Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Shorts (Results), 2007 (Nov 22nd), 1932 awards (Nov 24th), Knockout competition (Round 3)
Challenges: Noir, Unofficial, Korean, 2020 schedule
Film of the Week: Saenghwalui balgyeon, December nominations (Nov 29th)
World Cup S4: Round 1 preparation (Nov 28th)
Film Festival: Main Slate, International, English-Language Independents, Documentaries, Arthouse, Animation, LGBT, Just Before Dawn (Dec 2nd)

iCMFF19 - Just Before Dawn

outdoorcats

iCMFF19 - Just Before Dawn

Post by outdoorcats » November 10th, 2019, 3:35 am

Welcome to the 2019 iCheckMovies Film Festival!

Festival Dates: Nov. 9-Dec. 2

Please rate the films the films you've seen on a scale from 1-10 to help contribute to this year's Audience Award.
(Ratings are due by the end of day on December 2nd EST to be counted)

This is the thread where all users can rate and discuss the films in this year's Just Before Dawn section, the section for horror, cult, thriller, and other "midnight movies." We're looking forward to everyone in the iCM Forum community taking part!

Anyone who watches all films in this section by the end date can also help pick the jury award for this section.

Beast dir. Michael Pearce. 2017, 107 min. :imdb::ICM:
In this hidden gem, a troubled woman living in an isolated community finds herself pulled between the control of her oppressive family and the allure of a secretive outsider suspected of a series of brutal murders.

Keep an Eye Out dir. Quentin Dupieux. 2018, 73 min. :imdb::ICM:
From Dupieux, the bonkers director of Rubber (the murderous car tire movie): police officers at a station must solve a murder case. That's all I'm telling you. Go in to this one as blind as possible.

One Cut of the Dead dir. Shin'ichirô Ueda. 2017, 96 min. :imdb::ICM:
Things go badly for a hack director and film crew shooting a low budget zombie movie when they are attacked by real zombies in this comedy/horror hailed as the best of its genre since Shaun of the Dead.

Tigers Are Not Afraid dir. Issa López. 2017, 83 min. :imdb::ICM:
A critically acclaimed dark fairy tale about a gang of five children trying to survive both the horrific violence of the cartels and supernatural threats.

The Untamed dir. Amat Escalante. 2016, 98 min. :imdb::ICM:
In Mexican provocateur Escalante's latest, a couple in a troubled marriage locate a meteorite, initiating an encounter with a mysterious creature.

[a LION eats GOD. Gunshots ring out. MATT turns around]
MATT: That's the guy I was telling you about.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » November 10th, 2019, 4:22 am

Already finished off this one...

Kamera wo tomeruna! (2017) 7/10
Didn't write anything for this one, but I thought it was really fun.

Vuelven (2017) 6/10
After the disappearance of her mother, a young girl joins a gang of boys on the streets of Mexico but they become targets of the cartel when they steal a mobile phone. All the kids put in great performances creating believable and sympathetic characters that really help bring the horrors of every day to life. Some of the darker fantasy stuff works - the whispering and ghosts are kinda spooky - but most of the fantasy elements fall flat. It feels similar to Pan's Labyrinth which blended reality and fantasy much more effectively; in this film, it felt like it was trying to push the metaphors too hard and they distracted from the core of the film.

La región salvaje (2016) 6/10
A woman in an unhappy, sexually unfulfilling marriage meets a woman who introduces her to a tentacled alien that brings a new kind of pleasure. This film is interesting and leaves you wanting more, but ultimately leaves too many unanswered questions. There is some strong unsettling imagery, but it's never atmospheric or moody enough and feels disjointed. The narrative and characters are all intriguing, dealing with issues of sexuality, repression, homosexuality and family drama, and though these all tie in to their reasons for visiting the alien, they never really come together. It's enjoyable, but unfulfilling.

Beast (2017) 5/10
A shy young woman falls in love with a mysterious outsider who becomes the lead suspect in a series of brutal murders and rapes. This is interesting to begin with, but quickly unravels into a generic Twilight-style romance. The acting is ok, but as it goes on it feels more and more like a performance and less natural and believable. The film also focuses much more on the romance than on the mystery, the 'thriller' aspects or character development. The lead woman is defined by her being a shy, awkward outcast in her community and that is the extent of her personality. Her lover is simply a mysterious guy because he grimaces a lot and gets angry sometimes. By the end of the film I was just really annoyed.

Au poste! (2018) 6/10
A man is held at a police station for an interrogation as a murder suspect. This is a pretty simple film that takes place almost entirely in the police office where the interrogation takes place. When one of the officers is involved in an accident, the main character hides his body and tries to continue the interrogation as we see into his memories as they get distorted by his guilt and worry over the dead officer. There are a few weird and amusing moments despite the boring 'story' that is being told, and a few moments that drag, but you want to see how it all ends. The ending itself is kind of disappointing, though.

Ranking
1. Kamera wo tomeruna! (2017)
2. La región salvaje (2016)
3. Vuelven (2017)
4. Au poste! (2018)
5. Beast (2017)
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

lynchs

Post by lynchs » November 10th, 2019, 2:51 pm

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Welcome again iCMFF's outdoorcats)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Beast (2017) 410 caught on TV, I lost interest in about 30 minutes

La región salvaje (2016) 610 long time ago (3 years to be exact)

Kamera wo tomeruna! (2017) N/A caught on TV, couldn't finish 10 minutes, sorry

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » November 10th, 2019, 4:54 pm

All - I'm in charge of collecting ratings for the sections, so please keep a few things in mind to help make my life just a bit easier:

- Please use the English titles when noting your ratings
- Make sure you report your ratings on the 1-10 IMDB scale
- Don't edit your posts - please make a new post when you add more ratings (so I actually see them)
- If you see any errors or omissions on my data collection, please point it out to me.

If you want to see the ratings and follow along, here is the spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Teproc

Post by Teproc » November 10th, 2019, 6:29 pm

Beast - 3/10. Nice cinematography but an infuriating experience overall, though I don't remember exactly why.
Keep An Eye Out - 7/10. Very funny, even existential at times. It does feel a bit like an elongated short though. Poelvoorde is always captivating on screen.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » November 10th, 2019, 8:56 pm

Beast 7/10

I'll watch Vuelven later this week.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

kingink

Post by kingink » November 13th, 2019, 2:45 pm

The Untamed aka La región salvaje 7/10
Tigers Are Not Afraid aka Vuelven 5/10
One Cut of the Dead 3/10

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » November 14th, 2019, 4:16 pm

One Cut of The Dead - 7.8
The Untamed - 6.1
Beast - 5.7

kingink

Post by kingink » November 14th, 2019, 6:23 pm

If I suspect that I will be the one giving the lowest rating to a zombie film, I will set myself on fire!!! :circle: (D:)

72aicm
Donator

Post by 72aicm » November 14th, 2019, 8:16 pm

One Cut of the Dead - 7.5
Tigers Are Not Afraid - 9

beavis

Post by beavis » November 14th, 2019, 8:21 pm

1. Tigers Are Not Afraid - 8,5
2. Keep an Eye Out - 8,5
3. One Cut of the Dead - 8
4. Beast - 8
5. The Untamed - 7,5
Last edited by beavis on November 14th, 2019, 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » November 14th, 2019, 8:48 pm

Vuelven 6/10

Traveller

Post by Traveller » November 16th, 2019, 4:54 pm

One Cut of the Dead - 4/10
ICM
November Challenge: ImageImage
But at the bottom, the immanent philosopher sees in the entire universe only the deepest longing for absolute annihilation, and it is as if he clearly hears the call that permeates all spheres of heaven: Redemption! Redemption! Death to our life! and the comforting answer: you will all find annihilation and be redeemed!

shugs
Donator

Post by shugs » November 16th, 2019, 10:43 pm

1. Kamera wo tomeruna! [One Cut of the Dead] (Shin'ichirô Ueda, 2017) - 9/10
A lot of fun, with an interesting, cool concept. The less you know about it beforehand, the better.

2. Beast (Michael Pearce, 2017) - 2/10
Ugh, the script was high schooler trying to be deep levels of garbage, the acting was unconvincing and if there was a bingo card of indie artsy films cliches it would have been completely filled by the end. There was also a bunny bashing scene which solidifies this as the worst thing I've watched this year. :down: :down: :yucky:

kingink

Post by kingink » November 17th, 2019, 12:32 pm

Keep an Eye Out 8/10
That was a fun ride!

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » November 18th, 2019, 6:11 pm

Tigers Are Not Afraid aka Vuelven 7/10
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » Yesterday, 3:35 pm

Beast - 7
Keep an Eye Out - 7
One Cut of the Dead - 6
Tigers Are Not Afraid - 10
The Untamed - 7

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here