Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Favorite Movies (Results), 1945 (Mar 29th), Doubling the Canon (Mar 27th), 1929 awards (Apr 4th)
Challenges: Crime, Directed by Women, Indian Subcontinent
Film of the Week: O Bandido da Luz Vermelha, April nominations (Mar 27th)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1F: Brazil vs Greece vs Japan vs Poland (Apr 5th), 1G: Germany vs Pakistan vs Ukraine vs USA (Apr 22nd)

Your Birthday Movie

Leopardi
Donator

Your Birthday Movie

Post by Leopardi » March 24th, 2020, 12:39 am

Out of curiosity I thought I'd check IMDb to see whether there were any famous films released on the exact day I was born. Sure enough, there were - here's my top hit (released in Chicago):

It's Alive

From the plot summary (for those who haven't seen it): "The Davies expect a baby, which turns out to be a monster with a nasty habit of killing when it's scared. And it's easily scared."

I was probably asking for that. :lol: What's your birthday movie? Just enter your birth date in the release date section of the advanced IMDb search page and see what you get. Any famous titles out there? I've only seen one film from my list (the one above, naturally). How many have you seen? Who's seen the most birthday films?

(And apologies if there's already a thread for this. It seems like something that would have come up before.)

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 24th, 2020, 1:02 am

14 feature films for me and I've seen (and heard of) none.. I guess it wasn't a good day for film.

Popularity:
The Pistol: The Birth of a Legend (1991)
Biography of pro basketball player "Pistol" Pete Maravich, who died suddenly in 1988 at age 40 from a heart attack.

Highest number of votes:
Manobra Radical (1991)
Guel is a guy who lives for surf. But he falls in love with a rich girl, and she gets pregnant. Soon he is forced to choose between surfing or a job at his father-in-law's business.

Highest rating:
Shejari Shejari (1991)
Preeti's marriage is on the rocks at the same time she comes to know that she can get hold of her property only if she has good relations with her husband.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » March 24th, 2020, 1:14 am

The only significant thing that I see is

Up the Junction

an early TV movie directed by Ken Loach, part of an anthology series called "The Wednesday Play". Being born on a non-holiday Wednesday of course there weren't really a lot of movies premiering. Nothing much on the previous Friday, October 29 1965 - the top title by # of IMDb votes by a huge margin is

Le gendarme à New York, a Louis de Funès comedy that i haven't seen (haven't seen anything with him actually).

The following weekend, my first on earth, saw this film premiere on November 5:

Les tribulations d'un Chinois en Chine, another mainstream French comedy, starring Belmondo and Ursula Andress, and directed by Philippe de Broca.

No American releases that anybody is likely to have heard of for either weekend, which seems strange to me, but I don't really know much about release patterns in those days - maybe almost nothing got put out around Halloween at the time; maybe it was the equivalent of late January-early February these days, just the riff-raff being thrown out that nobody was going to bother seeing. Oh and I haven't seen any of these, nor anything released on these three dates except perhaps some of the TV episodes - Hogan's Heroes for example.

My birth date does have a bit of significance in the arts overall though - November 3 1965 is the day The Grateful Dead went into the studio for the first time to record together (as The Emergency Crew).

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » March 24th, 2020, 8:52 am

8½ by Fellini was released, in Italy, on my birthday. (however the premiere was 3 days earlier)

Not many movies are released on Saturdays. I only get 2 obscure Japanese movies when I use advanced search on Imdb.

albajos

Post by albajos » March 24th, 2020, 9:10 am

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074286/
Carry on England, I saw the rest of the Carry Ons in the UK challenge last year (of course my birthday movie is the one with the most boobs in it)

I thought it would have been a Halloween movie, but most of those probably premiered on friday (I'm born on sunday)

clemmetarey
Donator

Post by clemmetarey » March 24th, 2020, 9:22 am

Only one feature film for me Shao Lin xiao zi II: Xin wu long yuan. "The story begins with a mysterious woman named Jinx who hires less than intelligent killers Red Lemon and Yellow Lemon."
It is also the most popular and the most voted for title release on this day. The next two most voted for are an episode of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers "The Mutiny: Part I", and "Donald Trump: Master of the Deal" from the TV program Biography.

72aicm
Donator

Post by 72aicm » March 24th, 2020, 10:46 am

A Short Film About Love by Kieslowski.

jal90

Post by jal90 » March 24th, 2020, 11:24 am

Just three features and one TV movie (and a number of TV episodes). The only one I know and watched as a kid is Problem child by Dennis Dugan, an endearing family fun thing that used to air a lot on TV when I was a kid. It wasn't very good though.

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » March 24th, 2020, 1:04 pm

nothing except a bunch of TV episodes from the early 70s (and the 1971 NBA all star game)...unless I'm not using the IMDB advanced search correctly. I was born on a Tuesday I think. That might be why.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » March 24th, 2020, 5:50 pm

Looks like the closest and most notable ones to my birthdate are Barfly, and Hope and Glory (released October 16, 1987). Seen neither of them, though.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

dirty_score

Post by dirty_score » March 24th, 2020, 6:00 pm

7 features films, the 2 most popular are:

"Enemy Mine" - official check in the sci-fi list. Haven't seen.

"My Life as a Dog" - included in the swedish list and criterion. This one I have seen in 2016.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » March 24th, 2020, 6:02 pm

When I saw the title of this topic, I immediately thought "Groundhog Day". Not that this movie was released on my birthday, but my birthday is February the 2nd and that's the date in GD.

Anyway, checking IMDb results in 60 titles. Seen none. 7 movies, 1 mini-series and 52 episodes. The one with the most votes on IMDb is Flambards. Never heard of it. Only check on iCM is xianjiro.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin » March 24th, 2020, 6:51 pm

The Gods Must Be Crazy IV . Pretty sure I have seen at least parts of the first movie on TV.

Top 300 | RYM | Letterboxd

Member of the Experimental Mafia | What's My Line? #1 Fan

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » March 24th, 2020, 7:52 pm

Dolwphin wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 6:51 pm
The Gods Must Be Crazy IV . Pretty sure I have seen at least parts of the first movie on TV.
I've seen it countless times. Loved it as a kid.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

tazz_85

Post by tazz_85 » March 24th, 2020, 9:50 pm

There are a few releases on my date of birth, but i don't know any of them.
But the day after Cocoon and Return to Oz were released :)

burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan » March 25th, 2020, 12:27 am

I missed Blazing Saddles by one day (and Zardoz by two...whew!).

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » March 25th, 2020, 4:24 pm

15 films and tv movies, apparently, though I don't know how many were premieres and how many were just released in a particular country on that day.
Haven't seen any of them and don't recognize them either, though there is a Tarr film among them, so I guess it's the most notable (it's the one with most votes anyway).

sebby

Post by sebby » March 26th, 2020, 6:03 am

Only thing of note would be Shanghai Blues. Haven't seen it.

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » March 27th, 2020, 10:56 pm

Looks like Just Before Dawn, the backwoods slasher from 1981, is my top birthdate movie. I'll take it :)

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » March 27th, 2020, 11:15 pm

flavo5000 wrote:
March 27th, 2020, 10:56 pm
Looks like Just Before Dawn, the backwoods slasher from 1981, is my top birthdate movie. I'll take it :)
that's a good one! :cheers:

zzzorf

Post by zzzorf » Yesterday, 4:30 am

Was this just a ploy to work out everyone's date of birth, lol.

Anyway I have checked this out before and I have only got Black Venus, a Bahamas/Spain/France co-production starring a former Miss Barbados winner Josephine Jacqueline Jones and is a softcore similar in style to the Emmanuelle movies. I have actually searched this movie out and watched it a few months back with me actually enjoying it somewhat giving it a 7/10 despite it's 4.4 IMDb rating.