Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Shorts (Results), 2007 (Nov 22nd), 1932 awards (Nov 24th), Knockout competition (Round 3)
Challenges: Noir, Unofficial, Korean, 2020 schedule
Film of the Week: Saenghwalui balgyeon, December nominations (Nov 29th)
World Cup S4: Round 1 preparation (Nov 28th)
Film Festival: Main Slate, International, English-Language Independents, Documentaries, Arthouse, Animation, LGBT, Just Before Dawn (Dec 2nd)

iCMFF19 - Animation

outdoorcats

iCMFF19 - Animation

Post by outdoorcats » November 10th, 2019, 2:51 am

Welcome to the 2019 iCheckMovies Film Festival!

Festival Dates: Nov. 9-Dec. 2

Please rate the films the films you've seen on a scale from 1-10 to help contribute to this year's Audience Award.
(Ratings are due by the end of day on December 2nd EST to be counted)

This is the thread where all users can rate and discuss the films in this year's Animation section. We're looking forward to everyone in the iCM Forum community taking part!

Anyone who watches all films in this section by the end date can also help pick the jury award for this section.

Another Day of Life dir. Raúl de la Fuente and Damian Nenow. 2018, 85 min. :imdb::ICM:
A gripping story of a three-month-long journey that renowned Polish reporter Ryszard Kapuscinski took across war-ravaged Angola in 1975.

The Girl Without Hands dir. Sébastien Laudenbach. 2016, 76 min. :imdb::ICM:
A strikingly beautiful animated take on the Brothers Grimm, painted in calligraphic lines, which tells the story of a miller who sells his daughter to the devil.

Okko's Inn dir. Kitarô Kôsaka. 2018, 94 min. :imdb::ICM:
After losing her parents in a car accident, Okko starts living in the countryside with her grandmother in a traditional Japanese inn and meets friendly ghosts in this heartfelt family film.

The Wolf House dir. Joaquín Cociña and Cristóbal León. 2018, 75 min. :imdb::ICM:
A stop-motion tour-de-force, The Wolf House is a dark fairy tale about a girl who seeks refuge in a house from religious fanatics.
Last edited by outdoorcats on November 11th, 2019, 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

[a LION eats GOD. Gunshots ring out. MATT turns around]
MATT: That's the guy I was telling you about.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » November 10th, 2019, 4:54 pm

All - I'm in charge of collecting ratings for the sections, so please keep a few things in mind to help make my life just a bit easier:

- Please use the English titles when noting your ratings
- Make sure you report your ratings on the 1-10 IMDB scale
- Don't edit your posts - please make a new post when you add more ratings (so I actually see them)
- If you see any errors or omissions on my data collection, please point it out to me.

If you want to see the ratings and follow along, here is the spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Teproc

Post by Teproc » November 10th, 2019, 6:27 pm

The Girl Without Hands - A grim(m) fairytale, with a unique and memorable style of animation. 7/10

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » November 10th, 2019, 8:54 pm

outdoorcats wrote:
November 10th, 2019, 2:51 am
The Wolf House dir. Joaquín Cociña and Cristóbal León. 2018, 75 min. :imdb::ICM:
A stop-motion tour-de-force, The Wolf House is a dark fairy tale about a girl who seeks refuge in a house from religious fanatics.
This links to another movie.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » November 11th, 2019, 12:18 am

Thanks for the heads up - it should be fixed now. :cheers:

[a LION eats GOD. Gunshots ring out. MATT turns around]
MATT: That's the guy I was telling you about.

beavis

Post by beavis » November 14th, 2019, 8:28 pm

1. The Wolf House - 8,5
2. Another Day of Life - 8,5
3. Okko's Inn - 8
4. The Girl Without Hands - 7,5

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » November 17th, 2019, 5:02 am

1. Another Day of Life - 9
2. The Wolf House - 8
3. Okko's Inn - 8
4. The Girl Without Hands - 7

beavis

Post by beavis » November 18th, 2019, 3:20 pm

looking at the spreadsheet, animation seems to be the section that is least watched, yet highly rated...
do people have difficulty finding the movies? do they not seem interesting? or are there a lot more ratings underway and nothing to worry about?

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » November 18th, 2019, 11:21 pm

beavis wrote:
November 18th, 2019, 3:20 pm
looking at the spreadsheet, animation seems to be the section that is least watched, yet highly rated...
do people have difficulty finding the movies? do they not seem interesting? or are there a lot more ratings underway and nothing to worry about?
In terms of the number of ratings, Latin America is the one that worries me more.

I do think there are more ratings coming, I just don't think they've been posted yet. I might be concerned this upcoming weekend. We'll see.

Personally, I'm not really a fan of animation in general, so this is not where I'm going to focus my efforts. But that's just me.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » Yesterday, 12:11 am

Yea I’ve tried to prioritize the sections that interest me the most and I’m not even sure I have time to finish those, let alone the ones I’m not too keen on (like animation). I’d love to watch all the films but just don’t have the time :(
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT