Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: 1932 (Results), 1930s (Results), 2015 awards (May 23rd)
Challenges: Western, Iran, Cannes
Film of the Week: Ramrod, June nominations (May 24th)

Official Western Challenge - May 2019

PUNQ

Re: Official Western Challenge - May 2019

Post by PUNQ » May 17th, 2019, 3:54 pm

Did I mention I was in? Sorry, for the delay. Don't think I've been this unorganized in my viewing since I became movie crazy. I've used the last 3-4 days getting up-to-date with everything, so my first port is gigantic. So much so I gave up on doing pictures and stuff like that, so not to lag behind even more.

This also concludes my main goal of the challenge. Watching every available western from 1944 (plus the only one from this year I've been able to track down). And I must say, it was a pretty poor year. With over 50 film available, only John Wayne's Tall in the Saddle (1944) was must see, otherwise it was a year which brought us back the early/mid-1930s level standard for the poor genre. Got to wait for the war to end before the westerns start dominating Hollywood.

1-4. Black Arrow (1944, Lew Landers & B. Reeves Eason) [4 hrs 20min] - 3/10 - FIRST CHECK!
--- Black Arrow (1944) is a long western serial from Colombia Pictures which felt pointless from the beginning as the bad guys were made to look like fools right from episode 1 all the way through episode 15! None of their plans worked! And that with heroes not much smarter than they were. They used this serial to try and get unknowns Mark Roberts & Adele Jergens over with the cinema audience, but I hardly think that worked very well here. Instead it was Charles Middleton keeping things together, along with Kenneth MacDonald. This was not a impressive story or production, even by serial standards. Everything just felt stupid. Sure, some of the action was fun, but the way they tied together these four and a half hours made it frustrating.

5-7. Zorro's Black Whip (1944, Spencer Gordon Bennet & Wallace Grissell) [3 hrs] - 5/10
--- A feminine take on Zorro! So it gives us something to remember Linda Stirling by. Besides that, this 12-part serial doesn't reinvent the wheel. Does however entertain and stays mostly as a positive experience through-out.

8-10. Raiders of Ghost City (1944, Lewis D. Collins & Ray Taylor) [3 hrs 40 min] - 4/10
--- Serviceable serial, for sure, by Universal, trying to make something out of Dennis Moore out in a western setting, He did a solid job, though not a cowboy with the most personality. They had Joe Sawyer as his sidekick for that. As the main bad guy we had Lionel Atwill during his major downward spiral, in a largely forgettable role. The plot was so-so, but they managed to keep up a good pace making this 13-episode serial go by fast.

11a. Wells Fargo Days (1944, Mack V. Wright) - 20min
11b. Trial by Trigger (1944, William C. McGann) - 21min
11c. Roaring Guns (1944, Jean Negulesco) - 19min

12. Gangsters of the Frontier (1944, Elmer Clifton) - 3/10
--- Ordinary cheap PRC western, but cool enough with Tex Ritter singing his songs and quite a few slapstick moments to cheer one up. More for the young ones than the mature cowboy audience.

13. Dead or Alive (1944, Elmer Clifton) - 3/10
These Tex Ritter westerns over at PRC have a fun dynamic with its trio. Tex is the star and voice, Dave O'Brien is the handsome son of a gun and Guy Wilkerson is the clown. Combine the three and you have a family friendly western on your hands. It's dirt cheap though, and it's not like PRC ever cared about making good movies. All about getting them out there in the cinema for a quick buck. At least it had its characters.

14. The Whispering Skull (1944, Elmer Clifton) - 2/10 - FIRST CHECK!
--- Imagine having a masked villain and not even bothering to give him a proper close-up before ripping off his lame mask! So little effort. At least Tex Ritter got to sing his songs.

15. Oklahoma Raiders (1944, Lewis D. Collins) - 3/10
--- I've seen Tex Ritter in so many poverty row westerns, that it almost feels weird seeing his work in one of the bigger studios. Sure, they didn't have that big a budget, but the production looked more polished than majority of his films. Unfortunately Oklahoma Raiders (1944) marked the end of his Universal stint, and he'd be pushed back to doing poverty rowers for the rest of his career. This western was fine for a B- or C-effort. However it was so standard that it was for the most part uninteresting. Not a winner.

16. Cowboy Canteen (1944, Lew Landers) - 4/10
--- Corny cowboy approach to the musical troop rooting that was sweeping the times this was made. A brotherly rivalry mellowed down by a ton of musical guest stars. Good fun, but oh so hollow. Just a forced plot for a what's basically variety show.

17. Frontier Outlaws (1944, Sam Newfield) - 3/10
--- Super low budget and Sam Newfield behind the camera doesn't exactly signal for a good movie, but I found humor in Buster Crabbe posing as a Mexican and Al St. John always brings a good time, so it wasn't that bad.

18. Fuzzy Settles Down (1944, Sam Newfield) - 3/10
--- "Fuzzy" Al St. John want to settle down and ends up being a newspaper business! That was fun, but seeing how this ended up as a routine western as time went by, I kind of of wished they'd done more with Fuzzy the reporter....

19. Wild Horse Phantom (1944, Sam Newfield) - 3/10
--- Buster Crabbe must be praising himself lucky to have Al St. John as his sidekick. Without his comic input, his cheap westerns would have been unbearable. But stick Fuzzy in a haunted goldmine and I'll be entertained!

20. Oath of Vengeance (1944, Sam Newfield) - 3/10
--- I guess they felt Fuzzy Settles Down (1944) was a success, so they had him settle down once more. This time as a shop owner with everyone buying on credit. Buster Crabbe wasn't that bad here, but it was hardly a exciting western, so enjoy it as a low budget comedy.

21. Boss of Boomtown (1944, Ray Taylor) - 2/10 - FIRST CHECK!
--- I don't know. Too stiff and ordinary to really become enjoyable. Run of the mill low budget western where they used tough looking Rod Cameron as the hero to mild effect. Forgettable too.

22. Trigger Trail (1944, Lewis D. Collins) - 4/10 - FIRST CHECK!
--- Trigger Trail (1944) was a pretty good B-western. Nothing revolutionary, but scenarios worked better than your average quickie. Especially considering it's starring one of the less proven cowboys at the time in Rod Cameron. Of course, having Fuzzy Knight there lightens things up, making things more funny when he's trapped by a jolly henchman!

23. Raiders of the Border (1944, John P. McCarthy) - 3/10 - FIRST CHECK!
--- Johnny Mack Brown was one of the king cowboys of B-westerns. He certainly was a figure well-suited for for his part. Unfortunately his films rarely go beyond the usual western routine. So much so, that little stood out and they quickly become dull. Raiders of the Border (1944) is one of those. Perfectly serviceable, but oh so forgettable.

24. Partners of the Trail (1944, Lambert Hillyer) - 3/10
--- Routine cowboy flick with Johnny Mack Brown. Gives you the western kick, low budget style. Definitely a seen-it-all-before type film, but it works well enough for what it was.

25. Law Men (1944, Lambert Hillyer) - 2/10
--- Law made the west boring. Well anyway, Monogram and their associates did. Johnny Mack Brown needs more excitement around him to shine, and they gave him nothing here. Boring and unimpressive.

26. Range Law (1944, Lambert Hillyer) - 3/10
--- So-so B-western. Follows the trend of lackluster Johnny Mack Brown cowboy films. Polished enough to put on screen, but not really anything exciting. Honestly Mack and his sidekick Raymond Hatton doesn't really have much chemistry together, and that's the main problem about their series of westerns. Though, they were decent here. The rest is as expected for a Monogram "wild" west flick.

27. Ghost Guns (1944, Lambert Hillyer) - 2/10
--- Monogram really struggles to make these Johnny Mack Brown & Raymond Hatton collaborations interesting. Plain standard westerns with no added thrills, originality or production touches. And the two heroes doesn't really give anything extra either. A yawn.

28. Tucson Raiders (1944, Spencer Gordon Bennet) - 4/10 - FIRST CHECK!
--- First one for Bill Elliott in the Red Ryder franchise, which would be his main meal ticket the next couple of years. Off to a good start, having 10-year-old "Little Beaver" Robert Blake as assistant, as well as George 'Gabby' Hayes as their sidekick! Of course, as a B-western, it follows the usual course. Thankfully they have enough likable characters to keep it entertaining until the end.

29. The San Antonio Kid (1944, Howard Bretherton) - 4/10 - FIRST CHECK!
--- Bill Elliott's Red Ryder brings the kid friendly action, charming enough without changing much to the usual B-western formula. Little Beaver is the biggest mood changer in this standard fair.

30. Tall in the Saddle (1944, Edwin L. Marin) - 7/10 - OFFICIAL CHECK!
--- This was hilarious! All about the characters and their wonderful reactions to the trouble they're in! A John Wayne western after he'd finally become a big star, so this had the production values and talent behind the camera to make a enchanting movie. One of the big highlights of the not-so-western year of 1944. Delightfully simple!

31. Barbary Coast Gent (1944, Roy Del Ruth) - 5/10
--- Wallace Beery as a conman and a ton of characters, had the potential to become something great, but ended up stumbling along the way with it's story, which could have been handled for a better kick. Still fun, though.

32. Belle of the Yukon (1944, William A. Seiter) - 5/10
--- Ridiculous script, but it's not like they hide that fact and they sprinkle this with a lot of funny characters and minor scenarios to make it a enjoyable rump.

33. Hands Across the Border (1944, Joseph Kane) - 3/10
--- Roy Rogers' Hands Across the Border (1944) is a musical western. Mostly a tedious one at that, unfortunately. Not enough finess about the production, mixed with the usual half-hearted cowboy action. It never really connects, even if I can see there are some good bits in there.

34. Cowboy and the Senorita (1944, Joseph Kane) - 4/10
--- Roy Rogers meets his future wife! The first movie he did with Dale Evans, before they fell in love. Not a total leading lady at first, but clearly aimed for Rogers eye, while young Mary Lee gets most of the attention in this story of inheritance and gold mines. Kind of fun.

35. The Yellow Rose of Texas (1944, Joseph Kane) - 3/10
--- Trying to lighten the mood with a little too much music, leaving the suspense of the west hanging in the air. Sure, Roy Rogers films have their charm, but so few of them possessed great film making. Sadly, that includes The Yellow Rose of Texas (1944).

36. Song of Nevada (1944, Joseph Kane) - 4/10
--- Probable one of the least dramatic "fake death" stories to ever make it on film, but in good nature as Roy Rogers helps a father get his snobbish daughter back to ranch life. The girl in question being Roy's future wife Dale Evans, and honestly it wasn't so difficult to convince her. Mildly entertaining.

37. San Fernando Valley (1944, John English) - 3/10 - FIRST CHECK!
--- Roy Rogers doing wimins work at the wimins ranch! They don't like his cooking, but they sure looooovveeee him. Cheesy and light musical cowboy flick, not really doing much for me.

38. Lights of Old Santa Fe (1944, Frank McDonald) - 5/10
--- Roy Rogers' most romantic movie yet. And how fitting it was with his future wife Dale Evans. Oh, so sweet. And when it wasn't sweet, you have a very good time with George 'Gabby' Hayes! One of the most polished Roy Rogers films of the period. Won't set the world on fire, but it sure had it's moments!

39. The Big Bonanza (1944, George Archainbaud) - 3/10 - FIRST CHECK!
--- Roy Rogers wasn't available or something? Sure felt like it. Or it's just the way Republic Pictures make their westerns. Regardless, the star they got in his place was aging Richard Arlen, who didn't really fit into this mold. And George 'Gabby' Hayes was surely wasted in his supporting role. You could see what they were attempting, but it simply wasn't an engaging affair. Something was off.

40. Song of the Range (1944, Wallace Fox) - 3/10 - FIRST CHECK!
--- After making guest appearances and singing in cowboy movies for half-a-decade, Jimmy Wakely finally got a shot at playing lead in poverty row westerns for Monogram. A multi-talented guy, but low of screen charisma. That added with Monograms less-than-stellar production qualities, those films weren't exactly anything special. Just quickies for the fans of his music, which non-fans will forget very quickly.

41. Can't Help Singing (1944, Frank Ryan) - 4/10
--- Got to be one of my least favorite Deanna Durbin films. The dolled up western surroundings and a curly blond haired Durbin singing and singing, keeping the mood sugary sweet, got on my nerves. Got to make 'em more rugged than this if you're going out in rough country. Even if it's a Durbin movie.

42. Girl Rush (1944, Gordon Douglas) - 4/10
--- Vaudeville out west! Part of RKO's attempt to make Wally Brown & Alan Carney their Abbott & Costello. And as usual, the attempt falls short. Doesn't mean there isn't laughs, just not the super fun time it tries to be.

43. Silver City Kid (1944, John English) - 3/10 - FIRST CHECK!
--- A run-of-the-mill Republic western so routine that they could have put anyone to star in it. Felt by coincident that Allan Lane was the lead. Could have been anybody. No touches or identity to the production. Just a quick fix.

44. Nevada (1944, Edward Killy) - 5/10
--- An exhausting year of non-stop extra/small part work pays off for Robert Mitchum getting his first starring role as Nevada in Nevada (1944). Gary Cooper also got one of his earliest breaks in the silent version of Nevada (1927). So a star making role, I guess. And it's a good western. Perhaps a little light and peaceful in such a heated environment, but Mitchum truly took the role to heart, showing he was a perfect fit for tough man westerns.

45. Guns of the Law (1944, Elmer Clifton) - 3/10
--- PRC doing their best to maintain Dave O'Brien as a handsome cowboy hero, except their best isn't good enough. The "Texas Ranger" series was coming close to the end and not surprising. Very average poverty row western, the type I've seen hundreds of "variations" of. Nothing better or worse than any other entry like this.

46. Spook Town (1944, Elmer Clifton) - 2/10 - FIRST CHECK!
--- To keep things spooky, the scenes were dark, made even darker by the poor existing print. Very black. But to be honest, even if one could barely see, I don't think we missed much in this very cheap western.

47. Brand of the Devil (1944, Harry L. Fraser) - 3/10
--- The usual rough western released by PRC. The 14th of the "Texas Ranger" franchise, and the last before shaking things up with Tex Ritter on the next ones. And the shake-up was surely needed. The heroes are lackluster, but I found humor in the bad guys and almost rooted for them.

48. The Falcon Out West (1944, William Clemens) - 4/10
--- A little diversion in The Falcon series going out west so that they could do comedy scenes with elegant Brit-style actor Tom Conway do rugged cowboy things. They soon stopped and kept things mostly domestic. Not too thrilling, but had some moments to enjoy.

49. Westward Bound (1944, Robert Emmett Tansey) - 2/10
--- The Trailblazers: Ken Maynard, Hoot Gibson & Bob Steele. All big names in B-westerns, teaming together to catch the bad guys. However all three haven't changed-up their style since the early 1930s, so no wonder their careers were going nowhere by this point. Making the same western they'd done for a decade or two, with production looking the same as it did back in the primitive early sound days too. While I like them, this was sleepwalking their way through the action. Only Hoot managed to stand out in any way or form.

50. Harmony Trail (1944, Robert Emmett Tansey) - 2/10
--- Harmony Trail (1944) signifies the end of Ken Maynard's over 20 years as a cowboy star, which started in the silent era and struggled along poverty row for the sound era. He would make two appearances over a quarter of a century later, but as far as career went, this was the end. Best thing was Maynard showing off his rope skills. The rest was stiff as most of his sound career had been.

51. Outlaw Trail (1944, Robert Emmett Tansey) - 2/10 - FIRST CHECK!
--- The Trail Blazers continued for a couple of more shots after Ken Maynard went out, but it didn't help the series much. Still some of the dullest westerns made in 1944.

52. Marked Trails (1944, John P. McCarthy) - 3/10 - FIRST CHECK!
--- A little bit better than most of these Trail Blazers westerns, but not by much. Still scraping the barrel, except for Hoot Gibson showing a little character and Bob Steele more fire than usual for these cheap pictures. Otherwise it's the usual P-western thing.

53. Buffalo Bill (1944, William A. Wellman) - 5/10
--- Buffalo Bill (1944) pays fine detail to color and surroundings, but not as much to it's story where it gets difficult to root for anybody. Joel McCrea takes his role seriously, and it does try to tell a compelling story, but there are little things which stops it from becoming engaging. A good attempt, but not as good as they aimed for.

54. Gentle Annie (1944, Andrew Marton) - 4/10
--- Gentle Annie (1944) has a interesting and somewhat tragic things to tell, yet it struggles to become believable. There is just something about James Craig which doesn't suit the role and it took me away from what the story was trying to tell me. But there are qualities here.

55. Moonlight and Cactus (1944, Edward F. Cline) - 5/10
--- Women taking over the ranch as men goes to war, and does a better job of running it! Then you had The Andrews Sisters singing their sweet tunes. And for better or worse, you had Shemp Howard dressed up as a Andrews Sister physically flirting with Tom Kennedy. That's the perfect description of what Moonlight and Cactus (1944) is!

56. Texas Masquerade (1944, George Archainbaud) - 5/10
--- William Boyd doing one of his masquerade parts as Hopalong Cassidy and a snobbish fellow going undercover to fool some land stealers. Might not be anything new in the Hopalong series, but with the big western drought of '44, Texas Masquerade (1944) is among the more entertaining westerns of the year.

57. Lumberjack (1944, Lesley Selander) - 4/10
--- Hopalong Cassidy and his friends bring a very basic cowboy action flick for this one. Only different is that they bring in out in rugged lumberjack country. Doesn't have as much personality as many of the other film in the franchise, but what they do is good enough for a solid western kick.

58. Mystery Man (1944, George Archainbaud) - 4/10
--- A routine Hoppy. Thankfully these Hopalong Cassidy films have a better crew behind them than your usual B-western of the time, so they'll entertain enough. The chemistry between the guys are there and the action carries the rest.

59. Forty Thieves (1944, Lesley Selander) - 5/10
--- A solid as can be Hopalong Cassidy film without doing any kind of gimmick. Straight western talk. Had to appreciate the awkward old-man's fight on the hanging bridge which was the climax, and the regular crew was as likable as ever.

60. Never Grow Old (2019, Ivan Kavanagh) - 4/10
--- We're in the age of depression westerns. The formula: Slow monotone dialogue, embarrassingly empty atmosphere/sound design, dark scenes with only short bliss of hyper violence breaking the snooze fest. Never Grow Old (2019) isn't the only sinner of this, and it's far from the worst. It does things well and it's got a few interesting characters, even if they're one-dimensional. But it's not really anything which felt engaging to me.

From now on I'll blend things with modern westerns from 2017 and 2018 (didn't find any I hadn't seen from 2015 and 2016, which have been the modern years I've focused on before), along with newly discovered pre-1944 cowboy thrills. And I'll keep posting regular updates, so no more surprises.

--PUNQ--
Last edited by PUNQ on May 18th, 2019, 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan » May 17th, 2019, 4:16 pm

01. The Sisters Brothers -- Audiard, 2018.
I had loved the novel, and I had been very hopeful about the movie, given a promising cast, but it falls far short of the book. John C. Reilly gives a good performance, but the plot moves around too quickly and disjointedly, leaving little time for the interplay and moments that were a highlight in the (not terribly lengthy) novel. Also...Jake Gyllenhaal is okay in general, but he has a really odd accent here for a character named "John Morris."

02. Dead West a.k.a. Cowboys vs. Vampires -- Myers, 2010.
I did not expect greatness from this horror western, but it was so bad that it was...just bad. The characters were all dressed and lit as if they were normally pre-sex porn actors, except there's no sex to speak of in this film, and the supposedly sexy/vampy bad girl character is so overdone it's almost funny...almost. The script is terrible, and the plot gets annoying when it veers off all the characters it's been following for an hour to kill time scaring random, previously unintroduced people in a deep, dark mine/cave. The only slightly decent bit is a performance from some (real) local baile folklorico and mariachi groups, and the location shooting in Tucscon kind of makes me want to go back there...just nowhere near this film.

03. Eyes of Fire -- Crounse, 1983.
About 30-odd years ago, my friend's mother watched some rented VHS movie while we occasionally checked out what was going on, and ever since then, I've been trying to remember what it was. The images that I'd retained were so short -- almost like stills -- that I couldn't really describe them to an "Identify this film" thread, but the bits and pieces I had were vivid. This is definitely the film! It's an eighteenth-century frontier/colonial witchcraft western with quite a few good things going for it, especially the setting: Crounse and cinematographer Wade Hanks can make even sunlit fields and glades seem unsettling and ominous. The material kind of falls apart in the third act, but it's not a bad little film.
Last edited by burneyfan on May 18th, 2019, 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

India Istanbul

Post by India Istanbul » May 17th, 2019, 7:40 pm

13. The Arizona Kid (1939)
14. For A Few Dollars More (1965)
15. Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (1954)
16. The Stranger and the Gunfighter (1974)

Total: 16 points
SpoilerShow
1. Call of the Forest (1949)
2. Cavalcade of the West (1936)
3. The Yellow Rose of Texas (1944)
4. Trailing Double Trouble (1940)
5. Death Rides the Range (1939)
6. Fast Bullets (1936)
7. Feud of the Range (1939)
8.Two Mules for Sister Sara (1970)
9. Take a Hard Ride (1975)
10. Fort Apache (1948)
11. My Darling Clementine (1946)
12. Death Rides a Horse (1967)

fori

Post by fori » May 18th, 2019, 1:07 am

Day 18 (+ end of Day 17)
75. Trail of the Vigilantes (1940, Allan Dwan)
76. Man in the Wilderness (1971, Richard C. Sarafian)

shugs
Donator

Post by shugs » May 18th, 2019, 7:45 am

PUNQ wrote:
May 17th, 2019, 3:54 pm
11b. Trigger Trail (1944, Lewis D. Collins) - 21min
I can't find this. You've already mentioned the full length feature of the same name and director, so I think it might be a copy-paste issue or something.

PUNQ

Post by PUNQ » May 18th, 2019, 9:45 am

You're correct. That short film was supposed to be the similar looking title - Trial by Trigger (1944, William C. McGann). I'll fix it in the my main post too.

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » May 18th, 2019, 11:56 am

20. Man in the Wilderness (1971) 7
tough hombresShow
*rewatch
1. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2007) 6
2. Dead Birds (2004) 5
3. Hang Em High (1968) 7
4. High Noon (1952) 8
5. Forsaken (2015) 6
6. Django Kill...If You Live, Shoot! (1967) 7
7. Cannibal! The Musical (1993) 5
8. Ravenous (1999) 8*
9. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962) 6
10. Welcome to Blood City (1977) 6
11. Get Mean (1975) 7
12. Rango (2011) 7*
13. The Magnificent Seven (1960) 8
14. Lonesome Dove (1989) Leaving 8*
15. Lonesome Dove (1989) On the Trail 8*
16. Lonesome Dove (1989) The Plains 8*
17. Lonesome Dove (1989) Return 8*
18. The Shootist (1976) 7
19. Bubba Ho-Tep (2002) 7

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » May 18th, 2019, 1:38 pm

Two Burt Lancaster Westerns! Both having to do with racial themes that I bet made postwar audiences really uncomfortable. And in both cases, Burt was also producing and forced the director to go with a happier ending than he wanted.

39. Apache (1954)
This early Robert Aldrich effort has Burt, Jean Peters, and Charles Bronson (credited under his real name as Buchinsky) in redface. And that's about where most people lose interest, including me. There's a half decent story here full of stilted "Indian" mannerisms that are hard to watch. Still, this is a movie with native characters as sympathetic protagonists. I guess in 1954 that counted as progress.

40. The Unforgiven (1960)
It was somewhere about the fourth or fifth time a character in this movie said "red nigger" that I realized that the ostensible theme of Indians vs. ranchers just might be a metaphor for something else. It was a common trope for Westerns to provide commentary on contemporary issues disguised in 19th century storylines. For one example, many movies from 1965 to 1975 about native-settler warfare were making purposeful allusions to Vietnam. In The Unforgiven, the real concern is race relations and miscegenation, and the result is a melodramatic stew of resentment, vengeance, historical trauma, sexual tension, and very dysfunctional families. John Huston ultimately said he disliked this movie the most of all he had made. I don't think it's all that bad, though it's notable that for all the efforts for racial tolerance and enlightenment, the
SpoilerShow
"happy" ending only occurs when 30 or 40 Indians are killed.
The great cast includes Lancaster, Audrey Hepburn, Audie Murphy, Albert Salmi, Charles Bickford, Lillian Gish, John Saxon (in redface), and a great pre-No Joseph Wiseman in half-nutso mode.

Simba63
Donator

Post by Simba63 » May 18th, 2019, 2:26 pm

20. The Wonderful Country (1959) - 6/10

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » May 18th, 2019, 4:43 pm

41. 'Border River' / 1954, George Sherman / 7/10
42. Southwest Passage' / 1954, Ray Nazarro / 6.5/10
43. 'Kentucky Rifle' / 1955, Carl K. Hittleman / 5/10
44. 'Wichita' / 1955, Jacques Tourneur / 7/10
45. 'Westbound' / 1959, Budd Boetticher / 7/10
46. 'Bill il taciturno' / 'Django Kills Softly' / 1967, Massimo Pupillo / 7.5/10
47. 'Hang 'Em High' / 1968, Ted Post / 7/10
48. 'Arrivano Django e Sartana... è la fine' / 'Django and Sartana Are Coming... It's the End' / 1970, Demofilo Fidani, Diego Spataro / 6/10
49. 'Un hombre llamado Noon' / 'The Man Called Noon' / 1973, Peter Collinson / 7/10
50. 'Breakheart Pass' / 1975, Tom Gries / 7/10

That's all, folks!

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » May 18th, 2019, 5:44 pm

7. Matalo! (Canevari, 1970). Spaghetti Western on LSD.

SpoilerShow
1. Django the Bastard (Garrone, 1969)
2. Django, Kill... If you live, shoot! (Questi, 1967)
3. A Bullet for the General (Damiani, 1967)
4. Death Rides A Horse (Petroni, 1967)
5. Boot Hill (Colizzi, 1969)
6. Ringo, Face of Revenge (Caiano, 1967)
7. Matalo! (Canevari, 1970)
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » May 18th, 2019, 8:01 pm

59. Arizona (1940)

60. Two Rode Together (1961)

61. Arrivano Django e Sartana... è la fine (1970) a.k.a. Django and Sartana Are Coming... It's the End

62. Four Fast Guns (1960)

63. Das finstere Tal (2014) a.k.a. The Dark Valley

64. The Shadow of Chikara (1977)

65. El caballo del diablo (1975) a.k.a. The Devil's Horse

66. Great Day in the Morning (1956)

67-70. Gun Frontier (2002) Episode 1-12
DRAW!Show
1. From Hell to Texas (1958)
2. Jauja (2014)
3. Ride in the Whirlwind (1966)
4. Friendly Persuasion (1956)
5. Junior Bonner (1972)
6. Django (1966)
7. The Law and Jake Wade (1958)
8. Dead Birds (2004)
9. Apache (1954)
10. Track of the Cat (1954)
11. Heartland (1979)
12. The Bargain (1914)
13. The Unforgiven (1960)
14. Un uomo chiamato Apocalisse Joe (!970)
15. Aces Wild (1936)
16. No Name on the Bullet (1959)
17. Canyon Passage (1946)
18. Zachariah (1971)
19. Ramrod (1947)
20. Wild Mustang (1935)
21. Terror in a Texas Town (1958)
22. Son of Paleface (1952)
23. The Wonderful Country (1959)
24. Cowboys & Aliens (2011)
25. Valerie (1957)
26. Viva Maria! (1965)
27. Westward Ho (1935)
28. The Last Days of Frank and Jesse James (1986)
29. Devil's Doorway (1950)
30. Monte Walsh (1970)
31. Lonesome Cowboys (1968)
32. Oh, Susanna! (1936)
33. The Grey Fox (1982)
34. Tell Them Willie Boy Is Here (1969)
35. The Painted Hills (1951)
36. The Great K & A Train Robbery (1926)
37. W Django! (1971)
38. The Deadly Companions (1961)
39. Wild and Woolly (1917)
40. Cowboy (1958)
41-48. El Cazador de la Bruja (2007)
49. Across the Wide Missouri (1951)
50. Ed ora... raccomanda l'anima a Dio! (1968)
51. Slow West (2015)
52. Tennessee's Partner (1955)
53.The Hanging Tree (1959)
54. Vivo per la tua morte (1968)
55-56. Rough Riders (1997) E1-2
57. West and soda (1965)
58. Posse (1993)
59. Arizona (1940)
60. Two Rode Together (1961)
61. Arrivano Django e Sartana... è la fine (1970)
62. Four Fast Guns (1960)
63. Das finstere Tal (2014)
64. The Shadow of Chikara (1977)
65. El caballo del diablo (1975)
66. Great Day in the Morning (1956)
67-70. Gun Frontier (2002) Episode 1-12

psychotronicbeatnik
Donator

Post by psychotronicbeatnik » May 18th, 2019, 8:15 pm

42-51. Deadwood: Season Two (2005) 9/10 {619 min.}
52. Johnny Guitar (1954 / Nicholas Ray) 7+/10

On my Cayuse, let me wonder over yonder…Show
1. Border Patrol (1943 / Lesley Selander) FTV 7/10
2. Doomed Caravan (1941 / Lesley Selander) FTV 7/10
3. Fool’s Gold (1946 / George Archainbaud) FTV 7/10
4. Song of Old Wyoming (1945 / Robert Tansey) FTV 7+/10
5. Law of the Lash (1947 / Ray Taylor) FTV 6+/10
6. Forty Thieves (1944 / Lesley Selander) FTV 7+/10
7. Hidden Gold (1940 / Lesley Selander) FTV 7/10
8. The Arizona Kid (1939 / Joseph Kane) 7+/10
9. Young Buffalo Bill (1940 / Joseph Kane) FTV 7+/10
10. Man From Oklahoma (1945 / Frank McDonald) FTV 7/10
11. Return of the Lash (1947 / Ray Taylor) FTV 7/10
12. The Ranger and the Lady (1940 / Joseph Kane) FTV 7/10
13. Don’t Fence Me In (1945 / John English) 8/10
14. The Golden Stallion (1949 / William Witney) 9/10
15. Trigger, Jr. (1950 / William Witney) 8/10
16. My Pal Trigger (1946 / Frank McDonald, Yakima Canutt) 8/10
17. The Range Busters (1940 / S. Roy Luby) FTV 6/10
18. Lights of Old Santa Fe (1944 / Frank McDonald) FTV 6+/10
19. Riders of the Whistling Skull (1937 / Mack V. Wright) FTV 6+/10
20-29. Deadwood: Season One (2004) 10/10 {612 min.}
30. The Cheyenne Kid (1940 / Bernard B. Ray) FTV 6+/10
31. The Red Blood of Courage (1935 / John English) FTV 5/10
32. Condenados a vivir, aka: Cut-throats Nine (1972 / Joaquin Romero Marchant) FTV 6+/10
33. Stop Over in Hell (2016 / Victor Matellano) FTV 4/10
34. The Fighting Deputy (1937 / Sam Newfield) FTV 6/10
35. Rough-Riders’ Round-Up (1939 / Joseph Kane) 7+/10
36. Sheriff of Tombstone (1941 / Joseph Kane) FTV 7/10
37. Utah (1945 / John English) FTV 7/10
38. Billy the Kid Returns (1938 / Joseph Kane) 7+/10
39. The Carson City Kid (1940 / Joseph Kane) FTV 7/10
40. The Mysterious Rider (1942 / Sam Newfield) FTV 6+/10
41. Fugitive of the Plains (1943 / Sam Newfield) FTV 6/10

42-51. Deadwood: Season Two (2005) 9/10 {619 min.}
52. Johnny Guitar (1954 / Nicholas Ray) 7+/10

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » May 18th, 2019, 8:39 pm

West of ZanzibarShow
1. Friendly Persuasion (1956) - William Wyler 6/10
2. Apache Drums (1951) - Hugo Fregonese 7/10
3. La escondida AKA The Hidden One (1956) - Roberto Gavaldon 6/10
4. The Track of the Cat (1954) - William A. Wellman 7/10
5. The Homesman (2014) - Tommy Lee Jones 7/10
5. The Beguiled (2017) - Sofia Coppola 6/10
7. Oh, Susanna! (1936) - Joseph Kane 6/10
8. Apache (1954) - Robert Aldrich 5/10
9. The Missouri Breaks (1976) - Arthur Penn 6/10
10. The Unforgiven (1960) - John Huston 5/10
11. Une corde, un colt... AKA Cemetery Without Crosses (1969) - Robert Hossein 7/10
12. A Time for Dying (1969) - Budd Boetticher 4/10
13. Vamos a matar, compañeros AKA Companeros (1970) - Sergio Corbucci 6/10
14. Da uomo a uomo AKA Death Rides a Horse (1967) - Giulio Petroni 7/10
15. I giorni dell'ira AKA Day of Anger (1967) - Tonino Valerii 6/10
16. Una pistola per Ringo AKA A Pistol for Ringo (1965) - Duccio Tessari 6/10
17. Il ritorno di Ringo AKA The Return of Ringo (1965) - Duccio Tessari 7/10
18. Keoma AKA Django Rides Again (1976) - Enzo G. Castellari 3/10
19. Se sei vivo spara AKA Django Kill... If You Live, Shoot! (1967) - Giulio Questi 5/10
20. Corri uomo corri AKA Run, Man, Run (1968) - Sergio Sollima
21. Se incontri Sartana prega per la tua morte AKA If You Meet Sartana Pray for Your Death (1968) - Gianfranco Parollini
22. 10,000 dollari per un massacro AKA 10,000 Dollars for a Massacre (1967) - Romolo Guerrieri
23. Navajo Joe (1966) - Sergio Corbucci
24. E Dio disse a Caino... AKA And God Said to Cain (1970) - Antonio Margheriti
]25. Mannaja AKA A Man Called Blade (1977) - Sergio Martino 6/10
26. Una nuvola di polvere... un grido di morte... arriva Sartana AKA Light the Fuse...Sartana Is Coming (1970) - Anthony Ascott 4/10
27. Le colt cantarono la morte e fu... tempo di massacro AKA The Brute and the Beast [Massacre Time] (1966) - Lucio Fulci 7/10
28. California (1977) - Michele Lupo 4/10
29. Bandidos (1967) - Massimo Dallamano 6/10
30. Joko invoca Dio... e muori AKA Vengeance (1968) - Antonio Marheriti 5/10
31. Il grande duello AKA The Grand Duel [Storm Rider] (1972) - Giancarlo Santi 5/10
32. Il pistolero dell'Ave Maria AKA Gunman of Ave Maria [Forgotten Pistolero] (1969) - Ferdinando Baldi 6/10
33. ¡Mátalo! (1970) - Cesare Canevari 2/10
34. The Terror of Tiny Town (1938) - Sam Newfield 6/10
35. Vera Cruz (1954) - Robert Aldrich 8/10
36. Bad Company (1972) - Robert Benton 6/10
37. The Proposition (2005) - John Hillcoat 7/10
38. The Big Trail (1930) - Raoul Walsh, Louis R. Loeffler 6/10

ororama

Post by ororama » May 18th, 2019, 8:58 pm

6. I Shot Jesse James (1949) * 82 min.

SpoilerShow
1. A Pistol for Ringo (1965) * 99 min.
2. The Return of Ringo (1965) * 97 min.
3. The Light of Western Stars (1940) * 65 min.
4. The Bronze Buckaroo (1939) * 58 min.
5. Overland Mail: A Race with Disaster (1942) * 26 min.
Overland Mail: Flaming Havoc (1942) * 19 min.
Overland Mail: The Menacing Hand (1942) * 17 min.

*First time viewing.

VincentPrice

Post by VincentPrice » May 18th, 2019, 10:00 pm

9. Renegades of the West-1932: 7/10
SpoilerShow
1. Northwest Rangers-1942: 6/10
2, River's End-1940: 6/10
3, Sundown Trail-1931: 5/10
4. Fort Vengeance-1953: 6/10
5. The Wonderful Country-1959: 7/10
6. Apache-1954: 7/10
7. 3:10 to Yuma-1957: 9/10 (rewatch)
8. White Comanche-1968: 3/10

Simba63
Donator

Post by Simba63 » May 18th, 2019, 10:43 pm

21. Yellow Sky (1948) - 7/10

AB537

Post by AB537 » May 19th, 2019, 2:37 am

11. The Misfits (John Huston, 1961)

fori

Post by fori » May 19th, 2019, 3:36 am

Day 19 (+ end of Day 18)
77. ‘Doc’ (1971, Frank Perry)
78. Four Faces West (1948, Alfred E. Green)
79. The Raid (1954, Hugo Fregonese)

jdidaco

Post by jdidaco » May 19th, 2019, 4:00 am

"visions of the American West through Swedish eyes",

7. The McMasters (Alf Kjellin, 1970) 7/10
8. Zandy's Bride (Jan Troell, 1974) 8.5/10

SpoilerShow
1. The Reward (Serge Bourguignon, 1965) 8.5/10
2. Blue (Silvio Narizzano, 1968) 7/10
3. Tschetan, der Indianerjunge (Chetan, Indian Boy, Hark Bohm, 1973) 8/10
4. Eagle's Wing (Anthony Harvey, 1979) 7/10
5. Un esercito di 5 uomini (The 5-Man Army, Don Taylor & Italo Zingarelli, 1969) 7/10
6. The Great Northfield Minnesota Raid (Philip Kaufman, 1972) 8/10

sol
Donator

Post by sol » May 19th, 2019, 4:14 am

Once Upon a Time in the WestShow
1. Pale Rider (1985)
2. The Sun Shines Bright (1953)
3. The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (2005)
4. A Million Ways to Die in the West (2014)
5. The Shakiest Gun in the West (1968)
6. The Ridiculous 6 (2015)
7. The Proposition (2005)
8. The Long Riders (1980)
9. The Homesman (2014)
10. Blazing Saddles (1974) REVISION
11. Way Out West (1937) REVISION
12. Evil Roy Slade (1972)
13. The Burrowers (2008)
14. The Ugly Ones (1966)
15. The Toll Gate (1920)
16. Rio Conchos (1964)
17. Rio Grande (1950)
18. Rio Bravo (1959)
19. Rio Lobo (1970)

20. Go West (1925) REVISION

More impressive upon revision, the final 20 minutes of this Buster Keaton comedy are superior to everything before it, but the early bits mostly work. Some of the gags are predictable, but Keaton trying to force a smile during a crooked card game needs to be seen for itself and his friendship with the little cow is great. The film ends on a cute note too and some of the photography (on top of moving trains etc) is very ambitious for a film of its age.

21. Go West (1940)

It is fun to see the trio in a period setting here with some Groucho audience winking, and the brothers trio play off each other as well as expected. The supporting cast is less interesting and pretty much every scene without the trio falls flat without someone like Margaret Dumont to carry things through. The humour at the expense of Amerindian clothes and language is excruciating too, though Harpo does pleasantly bond with a tribe over his harp music.
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

shugs
Donator

Post by shugs » May 19th, 2019, 8:12 am

13. Cowboys & Aliens (Jon Favreau, 2011) - 3/10
As bland as it can get. Can't believe it had 5 writers working on it.

14. The Lone Ranger (Gore Verbinski, 2013) - 6/10
There are some great action set pieces and the characters are likeable and fun, but the movie suffers a lot from a jarring tonal shift in the last third or so when it goes from a lighthearted adventure to something darker.

15. The Ridiculous 6 (Frank Coraci, 2015) - 5.5/10
I've seen worse dumb comedies. Entertaining enough for a lazy Saturday evening.

16. The Magnificent Seven (John Sturges, 1960) - 7/10
SpoilerShow
1. The Proposition (John Hillcoat, 2005) - 6/10
2. The Outlaw Josey Wales (Clint Eastwood, 1976) - 8/10
3. Pale Rider (Clint Eastwood, 1985) - 6.5/10
4. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (Ethan Coen, Joel Coen, 1976) - 6/10
5. Bone Tomahawk (S. Craig Zahler, 2015) - 7/10
6. Il grande silenzio aka The Great Silence (Sergio Corbucci, 1968) - 9/10
7. Johnny Guitar (Nicholas Ray, 1954) - 6/10
8. Rio Bravo (Howard Hawks, 1959) - 9/10
9. Meek's Cutoff (Kelly Reichardt, 2010) - 7/10
10. Django (Sergio Corbucci, 1966) - 6/10
11. Dances with Wolves (Kevin Costner, 1990) - 7/10
12. Giant (George Stevens, 1956) - 8/10

shugs
Donator

Post by shugs » May 19th, 2019, 8:40 am

Howdy. 4 cowboys have joined us this week, for a total of 34 participants, 650 points total and 19.12 points on average per participant.

fori still leads the challenge with 79 points, followed closely behing by flavo5000 with 70 points and PUNQ on the third place with a whooping 60 points.

In total there have been 440 feature length films watched, 6 shorts and a bunch of miniseries, animes and Deadwood episodes which, unfortunately, I am still not tracking properly.

Here are the shorts that have been watched so far, as they will not be included in the subsequent stats.
ShortsShow
ShortDirectorYearCountry
Rowdy AnnAl Christie1919USA
Arie prerieJirí Trnka1949Czechoslovakia
Morgan Kane: Døden er en ensom jegerFrank Iversen2001Norway
Wells Fargo DaysMack V. Wright1944USA
Roaring GunsJean Negulesco1944USA
Trial by TriggerWilliam C. McGann1944USA
The most watched movie so far is Robert Aldrich's 'Apache', with 6 different watches.
Most Watched MoviesShow
MovieDirectorYearCountryWatches
ApacheRobert Aldrich1954USA6
Da uomo a uomoGiulio Petroni1967Italy5
The Ballad of Buster ScruggsEthan Coen, Joel Coen2018USA4
Se sei vivo sparaGiulio Questi1967Italy, Spain4
Corri uomo corriSergio Sollima1968Italy, France4
Cowboys & AliensJon Favreau2011USA, India3
The Missouri BreaksArthur Penn1976USA3
CowboyDelmer Daves1958USA3
Two Rode TogetherJohn Ford1961USA3
The PropositionJohn Hillcoat2005Australia, UK3
Pale RiderClint Eastwood1985USA3
Vamos a matar, compañerosSergio Corbucci1970Italy, West Germany, Spain3
Una pistola per RingoDuccio Tessari1965Italy, Spain3
Oh, Susanna!Joseph Kane1936USA3
The UnforgivenJohn Huston1960USA3
Across the Wide MissouriWilliam A. Wellman1951USA3
The Wonderful CountryRobert Parrish1959USA, Mexico3
Rancho NotoriousFritz Lang1952USA3
The Tall TBudd Boetticher1957USA3
The Long RidersWalter Hill1980USA3
Rio ConchosGordon Douglas1964USA3
The Deadly CompanionsSam Peckinpah1961USA3
The MisfitsJohn Huston1961USA3
From Hell to TexasHenry Hathaway1958USA3
3:10 to YumaDelmer Daves1957USA3
Friendly PersuasionWilliam Wyler1956USA3
Great Day in the MorningJacques Tourneur1956USA3
Rio BravoHoward Hawks1959USA2
Gangsters of the FrontierElmer Clifton1944USA2
DjangoSergio Corbucci1966Italy, Spain2
The Ridiculous 6Frank Coraci2015USA2
Ride in the WhirlwindMonte Hellman1966USA2
The Magnificent SevenJohn Sturges1960USA, Philippines2
The PalefaceNorman Z. McLeod1948USA2
Johnny GuitarNicholas Ray1954USA2
RamrodAndré De Toth1947USA2
Track of the CatWilliam A. Wellman1954USA2
Broken ArrowDelmer Daves1950USA2
One-Eyed JacksMarlon Brando1961USA2
The Law and Jake WadeJohn Sturges1958USA2
Man of the WestAnthony Mann1958USA2
Westward the WomenWilliam A. Wellman1951USA2
Support Your Local Sheriff!Burt Kennedy1969USA2
Arrivano Django e Sartana... è la fineDemofilo Fidani, Diego Spataro1970Italy2
Hang’em HighTed Post1968USA2
Junior BonnerSam Peckinpah1972USA2
Son of PalefaceFrank Tashlin1952USA2
HeartlandRichard Pearce1979USA2
The Big TrailRaoul Walsh, Louis R. Loeffler1930USA2
La escondidaRoberto Gavaldón1956Mexico2
The HomesmanTommy Lee Jones2014USA, France2
Il ritorno di RingoDuccio Tessari1965Italy, Spain2
Navajo JoeSergio Corbucci1966Italy, Spain2
Il pistolero dell’Ave MariaFerdinando Baldi1969Italy, Spain2
¡Mátalo!Cesare Canevari1970Italy, Spain2
Forty GunsSamuel Fuller1957USA2
Man in the WildernessRichard C. Sarafian1971USA2
Les frères SistersJacques Audiard2018France, Spain, Romania, Belgium, USA2
Quién sabe?Damiano Damiani1967Italy2
The Sun Shines BrightJohn Ford1953USA2
The Arizona KidJoseph Kane1939USA2
Ride LonesomeBudd Boetticher1959USA2
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert FordAndrew Dominik2007USA, Canada, UK2
Four Faces WestAlfred E. Green1948USA2
In Old ArizonaIrving Cummings1928USA2
Dead BirdsAlex Turner2004USA2
West and SodaBruno Bozzetto1965Italy2
The BargainReginald Barker1914USA2
Canyon PassageJacques Tourneur1946USA2
Terror in a Texas TownJoseph H. Lewis1958USA2
Devil’s DoorwayAnthony Mann1950USA2
Tell Them Willie Boy Is HereAbraham Polonsky1969USA2
Ed ora... raccomanda l'anima a Dio!Demofilo Fidani1968Italy, Iran2
Open RangeKevin Costner2003USA2
Go WestEdward Buzzell1940USA2
CaliforniaMichele Lupo1977Italy, Spain2
Le colt cantarono la morte e fu... tempo di massacroLucio Fulci1966Italy2
Joko invoca Dio... e muoriAntonio Margheriti1968Italy, West Germany2
The Return of Frank JamesFritz Lang1940USA2
The Yellow Rose of TexasJoseph Kane1944USA2
El kárate, el Colt y el impostorAntonio Margheriti1974Spain, Italy, Hong Kong, USA2
My Darling ClementineJohn Ford1946USA2
Western UnionFritz Lang1941USA2
ValerieGerd Oswald1957USA2
Forty ThievesLesley Selander1944USA2
'Doc’Frank Perry1971USA2
Stranger on HorsebackJacques Tourneur1955USA2
Lights of Old Santa FeFrank McDonald1944USA2
Se incontri Sartana prega per la tua morteGianfranco Parolini1968Italy, West Germany2
Buffallo BillWilliam A. Wellman1944USA2
Decision at SundownBudd Boetticher1957USA2
The most watched director, is no longer Sergio Corbucci, but Joseph Kane, with 18 watches.
Most Watched DirectorsShow
DirectorWatches
Joseph Kane18
John Ford16
Budd Boetticher11
Sergio Corbucci11
William A. Wellman10
Sam Newfield10
Anthony Mann10
Delmer Daves10
Sam Peckinpah9
Lesley Selander8
Raoul Walsh8
Jacques Tourneur8
Robert Aldrich8
Fritz Lang7
Elmer Clifton6
Giulio Petroni6
John Sturges6
Gordon Douglas6
Antonio Margheriti6
John Huston6
Sergio Sollima5
Henry Hathaway5
Allan Dwan5
Michael Curtiz5
Arthur Penn5
Duccio Tessari5
André De Toth5
Lambert Hillyer5
John English5
Demofilo Fidani5
William Witney4
Don Siegel4
Frank McDonald4
Ray Taylor4
George Archainbaud4
William Wyler4
Harry L. Fraser4
Clint Eastwood4
Ethan Coen4
Joel Coen4
Samuel Fuller4
Gerd Oswald4
Walter Hill4
Robert Emmett Tansey4
Ferdinando Baldi4
Giulio Questi4
Robert Parrish3
Jon Favreau3
John P. McCarthy3
Joseph H. Lewis3
John Hillcoat3
Lewis D. Collins3
King Vidor3
Monte Hellman3
Robert N. Bradbury3
Gianfranco Parolini3
Nicholas Ray3
Howard Hawks3
Tommy Lee Jones3
Edward L. Cahn3
Ray Enright3
Kevin Costner3
Giuliano Carnimeo2
René Goscinny2
Enzo G. Castellari2
Richard Thorpe2
Andrew Dominik2
Henry King2
Edward Buzzell2
Irving Cummings2
John Farrow2
Frank Perry2
Frank Coraci2
Lucio Fulci2
Burt Kennedy2
Ted Post2
Diego Spataro2
Sergio Leone2
Harry S. Webb2
Bruno Bozzetto2
Marlon Brando2
Norman Z. McLeod2
S. Roy Luby2
Abraham Polonsky2
Damiano Damiani2
Frank Tashlin2
Reginald Barker2
Alex Turner2
Richard Pearce2
Michele Lupo2
Richard C. Sarafian2
Gore Verbinski2
Alfred E. Green2
Giuseppe Colizzi2
Ford Beebe2
Hugo Fregonese2
Louis R. Loeffler2
Roberto Gavaldón2
William Beaudine2
Jacques Audiard2
Edward F. Cline2
Lew Landers2
B. Reeves Eason2
Lloyd Bacon2
Cesare Canevari2
Spencer Gordon Bennet2
And yes, the most watched genre is still western. :D
Most Watched GenresShow
GenreWatches
Western561
Drama186
Romance137
Action126
Adventure105
Comedy91
Music38
Crime31
War26
Thriller26
Mystery22
History20
Biography20
Musical19
Horror18
Family10
Animation7
Sci-Fi5
Fantasy3
The United States dominate the challenge as the most watched country, but there have been some new interesting additions this week, like Austria and Greece.
Most Watched CountriesShow
CountryWatches
USA459
Italy90
Spain48
France22
West Germany15
UK14
Mexico14
Canada6
India3
Belgium3
Australia3
Brazil3
Philippines2
Germany2
Iran2
Hong Kong2
Romania2
Denmark1
Argentina1
Netherlands1
New Zealand1
Austria1
Greece1
Yugoslavia1
Czech Republic1
Hungary1
Ireland1
Monaco1
The battle between the years with most watches is no longer between 1968 and 1940, thanks to PUNQ and his focus on 1944 westerns.
Most Watched YearsShow
YearWatches
And thanks to PUNQ the most popular decades are now the 50s, followed by the 40s and closely behind by the 60s.
Watches distribution per decadeShow
That's all folks. As always, feedback and suggestions are most welcome. :cheers:

sol
Donator

Post by sol » May 19th, 2019, 9:12 am

shugs wrote:
May 19th, 2019, 8:40 am
The most watched director, is no longer Sergio Corbucci, but Joseph Kane, with 18 watches.
Wow, I have never even heard of Joseph Kane before. I assuming that's the PUNQ factor weighing in there?

Thanks as always for the detailed stats! :party:
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

shugs
Donator

Post by shugs » May 19th, 2019, 9:45 am

sol wrote:
May 19th, 2019, 9:12 am
shugs wrote:
May 19th, 2019, 8:40 am
Wow, I have never even heard of Joseph Kane before. I assuming that's the PUNQ factor weighing in there?
psychotronikbeatnik looks to be the most avid Kane watcher this challenge.

UserKane Watches
psychotronicbeatnik7
PUNQ4
RogerTheMovieManiac882
India Istanbul2
flavo50001
weirdboy1
Nathan Treadway1

sol wrote:
May 19th, 2019, 9:12 am
Thanks as always for the detailed stats! :party:
Much obliged. :cowbow:

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » May 19th, 2019, 11:18 am

8. The Mercenary / Il mercenario (Sergio Corbucci, 1968) 7

SpoilerShow
1. The Sisters Brothers / Les Frères Sisters (Jacques Audiard, 2018) 8+
2. Apache (Robert Aldrich, 1954) 5+
3. McLintock! (Andrew V. McLaglen, 1963) 6-
4. Comes a Horseman (Alan J. Pakula, 1978) 6
5. The Magnificent Seven (Antoine Fuqua , 2016) 5
6. Hondo (John Farrow, 1953) 6
7. Stagecoach (John Ford, 1939) [Rewatch] 8>8-
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage

sol
Donator

Post by sol » May 19th, 2019, 11:50 am

Once Upon a Time in the WestShow
1. Pale Rider (1985)
2. The Sun Shines Bright (1953)
3. The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (2005)
4. A Million Ways to Die in the West (2014)
5. The Shakiest Gun in the West (1968)
6. The Ridiculous 6 (2015)
7. The Proposition (2005)
8. The Long Riders (1980)
9. The Homesman (2014)
10. Blazing Saddles (1974) REVISION
11. Way Out West (1937) REVISION
12. Evil Roy Slade (1972)
13. The Burrowers (2008)
14. The Ugly Ones (1966)
15. The Toll Gate (1920)
16. Rio Conchos (1964)
17. Rio Grande (1950)
18. Rio Bravo (1959)
19. Rio Lobo (1970)
20. Go West (1925) REVISION
21. Go West (1940)

22. Maverick (1994)

Mel Gibson does well here with a role that requires him to be agile and witty, while James Garner is a lot of fun as a lawman who temporarily teams up with him (a connection very interesting since Garner played the Gibson role in the original show). With an able supporting cast including Graham Greene as a down-to-earth Amerindian, the film has enough highs to make up for the occasional lulls during Gibson's episodic journey, which culminates in an intense poker match climax. The film sadly falls apart after the climax though as the filmmakers lay out twist after twist after twist.
Image Image Image

ororama

Post by ororama » May 19th, 2019, 11:54 am

7. Django Kill... If You Live, Shoot! (1967) * 117 min.

SpoilerShow
1. A Pistol for Ringo (1965) * 99 min.
2. The Return of Ringo (1965) * 97 min.
3. The Light of Western Stars (1940) * 65 min.
4. The Bronze Buckaroo (1939) * 58 min.
5. Overland Mail: A Race with Disaster (1942) * 26 min.
Overland Mail: Flaming Havoc (1942) * 19 min.
Overland Mail: The Menacing Hand (1942) * 17 min.
6. I Shot Jesse James (1949) * 82 min.

*First time viewing.

frbrown

Post by frbrown » May 19th, 2019, 6:36 pm

3. White Sun of the Desert (1970)

Which gets me Gold on the IMDb Western list

SpoilerShow
1. The Round-Up (1966)
2. The Man from Colorado (1949)
3. White Sun of the Desert (1970)

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » May 19th, 2019, 8:43 pm

51. 'High Noon' / 1952, Fred Zinnemann / 10/10
52. 'The Naked Spur' / 1953, Anthony Mann / 7.5 or 8/10
53. 'Black Horse Canyon' / 1954, Jesse Hibbs / 6 or 6.5/10
54. 'The Broken Star' / 1956, Lesley Selander / 7.5/10
55. 'Comanche' / 1956, George Sherman / 7/10
56. 'The Gunfight at Dodge City' / 1959, Joseph M. Newman / 7/10
57. 'The Hanging Tree' / 1959, Delmer Daves, Karl Malden, Vincent Sherman / 8.5 or 9/10
58. 'Showdown' / 1963, R.G. Springsteen / 8/10
59. 'La notte dei serpenti' / 'Night of the Serpent' / 1969, Giulio Petroni / 7/10
60. 'C'è Sartana... vendi la pistola e comprati la bara!' / 'Sartana's Here... Trade Your Pistol for a Coffin' / 1970, Giuliano Carnimeo / 8/10

That's all, folks!

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » May 19th, 2019, 10:53 pm

14. Il ritorno di Ringo [The Return of Ringo] (1965): 6.5 - Although it shares the complete same cast and crew as the previous one and the hero is also called Ringo, this has nothing to do with the previous movie. It's a less lighthearted, more somber movie and also more action heavy.
15. Navajo Joe (1966): 6.8
16. Texas, addio [Texas, Adios] (1966): 7.2 - Decent spaghetti Western in which a revelation in the second half adds an interesting layer to the so-far standard revenge plot.
17. The Shooting (1966): 6.5
18. Ride in the Whirlwind (1965): 6.8
19. Yankee (1966) (rewatch): 8.5 > 6.5 - The only spaghetti-western Tinto Brass directed and his directing is the main reason to see this otherwise very mediocre entry in the genre. With the use of close ups, disorientating angles and bright lights he gives the movie an absurdist vibe.
20. Django (1966) (rewatch): 8.5 > 8.0 - Corbucci said to Burt Reynolds about Navajo Joe he wanted to beat Leone at the box-office by having a higher kill count, and he clearly didn't deviate from that idea when making Django... I didn't keep count, but this has to have the highest body count of any Westerns I seen this month. Of course the body count never was what made the Leone Westerns successful. What did was the directing. And what Django makes one of the best non-Leone spaghetti-westerns is also the strong directing by Corbucci. The overal present nihilisme also lifts it up from it peers.
21. Se sei vivo spara [Django, Kill... If You Live, Shoot!] (1967): 7.5 - Unusual spaghetti-western that starts of good with a surprise twist. It keeps being interesting because of the weird and mysterious vibe it has. It also have a surprising subversive gay undertones. Setting it apart from the standard. Unfortunate in the last 30 min the movie loses momentum when trying to bring all the various plot threads into a coherent ending, and not really succeeding in that.
22. Preparati la bara! [Django, Prepare a Coffin/Viva Django] (1968): 5.8 - Terence Hill looks an awful lot like Nero and does his upmost best in replacing him, unfortunate for him he has to do so in an very mediocre entry in the genre.
They Shoot Pictures with Horses, Don't They?Show
1. The Big Trail (1930): 8.2
2. Broken Arrow (1950): 8.0
3. Rawhide (1951): 7.8
4. 3:10 to Yuma (1957): 8.0
5. The Tall T (1957): 7.8
6. Decision at Sundown (1957): 7.8
7. Buchanan Rides Alone (1958): 7.8
8. Ride Lonesome (1959): 7.8
9. Comanche Station (1960): 7.8
10. One-Eyed Jacks (1961): 7.8
11. Two Rode Together (1961): 7.5
12. Warlock (1959): 7.5
13. Una pistola per Ringo [ A Pistol for Ringo] (1965): 6.5
Bold titles are only for readability.

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » May 19th, 2019, 11:04 pm

Great stats, shugs. I will try to update next time before the weeks done, so my entries can also be taken into account for that week.

fori

Post by fori » May 19th, 2019, 11:30 pm

Day 20 (+ end of Day 19)
80. Maverick (1994, Richard Donner)
81. Apache Drums (1951, Hugo Fregonese)
82. Backlash (1956, John Sturges)
83. $100,000 for Ringo (1965, Alberto de Martino)

AB537

Post by AB537 » May 19th, 2019, 11:33 pm

12. The Lusty Men (Nicholas Ray, 1952)

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » May 20th, 2019, 12:35 am

41. Oh, Susanna! (1936)
This was my first Gene Autry movie, and I saw it only because it was in the BFI list. And I understand that the BFI list is going for a broad survey, and Gene Autry movies (and singing cowboy movies, generally) were a big part of the genre. But boy was this a bore.

42. Vamos a Matar, Companeros (1970)
Now this is more like it. In the subgenre of Zapata Westerns, I'd put this one step below A Bullet for the General and maybe two steps below Duck, You Sucker, but far above anything else I've seen. This has a great Morricone score, a plot that makes more sense than most Spaghettis, and a highly enjoyable cast: Tomas Milian, Franco Nero, Fernando Rey, and a wooden-handed Jack Palance all in the same movie. Milian, who always seems to play the platonic ideal of a picaresque hero, dials back his histrionics a bit, which helps. And based on this and Django, I don't see why Nero doesn't shoot a machine gun in every movie he makes.

Simba63
Donator

Post by Simba63 » May 20th, 2019, 12:59 am

22. Pursued (1947) - 7/10

sheikofhyrule

Post by sheikofhyrule » May 20th, 2019, 5:20 am

09. Ride Lonesome (1959) 8/10
10. The Unsinkable Molly Brown (1964) 5/10
SpoilerShow
01. Silver Queen (1942) 6/10
02. Golden Girl (1951) 7/10
03. Cimarron (1960) 4/10
04. Devil's Doorway (1950) 8/10
05. Tulsa (1949) 6/10
06. Four Faces West (1948) 8/10
07. The Tin Star (1957) 8/10
08. Saratoga Trunk (1945) 7/10
09. Ride Lonesome (1959) 8/10
10. The Unsinkable Molly Brown (1964) 5/10

jeroeno

Post by jeroeno » May 20th, 2019, 6:20 am

21. A Time for Dying (1969)
22. Gun Lords of Stirrup Basin (1937)
23. The Man From Utah (1934)
24. Law Men (1944)
25. The Star Packer (1934)
26. Tennessee's Partner (1955)

cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage » May 20th, 2019, 8:26 am

06. Barquero, by Gordon Douglas (1970) 7,5/10

Entertaining confrontation between Lee van Cleef as a stubborn boatman, and Warren Oates as a bandit under the influence... Not great, but quite nice to watch.
A fistful of westerns (05)Show
01. Open Range, by Kevin Costner (2003) 8/10
02. Hombre, by Martin Ritt (1967) 8/10
03. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, Joel & Ethan Coen (2018) 8/10
04. Terror in a Texas Town, by Lewis Milestone (1958) 7,5/10
05. Se sei vivo spara, by Giulio Questi (1967) 5/10

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » May 20th, 2019, 4:48 pm

West of ZanzibarShow
1. Friendly Persuasion (1956) - William Wyler 6/10
2. Apache Drums (1951) - Hugo Fregonese 7/10
3. La escondida AKA The Hidden One (1956) - Roberto Gavaldon 6/10
4. The Track of the Cat (1954) - William A. Wellman 7/10
5. The Homesman (2014) - Tommy Lee Jones 7/10
5. The Beguiled (2017) - Sofia Coppola 6/10
7. Oh, Susanna! (1936) - Joseph Kane 6/10
8. Apache (1954) - Robert Aldrich 5/10
9. The Missouri Breaks (1976) - Arthur Penn 6/10
10. The Unforgiven (1960) - John Huston 5/10
11. Une corde, un colt... AKA Cemetery Without Crosses (1969) - Robert Hossein 7/10
12. A Time for Dying (1969) - Budd Boetticher 4/10
13. Vamos a matar, compañeros AKA Companeros (1970) - Sergio Corbucci 6/10
14. Da uomo a uomo AKA Death Rides a Horse (1967) - Giulio Petroni 7/10
15. I giorni dell'ira AKA Day of Anger (1967) - Tonino Valerii 6/10
16. Una pistola per Ringo AKA A Pistol for Ringo (1965) - Duccio Tessari 6/10
17. Il ritorno di Ringo AKA The Return of Ringo (1965) - Duccio Tessari 7/10
18. Keoma AKA Django Rides Again (1976) - Enzo G. Castellari 3/10
19. Se sei vivo spara AKA Django Kill... If You Live, Shoot! (1967) - Giulio Questi 5/10
20. Corri uomo corri AKA Run, Man, Run (1968) - Sergio Sollima
21. Se incontri Sartana prega per la tua morte AKA If You Meet Sartana Pray for Your Death (1968) - Gianfranco Parollini
22. 10,000 dollari per un massacro AKA 10,000 Dollars for a Massacre (1967) - Romolo Guerrieri
23. Navajo Joe (1966) - Sergio Corbucci
24. E Dio disse a Caino... AKA And God Said to Cain (1970) - Antonio Margheriti
]25. Mannaja AKA A Man Called Blade (1977) - Sergio Martino 6/10
26. Una nuvola di polvere... un grido di morte... arriva Sartana AKA Light the Fuse...Sartana Is Coming (1970) - Anthony Ascott 4/10
27. Le colt cantarono la morte e fu... tempo di massacro AKA The Brute and the Beast [Massacre Time] (1966) - Lucio Fulci 7/10
28. California (1977) - Michele Lupo 4/10
29. Bandidos (1967) - Massimo Dallamano 6/10
30. Joko invoca Dio... e muori AKA Vengeance (1968) - Antonio Marheriti 5/10
31. Il grande duello AKA The Grand Duel [Storm Rider] (1972) - Giancarlo Santi 5/10
32. Il pistolero dell'Ave Maria AKA Gunman of Ave Maria [Forgotten Pistolero] (1969) - Ferdinando Baldi 6/10
33. ¡Mátalo! (1970) - Cesare Canevari 2/10
34. The Terror of Tiny Town (1938) - Sam Newfield 6/10
35. Vera Cruz (1954) - Robert Aldrich 8/10
36. Bad Company (1972) - Robert Benton 6/10
37. The Proposition (2005) - John Hillcoat 7/10
38. The Big Trail (1930) - Raoul Walsh, Louis R. Loeffler 6/10
39. The Beguiled (1971) - Don Siegel 7/10
40. Calamity Jane (1953) - David Butler 6/10
41. The Last Wagon (1956) - Delmer Daves 6/10

The final five minutes of The Last Wagon are so bad that it sours what would otherwise be a great Western. They should have just cut that entire scene from the film.