Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Underrated (Results), Directors (Jan 4th), 1981 awards (Jan 21st), Italy (Jan 31st), 2019 (Feb 16th)
Challenges: Sci-Fi/Fantasy, Balkan, 1000<400
Film of the Week: Istoria mias kalpikis liras, February nominations (Jan 31st)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1B: Italy vs Senegal vs Slovenia vs Taiwan (Jan 26th), 1C: Albania vs Cuba vs Iceland vs Russia (Feb 12th)

1 album, 1+ listen/day for one week. Recommend something.

sebby

1 album, 1+ listen/day for one week. Recommend something.

Post by sebby » January 15th, 2020, 5:11 am

Literally anything that isn't industrial, modern country, screamo, house or death metal. ≤ 60 mins. Doesn't matter if I've heard it before, if it's an obscure gem or typical mainstream trash.

Daily impressions may be provided.

Why I am doing this...as yet unclear.

Jan 14-19 Syd Barrett - The Madcap Laughs
Jan 20-26 Anathema - Weather Systems
Jan 27 - Feb 2 Tindersticks - Tindersticks
Feb 3-9 Judy Collins - Wildflowers
Feb 10-16 REM - Automatic for the People
Feb 17-23 Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Feb 24-Mar 1 Jorge Ben - África Brasil
Mar 2-Mar 8 Susumu Hirasawa - Kyuusai no Gihou
Mar 9-15 Stage Dive - And Then There's A Rose
Mar 16-22 Vangelis - Voices
Mar 23-29 Comus - First Utterance
Mar 30-Apr 5 Xanopticon - Liminal Space
Apr 6-12 Funkadelic - Hardcore Jollies
Apr 13-19 Kyuss - Welcome to Sky Valley
Last edited by sebby on January 20th, 2020, 12:35 pm, edited 5 times in total.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » January 15th, 2020, 5:44 am

Syd Barrett - The Madcap Laughs (1970)
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » January 15th, 2020, 7:08 am

Anathema - Weather Systems
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

sebby

Post by sebby » January 15th, 2020, 7:58 am

Ok, I'll start with the Syd. Listened to it many years ago and only remember that I enjoyed it more than anything PF related he was involved in.

Never heard of anathema. Won't even look them (him? her?) up before pressing play on spotify when I get to it Tuesday.
Last edited by sebby on January 15th, 2020, 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage » January 15th, 2020, 7:59 am

Tindersticks - Tindersticks

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » January 15th, 2020, 9:00 am

Wildflowers (Judy Collins, 1967)
That's all, folks!

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » January 15th, 2020, 1:10 pm

I can't pick one but I'll try :(
https://www.discogs.com/lists/My-top-fa ... ums/130268

new age
My #3, Vangelis - Voices?
SpoilerShow
but I've already posted my favorite music from there in the favorite songs list.
k, a few more

electronic
On The Floor At The Boutique (DJ Set not a standard album of new music)
SpoilerShow
Since the rest of the top 25 is pretty well trodden, I'll pick a few more from the latest favorite finds 1 per genre:

punk rock
Exit-Stance ‎– While Backs Are Turned...
SpoilerShow
hip-hop
Atmosphere - You Can't Imagine How Much Fun We're Having
SpoilerShow
pop/electronic (actual album)
M People - Elegant Slumming
SpoilerShow
rock (no screaming)
Earthless - Sonic Prayer
SpoilerShow
folk
Graham Nash ‎– Songs For Beginners
SpoilerShow
prog
Nektar ‎– Remember The Future
SpoilerShow
soul/funk
Rose Royce ‎– In Full Bloom
SpoilerShow

ambient
Suspended Memories - Forgotten Gods
SpoilerShow
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » January 15th, 2020, 1:17 pm

REM Automatic for the People

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » January 15th, 2020, 1:39 pm

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

sebby

Post by sebby » January 15th, 2020, 2:17 pm

Syd Barrett - The Madcap Laughs

Day 1 - Listen 1

So I was listening via bluetooth speaker while showering. If there is a better setting for critical analysis, I have yet to find it. guitar seems way too forward in the mix, almost punching down the vocals. :shrug:

Day 2 - Listen 2

Interesting how some brits sing with a heavy accent and others sound like they could be from the midwestern US when you put a mic in front of them. Hmmm. What are these pale m!@#$%*&*%^#s up to.

Songs have a samey-same quality (technical jargon) that I can't quite shake through two listens. Had the same issue recently with norman fucking rockwell. one of the innumerable ways mr barrett and lana del rey are, essentially, indistinguishable.

This time i listened through my iphone with a nice pair of mid-fi headphones. not in shower. or even in bathroom. guitar less aggressive about stating it's presence.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » January 15th, 2020, 5:32 pm

Isn't music all about breaking your comfort zone? Even if you hate industrial I could see you liking some of Coil's work.

My recommendation is Susumu Hirasawa's Kyuusai no Gihou

kingink

Post by kingink » January 15th, 2020, 7:16 pm

cinephage wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 7:59 am

Oh, cinephage! :wub: One of my all time favorite albums! :cheers:

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » January 15th, 2020, 8:16 pm

Tindersticks is indeed a great band.

Cinepolis

Post by Cinepolis » January 15th, 2020, 8:26 pm

Stage Dive - And Then There's A Rose

Very unknown rock band. This also seems to be the only available album. I first heard their music through "Night of the Clown", a 90s indie slasher that used their song "Silent Tears" in the trailer.

sebby

Post by sebby » January 16th, 2020, 12:38 am

Pretentious Hipster wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 5:32 pm
Isn't music all about breaking your comfort zone? Even if you hate industrial I could see you liking some of Coil's work.

Yes and no. Part of the appeal of doing this for me is in fact hearing shit I never would have come across. But also I have tried to listen to almost everything over the years; some stuff I have come to find too displeasing to explore further. There's already enough music in genres and from artists I like that I haven't yet heard for me to continue trying to find industrial/noise/emo/house/etc that i find appealing. it's like not liking gin but continuing to drink different brands of gin hoping one will make you feel the way gin-lovers feel when they drink it.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » January 16th, 2020, 12:47 am

sebby wrote:
January 16th, 2020, 12:38 am

Yes and no. Part of the appeal of doing this for me is in fact hearing shit I never would have come across. But also I have tried to listen to almost everything over the years; some stuff I have come to find too displeasing to explore further. There's already enough music in genres and from artists I like that I haven't yet heard for me to continue trying to find industrial/noise/emo/house/etc that i find appealing. it's like not liking gin but continuing to drink different brands of gin hoping one will make you feel the way gin-lovers feel when they drink it.
Would it be ok if you keep going with this if I give recommendations for some genres that I didn't find appealing at first, or can see you finding exceptions for the genre? I hated house until I listened to one various artist compilation of early 90s italian house music. For industrial I can think of one of Low's albums.

EDIT: And of course Coil's Ape of Naples for industrial too.

sebby

Post by sebby » January 16th, 2020, 1:36 am

January 16th, 2020, 12:47 am
sebby wrote:

Would it be ok if you keep going with this if I give recommendations for some genres that I didn't find appealing at first, or can see you finding exceptions for the genre? I hated house until I listened to one various artist compilation of early 90s italian house music. For industrial I can think of one of Low's albums.

Ok, new rule for excluded genres: EPs or very short albums (under 25 mins) are acceptable. I don't mind reaching out of my comfort zone, but I also don't want this to turn into something that feels too much like work, either.

I am somewhat familiar with Low. I have heard The Great Destroyer, though it didn't strike me as what I think of when I think industrial music. So if there's industrial out there that isn't noisy or abrasive, I might not hate it.

sebby

Post by sebby » January 16th, 2020, 1:54 am

Armoreska wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 1:10 pm
I can't pick one but I'll try :(
https://www.discogs.com/lists/My-top-fa ... ums/130268

new age
My #3, Vangelis - Voices?
SpoilerShow
but I've already posted my favorite music from there in the favorite songs list.
k, a few more

electronic
On The Floor At The Boutique (DJ Set not a standard album of new music)
SpoilerShow
Since the rest of the top 25 is pretty well trodden, I'll pick a few more from the latest favorite finds 1 per genre:

punk rock
Exit-Stance ‎– While Backs Are Turned...
SpoilerShow
hip-hop
Atmosphere - You Can't Imagine How Much Fun We're Having
SpoilerShow
pop/electronic (actual album)
M People - Elegant Slumming
SpoilerShow
rock (no screaming)
Earthless - Sonic Prayer
SpoilerShow
folk
Graham Nash ‎– Songs For Beginners
SpoilerShow
prog
Nektar ‎– Remember The Future
SpoilerShow
soul/funk
Rose Royce ‎– In Full Bloom
SpoilerShow

ambient
Suspended Memories - Forgotten Gods
SpoilerShow
Could you pick one from this group. Or shall i pick one at random?

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » January 16th, 2020, 3:03 am

sebby wrote:
January 16th, 2020, 1:36 am
sebby wrote:

Ok, new rule for excluded genres: EPs or very short albums (under 25 mins) are acceptable. I don't mind reaching out of my comfort zone, but I also don't want this to turn into something that feels too much like work, either.

I am somewhat familiar with Low. I have heard The Great Destroyer, though it didn't strike me as what I think of when I think industrial music. So if there's industrial out there that isn't noisy or abrasive, I might not hate it.
They usually do indie rock and dream pop. Their most recent album was a change. Coil's Ape of Naples is not noisy, but some of their music is. I mean hell one of them is the inventor of the genre.

Maybe in the future I can give an album with a song that's representative of it and if you hate the song you can just go to the next rec?

sebby

Post by sebby » January 16th, 2020, 5:18 am

January 16th, 2020, 3:03 am
sebby wrote:
January 16th, 2020, 1:36 am

Maybe in the future I can give an album with a song that's representative of it and if you hate the song you can just go to the next rec?
Yeah, that works.

sebby

Post by sebby » January 16th, 2020, 7:40 am

Day 2 - Listen 3

Things beginning to come into focus. Initial thoughts of this being a lo-fi bedroom sort of recording have fallen apart. Production and instrumentation often messy with half ideas and really interesting as a result.

cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage » January 16th, 2020, 9:23 am

kingink wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 7:16 pm
cinephage wrote:

:cheers:
I really enjoy this band. Even their minor albums have a few gems, but this album comes back every once in a while. I just love it too.
They're playing in Paris on Jan 31st... I'm looking forward to that. :wub:

kingink

Post by kingink » January 16th, 2020, 9:44 am

cinephage wrote:
January 16th, 2020, 9:23 am
kingink wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 7:16 pm
cinephage wrote:

:cheers:
I really enjoy this band. Even their minor albums have a few gems, but this album comes back every once in a while. I just love it too.
They're playing in Paris on Jan 31st... I'm looking forward to that. :wub:
They come to Greece very often since they have a very strong fanbase here. I have seen them 5 or 6 times but it's been quite some time simce the last one so I am thinking it's time to see them again. :party:
I am waiting for your review sebby but I guess you have listened to Tindersticks before.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » January 16th, 2020, 10:26 am

sebby wrote:
January 16th, 2020, 1:54 am
Either from the top or any, don't ask me :shrug:
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

sebby

Post by sebby » January 16th, 2020, 12:36 pm

Armoreska wrote:
January 16th, 2020, 10:26 am
sebby wrote:
January 16th, 2020, 1:54 am
Either from the top or any, don't ask me :shrug:
Ok I'll go with your top mention.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » January 16th, 2020, 1:22 pm

I've watchlisted...... eh...... listenlisted (?) that Tindersticks album. I know a few of their songs, but never listen to an entire album. To be clear, we're talking about their debut from 1993, right? That one is called "The First Tindersticks Album" according to Discogs, while "Tindersticks" is from 1995.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

kingink

Post by kingink » January 16th, 2020, 2:40 pm

joachimt wrote:
January 16th, 2020, 1:22 pm
I've watchlisted...... eh...... listenlisted (?) that Tindersticks album. I know a few of their songs, but never listen to an entire album. To be clear, we're talking about their debut from 1993, right? That one is called "The First Tindersticks Album" according to Discogs, while "Tindersticks" is from 1995.
Both of them are equally great but yeah, this is the 1993 album.

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » January 16th, 2020, 6:58 pm

Comus - First Utterance

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » January 17th, 2020, 9:16 pm

nimimerkillinen wrote:
January 16th, 2020, 6:58 pm
Comus - First Utterance
haha epic pick. Song to Comus is a megahit
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

sebby

Post by sebby » January 18th, 2020, 1:36 am

Day 3 - Listen 4

Nothing really new to report. I lean toward liking many songs and don't really dislike any, but there's nothing as great as "Baby Lemonade" on here. "Feel" and "Octopus" are probably the closest to favorites.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » January 18th, 2020, 1:43 am

Love You is my favourite.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

sebby

Post by sebby » January 18th, 2020, 2:48 am

yeah that's a good one. also like dark globe a lot. but i am growing quite tired of terrapin.

sebby

Post by sebby » January 18th, 2020, 1:29 pm

Day 4 - Listen 5

Happily enough, I've not grown tired of the required daily listen to this album. Songs are starting to pull apart from each other and now becoming their own entities. Hoping this weekend bears more fruit. Right now I'd say this is a solid 3/3+.

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » January 18th, 2020, 2:32 pm

Funkadelic- Hardcore Jollies

or Kyuss- Sky Valley if the former doesn't tickle your fancy. ;)

sebby

Post by sebby » January 20th, 2020, 12:20 pm

Days 5 and 6 - Listens 6 and 7, Final Thoughts

Syd gets shortchanged a day so that I can have an easy Mon-Sun schedule moving forward. Sorry, old chum.

In the end this album is about what I remember it being: good, but not quite as genius or revolutionary as the hype that initially drew me to it as an aspiring teenage music snob. Without "Terrapin" I'd probably rate it more highly and call it one of the better albums of its year. Kind of hard to rebound from a long opening track that sits in my mind as the worst thing on the whole record.

The goodliest tunes:

sebby

Post by sebby » January 20th, 2020, 12:33 pm

peeptoad wrote:
January 18th, 2020, 2:32 pm

Two for the price of one! Since I'm a triskaidekaphobe, I'll actually be adding both of these to my sched.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » January 20th, 2020, 2:03 pm

peeptoad wrote:

:wub:

Wait, you're listening to the same album everyday? That's weird.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » January 20th, 2020, 2:45 pm

sebby wrote:
January 20th, 2020, 12:33 pm
peeptoad wrote:

Two for the price of one! Since I'm a triskaidekaphobe, I'll actually be adding both of these to my sched.
rock & roll, sebby :thumbsup: (literally)
Armoreska wrote:
January 20th, 2020, 2:03 pm
peeptoad wrote:

:wub:
:thumbsup: