Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: 1940s (Results), Shorts (Nov 16th), 2007 (Nov 22nd), 1932 awards (Nov 24th), Knockout competition (Round 2)
Challenges: Noir, Unofficial, Korean, 2020 schedule
Film of the Week: Vuelven, December nominations (Nov 29th)
World Cup S4: Round 1 preparation (Nov 28th)
Film Festival: Main Slate, International, English-Language Independents, Documentaries, Arthouse, Animation, LGBT, Just Before Dawn (Dec 2nd)

2020 Challenges: Setting Up the Schedule

sol
Donator

2020 Challenges: Setting Up the Schedule

Post by sol » November 9th, 2019, 5:00 am

This is the thread where we look at scheduling the 2020 Challenge options that performed the best in the October poll.

These are the 20 options that performed best.Show
01. Run the Director (30 votes)
01. Sci-Fi / Fantasy (30 votes)
03. Directed by Woman (29 votes)
04. 1000<400 (25 votes)
04. Animation (25 votes)
04. Unofficial (25 votes)
04. Western (25 votes)
08. Blaxploitation/African American (23 votes)
08. Comedy (23 votes)
08. Doubing the Canon nominees (23 votes)
08. Low IMDb rating (23 votes)
08. Silent Era (23 votes)
13. 1970s (22 votes)
14. 1960s (20 votes)
14. 1980s (20 votes)
14. 1990s (20 votes)
17. 1950s (19 votes)
17. Academy Award nominees (19 votes)
17. Crime films (19 votes)
17. TSPDT + TSPDT 21st Century (19 votes)

Each will be added up our 2020 Schedule, together with the permanent options of Film Noir, Horror, Documentary and <400 Checks.

The following five options each received 18 votes and will automatically be nominated next year as a potential 2021 Challenge Option:

21. 1930s (18 votes)
21. 1940s (18 votes)
21. Criterion / MoC (18 votes)
21. LGBTIQ+/Queer (18 votes)
21. Musical (18 votes)

Results for all other options under this spoiler tag:
SpoilerShow
2000s (12 votes)
2010s (15 votes)
Action (16 votes)
Banned Films/Video Nasty (6 votes)
Coming of Age (14 votes)
Conquering the World (12 votes)
Cult/Grindhouse/Drive-In (17 votes)
Degrees of Separation (15 votes)
Double the Canon - iCM List (15 votes)
Giallo/Slasher (12 votes)
In Competition at Cannes (16 votes)
Jonathan Rosenbaum Essentials (11 votes)
Martial Arts (13 votes)
Mystery (16 votes)
Re-watch (12 votes)
Romance (9 votes)
Short Films (16 votes)
Space and Time Travel (16 votes)
Sport Movies (9 votes)
Suspense/Thriller (13 votes)
War (16 votes)

Using some more spoiler tags here to make this post less cumbersome:
Information on Country/Region ChallengesShow
This year, we chose not to vote on Challenge options for Country/Region. After some robust debate and discussion (see thread), albajos suggested that we break down the zones of the world into 24 distinct challenges, thus allowing every region in the world to visited once every two years as part of the Official Challenge schedule. This initiative from albajos subsequently received the endorsement of nine other users. Since there was some opposition to his suggestion, we have agreed to merely trial the albajos-24 system for 2020. If it is perceived to be a success, we will continue in 2021 with the countries that we have allocated for that year. If it is perceived otherwise, we always have the option to abandon things.

Nothing is written in stone at the moment, but if we give the albajos-24 system a go for a year, we can then discuss and determine its success.

2020 Countries & Regions (click here for full 2020 and 2021 table)
Africa Balkans Canada Caribbean
China/Hong Kong/Taiwan Germany/Austria/Switzerland Iberia (Spain, Portugal and surrounds) India/Pakistan/Myanmar/Bangladesh
Mexico Nordic countries Russia/USSR Southeast Asia
Other informationShow
So, it is now up to us to determine how we would like to schedule the above regions and the successful theme/genre options. Over the past couple of years there has been a push to keep forum favourite challenges in their traditional months, so I have already included a few things in the table. If we want to though, we could always shake things up. Happy to take feedback on this.

I am also happy to take feedback on making triples easier or harder to attain. From memory, the general consensus was that triples shouldn't be easy to attain, but they should not be absolutely impossible either. Or did we want them to be impossible? I can't remember. But we can certainly play around with a few things like 1970s + The Silent Era if we want to make triples unattainable.

A few suggestions that I have of my own:
  • Place 1000<400 either early in the year to have it a distance from <400 Checks or in November for the Challenge to be for the 2020 list.
  • Spread the decade challenges throughout the year rather than bunch them up together. Do we want to chronologically order them again?
  • Avoid repeating country/genre overlaps from 2019, i.e. don't place Russia with Sci-Fi/Fantasy again or Mexico with Horror again.

FIFTH DRAFT:
2020 Challenge Schedule
MonthCountry ChallengeTheme ChallengeTheme Challenge
January Balkans Sci-Fi/Fantasy 1000<400
February Africa African American/Blaxploitation Academy Award Nominees
March India/Pakistan/Myanmar/Bangladesh Crime films Directed by Women
April Nordic Countries Doubling the Canon Nominees 1950s
May Iberia (Spain, Portugal and surrounds) Western Comedy
June China/Hong Kong/Taiwan TSPDT + TSPDT 21st Century 1960s
July Canada Run the Director Low IMDb rating
August Germany/Austria/Switzerland <400 Checks 1970s
September Russia/USSR Animation Silent Era
October Southeast Asia Horror 1990s
November Mexico Film Noir Unofficial
December Caribbean Documentary 1980s

Countries/regions that still need to be placedThemes that still need to be placed
- -
Last edited by sol on November 11th, 2019, 11:06 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » November 9th, 2019, 5:14 am

Here is my middling proposal:

In 2018, we tried to make challenge synergy, so triples were easy. In 2019, we swung to the other extreme, making triples hard/impossible (Silent era-Japan-21st Century being the most obvious).

For 2020, it's meet in the middle - (to the extent we can) we make triples possible, but not easy. Like let's not pair any of the decades with Silent Era. If none exist that's fine, as long as they are theoretically possible (e.g., Iran-Western-In Competition at Cannes), rather than overwhelmingly easy (e.g., Italy-Western-Grindhouse).

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » November 9th, 2019, 5:22 am

I don't want to dominate the conversation because I happen to be awake and online when sol posted this, but here are some high-level thoughts on scheduling:

- None of the decades with "Silent era" (mentioned above) or any other decade
- Let's not pair "Run the Director" with any of the list(s) specific ones (e.g., DTC Noms, TSPDT...)
- Let's pair an interesting Country with the Horror challenge (China/HW/Taiwan would get my vote)
- If we can, let's try not to pair any challenges together that have been run together in the last couple years (e.g., Nordic Noir, which were both run in 2018)

jeroeno

Post by jeroeno » November 9th, 2019, 5:25 am

Westerns vs Easterns (China or India)
Women vs Crime
Horror vs African American

Caribbean vs Oscars? Were any of these countries ever nominated?

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » November 9th, 2019, 6:20 am

I would suggest pushing Caribbean and Mexico to late in the year because we just did both last month.

African-American during February might be a nice touch to pair with Black History Month.

As usual, I'm a big fan of doubles/triples.

Traveller

Post by Traveller » November 9th, 2019, 8:15 am

- I agree with all your points in the OP, sol. 1000<400 in the first quarter sounds good to me. I'm also for keeping the decades in order and spread them like: 1950s - January / 1960s - April / 1970s - July / 1980s - October / 1990s - December. Last year I thought they were too close by.
- Agree also with both of max' posts.
- Like also the combinations suggested by jeroeno. Except for...
- ... what blocho suggested regarding African American. February sounds good. Also add Russia to the names and put it later in the year.

That said: great work with all the planning, sol. :worship:
Last edited by Traveller on November 9th, 2019, 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
ICM
November Challenge: ImageImage
But at the bottom, the immanent philosopher sees in the entire universe only the deepest longing for absolute annihilation, and it is as if he clearly hears the call that permeates all spheres of heaven: Redemption! Redemption! Death to our life! and the comforting answer: you will all find annihilation and be redeemed!

sol
Donator

Post by sol » November 9th, 2019, 8:16 am

I'm absolutely loving jeroeno's proposal of having China/HK/Taiwan in May to coincide with Westerns for an "East vs West" month. So that's seconded from me, and if anybody else wants to third that, I'll tentatively add it to the schedule.

I also like blocho's idea of saving Mexico and the Caribbean until late in the year. We could do Mexico in September and Caribbean in November to avoiding doubling them with Horror again. Or vice versa.

We did African American/Blax in February in 2018 to indeed pair it with Black History Month. I suppose it wouldn't be too much of an issue to have it in February again since we didn't have an Official Academy Awards Challenge in 2018, so it's not like both February themes will have been run side-by-side before. Thoughts everyone?

Agreed with max about not doubling up those that have been doubled up before if possible (Nordic Noir etc).

Directed by Women and Crime Films (as suggested by jero) could be an interesting combination. There aren't many that spring to mind for doubles, but I'm sure that there would be some so that we aren't eliminating doubles altogether. What does everybody else think about this?

I'll try to give it a bit longer (close to 24 hours if I can) before I add too much to the schedule-in-progress in order that we can factor in opinions from others in other time zones. Keep the ideas coming! :thumbsup:
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

sol
Donator

Post by sol » November 9th, 2019, 8:20 am

Traveller wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 8:15 am
- I agree with all your points in the OP, sol. 1000<400 in the first quarter sounds good to me. I'm also for keeping the decades in order and spread them like: 1950s - January / 1960s - April / 1970s - July / 1980s - October / 1990s - December. Last year I thought they were too close by.
- ... what blocho suggested regarding African American. February sounds good. Also add Russia to the names and put it later in the year.

Thanks, Trav. This is a pretty massive organisation project so good to know that my efforts are appreciated.

Okay. That's another support for Westerns and China, so let's tentatively add that in. And Blax/AA in February, okay - cool.

Russia we could do in December if we still want it paired up with a Northern Hemisphere wintery month. Could also add Canada in January as another cold region/cold month challenge...
Image Image Image

sol
Donator

Post by sol » November 9th, 2019, 8:29 am

From the other thread:
sol wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 8:26 am
hurluberlu wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 8:12 am
Alright, thanks sol. I can understand why people focusing on the three official challenges would feel too busy to participate on the ICMFF on top if there is no overlap. Hence my suggestion to have it as an official challenge. But let see how it goes...
What if we placed a theme/country challenge in November that would have a potentially large overlap with the next iCMFF? Maybe Comedy or Crime?
Okay, I don't think we can do Crime in November because it would massively overlap with Noir, but how about Comedy so that there is a good chance of some 2020 iCMFF movies being eligible in November next year?
Image Image Image

72aicm
Donator

Post by 72aicm » November 9th, 2019, 9:06 am

1000<400 early next year got my vote.
sol wrote: Avoid repeating country/genre overlaps from 2019, i.e. don't place Russia with Sci-Fi/Fantasy again or Mexico with Horror again.
Agreed. Same with our 2018 challenges. No nordic noirvember please :)

Edit: I see know that this have been mentioned already. :facepalm:
Last edited by 72aicm on November 9th, 2019, 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » November 9th, 2019, 9:11 am

sol wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 8:29 am
Okay, I don't think we can do Crime in November because it would massively overlap with Noir, but how about Comedy so that there is a good chance of some 2020 iCMFF movies being eligible in November next year?
How about doing Unofficial (again) in November? There probably will be some ICMFF movies that will fit that.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » November 9th, 2019, 9:17 am

jvv wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 9:11 am
sol wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 8:29 am
How about doing Unofficial (again) in November? There probably will be some ICMFF movies that will fit that.
As there should be this year. ;) OK, I'll add that in for the moment. I'd prefer to shake things up and not having Noir and Unofficial at the same time again, but logistically with the iCMFF in mind, that makes perfect sense.
Image Image Image

72aicm
Donator

Post by 72aicm » November 9th, 2019, 9:37 am

What about 1000<400 in March together with Female Directors. There will be some doubles and possible triples, but at the same time not too many.
(+ a overlap with DtC noms in April. Not sure if that’s s good thing or not though)

sol
Donator

Post by sol » November 9th, 2019, 9:47 am

72aicm wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 9:37 am
What about 1000<400 in March together with Female Directors. There will be some doubles and possible triples, but at the same time not too many.
(+ a overlap with DtC noms in April. Not sure if that’s s good thing or not though)
I was actually thinking 1000<400 doubled up with Sci-fi/Fantasy in January. From the looks of things, only around 5-6% of the list would be doubles.

But yes - your suggestion could of course work. And it could finally entice more folks to check out Angela. But I did like jero's suggestion of partnering up Crime Films and Female Directors. Haven't run any stats on it or anything, but I think that should provide much diversity with some limited overlap?
Image Image Image

72aicm
Donator

Post by 72aicm » November 9th, 2019, 9:58 am

^ both ways work. :)

Traveller

Post by Traveller » November 9th, 2019, 10:49 am

1000<400 in January with Crime and Women combined in March got my vote as well. Though with that, the decade challenges would be kinda cramped. Leaving out September because of the Silent Era, it could be April/June/August/October/December… well I guess there would always lie a month in between. :shrug:
ICM
But at the bottom, the immanent philosopher sees in the entire universe only the deepest longing for absolute annihilation, and it is as if he clearly hears the call that permeates all spheres of heaven: Redemption! Redemption! Death to our life! and the comforting answer: you will all find annihilation and be redeemed!

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » November 9th, 2019, 11:14 am

I love these results... and I'm glad 50s is being run again since I missed it this year.
Lots of good ideas being thrown around about the schedule as well. I support all of these-

-spreading out the decades with at least a month or two in between them
-making doubles/triples moderately easy, but maybe occasionally more difficult to achieve
-avoid pairing challenges that were recently paired in last 2 years
-I vote for Mexico in November since it will overlap with Día de Muertos

I also like the West vs East and Women vs Crime ideas.
Thanks for organizing all of this again, sol. :thumbsup:

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » November 9th, 2019, 11:27 am

Traveller wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 8:15 am

I like this schedule. Or at least keep them spread out over the year, they were indeed to concentrated this year. For what’s worth the 1950s poll will be held in May (or April) and the 60s in October, so will be best if those decades would be hold before that.

I also think it would be best to do 1000<400 early next year. Doubling it with Women Directors would be better I think than with the DtCN, cause the later would have much overlap. On the other hand the former would mean two obscure movies challenges in succeeding months.
I really would like for personal reasons if the run the directors poll was run at the start of the year. I can’t wait for that one and have several box sets and such lined up for that. I wouldn’t double that one with Women Directors since people will probably already watch multiple films from the same women director for that.

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » November 9th, 2019, 11:39 am

TSPDT + TSPDT 21st Century could be done in May or June, so it’s just before or during the nominations for our 2010s poll. Other idea is to do them just after those lists been update, I think TSPDT is updated in January and 21st in February.

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » November 9th, 2019, 11:57 am

On a different note I’m kind of disappointed that the same broad challenges have been chosen again. I wonder now again if we shouldn’t just make some of them (f.e. Western, Sci-fi, Silents) permanent also, since they are chosen every time anyhow. But that’s a discussion we can postpone for now.

Also why only try out the 2 year rotating system for countries for only one year? That’s like abandoning an experiment half way. We should at least try it out one full cycle to me. I remember that most of the opposition came from people who want France (and Japan) to be annual, and those won’t be happy with the 2020 line-up anyway.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » November 9th, 2019, 12:52 pm

Lots to reply to here. In brief - will update the OP in a moment and:

1. Will add 1000<400 to January and Crime Films to March, as suggested
2. Will spread out the decade challenges to see what it looks like, as suggested
3. Will add Mexico to November, as suggested

And:
Lonewolf2003 wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 11:57 am
why only try out the 2 year rotating system for countries for only one year? That’s like abandoning an experiment half way. We should at least try it out one full cycle to me. I remember that most of the opposition came from people who want France (and Japan) to be annual, and those won’t be happy with the 2020 line-up anyway.
I would personally prefer for us to experiment with the 2 year rotating system for the entire two years, however, discussing how it is going in September next year before green-lighting the 2021 schedule won't hurt. I believe that it will also help to keep everyone involved in the process, rather than neglecting the perspectives of those out there who feel that running every second French and Japanese Challenge in an Unofficial capacity is not a good way forward.
Image Image Image

sol
Donator

Post by sol » November 9th, 2019, 1:04 pm

Okay. I also added Lonewolf's suggestion of TSPDT to June for the moment.

Of the leftovers, I'm thinking maybe:

Western vs Animation
Silent Era vs Low IMDb Rating
Comedy vs Run the Director

?

I am cautious though about placing so much into the schedule at this early point in time. This thread has only been live for 8 hours. I think it's important to get everyone's perspective from each time zone before trying to nail too much in place. Do keep the suggestions coming though.
Image Image Image

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » November 9th, 2019, 1:35 pm

A few thoughts of mine:
-Canada and Animation might be good ones to pair up with Directed By Women (although I know there's already a couple people pushing for Women to be paired with Crime). While there are certain a decent amount of doubles, there are a few but not many triples, which from what I gather from sol is kinda what we are trying to go for (meaning triples should be difficult but not impossible).
-I'd suggest Run the Director paired with one of the decades in the June/July time frame. Then it doesn't overlap with some of the other more popular challenges like DTC, Horror, Noir, etc.(btw, is it too early to volunteer to host Run the Director? I feel obligated since it was my suggestion :) ).
-India could be an interesting one to pair with Horror. As long as I can remember, they've never been paired together and India has always been a challenging country for me to separate the wheat from the chaff. So it'd be a good opportunity to force me to face the country's tropes head on. Maybe have the 90's paired with it? The 80s would seem to be overkill to pair with horror and any earlier and the options for triples go down to nearly zero.
-The chart currently has China and Western paired. Not sure that'd be ideal since whatever the third challenge would end up being would almost certainly push the triple possibilities down to next to nothing given there are very few Chinese films considered westerns to begin with (The Good The Bad The Weird, Millionaire Express...maybe a couple others?). Maybe Western might be good with Iberia and 70s since there were a handful of Spanish Spaghetti westerns during this area, meeting the triple criteria of a few but not impossible.
-Also can we not put TSPDT and Horror together again? This has been done multiple times and annoys me every time since both are quite popular. The way I kind of look at these challenges is that you have a very popular broad challenge and then a couple of additional challenges that let you dig deeper if you so choose. Putting two big popular ones with little overlap goes against this synergy. How about TSPDT in September instead? Pairing it with silent era seems like a good fit. Good selection but not too many. Just have to be careful with what country to pair it with so triples don't go down to zero.
-1000<400 seems like it's going to be one of the trickier ones to schedule actually since you probably don't want it at the same time or very close to DTC or <400 challenges. Maybe have it paired with Documentary?

Anyway, I've done enough rambling. Feel free to totally disregard all of this.

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » November 9th, 2019, 1:40 pm

sol wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 1:04 pm
Okay. I also added Lonewolf's suggestion of TSPDT to June for the moment.

Of the leftovers, I'm thinking maybe:

Western vs Animation
Silent Era vs Low IMDb Rating
Comedy vs Run the Director

?

I am cautious though about placing so much into the schedule at this early point in time. This thread has only been live for 8 hours. I think it's important to get everyone's perspective from each time zone before trying to nail too much in place. Do keep the suggestions coming though.
Honestly I'm not too keen on Western and Animation together. There's almost no overlap other than the Lucky Luke movies and Italy isn't one of the country challenges which would push the triples down to zero.

The other two could be interesting though.

albajos

Post by albajos » November 9th, 2019, 1:40 pm

sol wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 1:04 pm

?
I posted my combinations in the other thread yesterday

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » November 9th, 2019, 1:49 pm

I'm almost thinking if you want to avoid making triples impossible you'd have to start with the countries and look at what pairs with those most easily since some of them are gonna take a lot of the other combinations down to no options for triples. Looking especially at the Caribbean, Balkans and Africa which has very few to no options for some of the challenges like Animation or Westerns (and yes, I know the Balkans had some westerns made in the 60s but that just reinforces my point that unless 60s is also scheduled at the same time, then triples are pretty much impossible on that one too).

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » November 9th, 2019, 1:53 pm

i actually like albajos' suggestion of Run the Director and Low IMDB Rating. It could become unofficially the Cult Grindhouse challenge since that one didn't make it in again. Who doesn't want to do some Roger Corman and Doris Wishman marathons?

sol
Donator

Post by sol » November 9th, 2019, 2:21 pm

flavo5000 wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 1:49 pm
I'm almost thinking if you want to avoid making triples impossible ...
I think it's unavoidable that some triples will be impossible no matter what we do. As max stated above:

In 2018, we tried to make challenge synergy, so triples were easy. In 2019, we swung to the other extreme, making triples hard/impossible (Silent era-Japan-21st Century being the most obvious).

For 2020, it's meet in the middle - (to the extent we can) we make triples possible, but not easy. Like let's not pair any of the decades with Silent Era. If none exist that's fine, as long as they are theoretically possible (e.g., Iran-Western-In Competition at Cannes), rather than overwhelmingly easy (e.g., Italy-Western-Grindhouse).

So we don't need to have triples every month. We just should not be intentionally planning it in order to make triples impossible.
Image Image Image

sol
Donator

Post by sol » November 9th, 2019, 2:28 pm

Not able to respond to everything here right now, but in brief:
flavo5000 wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 1:35 pm
-I'd suggest Run the Director paired with one of the decades in the June/July time frame. Then it doesn't overlap with some of the other more popular challenges like DTC, Horror, Noir, etc.(btw, is it too early to volunteer to host Run the Director? I feel obligated since it was my suggestion :) ).
That's doable. There are currently blank spots in which RTD and Low IMDb Rating could be paired against each other in July.

And yes - please volunteer because I don't want to run it myself tehe though I will of course participate.
flavo5000 wrote:
The 80s would seem to be overkill to pair with horror
Agreed, but there seems to be a push here to have the decades in chronological order. We don't have to do this though. We could mix the order of the decades up.
flavo5000 wrote:
Also can we not put TSPDT and Horror together again?
We have no plans to do so. :) Currently Horror and the 80s are paired.
Image Image Image

jeroeno

Post by jeroeno » November 9th, 2019, 4:30 pm

Run the Director in May please. Westerns, Johnny To, Wong Kar Wai , Zhang Yimou Stephen Chow, Shaw Brothers..... . And let's pair Silents with comedy. Should be fun

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » November 9th, 2019, 4:41 pm

sol wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 2:28 pm
… Agreed, but there seems to be a push here to have the decades in chronological order. We don't have to do this though. We could mix the order of the decades up.
why don't you flip 80s and 90s (or not have a decade in Oct)? That way 90s is in Oct (and fewer great mainstream horror films per all the debates we used to have back on the horror board) . That said I am pretty much okay with any decision made to suit the greater good. I'll adapt somehow, lol.

albajos

Post by albajos » November 9th, 2019, 5:04 pm

jeroeno wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 4:30 pm
Run the Director in May please. Westerns, Johnny To, Wong Kar Wai , Zhang Yimou Stephen Chow, Shaw Brothers..... . And let's pair Silents with comedy. Should be fun
That's a big no from. Way too many directors that stayed in Westerns their whole career. Combing these two not let you explore directors that went outside their comfort zone.
But haveing two themes that is basically limitless together simply doesn't work. (Western 8,604 features 25K shorts, RTD any director with 3+ movies, probably 150 000 eligible (1/3 off all features, and this is probably underestimated))

Nobody is stopping you from watching movies from those directors during Western regardless.

Traveller

Post by Traveller » November 9th, 2019, 5:45 pm

peeptoad wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 4:41 pm
sol wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 2:28 pm
… Agreed, but there seems to be a push here to have the decades in chronological order. We don't have to do this though. We could mix the order of the decades up.
why don't you flip 80s and 90s (or not have a decade in Oct)? That way 90s is in Oct (and fewer great mainstream horror films per all the debates we used to have back on the horror board) . That said I am pretty much okay with any decision made to suit the greater good. I'll adapt somehow, lol.
Would be fine with me.
The decades in chronological order was merely a first and logical starting point - if some switching needs to be done to fit everyone's views, then that should be prioritized. We just need to keep the polls as mentioned by Lonewolf in mind.

Regarding the triples: does every month has to have triples, though? I'm not someone who participates in this kind of challenge, so please excuse my question. From how I understood max, I thought that the possibility of gaining triples as kind of middle ground between the two years prior was meant as a whole for the year.

I'm throwing Comedy in the room for the currently vacant July. Something light for the warmer period, maybe in combination with Iberia (Spain, Portugal and surrounds).

Btw, scratch my comment about Russia. Somehow I thought it was part of July this year, but we obviously held it in January. :shrug:
ICM

psychotronicbeatnik
Donator

Post by psychotronicbeatnik » November 9th, 2019, 6:40 pm

sol wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 5:00 am

2020 Challenge Schedule: A Work in Progress
MonthCountry ChallengeTheme ChallengeTheme Challenge
January Sci-Fi/Fantasy 1000<400
February African American/Blaxploitation Academy Award Nominees
March Crime films Directed by Women
April Doubling the Canon Nominees 1950s
May China/Hong Kong/Taiwan Western
June TSPDT + TSPDT 21st Century 1960s
July
August <400 Checks 1970s
September Silent Era
October Horror 1980s
November Mexico Film Noir Unofficial
December Documentary 1990s

Countries/regions that still need to be placedThemes that still need to be placed
Africa
Balkans
Canada
Caribbean
Germany/Austria/Switzerland
Iberia (Spain, Portugal and surrounds)
India/Pakistan/Myanmar/Bangladesh
Nordic countries
Russia/USSR
Southeast Asia
Run the Director
Animation
Comedy
Low IMDb rating
I'm really happy with the way that this shook out and find it amazing that we had 20 clear choices without needing a tie-breaker vote. Sol must be happy about that too, and hopefully it makes setting this up easier for him.

I like triples and doubles and find going for them an interesting challenge in itself so I don't see the need to limit them. I favor Max's suggestion of perhaps pursuing a middle ground, but it was also great fun in 2018 to maximize my challenge viewings with triples during Italy/Western/Cult and a few other months.

I think it is a good idea to run the decade challenges a few months apart and keep them chronological. I favor the chronological arrangement because it allows you to watch a director or a genre of film from decade to decade and follow their development.

The arrangement that is already penciled in above looks great to me. One unfortunate development that I potentially see occurring is that African American may always be opposite Academy Awards but I also think it is important to set challenges in months where they fit events such as Black History month or International Women's Month.

Of the unscheduled challenges I favor having Run the Director in the same month as Low-Rated Turkeys. July looks like the fit for that. I would suggest Animation being placed opposite Silent Era - doubles are possible but they will mainly be confined to shorts, and Comedy was opposite Silent in 2018. Let the countries shake out however they fall - a little bit of randomness may be refreshing. I do favor keeping to albajo's suggestion for country rotation for two years before we consider changing it.

Kudos to sol again for undertaking this massive task and handling it so well. :cheers:

72aicm
Donator

Post by 72aicm » November 9th, 2019, 6:55 pm

Nordic should be held in one of the winter months. Perhaps December. After all, the Santa is from here you know.

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » November 9th, 2019, 8:49 pm

jeroeno wrote:
Silent with Comedy and pair it with either German or Russian is a nice idea. Or maybe Animation-Silent-German/Russia.

I think we should keep from pairing Comedy with Animation, since firstly they are both pure broad genres and secondly there’s way too much overlap.

How set are we on the China-Western duo, cause another nice combo could be Iberian-Western-low IMDb rating.

RTD with animation might give people the incentive to dive into some none American or Japanese animation directors. Maybe China or Russia would go well with that.

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » November 9th, 2019, 9:54 pm

Lonewolf2003 wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 8:49 pm
jeroeno wrote:
Silent with Comedy and pair it with either German or Russian is a nice idea. Or maybe Animation-Silent-German/Russia.

I think we should keep from pairing Comedy with Animation, since firstly they are both pure broad genres and secondly there’s way too much overlap.

How set are we on the China-Western duo, cause another nice combo could be Iberian-Western-low IMDb rating.

RTD with animation might give people the incentive to dive into some none American or Japanese animation directors. Maybe China or Russia would go well with that.

Like I said in my earlier post, I think Iberia and western go pretty well together. I also second not pairing comedy and animation (or comedy and silent since that was the last thing comedy was paired with and id like to see things mixed up a little).

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » November 9th, 2019, 10:03 pm

albajos wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 5:04 pm
jeroeno wrote:
That's a big no from. Way too many directors that stayed in Westerns their whole career. Combing these two not let you explore directors that went outside their comfort zone.
But haveing two themes that is basically limitless together simply doesn't work. (Western 8,604 features 25K shorts, RTD any director with 3+ movies, probably 150 000 eligible (1/3 off all features, and this is probably underestimated))

Nobody is stopping you from watching movies from those directors during Western regardless.
Agree. Im not a fan of RTD or China paired with western honestly.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » November 10th, 2019, 12:27 am

Okay; now is where things start to get messy. ;)

Just did a quick count and I am still seeing more support for Westerns+China than Westerns+Iberia.

There seems to be mostly support for flipping the 80s and 90s, so I'll do that.

At least two people are against RTD+Western. At least three users seem in favour of RTD+Low IMDb Rating. Westerns have also been suggested for LIR.

We won't pair Comedy and Silents in order to avoid repeating the 2018 Schedule. Same for Comedy and Germany.

Comedy and Animation have been suggested as potential pairs for Russia.

Nordic has been suggested for December (wintery Northern Hemisphere). Could also place the wintery Canada in January -- or could place Canada in July to coincide with Canada Day.

Russia could go in July if we aren't placing Canada there, maybe paired with one of the suggestions to go alongside it. Either Comedy OR Animation. Agreed that these two "genres" shouldn't be next to each other.

Okay. I think that's a summary of the feedback on this thread while I was sleeping. I'll try to plug some of that in and will get back to you all shortly...
Image Image Image

sol
Donator

Post by sol » November 10th, 2019, 12:37 am

psychotronicbeatnik wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 6:40 pm
I'm really happy with the way that this shook out and find it amazing that we had 20 clear choices without needing a tie-breaker vote. Sol must be happy about that too, and hopefully it makes setting this up easier for him.
Oh yeah, that does make things a lot easier and we have 72a to thank for that. He announced the few tiebreakers when there was 36 hours left in the poll and whoever voted last clearly took the information on board and voted for exactly enough of the 18-vote options in order to avoid any ties. To be honest, I was pretty disappointed that LGBTIQ ended up missing out by a single vote due to this (I never concentrated enough on this Challenge last time since it was paired with Horror) but that's the way the cookie crumbles.
I think it is a good idea to run the decade challenges a few months apart and keep them chronological. I favor the chronological arrangement because it allows you to watch a director or a genre of film from decade to decade and follow their development.
Agreed on the chronology, but I don't think there is any way to do that AND keep them at least two months apart from each other. But that's what happens when so many decade end up getting the green light (and I like the decade ones, so not complaining by the way).
Kudos to sol again for undertaking this massive task and handling it so well.
Thanks -- though the madness isn't over yet and I might still crack under pressure. :unsure: ;)
Image Image Image