Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (RESULTS)
Polls: 1994 (Oct 20th), 1997 awards (Oct 24th), 1940s (Oct 26th), Shorts (Nov 16th), Knockout competition (Round 2)
Challenges: Horror, TSPDT, Latin America + Caribbean, 2020 schedule
Film of the Week: Finis terrae, November nominations (Nov 1st)
World Cup S4: Manager sign-up

The Film Lounge

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Re: The Film Lounge

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » October 12th, 2019, 9:03 pm

sebby wrote:
October 12th, 2019, 1:32 am
XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
October 12th, 2019, 12:43 am
The best critics in the game did their review on Joker. This makes me wanna see it.

You know when you got movies like De Niro in them, you can't lose. I think we can assume Oscar will be calling him about his portrayal of the Joker :)
His movie Mister America is online now btw

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » October 12th, 2019, 11:38 pm

Some of you may groan at my use of semantics for this. I was thinking about horror films these days because of a video game I'm playing. It's a horror full motion video game (so more like an interactive film) that is supposed to take itself seriously. However, they throw in some comic relief. It feels way too jarring due to how crude the humour is yet the overall mood is dark and serious.

Most of you may think of this as the same thing, but I'll try to differentiate it. I can think of a few horror-based comedies. I would say comedy is their focus as they tend to be more lighthearted in tone, but with some elements of horror thrown in. Stuff like Viy, Evil Dead 2, or The Abominable Dr. Phibes. Can there be such a thing as comedy-based horrors? I think those could be stuff that is dark and serious in its horror tone, but has some comic relief thrown in there. The only cases I can think of this are serious horror films that I end up laughing at because of how stupid they are. However, I can't think of one that has intentional comic relief that works.

Can you guys think of any examples?

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » October 12th, 2019, 11:49 pm

Silence of the Lambs?

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » October 12th, 2019, 11:52 pm

So what I'm taking from this is that when horror and comedy mix, you end up feeling it's basically comedy that wins out, and if you had to buttonhole the film into one genre, that would be it? I tend to agree, and feel the same way about film noir - there are a few "noir comedies" but unless the humor is VERY light and skillfully placed, they end up feeling much more like comedy than noir - the prime example is probably the Bob Hope vehicle My Favorite Brunette, which follows virtually every noir trope, but still feels so light that calling it "noir" seems rather silly. Noir is supposed to be dark and moody, just as horror is supposed to be, well, horrifying, so very much comedy kind of kills the genre tone. The only exception I think would be with gore, which is heavily associated with horror films - so Evil Dead 2 seems 'horror' to me, still, because of that aspect. But if pushed I'd probably still say it's more a comedy.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » October 13th, 2019, 12:18 am

Hmm, maybe with Silence of the Lambs? But, I don't really see it. Yea OldAle I did mean that too. I'm just wondering if it's possible where there's a case where horror still wins out. I guess Evil Dead 2 could be one, but like I said it's tone is way too light-hearted. It's the same with one video game Harvester. One of the most violent video games of all time, but its tone is 100% comedy.

Lilarcor
Donator

Post by Lilarcor » October 13th, 2019, 12:29 am

Stretching the definition of "horror" here, but I thought perhaps Man Bites Dog (1992) could fit.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » October 13th, 2019, 1:19 am

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
October 13th, 2019, 12:18 am
Hmm, maybe with Silence of the Lambs? But, I don't really see it.
I haven't seen Silence of the Lambs in years, so I don't know if I'd classify it that way, but the kind of thing you're looking for would need the comedy to come from the characters rather than the situations, so something where a lead is sarcastic or flamboyant or otherwise cracking jokes while the general tenor of the film remains serious. I can't think of other films that would work, but I'm sure they're out there.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » October 13th, 2019, 1:31 am

I’m sure I’ve seen a few (hard to think off the top of my head), but it’s difficult with comedy since something that’s laugh out loud to one person is more subtle or not funny at all to another. And what you laugh at for being stupid might not seem stupid to someone else. Something like Ben Wheatley’s films might fit since they tend to be regarded as black comedy, but I don’t think they work as comedies or horrors. I don’t know if black comedy counts as comedic relief tho. Likewise there are lot of campy serious horror movies (like previously mentioned Evil Dead 2) but how serious is serious? It really depends on where you draw the line at comedy and horror and light and serious, and it’s gonna be different for everyone.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

RBG

Post by RBG » October 13th, 2019, 1:45 am

army of darkness, shaun of the dead maybe

pontypool was funny and then not. black christmas :ph43r:

and personally i think the brood is hilarious :lol: maybe they live (but mostly rowdy roddy piper)

the mask. i mean come on. some hammers probably fit the bill. and there's something perversely funny about 'who could kill a child?'

or maybe that's just me. i'm watching roeg's the witches and it treads a fine line, like a lot of roald dahl's stuff

and then there's campy stuff like herschell gordon lewis or the devil's rain. i think bigelow's near dark probably qualifies

even messiah of evil has funny parts (the supermarket :unsure: ) also, christine! B)
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » October 13th, 2019, 3:32 am

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
October 12th, 2019, 11:38 pm
Some of you may groan at my use of semantics for this. I was thinking about horror films these days because of a video game I'm playing. It's a horror full motion video game (so more like an interactive film) that is supposed to take itself seriously. However, they throw in some comic relief. It feels way too jarring due to how crude the humour is yet the overall mood is dark and serious.

Most of you may think of this as the same thing, but I'll try to differentiate it. I can think of a few horror-based comedies. I would say comedy is their focus as they tend to be more lighthearted in tone, but with some elements of horror thrown in. Stuff like Viy, Evil Dead 2, or The Abominable Dr. Phibes. Can there be such a thing as comedy-based horrors? I think those could be stuff that is dark and serious in its horror tone, but has some comic relief thrown in there. The only cases I can think of this are serious horror films that I end up laughing at because of how stupid they are. However, I can't think of one that has intentional comic relief that works.

Can you guys think of any examples?
I guess it kinda depends on the comedy type. Sometimes the joke is in the entire premise of the movie and it intended to start off silly before gradually getting to the horror part. Something like Black Sheep is like that. The carnivorous sheep are ridiculous, but once that's accepted, it becomes a horror element. Though it's always going to be horror-lite. It's a tough transition to go from silly to scary. Gremlins would also be considered a good version of this. Maybe The Stuff. Maybe.

But sometimes the comedy is character or situation-based. A horror movie that's 100% creeping terror can be exhausting, so well-placed comedy moments to cut the tension can be a welcome relief, but it's a tricky thing to perfectly balance it. Scream is a good take on that classic slasher style of characters not accepting the gravity of their situation. Cabin in the Woods may also be a good example, but I think I may just be partial to movies that subvert expectations.

Though a touch of romance and a heavy dose of sincerity can make comedy and horror really blend well together if the director is good. Try Dead Alive (aka Braindead).

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » October 13th, 2019, 7:20 am

Taking the question to mean horror films with comedy, as opposed to horror comedies, perhaps:

Day of the Beast (50/50, Viy area)
Dead of Night
The Host
The House That Jack Built

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » October 13th, 2019, 2:11 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-49981882

So now you can use old actors, make them look young using technology , but the bodies still look odd and move slowly

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » October 13th, 2019, 8:47 pm

I fucking hate Comcast as a cable provider. I was gonna check out the upcoming Turner Classic Movies (TCM) schedule, only to find I don’t get the channel anymore, without warning. A little research shows that Comcast inexplicably moved TCM into a “sports package” that you have to pay more for. Ugh...TCM was one of the few reasons I’ve even bothered to KEEP cable.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » October 13th, 2019, 10:48 pm

I hate Comcast too. I moved once because it was the only internet provider for the apartment complex I was living in at the time and the price kept increasing after the first 12 monthly contract was up and at that point I finally moved--it was probably tripled the original cost. I received more channels using an antenna than the amount of channels I got on the most basic Comcast option.

I also used to watch TCM whenever staying at my mother's house for a long period of time. Last year, the channel wasn't available for the package she had :( (this was Spectrum. It was always available under the package while the company was Time Warner Cable).

sebby

Post by sebby » October 14th, 2019, 1:09 am

I believe TCM was originally supposed to be bundled with Filmstruck as a premier subscription option, offering both OD and live viewing. They nixed that before launch, and FS turned out to be a bit of a mess. What could have been.

sebby

Post by sebby » October 14th, 2019, 1:13 am

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
October 12th, 2019, 9:03 pm
sebby wrote:
XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
October 12th, 2019, 12:43 am
The best critics in the game did their review on Joker. This makes me wanna see it.

You know when you got movies like De Niro in them, you can't lose. I think we can assume Oscar will be calling him about his portrayal of the Joker :)
Is it a 5-bagger?

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » October 14th, 2019, 1:15 am

sebby wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 1:13 am
XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
sebby wrote:

Is it a 5-bagger?
It was actually so underwhelming. Only entertaining part was his big speech near the end.

sebby

Post by sebby » October 14th, 2019, 2:18 am

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 1:15 am
sebby wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 1:13 am
XxXApathy420XxX wrote:

Is it a 5-bagger?
It was actually so underwhelming. Only entertaining part was his big speech near the end.
That's a bummer. Maybe they should have spent more than 3 days filming to get a feature's worth of decent footage.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » October 14th, 2019, 2:26 am

sebby wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 1:09 am
I believe TCM was originally supposed to be bundled with Filmstruck as a premier subscription option, offering both OD and live viewing. They nixed that before launch, and FS turned out to be a bit of a mess. What could have been.
TCM is now supposed to be included in Warner's streaming thingy, HBO+ or HBO MAX or HBO overdrive, whatever. or, at least, last I heard.

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » October 14th, 2019, 5:43 pm

Disney+ (on twitter) has revealed a bunch of films and series that will be on the American version. They also made a three hour video showing it. :satstunned:

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » October 14th, 2019, 10:28 pm

Anyone seen Sion Sono's new film on Netflix yet? I cancelled my subscription a while back and not looking to renew until December.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » October 14th, 2019, 10:38 pm

Ivan0716 wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 10:28 pm
Anyone seen Sion Sono's new film on Netflix yet? I cancelled my subscription a while back and not looking to renew until December.
Wow, I didn’t realize it was a Netflix film. Will make it a priority.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » October 15th, 2019, 1:55 pm

I became inspired about playing Phantasmagoria: A Puzzle of Flesh. It was the perfect mid 90s direct to video interactive film. Dumb in the best way possible with some moments so dumb that they had to be self aware.

Are there any direct to vhs films like that? Stuff like Scanners 3: The Takeover. I find that the 90s ones come across as more ridiculous than 80s.

Edit: It is the early 2000s but maybe Turbulence 3: Heavy Metal? That looks like fun.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » October 15th, 2019, 2:22 pm

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
October 12th, 2019, 11:38 pm
Can there be such a thing as comedy-based horrors? I think those could be stuff that is dark and serious in its horror tone, but has some comic relief thrown in there.
Definitely The Ordeal [Calvaire]. It's mostly a straight-forward horror flick, but are some moments of absurdity that are meant as comic relief.
I'd also echo the Man Bites Dog recommend, but it's not a very typical horror flick.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » October 15th, 2019, 2:38 pm

I guess Polanski's The Fearless Vampire Killers can be seen both as a comedy and as a straight-up horror, depending on whether or not you pick up on the comedic elements.
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » October 17th, 2019, 8:57 pm

Last week The Forest of Love, a new Sion Sono film, debuted on Netflix.

Probably not too many will care here, but as a fan of contemporary Japanese cinema that's pretty insane. I rarely get excited about a new Sono (I actively try to avoid it even) simply because his stuff takes ages to appear outside of Japan, if at all. Even better is that it's a vintage Sono film. He clearly didn't see this as an opportunity to reach a bigger audience with a toned down film, instead we get hardcore Sono excess.

Kudos to Neflix for wanting to invest in projects like this.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » October 17th, 2019, 9:22 pm

The Sono film was just mentioned a few posts ago in this thread, there are some fans around here. I saw that some people in the October challenge thread watched it already. I plan to watch it this weekend, it’s good to hear that Sono was free to do his thing how he wanted.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » October 17th, 2019, 9:59 pm

Paul Dano was cast to play the Riddler in the upcoming Robert Pattinson-as-Batman movie. So, that’s a thing that’s happening.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » October 17th, 2019, 9:59 pm

Sono is the best director currently working in Japan, of course we care ...

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » October 17th, 2019, 10:05 pm

Sono's Shinjuku Swan II has 7 checks on ICM, The Whispering Star 68, The Forest of Love 13. Either people don't really care that much or are exceptionally lazy.
Best contemporary Japanese director is also debatable, but surely one of the most visible.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » October 17th, 2019, 10:33 pm

Onderhond wrote:
October 17th, 2019, 10:05 pm
Sono's Shinjuku Swan II has 7 checks on ICM, The Whispering Star 68, The Forest of Love 13. Either people don't really care that much or are exceptionally lazy.
Best contemporary Japanese director is also debatable, but surely one of the most visible.
He makes an extraordinary amount of films, and like you just said it takes a while for his films to become available (Probably never watching the Swan films though).

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » October 18th, 2019, 5:03 am

Hence why I might have expected a little more excitement when his latest has a Day 1 release on a platform available in 100+ countries over the world, with an audience of 150 million that is at most three clicks away from watching it.
In comparison, Fractured (which was added a couple of days after I think) has 112 checks, while Forest of Love has only 15.

fori

Post by fori » October 18th, 2019, 6:20 am

I vehemently disagree with the assessment that Sono is the best active filmmaker in Japan today, but I did watch it, and found it to be a total flop. It seems to have been fairly widely watched within only a couple of days, it’s just that ICM is dead. The vast majority of checks on Fractured are likely from people who have never heard of or at least seen any Sono films.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » October 18th, 2019, 6:46 am

fori wrote:
October 18th, 2019, 6:20 am
It seems to have been fairly widely watched within only a couple of days
Based on what then? IMDb vote count is low, RT review count too.

fori

Post by fori » October 18th, 2019, 7:55 am

Onderhond wrote:
October 18th, 2019, 6:46 am
fori wrote:
It seems to have been fairly widely watched within only a couple of days
Based on what then? IMDb vote count is low, RT review count too.
On Letterboxd (which isn’t dead) it already has as many views as Tokyo Vampire Hotel, and will likely overtake even the Whispering Star.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » October 18th, 2019, 8:33 am

Hmmm, never realized Letterboxd was ahead in popularity compared to IMDb (or at least for more cinephile stuff). It's a shame their import feature kinda sucks.
But very nice to know some people are watching it!

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » October 18th, 2019, 9:43 am

Onderhond wrote:
October 18th, 2019, 8:33 am
Hmmm, never realized Letterboxd was ahead in popularity compared to IMDb (or at least for more cinephile stuff). It's a shame their import feature kinda sucks.
But very nice to know some people are watching it!
I know :(

I have been meaning to move shop from IMDb to Letterboxd for years. :D

Re Sono: I did not know The Forest of Love was happening. But then I don't have Netflix. Should be available soon (still have plenty of Sonos to explore from throughout his career though, only seen 14 out of 36-37).

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » October 18th, 2019, 10:28 am

Yeah, keeping track of Sono requires keeping an eye on very specific sources. I'm at 32 now, with only Tokyo Vampire Hotel being immediately available (though I'd rather see the film cut instead of the full series). Next up: Sono's EN-lang debut with Nicolas Cage :D

Netflix has been pretty great this past couple of weeks though. New Sono, new Natali, new Foy, new Soderbergh, new Brad Anderson ... new Scorsese coming up. Still few masterpieces of course, but as far as quality filler goes that's a pretty impressive list.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » October 18th, 2019, 6:07 pm

fori wrote:
I vehemently disagree with the assessment that Sono is the best active filmmaker in Japan today, but I did watch it, and found it to be a total flop. It seems to have been fairly widely watched within only a couple of days, it’s just that ICM is dead. The vast majority of checks on Fractured are likely from people who have never heard of or at least seen any Sono films.
Who would you say are the best Japanese directors currently working?

For my money the top 5 would be:

Shion Sono
Shunji Iwai
Makoto Shinkai
Tetsuya Nakashima
Masaaki Yuasa

(If we included the early 00s I would have added Miike to my list. I have two recommendations from Onderhond laying about from the 10s, will get to them soon hopefully)

I have only seen a bit over 100 Japanese films from the 21st century, so I clearly have a lot to catch up with. Not a huge fan of Kawase or Koreeda unfortunately, though both are very good directors.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » October 18th, 2019, 6:11 pm

Onderhond wrote:
October 18th, 2019, 10:28 am
Yeah, keeping track of Sono requires keeping an eye on very specific sources. I'm at 32 now, with only Tokyo Vampire Hotel being immediately available (though I'd rather see the film cut instead of the full series). Next up: Sono's EN-lang debut with Nicolas Cage :D

Netflix has been pretty great this past couple of weeks though. New Sono, new Natali, new Foy, new Soderbergh, new Brad Anderson ... new Scorsese coming up. Still few masterpieces of course, but as far as quality filler goes that's a pretty impressive list.
I am still surprised by the horrible ratings recent Sono films have been getting, a sign he is fading like Miike, or just that he is reaching a larger audience? Quite interested in Tokyo Vamire Hotel. Like you I'm unsure about which version to explore. The latest films I saw from him, Tag and Antiporno were still great, and his 2015 extravaganza is extremely impressive, I just need to catch up on them.