Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Benelux (Results), 1944 awards (Sep 23rd), 1964 (Sep 28th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Silent Era, 21st Century, Japan
Film of the Week: Reindeerspotting - pako Joulumaasta, October nominations (Sep 27th)

2020 Challenge Ideas: Discussion Thread

sol
Donator

Post by sol » September 7th, 2019, 3:07 am

Before I set up polls in October to vote on 2020 Challenge options, this thread will be open until October 2 for you to put any suggestions forward.

NEW: - This year, I would like participants to limit themselves to three new challenge suggestions. While I don't like to place a cap on creativity, we were very much swarmed by the extensive number of suggestions that participants last year put forward. By capping it at three, it is my hope that participants will carefully choose ideas with lots of potential and which are likely to receive solid support.

NOTE: This thread is not a poll, but rather a discussion thread about poll options.

A couple of discussion points for those who missed it beforeShow
MORE NEW INFO (as of 08/09/19): - There are currently two options on the table (based on suggestions from others) that I would like feedback on:

Change things around so that there are 12 Country/Region and 24 Anything Else Challenges

This would solve the whole genre/theme blur issue and would allow more themes into the schedule, which would seem to be a good thing since there are always so many theme suggestions to navigate through each year.

Change the polling system so that we vote for everything in a single poll, rather than separating Repeat and 'New in 2020' options

Pro: We don't have to repeat a certain number of 2019 challenges if we don't want to.

Con: We might end up voting for most of the same options as in 2019, which would mean less variety.

This is the current schedule that I am working on prior to the 2020 Challenge Series beginning:

(placed under spoiler tags to avoid clogging up the thread)Show
September 1 - open a poll to decide whether or not to make permanent the two Challenges that received over 40 votes in last year's poll (see thread)

September 7 - open a discussion thread for 2020 Challenge ideas

September 7 - open a discussion thread to determine regions of the world for the Country/Region Challenges prior to voting (see thread)

October 2 - open preliminary polls to see which Challenge ideas will make it to the final polls

October 9 - open six one polls to vote on the 2020 Challenges

November 9 - open a thread to discuss scheduling for successful Challenge ideas

December 1 - open a thread to discuss Challenge rules and feedback

NEW: - We have currently agree to merge the Genre/Decade and Theme categories together and place them into a single poll in which we will vote on 20 options for 2020 in addition to the four permanent challenges. The single poll will be initiated on October 9.

In order to avoid overcrowding the single poll, we will have three or four preliminary polls (run from October 2 to October 9) in which we will vote on which options will make into the October 9 poll.

The following Challenges are currently permanent and will placed in the 2020 schedule without being voted on:

<400 Checks (permanent)
Horror (permanent)
Noir (permanent)
Documentary (permanent)

All non-permanent 2019 Theme/Genre/Decade Challenge options will be automatically be placed in the October 9 poll. These are:

Western
Sci-Fi/Fantasy
War
Suspense/Thriller
Mystery
Romance
Directed by Women
Silent Era
Unofficial
2000s
2010s
1930s
1940s
1950s
Low IMDb Rating
They Shoot Pictures + TSP 21st Century
Academy Award nominees
Jonathan Rosenbaum Essentials
Conquering the World
Doubling the Canon nominees
Banned Films/Video Nasty
In Competition at Cannes

I have auto-nominated all Challenge options that received 14+ votes last year (but didn't make the cut). These will be placed in the October 2 preliminary polls:

Musical
Biopic
Crime
Animation
Comedy
Action
Coming of Age
Space & Time Travel
Doubling the Canon
Cult/Grindhouse/Drive-In
One film from each year
1960s
1970s
1980s
Birth Year
Criterion/Masters of Cinema
UNESCO Memory List
1967-79 New Hollywood
Samurai
Degrees of Separation
Blaxploitation/African American
One film from each iCM List
LGBTIQ+/Queer

The following options have been suggested by forum users on this thread. These will also be placed in the October 2 preliminary polls:

Prison (suggested by blocho)
Transit (suggested by blocho)
Zombie (suggested by Lonewolf)
Giallo/Slasher (suggested by Lonewolf)
Christmas/New Year's Movies (suggested by sol)
Re-watch (suggested by sol)
Counterculture films (suggested by peeptoad)
Forum Lists (suggested by 72allinncallme)
1000<400 (suggested by 72allinncallme)
Minority Narratives (suggested by albajos)
Shorts (suggested by albajos)
Martial Arts (suggested by Lonewolf)
Immigrant Experience (suggested by maxwell)
Parodies/Remakes (suggested by maxwell)
Labor movement/workers' rights (suggested by blocho)
1990s (suggested by jeroeno)
2020 Movies (suggested by Coryn)
Stand-Up/Live Performance (suggested by flavo)
Indigenous Narratives (suggested by maxwell)
Spirituality/Religion (suggested by Roger)
Independent Cinema (suggested by Roger)
Run the Director (suggested by flavo)
Single Critic Official Lists (suggested by albajos)
Sport Movies (suggested by jeroeno)
Disabilities (suggested by 3eyes)
Royalty (suggested by Kublai Khan)
Starring children (suggested by Kublai Khan)
Based on a novel (suggested by Kublai Khan)
String of movie titles (suggested by 72allinncallme)
Historical Non-Fiction (suggested by Coryn)
French Language Cinema (freebie)

So...

What other ideas would you like to see voted on next year?
Last edited by sol on September 19th, 2019, 10:34 am, edited 15 times in total.
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » September 7th, 2019, 11:38 am

sol wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 3:07 am
Counterculture films (some examples):
hippie/60s-70s https://www.imdb.com/list/ls054767514/
antiwar http://www.tasteofcinema.com/2015/20-gr ... your-time/
Beat generation https://www.beatdom.com/the-beat-genera ... n-on-film/
Romanticism e.g. https://mubi.com/lists/romanticism
Bohemianism, French and neo https://www.allmovie.com/characteristic ... life-d1428

72allinncallme
Donator

Post by 72allinncallme » September 7th, 2019, 11:56 am

If I understand you correct sol, three of this years genre/decade challenges will be held again next year? When was that decided? Same with the themes.

Or do they just get nominated to the final poll? :shrug:

I think forum lists should be added to the «Non-2019 theme Challenges».

And add the 1000<400 to the theme challenges as well :)

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » September 7th, 2019, 12:58 pm

I've never been happy with decade challenges eating into genres. And if 3 of the genres are locked in, we should limit ourselves to 3 or 4 decades challenges.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

albajos

Post by albajos » September 7th, 2019, 1:20 pm

expand to minority stories. So mexican american and/or chinese american director stories etc etc get a challenge
Blacksplotation might be big enough in itself, but the other minorities surely aren't

And since we are a global forum. Minority stories would also include natives all over the world. As aboriginals, sami etc.

Maybe we can have one with Blacksplotation and one with Global minorities (title pending)

Christmas movies

expand to Holiday movies

and
shorts
TV

also the Q in LGBTIQ stands for Queer, not really neccessary to write it twice.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » September 7th, 2019, 3:06 pm

Two ideas:

Prison movies

Transit movies (movies primarily set on planes, trains, buses, submarines, trucks, boats, etc.)

sol
Donator

Post by sol » September 7th, 2019, 4:14 pm

peeptoad wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 11:38 am
sol wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 3:07 am
Counterculture films (some examples):
Will add this.
72allinncallme wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 11:56 am
If I understand you correct sol, three of this years genre/decade challenges will be held again next year? When was that decided? Same with the themes.
I probably should have published the results of the recent poll, but it was pretty unanimous in terms of making both Documentary and <400 Checks permanent. The former had 17 (12+5) out of 26 voters support it; the latter option had 16 (12+4) out of 26 voters support it. Assuming that's what you are asking. If you are talking about in terms of ratio, the idea that was floated/supported last year was having 6 new challenges for each category every year, so that's why we will only be voting for three Genre/Decade and five Theme Challenges to be repeated.
3eyes wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 12:58 pm
I've never been happy with decade challenges eating into genres. And if 3 of the genres are locked in, we should limit ourselves to 3 or 4 decades challenges.
The biggest issue with separating Decade and Genre is that it makes the Theme Challenge category even bigger and more encompassing than it currently is. If everybody wants me to separate Decade/Genre and throw the Decades into the Themes category, I'll do this -- but I would then need to put all non-2019 theme suggestions into a preliminary poll to narrow things down.
albajos wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 1:20 pm

expand to minority stories. So mexican american and/or chinese american director stories etc etc get a challenge
Blacksplotation might be big enough in itself, but the other minorities surely aren't

And since we are a global forum. Minority stories would also include natives all over the world. As aboriginals, sami etc.

Maybe we can have one with Blacksplotation and one with Global minorities (title pending)

Christmas movies

expand to Holiday movies

and
shorts
TV

also the Q in LGBTIQ stands for Queer, not really neccessary to write it twice.
There has been an Indigenous Narrative Challenge held before, which I believe encompasses your first suggestion. I had been thinking of expanding Christmas movies to Christmas/New Year. Not sure if I want to tie it in with an all holidays Challenge, but that idea on its own can be suggested by someone. Will add TV and Shorts to the OP.

As for Q, I always thought that the first Q was for Questioning and the second one for Queer, but I guess I could change it to LGBTIQQAAP if that's going to be a more inclusive and less confusing acronym.
blocho wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 3:06 pm
Two ideas:

Prison movies

Transit movies (movies primarily set on planes, trains, buses, submarines, trucks, boats, etc.)
Will add both when I next update the OP.
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

72allinncallme
Donator

Post by 72allinncallme » September 7th, 2019, 4:24 pm

@sol: No. I meant that it looks like three of the genre/decades that we held this year will be repeated in 2020. Is that the case?
OP wrote:2019 Challenges - We will vote on 3 to be repeated in 2020

sol
Donator

Post by sol » September 7th, 2019, 4:37 pm

72allinncallme wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 4:24 pm
@sol: No. I meant that it looks like three of the genre/decades that we held this year will be repeated in 2020. Is that the case?
Six will be repeated in 2020. Three of those are permanent and will not be voted on. We will be voting on which other three will be repeated.
Image Image Image

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » September 7th, 2019, 4:42 pm

72allinncallme wrote:
Assuming we're keeping the decade challenges where they are, wouldn't it be better to avoid repeating decades in consecutive years? I'd rather see us cycle through them in some predetermined fashion instead of voting on them every year.

(I do favor having silents as often as possible, but I suppose some years they could be modified into a 1920s or pre-1920 challenge)

72allinncallme
Donator

Post by 72allinncallme » September 7th, 2019, 4:45 pm

Is it really necessary to repeat six genre challenges? So we will have a 2019 genre/decade challenge every other month next year? :sleeping:

sol
Donator

Post by sol » September 7th, 2019, 4:58 pm

3eyes wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 4:42 pm
Assuming we're keeping the decade challenges where they are, wouldn't it be better to avoid repeating decades in consecutive years? I'd rather see us cycle through them in some predetermined fashion instead of voting on them every year.
I don't know if I could justify deliberating excluding them if they are popular enough to be revoted. Rest assured though that it is highly unlikely that the decade challenges from this year will make it into next year's lineup. If history tells us anything, Westerns and Sci-fi/Fantasy will be the two most popular repeated genre options, which will only leave room for one more 2019 option to be repeated.
72allinncallme wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 4:45 pm
Is it really necessary to repeat six genre challenges? So we will have a 2019 genre/decade challenge every other month next year? :sleeping:
This is exactly what we did last year -- repeat six for each challenge category and add six new ones for each challenge category -- and nobody complained then.

The biggest issue with shaking this up is that I don't know if I could justify shaking up Genre/Decade without also shaking up the other two challenge categories - and Theme has A LOT of popular options in there. It would probably be really controversial to say that we only want to repeat one or two of them.

A possible alternative would be to have only three polls in mid-October rather than six. We could just vote for our favourite 12 Genre/Decade, Country/Region and Theme ideas regardless of whether they have been repeated or not. Having no set ratios in place though does run the risk that the same 12 options in one category might once again be the most popular...
Image Image Image

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » September 7th, 2019, 5:05 pm

I have a challenge idea, 50 weeks 50 states.

1st week to get things in order, last week to recap and stats.
A new state each week. The majority of the movie must take place in that state.

albajos

Post by albajos » September 7th, 2019, 5:58 pm

sol wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 4:14 pm
There has been an Indigenous Narrative Challenge held before, which I believe encompasses your first suggestion.
It doesn't.

Crazy Rich Asians are not part of that.

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » September 7th, 2019, 6:06 pm

sol wrote: If history tells us anything, Westerns and Sci-fi/Fantasy will be the two most popular repeated genre options, which will only leave room for one more 2019 option to be repeated.
Oh, right. OK.

Minorities challenge sounds impossibly broad, and adding indigenous to it makes it even broader.... I like the idea in principle, but it needs tinkering with. (we might split African-American challenge and other minorities challenge.... minority directors? hmm.)

Transit challenge -- funny, I was thinking along similar lines the other day. (Do road movies fit here?)

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » September 7th, 2019, 6:56 pm

3eyes wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 4:42 pm
72allinncallme wrote:

(I do favor having silents as often as possible, but I suppose some years they could be modified into a 1920s or pre-1920 challenge)
That makes more sense to me also. And if more agree about that, that’s a justifiable reason to exclude the decade challenges from the polls.

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » September 7th, 2019, 7:11 pm

As for ideas, I am for more specific sub genre challenges to strength the sense of community viewing. More specific genres could lead to more overlap in viewings and maybe more discussion. Those challenges will probably attract less participants, but hopefully the passion/interest of those few for the sub-genre will lead to an interesting challenge thread.

I was thinking about stuff like; martial arts, samurai, giallo, slasher (those two could be combined), zombie.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » September 7th, 2019, 7:52 pm

blueboybob wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 5:05 pm

I love this idea, but it doesn't work with the monthly official challenge. I'd certainly participate, though. There is a Conquer the USA unofficial challenge somewhere in the depths of this forum...

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » September 7th, 2019, 8:31 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 7:52 pm
blueboybob wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 5:05 pm

I love this idea, but it doesn't work with the monthly official challenge. I'd certainly participate, though. There is a Conquer the USA unofficial challenge somewhere in the depths of this forum...
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=980&p=596251&hilit=conquer+the+US

I confess I am getting more and more confused about the boundary between genre and theme - I'd say prison and transit are themes, silent is genre... well, I guess the boundary is just plain fuzzy.
Last edited by 3eyes on September 7th, 2019, 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » September 7th, 2019, 8:55 pm

Well, here's the thread where I get to climb up on the hill where I'm doing to die... :P

[rant]
DECADES ARE NOT GENRES

They're barely even themes, and boring ones at that. There's no challenge to them; they're the Official Challenge equivalent of the free space in bingo. And the 21st Century challenge is the worst of them all (Oh, did you watch literally anything made within the last 20 years? Come join the GENRE challenge.) :circle: I view the decade challenges as a really unexciting way to clear out the watchlist and not have to think about any coherent structure to the challenge.

Also, if Silent Era is a theme, then decades are themes - they're both temporal groupings and should be treated similarly (of course, this argument goes away if neo-silents are included).

Personally, I'm of the extreme opinion that we shouldn't even be considering decades. With the possible exception of Silent, I'm not intending to vote for any of them.

And before I close my rant, let me reiterate that Minions is the root beer of film. :folded:
[/rant]

72allinncallme
Donator

Post by 72allinncallme » September 7th, 2019, 8:57 pm

+100
I said so myself last year.

Ax them.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » September 7th, 2019, 9:01 pm

3eyes wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 8:31 pm
I confess I am getting more and more confused about the boundary between genre and theme - I'd say prison and transit are themes....
My general understanding is that genre is pretty traditionally defined (e.g., Western, Comedy), while themes are some sort of underlying connecting topic that would cross both countries and genres. Directed by Women is a great example of a theme - women can direct film of any genre in any country. LGBTQ+ is another great example.

I do think that some of the themes that have been thrown out are narrow genres/subgenres, but that's not a hill I'm willing to die on.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » September 7th, 2019, 9:18 pm

For genre suggestions, any non-TV IMDB genre should be included, methinks.

For theme suggestions, I have two off the top of my head (kudos to albajos for suggestion Indigenous Narratives):

Immigrant Experience
People crossing international borders, dealing with resistance to them and culture clash. Doesn't matter where, just as long as people are living abroad, are attempting to, etc.

Parodies/Remakes
I LOVE a good parody and think they can be remarkably rewarding watches. I also think the line between a remake and a parody can be blurry, so include both. The one very minor restriction I'd advocate the host include is that you have to name the film/films being parodied.

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » September 7th, 2019, 10:04 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 8:55 pm
Well, here's the thread where I get to climb up on the hill where I'm doing to die... :P

[rant]
DECADES ARE NOT GENRES

They're barely even themes, and boring ones at that. There's no challenge to them; they're the Official Challenge equivalent of the free space in bingo. And the 21st Century challenge is the worst of them all (Oh, did you watch literally anything made within the last 20 years? Come join the GENRE challenge.) :circle: I view the decade challenges as a really unexciting way to clear out the watchlist and not have to think about any coherent structure to the challenge.

Also, if Silent Era is a theme, then decades are themes - they're both temporal groupings and should be treated similarly (of course, this argument goes away if neo-silents are included).

Personally, I'm of the extreme opinion that we shouldn't even be considering decades. With the possible exception of Silent, I'm not intending to vote for any of them.

And before I close my rant, let me reiterate that Minions is the root beer of film. :folded:
[/rant]
I agree about them being to broad. (But the same can be said about the country/region challenges.) Though I do like them a a mean to clear out my watchlist, so not against them. That’s why I suggested some more specific (genres) to counterbalance those very broad challenges.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » September 7th, 2019, 11:23 pm

I'm OK with decades, though I agree they're not "genres." I also think 21st century is too much. That shouldn't run again. 2000s and 2010s separately.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » September 7th, 2019, 11:25 pm

3eyes wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 6:06 pm
Transit challenge -- funny, I was thinking along similar lines the other day. (Do road movies fit here?)
Road movies fit, if the transit is by vehicle. I'm not sure about a walking/running movie. I would say yes to The Straight Story, no to Without Limits or Against the Current.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » September 8th, 2019, 1:13 am

albajos wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 5:58 pm
sol wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 4:14 pm
There has been an Indigenous Narrative Challenge held before, which I believe encompasses your first suggestion.
It doesn't.
Okay. I will remove Indigenous Narratives from the OP and change it to simply 'Minorities'.
Lonewolf2003 wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 7:11 pm
I was thinking about stuff like; martial arts, samurai, giallo, slasher (those two could be combined), zombie.
Samurai is already nominated, however, I will add:
- Martial Arts
- Giallo/Slasher
- Zombie
As your three challenge suggestions.
3eyes wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 8:31 pm
I confess I am getting more and more confused about the boundary between genre and theme - I'd say prison and transit are themes, silent is genre... well, I guess the boundary is just plain fuzzy.
Well, I would say that "silent" is definitely a theme, since films of any genre can be silent. But yes - the boundary is tricky and since we are now going to be throwing the decades into the themes, it's our best interest to fit more genre-like challenges such as Prison in the Genre section to avoid the Theme section from becoming even more overstuffed as it is.
maxwelldeux wrote:
DECADES ARE NOT GENRES

They're barely even themes, and boring ones at that. There's no challenge to them; they're the Official Challenge equivalent of the free space in bingo. And the 21st Century challenge is the worst of them all (Oh, did you watch literally anything made within the last 20 years? Come join the GENRE challenge.)
I agree about the 21st Century not being much of a Challenge and I have personally never voted for it in the polls - but it is an undeniably popular option.

I actually think that the older decades are a bit of a challenge though - certainly anything from the 70s or earlier since stuff like that is hard to find on DVD, on Netflix or the like. I also think that they are personally a pretty great way to lump films together; lots of trends and techniques are prevalent among specific decades. Stuff from the 1930s is particularly interesting to view since it's all about the transition from silent to sound and the focus on dialogue over visuals while filmmakers were still mastering the technique. And of course decades like the 1960s are great for their costumes and opulent sets, while the 1950s is a lot about Cold War paranoia and the like.
maxwelldeux wrote:

Okay, let's do it. I will transfer all of the decades in the Theme section and none of the themes will get a free pass to be voted for in the October polls (I will place everything into a preliminary poll to narrow things down).
maxwelldeux wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 9:18 pm
For theme suggestions, I have two off the top of my head (kudos to albajos for suggestion Indigenous Narratives):

Immigrant Experience
People crossing international borders, dealing with resistance to them and culture clash. Doesn't matter where, just as long as people are living abroad, are attempting to, etc.

Parodies/Remakes
I LOVE a good parody and think they can be remarkably rewarding watches. I also think the line between a remake and a parody can be blurry, so include both. The one very minor restriction I'd advocate the host include is that you have to name the film/films being parodied.
Actually, albajos didn't intend to nominate Indigenous Narratives, so I will be removing it, unless you want to nominate it yourself.

Will add both your other suggestions. I have supported the Remake idea in the past, but it has never gotten off the ground...
Lonewolf2003 wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 10:04 pm
I agree about [decades] being to broad. (But the same can be said about the country/region challenges.)
Exactly. UK or France anyone? Some of the themes are extremely broad too (we only recently voted to make <400 checks permanent!).
blocho wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 11:23 pm
I'm OK with decades, though I agree they're not "genres." I also think 21st century is too much. That shouldn't run again. 2000s and 2010s separately.
It's not going to run again. I have already broken up the 21st Century into '2000s' and '2010s' in the OP, so that's not even an option.
Image Image Image

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » September 8th, 2019, 1:59 am

maxwelldeux wrote:

Immigrant Experience

Parodies/Remakes
Both of these are great suggestions. "THe immigrant experience" could narrow down the minorities field a bit.
Parodies/remakes, yes! Good idea to combine them. Of course it could be tricky identifying all the specific films referenced in a genre parody.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » September 8th, 2019, 3:33 am

Oh, how could I forget: Labor movement/workers' rights.

I did make a whole list just for this purpose (https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/labo ... es/blocho/).

jeroeno

Post by jeroeno » September 8th, 2019, 7:14 am

I'll nominate the 1990's

Coryn

Post by Coryn » September 8th, 2019, 7:20 am

Not sure if I'm blind but are the 1990's missing?

Also an idea could be movies from 2020?
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?

jeroeno

Post by jeroeno » September 8th, 2019, 7:44 am

Coryn wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 7:20 am
Not sure if I'm blind but are the 1990's missing?

Also an idea could be movies from 2020?
I'd be all for a 2020 challenge in December, seems like a good time for those end of the year lists. :cheers:

sol
Donator

Post by sol » September 8th, 2019, 7:49 am

OP updated with latest suggestions.
Image Image Image

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » September 8th, 2019, 8:03 am

Regarding decades, it is films from the decades rather than about the decades so they are closer to genre than to themes in my opinion.
But anyway here it only matters to put them in either category to ensure fair distribution: themes are going to attract most suggestions and the most creative ones I would believe so we shouldn’t overload it with decades.
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage

72allinncallme
Donator

Post by 72allinncallme » September 8th, 2019, 10:20 am

sol wrote:A possible alternative would be to have only three polls in mid-October rather than six. We could just vote for our favourite 12 Genre/Decade, Country/Region and Theme ideas regardless of whether they have been repeated or not. Having no set ratios in place though does run the risk that the same 12 options in one category might once again be the most popular...
Yes. That would be mutch better imo. Having to repeat three challenges for no other reason then ‘we had them this year’ vs. ‘we want these challenges next year’. A no brainer.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » September 8th, 2019, 10:45 am

72allinncallme wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 10:20 am
sol wrote:A possible alternative would be to have only three polls in mid-October rather than six. We could just vote for our favourite 12 Genre/Decade, Country/Region and Theme ideas regardless of whether they have been repeated or not. Having no set ratios in place though does run the risk that the same 12 options in one category might once again be the most popular...
Yes. That would be mutch better imo. Having to repeat three challenges for no other reason then ‘we had them this year’ vs. ‘we want these challenges next year’. A no brainer.
What does everybody else think of this? I can indeed just run 3 (rather than 6) polls in mid-October if this is what everyone wants.

Going down this pathway would, however, mean that anyone will be told to jump in a lake if they complain about more than six 2019 options per category being popular enough to be repeated in 2020. ;)
hurluberlu wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 8:03 am
Regarding decades, it is films from the decades rather than about the decades so they are closer to genre than to themes in my opinion.
But anyway here it only matters to put them in either category to ensure fair distribution: themes are going to attract most suggestions and the most creative ones I would believe so we shouldn’t overload it with decades.
The crowding of the Theme category is certainly a bit of an issue and something that having preliminary polls for will hopefully alleviate.

I have, however, had a controversial idea based on all of the discussion here regarding the blur between Genre and Theme and the fact that there are so many theme options:

What if we got rid of the Genre and Theme categories altogether?

We could just have 12 Country/Region Challenges each year and 24 Anything Else Challenges, which could be genre, decade, theme, or whatever else we dream up.
Image Image Image

72allinncallme
Donator

Post by 72allinncallme » September 8th, 2019, 10:50 am

sol wrote:We could just have 12 Country/Region Challenges each year and 24 Anything Else Challenges, which could be genre, decade, theme, or whatever else we dream up.
Agreed. Sounds like a really good idea. :thumbsup:

ChrisReynolds
Donator

Post by ChrisReynolds » September 8th, 2019, 11:32 am

3eyes wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 1:59 am
maxwelldeux wrote:

Immigrant Experience

Parodies/Remakes
Both of these are great suggestions. "THe immigrant experience" could narrow down the minorities field a bit.
Parodies/remakes, yes! Good idea to combine them. Of course it could be tricky identifying all the specific films referenced in a genre parody.
I would also support these two challenges, though could I suggest "Immigrant experience" is named "Migrant experience", because after all, every immigrant is an emigrant to themselves.

albajos

Post by albajos » September 8th, 2019, 11:37 am

Also expand Jonathan Rosenbaum Essentials to all official critic lists.

Which seems is just Ebert and Truffaut. So 3 in total.

The others are edited by several.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » September 8th, 2019, 12:06 pm

albajos wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 11:37 am
Also expand Jonathan Rosenbaum Essentials to all official critic lists.

Which seems is just Ebert and Truffaut. So 3 in total.

The others are edited by several.
Would be interested to hear other opinions on this. When we had a Critics List Challenge in November 2017 it was a messy disaster since nobody knew which lists we were meant to be using.

Ebert and Truffaut don't have enough variety among them to be run as single challenges, so I suppose a merge wouldn't be out of the question even if it feels a bit weird since we have had Rosenbaum on its own three times before.

I wonder if we could do a Siskel & Ebert Challenge, maybe using Siskel's year-by-year top 10s? That could be interesting.
Image Image Image