Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: 2007 (Results), 2017 awards (Dec 21st), 1955 (Dec 27th), Directors (Dec 31st), Underrated (Jan 3rd), Knockout competition (Round 5)
Challenges: Documentary, Travel the World, Italy
Film of the Week: Le septième juré, December nominations (Dec 27th)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1A: Canada vs England vs Estonia vs Iran (Dec 29th)

Books on movies

Coryn

Books on movies

Post by Coryn » December 1st, 2019, 8:20 pm

Hi guys

I am looking for books on movies, especially books which go broad. I am for example not looking for books on a single director, a single movie, camera techniques, ...
The books I like to read on movies are for example:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3893006-film

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/783 ... re_You_Die

They especially help me in my 2nd hobby which is quizzing. Any recommendations I could ask for christmas ?
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » December 2nd, 2019, 10:43 am

Film Art: An Introduction by David Bordwell is sure recom. It gives a great explanation about the different aspects of filmmaking, which helps to understand and analyse movies beter. And it uses all kind of example from movies for this so it’s easier to understand.

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » December 2nd, 2019, 2:23 pm

Mark Cousins' The Story of Film (and the 15 hour long mini-series), Cook's A History of Narrative Film, or the Bordwell+Thompson book Lonewolf suggested are safe bets for general coverage of 20th century narrative film history and world cinema

I made a similar thread to this one a while back, funky made an extensive post in it
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
Close the world. ʇxǝu ǝɥʇ uǝdO.
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

Traveller

Post by Traveller » December 2nd, 2019, 4:58 pm

Sorry for hijacking, but has anyone read The World Viewed: Reflections on the Ontology of Film by Stanley Cavell? Also, does anyone have recommendations for books similar to Deleuze' books on cinema?
ICM
December Challenge: Image
But at the bottom, the immanent philosopher sees in the entire universe only the deepest longing for absolute annihilation, and it is as if he clearly hears the call that permeates all spheres of heaven: Redemption! Redemption! Death to our life! and the comforting answer: you will all find annihilation and be redeemed!

Lilarcor
Donator

Post by Lilarcor » December 2nd, 2019, 10:07 pm

A new book that I found enjoyable (mostly light) read is Unwatchable. 50 short essays reflecting on what is "unwatchable" around us, so not only talking about films, but should be interesting to most I think. Not the kind of book you read start to finish, but one for which I have picked an essay to read here and there.

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/39983410