pm
Mario Gaborović wrote:
Or when he searched his own name Monty, he realized there is a director named Monte.
Or maybe Monty is Monte Hellman.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » April 7th, 2020, 5:44 pm

kongs_speech wrote:
April 6th, 2020, 9:03 pm
I hate to ask, but since I'm still new, could someone send me the links for this batch of films? I participated in the previous match and would love to see and vote on these films as well. :cheers:
PM
ICM-profile

zhangalan

Post by zhangalan » April 8th, 2020, 1:08 am

blocho wrote:
April 7th, 2020, 1:52 pm
zhangalan wrote:
April 7th, 2020, 12:04 pm
Mario Gaborović wrote:
Or maybe Monty is Monte Hellman.
Monte Hellman / Favourite Films
The Asphalt Jungle (1950) John Huston, Casablanca (1942) Michael Curtiz, Les Enfants du paradis (1945) Marcel Carné, Goodbye, Dragon Inn (2003) Tsai Ming-liang, House of Flying Daggers (2004) Zhang Yimou, Outcast of the Islands (1951) Carol Reed, Le Samouraï (1967) Jean-Pierre Melville, The Spirit of the Beehive (1973) Victor Erice, Stavisky (1974) Alain Resnais, Storm Over Asia (1928) Vsevolod Pudovkin.
Source: Sight & Sound (2012)

Seeing Hellman's favourite films, I never know that he is a fan of (sex) comedy. tehe

zhangalan

Post by zhangalan » April 8th, 2020, 1:11 am

Armoreska wrote:
April 6th, 2020, 4:21 pm
No, they're all 5.5 for me!
Jago Hua Savera 6-
Jagdszenen aus Niederbayern 5+
Незабываемое 5+
Cockfighter 5+

The Ukrainian film would be better without understanding language or if you didn't watch a ton of this type of movies. Acting sucks, typically cloying script too.
Tough to order the 3 movies.
Wow, I didn't expect my film will get any first votes.
Thanks!

I have only watched Cockfighter beside my own pick, and I've already known that I'll betray my own nomination. Strong group. :(

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » April 8th, 2020, 9:43 am

zhangalan wrote:
April 8th, 2020, 1:11 am
Wow, I didn't expect my film will get any first votes.
Thanks!
Yeah and with 2nd-lowest rating so far
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Muellwind

Post by Muellwind » April 9th, 2020, 11:12 pm

2. Nezabyvayemoye
3. Cockfighter
4. Jago hua savera

zhangalan

Post by zhangalan » April 10th, 2020, 5:28 am

Just finished Jagdszenen aus Niederbayern.
Interestingly I notice almost every viewer on Douban compares it with The White Ribbon.

pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda » April 10th, 2020, 8:00 am

zhangalan wrote:
April 10th, 2020, 5:28 am
Just finished Jagdszenen aus Niederbayern.
Interestingly I notice almost every viewer on Douban compares it with The White Ribbon.
I'm surprised they do. Haneke has longstanding issues with bourgeoisie. "Jagdszenen" is more centered on the peasant mentality. I mean there were farmers in The White Ribbon but the movie revolves around the doctor, the teacher, the barons...

zhangalan

Post by zhangalan » April 11th, 2020, 6:34 am

1.Cockfighter
2.Jago hua savera
3.Jagdszenen aus Niederbayern
4.Nezabyvayemoye

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » April 11th, 2020, 7:14 am

Image Jagdszenen aus Niederbayern 36-12
Image Cockfighter 23-25
Image Jago Hua Savera 19-29
Image Nezabyvaemoe 18-30

12 days left.

mathiasa

Post by mathiasa » April 14th, 2020, 2:30 pm

1. Cockfighter. Only movie I‘ve seen before from this batch. It‘s a masterpiece and the death nail for is contenders. 9.7/10
2. Jago Hua Savera. Wonfderful sound design, great atmosphere. Masterly slow pace. 7.0/10
2. Nezabyvyemoye. #2 and #3 were sowewhat close. I was willing to give this the advantage to this because it‘s not in an official. At least in the beginnin, then I changed my opinoion. I still hope that will become official soon 6.4
4. Jagdszenen aus Niederbayers. This got mentioned a lot on the forum so I was in high spirits, unless joachimt said it‘s basically a bruno dumont movie with great cinä——————— mököpöpööpppöppöematrography. It is more like the 12 years old version von dumont mad with A comptetemt cineamtographer. The movie appeals mostly to juveniles who do not yet understand how the world world. In all its crazyness it does have some delights. I even wached it in the morning where Ím the most impressable. 3.9/10

sacmersault

Post by sacmersault » April 14th, 2020, 5:37 pm

I've only seen the Pakistani film, but is anyone else bothered by the fact that the film was about Bangladesh, filmed in Bangladesh and sponsored by the East Pakistan government (Bangladesh) and even shows up as Bangladesh under IMDb?

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » April 14th, 2020, 5:42 pm

sacmersault wrote:
April 14th, 2020, 5:37 pm
I've only seen the Pakistani film, but is anyone else bothered by the fact that the film was about Bangladesh, filmed in Bangladesh and sponsored by the East Pakistan government (Bangladesh) and even shows up as Bangladesh under IMDb?
It's a co-production of two Pakistans actually, with the director being Pakistani as well.

Century Films was based in today's day Pakistan, while the other company wasn't.

kingink

Post by kingink » April 14th, 2020, 8:03 pm

01 - Jagdszenen aus Niederbayern

02 - Jago hua savera

03 - Nezabyvayemoye

04 - Cockfighter

sacmersault

Post by sacmersault » April 14th, 2020, 8:04 pm

I know the director is from Lahore, but it was filmed in Bangladesh with locals and the whole theme of the movie is about Bangladeshi society. I, also, thought that we take the first country posted under IMDb as the country of origin.

I think just for future sake we should specify how countries can be assigned to a country. Otherwise you could choose an Indian film filmed while they were part of Britain, with a company from the UK and consider that a UK film. Same from Algerian films counting as French for a while. Or even the former Soviet, Czechoslovak and Yugoslav countries become muddy and can be used for any of the countries.