Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Animation (Results), 2016 awards (Aug 25th), 1987 (Aug 25th), Benelux (Aug 30th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Romance, UK/Ireland, <400 Checks
Film of the Week: Hospital, September nominations (Aug 30th)

"Il était une fois la révolution" is an extremely underrated film

1\1166312

"Il était une fois la révolution" is an extremely underrated film

Post by 1\1166312 » June 3rd, 2019, 12:46 pm

Also know as "Duck,You Sucker" (and "A Fistful of Dynamite"), I was very pleasantly surprised with this film. It's on par with
"The Good,The Bad & The Ugly" and "Once Upon A Time In The West" (I am still saving "America" for the perfect day), in my honest opinion. I wonder how a film by such a celebrated director got ignored this heavily ; Was it just because of the wacky, misleading name ("Duck,You Sucker",by the way Leone initially wanted the film to be named "Once Upon A Time...the Revolution" but they made him change it to something more marketable)?
It exudes a unique atmosphere. Great acting. Leone's most melancholic, weird and deepest.
Thoughts on this injusted masterpiece?

Also general Leone Western thread.

72allinncallme
Donator

Post by 72allinncallme » June 3rd, 2019, 1:41 pm

I have Giù la testa in my alltime Top 100. Leones second best after Once Upon a Time in America imho.

Not saying it is a masterpiece like OUaTiA, but it did wonders for me.

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » June 3rd, 2019, 2:56 pm

I liked it too. Didn't know about the original title - which chimed with "once upon a time in the West." Having to change it (to someting less Commie, not more marketable) may have contributed to its being underrated.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » June 3rd, 2019, 3:27 pm

I also thought Duck You Sucker was masterful. There are several so-called Zapata westerns that I like. But even the best of them feel a little shallow in how they foreground what are essentially bandit stories across a Mexican Revolution background for political effect. Duck You Sucker was superlative because the background political struggle really mattered to the storyline in a way that felt honest. And the foreground story of personal friendship that develops between the leads is interwoven effectively with the theme of revolution. Leone did something similar with the American Civil war in The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. As sardonic as that movie was, the battle scenes had genuine emotional impact.

I don't know why Duck You Sucker gets no respect. I tried to watch it with my father once, and he got annoyed by Rod Steiger's performance, which was strange because he normally loves Steiger (and loves the Tuco character in Good/Bad/Ugly that Steiger so clearly copies).