Welcome to the ICM Forum.
Check out our Magazine

If you notice any issues please post in the Q&A thread. Email issue should be fixed. If you encounter this issue, contact PeacefulAnarchy
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 60 released October 1st: IMDb vs Letterboxd)
iCinema Magazine: WE ARE LIVE! (We just need more content)
ICMForum Film Festival 2022: Mon Nov 14 - Dec 12
Polls: Music Videos (Results), 2010 (Sep 25th), Senegal (Sep 30th), 500<400 (Oct 3rd), Japan (Oct 31st)
Challenges: Horror, Indian Subcontinent, Each Year
About: Welcome All New Members, Terms of Use, Q&A

The Film Lounge

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Of course I'm envious, but as I still have most of his filmography to go through, not TOO envious. He unfortunately has a lot of strikes against him in terms of getting his films seen by more than the tiniest and most hardcore of audiences; long and slow and b/w is bad enough, but add to that the fact that they're from the Philippines - not Japan or France of another well-known cinematic landscape - and that they tend to be depressing and about a depressing history, well... hard to imagine demand increasing, alas. There are plenty of much more accessible filmmakers whose works are still on the margins, including many of Diaz' Filipino contemporaries and the previous generation's greats.

But hey, WE know about them, and that's what counts, right?
It was the truth, vivid and monstrous, that all the while he had waited the wait was itself his portion..
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

OldAle1 wrote: September 19th, 2022, 11:32 pm Of course I'm envious, but as I still have most of his filmography to go through, not TOO envious. He unfortunately has a lot of strikes against him in terms of getting his films seen by more than the tiniest and most hardcore of audiences; long and slow and b/w is bad enough, but add to that the fact that they're from the Philippines - not Japan or France of another well-known cinematic landscape - and that they tend to be depressing and about a depressing history, well... hard to imagine demand increasing, alas. There are plenty of much more accessible filmmakers whose works are still on the margins, including many of Diaz' Filipino contemporaries and the previous generation's greats.

But hey, WE know about them, and that's what counts, right?
I'm happy to have discovered him, even if most of the rest of the world isn't on board. Of the three I've seen so far, this new one is my favorite. I'm very interested in watching The Woman Who Left soon, because I have the Blu-Ray from a random Kino Lorber sale.
🏳️‍⚧️ (she/her)
JLG wrote: Photography is truth ... and cinema is truth 24 times a second.
First to check CODA (2021)
Good_Will_Harding

Post by Good_Will_Harding »

The newest film by M Night Shyamalan has a trailer, his second adaptation in a row.

Torgo

Post by Torgo »

I know we have a few Nope fans around, but even if you didn't enjoy it, that's a pretty cool set shot!:
https://www.reddit.com/r/interestingasf ... eles_nope/
Good_Will_Harding

Post by Good_Will_Harding »

Damn, that's cool.

Not for nothing, but it's interesting how about half of that film takes place during nighttime, and yet the cinematography and lighting are still more dynamic and varied than the majority of other mainstream American fare released these days, at least of a similar budget and scale - not to mention that the look of the film isn't washed out and color graded in that grimy blue-grey trend that comes up around here. It's a low bar, but that sci-fi/Western hybrid clears it quite well. :thumbsup:
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

I could bump this part of the thread from June all day long.
Lonewolf2003 wrote: June 2nd, 2022, 11:37 pm
Torgo wrote: June 2nd, 2022, 6:46 pm Can't wait for certain users to mourn the hypothetical chance for experimental films and cerebral works to enchant the masses instead of blockbusters and romcoms. Because it works so praisably with music, literature, paintings, and any other form of art. ... oh wait! :rolleyes:

The whole blockbuster/target audience topic comes up from time to time and it would easily fill a separate thread by now. Are there any articles or statistics to back this? Had the amazingly stupid macho action films of the mid-80s to mid-90s another audience than very stupid action films of today (say, Michael Bay or F&F, not Marvel)? Did Indy, Jurassic Park and Independence Day attract completely other demographics than National Treasure, Avatar, Inception and MM Fury Road, and if so: because of the content of those films themselves or a change in the people who regularly go into theaters?
Hm, hm.
That’s not the question. The question is if there was more room (audience and interest by studios in making them) for other kinds of movies to exist next to stupid macho action films of the mid-80s to mid-90s and blockbusters Indy, Jurassic Park and Independence Day than the very stupid action films of today and blockbusters like National Treasure, Avatar, Inception and MM Fury Road.
And than mostly other films in terms of middle budgets films aimed at people wanting a few more braincells to work than those stupid action films, without faring directly into diehard auteurist cinema and festival films.

I’m not saying this is so, I’m not that pessimistic as some and do think that people making this argument have a tendency to overlook evidence to the contrary, but this is the question raised by OldAle (and many since the ever growing dominance of Disney in the filmmarket)
.. because I've been thinking about it, often. (Because the point Ale actually made was stronger than I instantly realized, it is sad.)

So watch this snippet of no one less than Anthony Mackie (of MCU fame) criticizing the cannibalization of 2020's mainstream cinema.
https://www.reddit.com/r/interestingasf ... _of_movie/

There are some good comments below the 2-min-video, if you don't mind a little scrolling and reading.
Also: GOONIES
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

What does it say about me when I kinda wish for Rob Zombie's Munsters remake to fail?
Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity »

Torgo wrote: September 28th, 2022, 12:08 am What does it say about me when I kinda wish for Rob Zombie's Munsters remake to fail?
What does it mean that you want something to fail that never had a fighting chance to begin with? The original 'The Munsters' show was utterly trivial entertainment and a fluke of its time. A soap opera in monster clothing, developed to compete against the big dumb upcoming show by a rival TV station. That show was called 'The Addams Family', and 'The Munsters" premiered in the very same month. It did well, but wasn't a particularly great success, canceled after two seasons. Same as 'The Addams Family', for that matter. But they kept playing reruns of 'The Munsters' incessantly and people kept watching it, so it became a cult hit. This didn't make the show any more profound. It's dumb fodder for people who live their life in perpetual Halloween. "Hey, look at those outsiders, they are just too cookie for society to accept, this ITHH THOO MEE! I'm, like, the normal one, the others are the crazy ones, for being so conformist, or something." It's utter camp playing with little more that horror-movie stereotypes, a show for your goth-types, and your Rob Zombie types.

Personally I have written off Zombie at the very latest after his latest film, which was (3-)hella awful, as was his output in general for at least the past decade (in the field of film)...and his 'The Munsters' film is cheap and dumb and not funny... but I kind of liked it. I feel he stayed true to the original show and if anything he elevated it. Three quarters of it are a prequel back in Transylvania that probably nobody ever asked for. It's just Zombie fully indulging in his Universal Studios monsters kink, which is super-indulgent. Count Orlok dancing to disco beats might be fun, Frankenstein creating monster Herman might feel too drawn out, the wolf man with the whole gypsy fortune teller thing might feel forced, out of place, and the source of no entertainment whatsoever. But it's this resolutely single-mindedness that makes all the things that fall flat (of which there are many) quite easily forgivable. As a story as whole, fuck this thing. It's a fucking "Munsters" film, a bad show becoming a film almost 60 years later, what do you expect, something more than loose a collection of skits, and you think the other people are the crazy ones?

Plus, Sheri Moon, I wouldn't call this her best performance, but maybe the only performance where I would say she disappeared into her role, and I guess that's something. The other two main characters of the family I also think seamlessly slipped into the original characters, unlike all those TV remakes and knock-offs and sequels and spin-offs and whateveres where all the actors looked like an amateur theater production of 'The Munsters', worse than any imitator you would find walking around in front of the Hollywood Chinese Theater doing their pantomime and posing with tourists for a selfie.

And to get back to the "no fighting chance to begin with" conceit...who paid to see this film? No real theatrical release to speak of, apparently. Today or yesterday was its BR release, but it showed up on pirating sites over a week ago (which is how I saw it). Seriously, who paid to see this? Yet Zombie, no matter how cheap the result might look, clearly did put a lot into the sets and costumes.
We do not have to understand new things, but by dint of patience, effort and method to come to understand with our whole self the truths which are evident.Image
LETTERBOXD | MUBI | IMDb | tumblr.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Thanks PdA, I've already consumed your answer, but didn't find the time the answer.

Let's switch to Blonde for a minute, which turns out to be the most polarizing feature of the year. :wacko: Who would've thought before?
Previous discussion on it took place in cinewest's hijacked post on the Venice Film Festival; look there for review bombing on LB et cetera.
Even on IMDb, the picture remains highly controversial - but judging from the reviews, with many from 1 to 3 stars and other from 8 to 10, it's coming from legit viewers who .. well, loved or hated it. Currently at 6.2 @2k votes and RT and Metacritic both at 50.

I actually have to watch 3-hour Bollywood cheesefests now, not 3-hour Netflix exploitation, but let's see what my weekend might bring ..
👩🏼
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Torgo wrote: March 30th, 2022, 6:48 pm
Torgo wrote: February 7th, 2022, 7:57 pm It's safe to say he reached a completely new low. The Razzies created an individual category just for him: "WORST PERFORMANCE by BRUCE WILLIS in a 2021 MOVIE". No joke.
https://www.thewrap.com/razzie-nominati ... e-musical/
And after that, it will be time to say goodbye to Bruce. What a tragic end to a career. :mellow:
Spoiler
->
https://www.indiewire.com/2022/03/bruce ... 234712876/
You remember all of our Bruce Willis chatter ..

Well now look at this.
https://collider.com/bruce-willis-sells ... -deepcake/

The Congress, anyone?
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Torgo wrote: September 30th, 2022, 12:56 am The Congress, anyone?
Exactly what I thought of when someone posted it on social media earlier.
🏳️‍⚧️ (she/her)
JLG wrote: Photography is truth ... and cinema is truth 24 times a second.
First to check CODA (2021)
outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

That is quite literally the plot of The Congress. :/

A lie ain't a 'side of the story.' It's just a lie.
Silga

Post by Silga »

The biggest in scale and budget (5 million euros) Lithuanian film Vesper opens today worldwide in theaters and VOD, distributed by IFC Films. It had a world premier at Karlovy Vary festival.

I met the director Kristina Buozyte in San Sebastian Film Festival when she presented her previous film Vanishing Waves (featuring a cameo by Sarunas Bartas, btw). She seemed very passionate about film-making and I'm glad that she was able to find the funding and co-producers in France and Belgium to help her with this project.

I plan to watch it soon, but a word of mouth since the early screenings were mostly positive.

It stars Eddie Marsan and a young actress Raffiella Chapman. It was filmed here in Vilnius and around.

Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Vesper would fly under my radar due to its size, but in fact I came across the movie cover a couple of months ago and had to save it to my hard drive. It's pretty cool!
Spoiler
hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu »

Silga wrote: September 30th, 2022, 1:18 pm The biggest in scale and budget (5 million euros) Lithuanian film Vesper opens today worldwide in theaters and VOD, distributed by IFC Films. It had a world premier at Karlovy Vary festival.

I met the director Kristina Buozyte in San Sebastian Film Festival when she presented her previous film Vanishing Waves (featuring a cameo by Sarunas Bartas, btw). She seemed very passionate about film-making and I'm glad that she was able to find the funding and co-producers in France and Belgium to help her with this project.

I plan to watch it soon, but a word of mouth since the early screenings were mostly positive.

It stars Eddie Marsan and a young actress Raffiella Chapman. It was filmed here in Vilnius and around.
She is co-directing and co-writing with French Bruno Samper - they had earlier projects together. It was released over summer in France and did relatively well public and critic wise. I could not catch it but definitely want to see it.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

If I'm not mistaken, it won a prize at BIFFF this year. Should be pretty good.