Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 11 released July 24th)
Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), 1960 (Aug 9th), Romance (Aug 28th)
Challenges: German/Austrian/Swiss, <400, 1970s
Film of the Week: Sibiriada, September nominations (Aug 28th)
World Cup S4: Match 2G: Russia vs Portugal (Aug 6th), Match 2H: India vs Cuba (Aug 16th), QF Preparation (Aug 25th)

ahead of the curve

fori

ahead of the curve

Post by fori » January 8th, 2020, 10:59 pm

What film(s)/genre(s)/movement(s) were/are you ahead of the curve on?

I’ve dived pretty heavily into some obscure Chinese films in the past year or more, many of which have attracted almost no attention internationally. Among them are many classics I have deeply enjoyed, and I can’t help but wonder if, with the huge international boom of Chinese film going on at the moment, we could see things like criterion releases of them and online hype 5+ years down the track.
Are there any things like this for you? Have you gotten into a film/director/genre/etc that receives almost no attention in communities like this one but you feel has a revival coming? Alternatively, were there things that were obscure when you first saw them but have now become much more well known?

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » January 9th, 2020, 12:35 am

I was the first to check some obscure animated films that later became popular on this forum. For example, I was the first to check Feherlofia, Krysar, Carodejuv Ucen, Heroic Times, and Belladonna of Sadness. And lots of others that aren't popular on this forum yet, but maybe they will be in the future.

I also seem to be the only person on this forum who regularly watches Asian dramas (by dramas, I mean TV). I'm not sure if Asian dramas will ever be popular on this forum, but I think they would be if people watched them.

fori

Post by fori » January 9th, 2020, 12:51 am

That’s interesting, how did you come to see so many noteworthy films of world animation before the rest of us? I had seen Belladonna of Sadness before joining icheckmovies due to being a real anime nerd, but only caught up on the others when they started to take off.
I don’t watch a lot of Asian dramas, but will occasionally watch Chinese shows if my wife is interested, and we do watch a bit of Chinese reality tv as well. Overall I’ve gotten through 10 Asian dramas at most. You should do a recommendations thread.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » January 9th, 2020, 1:07 am

Other iCM users might have watched them before me, but they hadn't joined iCM yet. I started watching a lot of obscure animated films in 2009.

If I remember correctly, I heard about Feherlofia, Krysar, and Carodejuv Ucen on the IMDb animation forum. I also watched various animated films with high IMDb ratings. I also got recommendations from various unofficial animation lists, for example the Laputa animation list.

I can make an Asian drama lounge if other people are interested. I'm not sure if I'm ready to make a guide or a countdown thread. I've only watched 25 so far.