Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (RESULTS)
Polls: 1994 (Oct 20th), 1997 awards (Oct 24th), 1940s (Oct 26th), Shorts (Nov 16th), Knockout competition (Round 2)
Challenges: Horror, TSPDT, Latin America + Caribbean, 2020 schedule
Film of the Week: Finis terrae, November nominations (Nov 1st)
World Cup S4: Manager sign-up

SWAP: Trouble Every Day (2001, Claire Denis)

Carmel1379
Donator

SWAP: Trouble Every Day (2001, Claire Denis)

Post by Carmel1379 » October 10th, 2019, 11:33 pm

spoilers

One thing I've come to appreciate is how sparse the dialogue is, and when there is some, it's usually muffled and timid-like, swimming in silence. With fewer words one can soak in and appreciate all the little floating sounds, like hands stroking the bed linen, jerking door handles, feeling the texture of water, or undressing. There's also the movement of cars outside buildings, moments of indecision, the breathing and moaning of bodies. There are cries of pain too.

People will read the immersive soundscape and meagre talking as indicative of the characters' loneliness, alienation, social exclusion, and inner emptiness, or at least secrets preventing them from having straight-forward face-to-face conversations with each other. Which is fair to one extent, but on the other hand the awareness that these are 'just' the director's stylistic-atmospheric choices was annoyingly rather recurrent for me. Denis' cinematic mode of emphases on gestures, frothing bodies, attentive stares, or clouded looks seems like it should be a naturalistic style, but simultaneously there's something perturbingly unnatural about it, maybe even forced. Superficial, dealing with surfaces. Things paltry and smothered.

But yes, we do have Shane's clinging wife who for the most part lacks a voice that'd enable her to express her own desires or concerns. But maybe there's no need for those, maybe she is perfectly content with her husband and with the state of their honeymoon. No troubles there, maybe only that escaping scarf or odd French pronunciation, but he's got money and she can mumblingly practice in bed while her husband's gone somewhere. Like jerking off in the bathroom, which she does get upset about, but not too much to instigate an argument, and next time she seems him she does embrace him again anyway. It's like the wife's telepathically acquiescent to him, the bite mark on her shoulder could indicate a mark of subservience and perhaps even acceptance of her husband's dark side (she probably does notice the blood dripping down the shower door).

After all, we don't know what strange powers beguiling monsters possess. The blood lusting French woman can make her enchanted prey walk right up to the plank-barred door, make it do whatever she pleases. Shane isn't quite on her level; could it be -- and yes, this insight was extremely difficult to glean -- shame temporarily binding his lusts? Doc promised his wife he'd never hurt her (despite eternal (thank you title) intrusive thoughts / fantasies nudging him to do the opposite), but eventually the hotelkeeping girl wasn't lucky enough to elude an onslaught. We don't know if that was his first victim or not, but who cares.

There's a lot to appreciate in how vague the film initially is, how it presents us a collage of fragments of different characters' storylines/lives, intersecting and diverging as the film goes on, but once Shane is definitively shown as being "the same" as Béatrice Dalle's character, there was nothing really holding my attention anymore (and forget about this being a visceral experience for me). There's an extent to which non-specificity allows for mystery and wonder to flourish, but in this case it's a shut door, a thought dampener and dissuader. ((I might add I've coincidentally just happened to finish Bakker's novel 'Neuropath' today -- which also heavily deals with relationships, psychopathy, and neuroscience (hence seeing a brain being cut within 'Trouble Every Day' was pretty cool) -- and that has pages upon pages of characters explaining the shit out of situations, behaviour, and philosophical outgrowths, so very much contrary to this movie, but that nonetheless felt way more enigmatic and resonant.))

Well, maybe there's nothing to think. The ripples in the river will continue to waver. And the river is filled with blood.

(2nd viewing) 5/10
Last edited by Carmel1379 on October 11th, 2019, 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
Close the world. ʇxǝu ǝɥʇ uǝdO.
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » October 11th, 2019, 3:57 pm

love every day
seeking it
in the other
beastly need
from the other
be my beast

nervous system study
got yourself to blame
make it go away
spread it around

raging inside
silent scream
bite a nail
pull a hair
steal a thing
give me cigarette

pain, confusion, libido
worsening conditions
in the forest of the brain
fight zone's broadening

brutal dreamer,
meet beast dreamer -
devour

dreamer,
meet beast -
devour

beast,
meet beast -
got a light?

shame, where are you?

don't share a ring
share your blood
pass it on
let's be sick together

keeps coming back
trouble every day

Last edited by Perception de Ambiguity on October 11th, 2019, 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dream realityImage
LETTERBOXD | MUBI | IMDb | tumblr.

Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » October 11th, 2019, 4:12 pm

You seem to be into conversation lately. Expression. The possibility of making oneself understood if only one was eloquent enough, talkative enough. Something worth of introspection, maybe.
And/or maybe a good time to (re)watch some Bergmans, his characters usually are hypereloquent in expressing any and all matters of the heart, talking it all out and it still remaining unresolved.
dream realityImage

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » October 11th, 2019, 5:36 pm

Interesting, tell me more. . . .

Your suggestion of (re)watching some Bergmans must've already planted itself within my experienced past and bootstrapped the desire: a few nights ago I got 'Hour of the Wolf' and 'The Serpent's Egg' prepared. I haven't seen the latter yet, but the DVD back cover descriptions sound sufficiently horror-y. I also have 'Aus Dem Leben Der Marionetten' downloaded, but I'm not sure if that one would count for the challenge.
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
Close the world. ʇxǝu ǝɥʇ uǝdO.
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » October 11th, 2019, 6:02 pm

Depression (economic, personal, or otherwise) is disconcerting, isn't it?

Well, if you want to count it, who's gonna stop you? Image
dream realityImage