Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 11 released July 24th)
Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), 1960 (Aug 9th), Romance (Aug 28th)
Challenges: German/Austrian/Swiss, <400, 1970s
Film of the Week: Sibiriada, September nominations (Aug 28th)
World Cup S4: Match 2G: Russia vs Portugal (Aug 6th), Match 2H: India vs Cuba (Aug 16th), QF Preparation (Aug 25th)

Year by Year Polls: 1972 -- CLOSED

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
User avatar
Mothravka
Posts: 168
Joined: Jan 18, 2016
Location: Европа
Contact:

Re: Year by Year Polls: 1972

#81

Post by Mothravka » June 17th, 2019, 9:07 pm

1. The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant (Rainer Werner Fassbinder)
2. Solaris (Andrei Tarkovsky)
3. The Long Darkness (Kei Kumai)
4. Ecstasy of the Angels (Kôji Wakamatsu)
5. La cicatrice intérieure (Philippe Garrel)
6. Poem (Akio Jissôji)
7. Pictures of the Old World (Dušan Hanák)
8. Reminiscences of a Journey to Lithuania (Jonas Mekas)
9. Love in the Afternoon (Éric Rohmer)
10. Aguirre, the Wrath of God (Werner Herzog)
11. Maya Darpan (Kumar Shahani)
12. Umbracle (Pere Portabella)
13. The Goat Horn (Metodi Andonov)
14. Nathalie Granger (Marguerite Duras)
15. Red Psalm (Miklós Jancsó)
16. Cries and Whispers (Ingmar Bergman)
17. A Bee in the Rain (Fernando Lopes)
18. The New Land (Jan Troell)
19. The Other Side of the Underneath (Jane Arden)
20. Out 1: Spectre (Jacques Rivette)


The Pere Portabella film is listed as 1970 on the film's main page on IMDb for the moment, but when you click on the release info, there's just the 1972 date, which should be the correct one. I have sent in a correction, even though the 1970 date can't even be found on the info. It was only completed in 1970, but never released/shown until 1972. Even his own official homepage lists it as 1972.

And speaking of release dates, the thing about Metodi Andonov's film is even more confusing. I don't speak Bulgarian, but Serbian/Bosnian (which also uses Cyrillic), yet I couldn't dig up any more info than you guys. One thing I noticed is that the Bulgarian Wikipedia page says 1971 on the copyright part. It's strange. I believe 1972 should be the right year, but I can't say I'm 100 percent certain. On the other hand, I haven't seen a source that says exactly where it was shown in 1971, if it happened.

User avatar
Fergenaprido
Donator
Posts: 4218
Joined: Jun 03, 2014
Location: Malaysia
Contact:

#82

Post by Fergenaprido » June 18th, 2019, 2:19 am

joachimt wrote:
June 17th, 2019, 7:41 pm
Thanks for the info, Fergy. I'd suggest you submit it to IMDb and get it changed to 1972. Seems to make sense.
Just did and realized when the field autofilled that I'd tried to update it before. Now that I have more information, maybe they'll accept the change this time.

User avatar
PeacefulAnarchy
Moderator
Posts: 24748
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#83

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » June 18th, 2019, 3:20 am

1. Sleuth (1972)
2. The Getaway (1972)
3. The Ruling Class (1972)
4. Sambizanga (1972)
5. The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant (1972)
6. The Godfather (1972)
7. Play It Again, Sam (1972)
8. State of Siege (1972)
9. Aguirre: The Wrath of God (1972)
10. Chloe in the Afternoon (1972)
11. Under the Flag of the Rising Sun (1972)
12. Vinni-Pukh i den zabot (1972)
13. The Harder They Come (1972)
14. The Night Stalker (1972)
15. Cries and Whispers (1972)
16. Fat City (1972)
17. Frenzy (1972)
18. Jeremiah Johnson (1972)
19. A zori zdes tikhie (1972)
20. What's Up, Doc?
Not even enough room for Pakeezah or The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie or Reminiscences of a Journey to Lithuania among others. A strong year.

imdb:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069281/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068638/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069198/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069214/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068278/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068646/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069097/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070959/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068182/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068205/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0289782/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0208558/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070155/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067490/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069467/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068575/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068611/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068762/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068161/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069495/

User avatar
gromit82
Donator
Posts: 321
Joined: Feb 06, 2017
Location: USA
Contact:

#84

Post by gromit82 » June 18th, 2019, 4:35 am

Here's an update on this poll.

I'm extending the poll, but only until Friday, June 21. The deadline will be 7 PM, US Pacific time.

I'm going to allow Kozijat rog (The Goat Horn) and Umbracle into this poll, on the assumption that participants here are trying to, and will eventually succeed at, getting them listed as 1972 films by IMDb.

If anyone knows of any other films that are not listed by IMDb as 1972 films ... well, you have until Friday to get IMDb to correct them to 1972. I'm probably not going to rule on any other exceptions.

Before we had the handy template, I used to go through the ballots for the Year-by-Year Polls (when I was administering them) every few days, and, among other things, I would notify voters if they had a film from the wrong year on their ballots. But due to the way the new template works, it no longer makes sense for me to validate the ballots as they are posted, so I haven't been doing that. Please check your own ballots and make sure that the URLs you have placed are the correct films in the correct order.

Thanks to everyone who has voted so far, and if you haven't voted yet, I hope you will.

User avatar
1SO
Posts: 755
Joined: Dec 30, 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

#85

Post by 1SO » June 18th, 2019, 6:18 am

Ranked:

1. The Godfather
2. Aguirre: The Wrath of God
3. Sleuth
4. La cabina / The Phone Box
5. What’s Up, Doc?
6. Across 110th Street
7. Slaughterhouse Five
8. The Heartbreak Kid
9. 1776
10. The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean
11. Everything You Always Want to Know About Sex…
12. The Last House on the Left
13. Cries and Whispers
14. Lone Wolf and Cub: Sword of Vengeance
15. We Won’t Grow Old Together
16. The Poseidon Adventure
17. Vampire Circus
18. Under the Flag of the Rising Sun
19. State of Siege
20. Butterflies Are Free


User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 31928
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#86

Post by joachimt » June 18th, 2019, 10:10 am

joachimt wrote:
June 3rd, 2019, 8:11 pm
1. Solyaris
2. Uta
3. Sleuth
4. The Godfather
5. Kozijat rog
6. Viskningar och rop
7. Gunki hatameku motoni
8. Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes
9. Espejismo
10. Obrazy starého sveta
11. Morgiana
12. Deliverance
13. Roma
14. P mesle pelican
15. Die bitteren Tränen der Petra von Kant
16. Winter Soldier
17. Frenzy
18. La cabina
19. Még kér a nép
20. Uma Abelha na Chuva
I hope that the people who already voted before the Solyaris decision was made, have noticed the decision and change their vote (if they want to vote for Solyaris of course). It's back at 1972 on IMDb, btw.
I edited my post to include Kozijat rog at #5.
Kahdeksan surmanluotia dropped off.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
gromit82
Donator
Posts: 321
Joined: Feb 06, 2017
Location: USA
Contact:

#87

Post by gromit82 » June 21st, 2019, 5:55 am

Just a reminder: there's less than one day left to vote in this poll.

User avatar
farne
Posts: 93
Joined: Feb 08, 2017
Location: Grand Fenwick
Contact:

#88

Post by farne » June 21st, 2019, 9:15 pm

Hey Gromit. I hope you and the other pollsters are well.

Here is my unranked list for 1972:

Silent Running
Sleuth
Young Winston
The Stone Tape
Solyaris / Solaris

Viskningar och rop / Cries and Whispers
The Great Northfield Minnesota Raid
The Godfather
Deliverance
Death Line

Tales from the Crypt
Cabaret
Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes / Aguirre, the Wrath of God
The New Centurions
The Poseidon Adventure

The Hot Rock
The Candidate
Frenzy
The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean
What's Up, Doc?



User avatar
gromit82
Donator
Posts: 321
Joined: Feb 06, 2017
Location: USA
Contact:

#90

Post by gromit82 » June 22nd, 2019, 2:20 am

The poll is closed now. Please don't change your ballots unless you receive a private message from me to alert you to a problem with your ballot.

Thank you to everyone who participated.

jdidaco
Posts: 1429
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Contact:

#91

Post by jdidaco » June 22nd, 2019, 3:00 am

I missed for a few seconds I guess, no problem gromit...

In the wake of São Paulo's LGBT Parade to be held this Sunday, rivaling with NY as the largest in the world, and most important now as it has ever been (Fora Bolsonaro!!!), a list to celebrate the event, with just a few LGBT-related wonders from this extraordinary year,

Unranked,

Ludwig - Requiem für einen jungfräulichen König (Syberberg)
Theodor Hierneis oder Wie man ehem. Hofkoch wird (Syberberg)
Hwabun (Ha)
Ai nu (Chor)
Mesunekotachi no yoru (Tanaka)
LA Plays Itself (Halsted)
The Sex Garage (Halsted)
American Cream (Jean-Claude van Itallie, as "Rob Simple")
Bijou (Poole)
Dreamwood (Broughton)
Lucifer Rising (Anger)
Pink Flamingos (Waters)
Prometheus (De Rome)
Left-handed (Deveau)
Confessions (McDowell)
Young Playthings (Sarno)
Duffer (Despins/Dumaresq)
Absences répétées (Gilles)
La semana del asesino (de la Iglesia)
Stella da Falla (Savoldelli/Sandoz)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068884/reference
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070792/reference
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2171927/reference
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068744/reference
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0227051/reference
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0249670/reference
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0257143/reference
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0210495/reference
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0211254/reference
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068506/reference
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066019/reference
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069089/reference
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2347483/reference
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0142575/reference
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0128138/reference
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069527/reference
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0217405/reference
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0198280/reference
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067732/reference
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7146090/reference

User avatar
RogerTheMovieManiac88
Posts: 1650
Joined: Feb 04, 2017
Location: Westmeath, Ireland
Contact:

#92

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » June 22nd, 2019, 9:46 am

I guess I'll have to miss out this one. I couldn't nab a laptop at all yesterday and this slipped my mind. Oh well, the 70s are one of my least-viewed decades. My list probably wouldn't have changed things very much. I would have supported the Fassbinder, Beizai and Bellon (RIP) among others and 'Kozijat rog' would probably have garnered my No. 1 spot.

Apologies for forgetting about this! Looking forward to the results.
That's all, folks!

User avatar
gromit82
Donator
Posts: 321
Joined: Feb 06, 2017
Location: USA
Contact:

#93

Post by gromit82 » June 23rd, 2019, 3:26 am

By the way, both Kozijat rog and Umbracle have already been updated on IMDb to being 1972 films. Thank you to the participants here who submitted those corrections (and for Solyaris as well).

I have already entered all except four ballots into the spreadsheet, those four being ballots which had certain URL problems, for which I have sent PMs to those voters. If you received such a PM, please make sure to fix your ballot as soon as possible.

morrison-dylan-fan
Posts: 1224
Joined: Feb 06, 2017
Contact:

#94

Post by morrison-dylan-fan » June 24th, 2019, 11:53 pm

jdidaco wrote:
June 22nd, 2019, 3:00 am
I missed for a few seconds I guess, no problem gromit...

In the wake of São Paulo's LGBT Parade to be held this Sunday, rivaling with NY as the largest in the world, and most important now as it has ever been (Fora Bolsonaro!!!), a list to celebrate the event, with just a few LGBT-related wonders from this extraordinary year,

Unranked,

Ludwig - Requiem für einen jungfräulichen König (Syberberg)
Theodor Hierneis oder Wie man ehem. Hofkoch wird (Syberberg)
Hwabun (Ha)
Ai nu (Chor)
Mesunekotachi no yoru (Tanaka)
LA Plays Itself (Halsted)
The Sex Garage (Halsted)
American Cream (Jean-Claude van Itallie, as "Rob Simple")
Bijou (Poole)
Dreamwood (Broughton)
Lucifer Rising (Anger)
Pink Flamingos (Waters)
Prometheus (De Rome)
Left-handed (Deveau)
Confessions (McDowell)
Young Playthings (Sarno)
Duffer (Despins/Dumaresq)
Absences répétées (Gilles)
La semana del asesino (de la Iglesia)
Stella da Falla (Savoldelli/Sandoz)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068884/reference
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070792/reference
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2171927/reference
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068744/reference
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0227051/reference
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0249670/reference
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0257143/reference
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0210495/reference
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0211254/reference
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068506/reference
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066019/reference
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069089/reference
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2347483/reference
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0142575/reference
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0128138/reference
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069527/reference
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0217405/reference
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0198280/reference
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067732/reference
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7146090/reference
Hi JD,I hope the LGBT Parade went well,and I really enjoyed reading your list. Having recently found out about a vast archive of South Korean cinema being put on YT (all with Eng Subs) https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/j ... ng-joon-ho

I was wondering what made Hwabun stand out most for you?

jdidaco
Posts: 1429
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Contact:

#95

Post by jdidaco » June 28th, 2019, 12:42 am

morrison-dylan-fan wrote:Hi JD,I hope the LGBT Parade went well,and I really enjoyed reading your list. Having recently found out about a vast archive of South Korean cinema being put on YT (all with Eng Subs) https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/j ... ng-joon-ho

I was wondering what made Hwabun stand out most for you?
Hi morrison. Yeah, 'Hwabun' (The Pollen of Flowers) has been of my favorite discoveries on that amazing collection. Domestic horror/melodrama elevated to its craziest zenith, bonkers than anything Kim Ki-young ever made, more sexually heated and perverse than the best of Masumura. Enter its shocking and deliciously overripe revelations at your own risk!!! :D

User avatar
gromit82
Donator
Posts: 321
Joined: Feb 06, 2017
Location: USA
Contact:

#96

Post by gromit82 » June 30th, 2019, 4:22 am

By the way, I see that the header mentions that we are "waiting for results" on this 1972 poll. All the calculations have been done, but I have to get the results formatted.

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 31928
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#97

Post by joachimt » June 30th, 2019, 7:41 am

gromit82 wrote:
June 30th, 2019, 4:22 am
By the way, I see that the header mentions that we are "waiting for results" on this 1972 poll. All the calculations have been done, but I have to get the results formatted.
Don't feel rushed because I put that in the header. It wasn't meant to push you or anything. I just thought it was stupid it still mentioned the date of the deadline, which expired clearly. I think I'll do this more often when a deadline expires and we're waiting for results.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
gromit82
Donator
Posts: 321
Joined: Feb 06, 2017
Location: USA
Contact:

#98

Post by gromit82 » June 30th, 2019, 6:15 pm

joachimt wrote:
June 30th, 2019, 7:41 am
gromit82 wrote:
June 30th, 2019, 4:22 am
By the way, I see that the header mentions that we are "waiting for results" on this 1972 poll. All the calculations have been done, but I have to get the results formatted.
Don't feel rushed because I put that in the header. It wasn't meant to push you or anything. I just thought it was stupid it still mentioned the date of the deadline, which expired clearly. I think I'll do this more often when a deadline expires and we're waiting for results.
Maybe, instead of "waiting for results," you could substitute "closed" for the deadline instead.

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 31928
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#99

Post by joachimt » June 30th, 2019, 6:25 pm

Will do that. :thumbsup:
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

Post Reply