Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Benelux (Results), 1944 awards (Sep 23rd), 1964 (Sep 28th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Silent Era, 21st Century, Japan
Film of the Week: Reindeerspotting - pako Joulumaasta, October nominations (Sep 27th)

The Guardian 21st century list

Coryn

The Guardian 21st century list

Post by Coryn » September 13th, 2019, 6:14 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/s ... hac#img-27

Just seen above link to the guardians list. Seems like an interesting list (maybe to adopt even?)
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » September 14th, 2019, 12:08 am

Interesting is one word for it. The Souvenir is the highest 2019 film? It looks like An Education but with even bigger twats.

cinewest

Post by cinewest » Yesterday, 8:48 am

Not sure why various publications are jumping the gun and creating lists for the end of the decade (or first 20 years, in this case) without waiting for the rest of the 2019 films to show up.

Many of those won't even get a real release (theatrical or dvd), or be made available to the vast majority of filmgoers, including most critics, until some time in 2020, so any such list is premature.

I do take a look at the Guardian from time to time, though I find my own taste does;t really jibe with most critics on board, there, and their list (which is British centric, among other things) reflects this dissonance (When it comes to British film publications, there is none better than Sight & Sound).

I have seen roughly 90% of their top 50, and about 70% of the rest, but a great many (beyond certain obvious inclusions) wouldn't even come close to making my list of the most outstanding films.

Working my way down from #100, the first one that catches my eye is my favorite from Roy Andersson, You The Living. The two British films (one of which is old-fashioned hollywood style historical costume action), I wouldn't really consider, and another is a somewhat typical american indie about relationship dysfunction. Not a big fan of Michael Moore's filmmaking (he's kind of a Rush Limbaugh or Fox News editorialist from the left), either. Nor am I a fan of the superhero genre, no matter how revisionist. As for Hollywood style war dramas, I suppose the Hurt Locke is among the better ones, but does it really stand out as something special?

Among the next ten, Gomorrah, Burning, and Stories We Tell all stand out from the rest for me, though Requiem for a Dream also had an impact. I read No Country For Old Men before I saw the movie, and thought it was a very good adaptation, despite the miscasting of Javier Bardem, and miscues in tone toward the end. Once again, I saw nothing outstanding in the British Indies mentioned in this group.

Though I liked a few among their next ten, nothing really wowed me, and I thought Ocean's 11 was rather typical hollywood junk.

Turning to those in the 60's, Dogtooth and Waiting for Happiness are the only two to really jump out at me. This is especially true when you consider that a top 100 basically lists the top 5 films from every year, which even some of the ones I approve of wouldn't be for me.

Of those in the 50's, Russian Ark and Amores Perros are the two that would be on my list, though I guess one could argue that Crouching Tiger was seminal as a crossover martial arts hit. I actually thought Andrea Arnold's take on Wuthering Heights (among various others) was interesting (and Social Network very topical) but surely not a top 100 film of the last 20 years.

I'll dive into the top 50 a little later, when time allows....

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » Yesterday, 11:28 am

cinewest wrote:
Yesterday, 8:48 am
Not sure why various publications are jumping the gun and creating lists for the end of the decade (or first 20 years, in this case) without waiting for the rest of the 2019 films to show up.
Being "first" is important. And by the time the decade is finally over, people will have had enough of all these recap lists.
You see it with the EOY lists too. They start is november now, because if you wait til January people just don't care anymore. It's annoying.

zuma
Donator

Post by zuma » Yesterday, 1:01 pm

Pretty bad list. I personally liked the indiewire one better.

Looking forward to other, more respected, publications in the coming months.

cinewest

Post by cinewest » Today, 2:27 pm

Here's the indiewire list for the 2010's: https://www.indiewire.com/gallery/best- ... 0s-decade/

Fairly similar, if you ask me, The biggest difference, to me, is that one covers 10 years and the other, 20