Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: 2010s (Results), Animation (Jul 21st), 1974 awards (Jul 23rd), 1942 (Jul 27th)
Challenges: Low rating, Mystery/Suspense/Thriller, Benelux
Film of the Week: Spiegel van Holland, August nominations (Jul 26th)

Facebook Movie Challenge

zzzorf

Facebook Movie Challenge

Post by zzzorf » July 1st, 2019, 9:51 am

Over the last year and a bit I have been holding a challenge here on Facebook in a group (known as Wayne's Flickchart Challenge or WFC for short) where the other members (majority made up of people I had met through the Flickchart Facebook Group) recommend me movies to watch that I haven't seen in a tournament style setting. I did this to help broaden my cinematic horizons as I am still a relatively new Cinephile and I have watched some great movies during that time, some I may not have watched without the prompting. The challenge is in its home stretch with less than 10 movies left for me to watch which should be done in the next few weeks. Due to this I have opened up the 2nd incarnation of my challenge WFC 2: Random Roulette and will see the participants recommend me movies given by prompts they will receive by a random method.

Also during that year I have become involved here at these forums and have watched movies I never thought about watching before and enjoyed a lot of them. The movies that you all offer are a unique perspective and that is why I am offering those of you here to join my challenge and help me continue to explore the areas of cinema I have never seen. You don't have to watch anything yourself, just recommend me stuff when it is time and I will watch it.

The rules are pinned as an announcement when you get there and you can feel free to snap up your first movie if you want. Just know that since this challenge isn't officially started yet and your movie gets watched for another reason such as in the final rounds of my original challenge you will have to pick again.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/382014042421635/

zzzorf

Post by zzzorf » July 3rd, 2019, 3:39 am

I've had 2 takers from these forums so far join anyone else feel like getting involved and recommending me some movies to watch?

zzzorf

Post by zzzorf » July 14th, 2019, 1:33 am

My challenge has begun and I am now starting to watch the original movies given to me. There is still room for anyone here to join if they wish. I would love to have some of the more obscure movies you guys and girls here can give

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » July 14th, 2019, 1:52 am

I mean, biggest road block for me is not having Facebook...

zzzorf

Post by zzzorf » July 14th, 2019, 1:56 am

Easy fixed. The first round is the seeding round. You just need to choose a movie from my unwatched DVD list here to enter. https://letterboxd.com/zzzorf/list/dvd- ... pick-list/

zzzorf

Post by zzzorf » July 14th, 2019, 1:57 am

Here is a copy of the original rules post.

FLICKCHART DETAILS
USERNAME: zzzorf
Top 250 movies: http://www.flickchart.com/Charts.aspx?u ... erpage=250
SCORING
All scoring for this group will be done by the final % that the movie lands on my Flickchart when first added to it. While not an exact science it is one as Flickchart users we all agree is as close as we can get. Scores will reset at the beginning of each new round.
SEEDING ROUND
I have a dvd collection of over 1400 DVD's yet have only seen about half of them. For the initial round to gain entry into the challenge all the participant needs to do is choose a movie from the Letterboxd list I have prepared of those movies I have never seen that I own. The movie selection will be a first in/first served basis and I will endeavour to delete selected movies off the list as they occur to save confusion. Depending on numbers there may be a small amount of participants eliminated at the end of this round of those with the lowest score but don't despair, there is a way to regain entry back in the later rounds.
DVD LIST: https://letterboxd.com/zzzorf/list/dvd- ... pick-list/
MAIN ROUNDS
I have 250 prompts ranging from Genres, Decades, Styles, Keywords etc that have randomly been signed a number between 1 and 250. Going in the order of reverse finish (lowest score first) from the previous round each participant will choose a number and they will be given their prompt. They are then to give me a movie based on that prompt or choose to pass at a penalty of 10% off their score and rechoose a new number. Later users also have the added advantage of instead of choosing a number they may choose a prompt that was previously passed that is still unused. As long as I have 5 movies to watch the next participant can wait to see how the previous movies go before choosing their number but as soon as it goes below 5 they must choose. PLEASE NOTE: I may not watch these in order, that is why I am having 5 chosen at a time but I will get to everything.
ELIMINATIONS
Each round a predetermined amount of people will be eliminated from the challenge. This number will be decided upon when a complete picture of how many participants enter. The amount of rounds will be decided at the same time. (Has since been set to 4 a round)
RE-ENTRY
If at the end of any given round their is still a passed prompt that has not been claimed an eliminated competitor can claim that prompt and re-enter the challenge. This will cause the elimination number for that round to be increased by one. This will be a first in/first served basis. Once you have been eliminated twice from the challenge you are exempt from this loophole.
SPREADSHEET
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » July 14th, 2019, 2:14 am

zzzorf wrote:
July 14th, 2019, 1:56 am
Easy fixed. The first round is the seeding round. You just need to choose a movie from my unwatched DVD list here to enter. https://letterboxd.com/zzzorf/list/dvd- ... pick-list/
All right. My pick:

Wall Street (1987)

zzzorf

Post by zzzorf » July 15th, 2019, 10:29 pm

To keep Maxwelldeux in the loop of what's going 9n in the Facebook group since he can't join and for anyone else who is interested I will post each movie as I watch it here as posted in the group. Also anyone else who wishes to join you still have time if you want to recommend me some great movies. I won't close entrants until the completion of the seeding round.

Movie: Conan the Barbarian (1982)
Recommender: Dan Kocher
Round: Seeding
Prompt: DVD Collection

Review: I love a good Schwarzenegger action flick and this is one I haven't seen yet so it was a good choice from Dan in that respect. Maybe because this was sword not gunplay is why it didn't sit with me as good as I would have hoped. I mean I've got nothing against sword play, Highlander is in my top 30 afterall, but when I think of big action Arnie I think of big guns.
It didn't help the fact that this movie seemed to move a little slowly, feeling every part of its two-hour runtime. I enjoyed the story and all that but I think the direction would have been better if a more experienced director had taken the roll.
I will say though that the movie at least got me interested enough to watch the sequel which at the moment seems to be a bit more up my alley than the original.

Rating: 5/10
Flickchart Entry: < Unfriended (2014)
< Carry On Cabby (1963)
> Mystery in the Bermuda Triangle (1979)
> The Devil's Playground (1976)
< Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules (2011)
> Cat's Eye (1985)
> The People Under the Stairs (1991)
> Go (1999)
> The Pact (2012)
< Das Boot (1981)
> The Book of Eli (2010)
3007/3840
Score: 22%
Round Ranking: 1/1

Recommendation Ranking:136/164
Director Ranking: John Milius - No rank, first movie rated

Flickchart Stats
Director: John Milius - 1/1
Actors: Arnold Schwarzenegger - 20/21
Max von Sydow - 11/12
Sandahl Bergman - 2/2
Cassandra Gaviola - 1/1
Gerry Lopez: 1/1
Genres: Action - 649/806
Adventure - 571/725
Based-on-20th-Century-Literature - 228/289
Fantasy Adventure - 183/225
Fantasy - 461/561
Sword-and-Sorcery - 25/34
Franchises: N/A
Year: 1982 - 23/31

Picture will come when I am on my computer not my phone.