Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: 2007 (Results), 2017 awards (Dec 21st), 1955 (Dec 27th), Directors (Dec 31st), Underrated (Jan 3rd), Knockout competition (Round 5)
Challenges: Documentary, Travel the World, Italy
Film of the Week: Le septième juré, December nominations (Dec 27th)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1A: Canada vs England vs Estonia vs Iran (Dec 29th)

iCMFF19 - International

AB537

Re: iCMFF19 - International

Post by AB537 » December 2nd, 2019, 9:52 pm

Latin America:

El ciudadano ilustre - The Distinguished Citizen: 7.5/10 ... This has been on my list for a while, and didn't disappoint. I also saw Bjorn Runge's The Wife (2017) recently, which also covers the topic of recognizing a Nobel laureate in literature. While the two films are very different in style, tone and content, they both have interesting things to say about art, literature and fame, and are both well worth watching.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » December 2nd, 2019, 10:17 pm

3/4 9.5
Montparnasse Bienvenue 9
On Body and Soul 9
Quién te cantará 8
An Elephant Sitting Still 10
El Amparo 7

[a LION eats GOD. Gunshots ring out. MATT turns around]
MATT: That's the guy I was telling you about.

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » December 2nd, 2019, 11:09 pm

'Angels Wear White' - 8/10
I was engrossed by the slow, restrained unfolding and the sense of the unspoken and trapped silence being strained against.

'Foxtrot' - 8/10
I loved the tripartite structure. The sense of shock conveyed by Lior Ashkenazi in the opening section is incredibly gripping. The satirical elements of the second section have a devastating mix of humour and darkness. The close to this triptych with its parental discussion is reflective and possessing a pathos that anchors the allegory of the film in a considered, human context. A thoughtful, scathing and beautifully assembled film that, I'm sure, will reward further viewing and consideration.
That's all, folks!

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » December 4th, 2019, 11:12 pm

xian, you are the only one who completed the Latin American section, your choice is the winner.

Europe - beavis and xian, can you agree on On Body and Soul to be the winner?

Asia - beavis/Gloede/xian, can you agree on An Elephant Sitting Still?

[a LION eats GOD. Gunshots ring out. MATT turns around]
MATT: That's the guy I was telling you about.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » December 4th, 2019, 11:57 pm

outdoorcats wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 11:12 pm

The data support this decision. :thumbsup:

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » December 5th, 2019, 2:25 am

outdoorcats wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 11:12 pm
xian, you are the only one who completed the Latin American section, your choice is the winner.

egads, what power and responsibility! :o While I know a lot of folks would consider Endless Poetry a clear favorite, and like it I did, my preference was for The Distinguished Citizen. It felt original and interesting - the take on 'fame', people's reactions, and how the famous author dealt with the situations presented made a worthwhile tale. It felt real, plausible, and relevant to a time when there are so many 'famous' people from queens to stars to influencers to politicians. But that's my take and why I come to that conclusion out of three better than average films.

I won't argue on the other two, but thought that Laetitia Dosch was simply fantastic and quite believable in Montparnasse Bienvenüe. While this would probably be my first choice in the Euro group, I also think On Body and Soul was very strong (and certainly more popular), so it makes sense as the winner.

An Elephant Sitting is pretty amazing though I thought three of the films (excluding Marlina) were all strong and could support any of them getting the prize.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » December 5th, 2019, 8:20 pm

All good with Elephant.