Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (RESULTS)
Polls: 1994 (Oct 20th), 1997 awards (Oct 24th), 1940s (Oct 26th), Shorts (Nov 16th), Knockout competition (Round 2)
Challenges: Horror, TSPDT, Latin America + Caribbean, 2020 schedule
Film of the Week: Popcorn, November nominations (Nov 1st)
World Cup S4: Manager sign-up

US Politics thread

Kublai Khan

Re: US Politics thread

Post by Kublai Khan » July 9th, 2019, 6:03 pm

Someone asked "Why do some British people not like Donald Trump?"

Nate White, an articulate and witty writer from England, wrote this magnificent response:

"A few things spring to mind.
Trump lacks certain qualities which the British traditionally esteem.
For instance, he has no class, no charm, no coolness, no credibility, no compassion, no wit, no warmth, no wisdom, no subtlety, no sensitivity, no self-awareness, no humility, no honour and no grace - all qualities, funnily enough, with which his predecessor Mr. Obama was generously blessed.
So for us, the stark contrast does rather throw Trump's limitations into embarrassingly sharp relief.
Plus, we like a laugh. And while Trump may be laughable, he has never once said anything wry, witty or even faintly amusing - not once, ever.
I don't say that rhetorically, I mean it quite literally: not once, not ever. And that fact is particularly disturbing to the British sensibility - for us, to lack humour is almost inhuman.
But with Trump, it's a fact. He doesn't even seem to understand what a joke is - his idea of a joke is a crass comment, an illiterate insult, a casual act of cruelty.
Trump is a troll. And like all trolls, he is never funny and he never laughs; he only crows or jeers.
And scarily, he doesn't just talk in crude, witless insults - he actually thinks in them. His mind is a simple bot-like algorithm of petty prejudices and knee-jerk nastiness.
There is never any under-layer of irony, complexity, nuance or depth. It's all surface.
Some Americans might see this as refreshingly upfront.
Well, we don't. We see it as having no inner world, no soul.
And in Britain we traditionally side with David, not Goliath. All our heroes are plucky underdogs: Robin Hood, Dick Whittington, Oliver Twist.
Trump is neither plucky, nor an underdog. He is the exact opposite of that.
He's not even a spoiled rich-boy, or a greedy fat-cat.
He's more a fat white slug. A Jabba the Hutt of privilege.
And worse, he is that most unforgivable of all things to the British: a bully.
That is, except when he is among bullies; then he suddenly transforms into a snivelling sidekick instead.
There are unspoken rules to this stuff - the Queensberry rules of basic decency - and he breaks them all. He punches downwards - which a gentleman should, would, could never do - and every blow he aims is below the belt. He particularly likes to kick the vulnerable or voiceless - and he kicks them when they are down.
So the fact that a significant minority - perhaps a third - of Americans look at what he does, listen to what he says, and then think 'Yeah, he seems like my kind of guy' is a matter of some confusion and no little distress to British people, given that:
* Americans are supposed to be nicer than us, and mostly are.
* You don't need a particularly keen eye for detail to spot a few flaws in the man.
This last point is what especially confuses and dismays British people, and many other people too; his faults seem pretty bloody hard to miss.
After all, it's impossible to read a single tweet, or hear him speak a sentence or two, without staring deep into the abyss. He turns being artless into an art form; he is a Picasso of pettiness; a Shakespeare of shiat. His faults are fractal: even his flaws have flaws, and so on ad infinitum.
God knows there have always been stupid people in the world, and plenty of nasty people too. But rarely has stupidity been so nasty, or nastiness so stupid.
He makes Nixon look trustworthy and George W look smart.
In fact, if Frankenstein decided to make a monster assembled entirely from human flaws - he would make a Trump.
And a remorseful Doctor Frankenstein would clutch out big clumpfuls of hair and scream in anguish:
'My God... what... have... I... created?
If being a twat was a TV show, Trump would be the boxed set."

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » July 9th, 2019, 6:40 pm

Dolwphin wrote:
July 9th, 2019, 10:54 am
XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
July 8th, 2019, 7:01 pm
I can't wait for the next Oscar Best Picture winner where an ICE border agent gives a child in a concentration camp a bottle of water.
If White Helmets can win an Oscar, why not some recognition for ICE's brave humanitarianism as well? :thumbsup:
sounds like it's right up Spielberg's alley - just can't decide who the brave ICE humanitarian should be: Gosling, Cooper, or better yet, an African American, Washington's too old and Foxx isn't quite right :think:

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » July 9th, 2019, 6:45 pm

Kublai Khan wrote:
July 9th, 2019, 6:03 pm
Someone asked "Why do some British people not like Donald Trump?"

Nate White, an articulate and witty writer from England, wrote this magnificent response:
If being a twat was a TV show, Trump would be the boxed set."
:thumbsup: Shithole is to twats what Argentinosaurus huinculensis is to dinosaurs

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » July 9th, 2019, 7:11 pm

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
July 9th, 2019, 1:56 pm
:circle: I don't know what he's on, but telling that much nonsense with a straight face is one of the funniest things I've ever seen :circle:
Kublai Khan wrote:
July 9th, 2019, 6:03 pm

Plus, we like a laugh.
Uhuh. They're making his local look-a-like the new Prime Minister of Great-Britain, that's really one of the most elaborate jokes ever :D

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » July 11th, 2019, 4:52 am

Some headlines. Trump wins emoluments case, he actually loses out on deals being President and does not take a salary, 1 dollar a year. Tommy Robinson has asked for political asylum in the US. Boris not May should appoint new Ambassador to US. Trump is not really a Republican, surely you guys should prefer him to Mike Pence?

Yes, who wants to retire, except for health reasons. I know elderly people working who love it.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » July 11th, 2019, 4:55 am

Boris is a Gemini like Trump and blonde. Boris does not tell the truth. When he speaks it is to have an effect on an audience. He has no beliefs or principles other than what suits his career. He will be regarded as a success if he gets Brexit through and wins an election.

Trump has wit, and charisma as does Boris. In the TV age, this counts for a lot. Compare this to Joe Biden and Jeremy Hunt.
Last edited by Cippenham on July 11th, 2019, 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » July 11th, 2019, 4:57 am

I like Trump but don’t usually admit it as it’s not worth arguing about. Except for on here or if I feel like it. He has done as he promised, the economy is doing well. Nate does not speak for me or most British but for elite liberals in the metropolitan areas.

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » July 11th, 2019, 10:39 am

Cippenham wrote:
July 11th, 2019, 4:52 am
Some headlines. Trump wins emoluments case,

This is a lie/misinformation. The case was not heard.
he actually loses out on deals being President and does not take a salary, 1 dollar a year.
He doesn't take a salary, he just directs government spending directly into his businesses. And constantly uses his platform to promote his businesses.

In a few years, if/when the madness has passed and there's a functioning government again, the full scale of his theft might be calculated and the figure will be astronomical.

Tommy Robinson has asked for political asylum in the US. Boris not May should appoint new Ambassador to US. Trump is not really a Republican, surely you guys should prefer him to Mike Pence?

Yes, who wants to retire, except for health reasons. I know elderly people working who love it.
You sound about as coherent as your fat orange hero.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » July 11th, 2019, 2:16 pm

Just answering a few points. I understood court was in Trumps side. Orange sounds racist to me -against orange people. The less government does the better as they mess things up. I did read Trump did not take a salary. He is worthy of a place among the greats for what he has done.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.nati ... trump/amp/

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » July 11th, 2019, 4:44 pm

brokenface wrote:
July 11th, 2019, 10:39 am
Cippenham wrote:
July 11th, 2019, 4:52 am
Some headlines. Trump wins emoluments case,

This is a lie/misinformation. The case was not heard.
he actually loses out on deals being President and does not take a salary, 1 dollar a year.
He doesn't take a salary, he just directs government spending directly into his businesses. And constantly uses his platform to promote his businesses.

In a few years, if/when the madness has passed and there's a functioning government again, the full scale of his theft might be calculated and the figure will be astronomical.

Tommy Robinson has asked for political asylum in the US. Boris not May should appoint new Ambassador to US. Trump is not really a Republican, surely you guys should prefer him to Mike Pence?

You sound about as coherent as your fat orange hero.
someone sharing misinformation on here? oh, say it isn't so! :P

The thing I'm left wondering about, given reports of the pResident saying things like, "Explain X to me again", (Sorry, can't remember the specific cases or find those needles in the Everest-like pile of commentary online.) one is never quite sure what he does and doesn't get about how the real world works. Like recent comments about climate change - We have the cleanest water, the cleanest air, so don't need to worry about climate change. Is it possible he just doesn't get it? doesn't want to get it? Or are the soundbites just out of context?

One thing is clear though, he clearly thinks that whatever he says about something ("I won my case!") makes it so. If not for the critical thinkers who read something like "the plaintiffs don't have standing in the case" and see the difference between that statement and "the plaintiffs failed to proved their claims therefore we are ruling in favor of the defendant", then at least for the fanboys and acolytes who hang on his every word. I swear, if he said "yesterday I walked across the waters of the Potomac" a certain segment would not only believe he walked on water, but would proclaim him messiah. But it's clear that he believes by talking first and loud that he will get to frame the discussion (he learned something from a PR consultant it seems).

Oh, to have sanity return to the halls of power again ... but I'm not going to be holding my breath. :(

sol can find me here

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » July 11th, 2019, 6:12 pm

Cippenham wrote:
July 11th, 2019, 4:57 am
I like Trump but don’t usually admit it as it’s not worth arguing about. Except for on here or if I feel like it. He has done as he promised, the economy is doing well.

Nothing to see here: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKCN1U618F

Not a worrying thing at all.

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » July 12th, 2019, 7:39 pm

Cippenham wrote:
July 11th, 2019, 2:16 pm
Just answering a few points. I understood court was in Trumps side.
The court was on Trump's side in that they didn't let the lawsuit go ahead.
Cippenham wrote:
July 11th, 2019, 2:16 pm
The less government does the better as they mess things up.
But I thought Trump was making everything better with all the things he's done? I feel like I read that somewhere.
Cippenham wrote:He is worthy of a place among the greats for what he has done.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » July 12th, 2019, 8:29 pm

https://fee.org/articles/the-strange-pr ... g-harding/

The great Harding and Coolidge administrations cut government and this led to prosperity, Trump does not do that but cuts regulation, boosts trade and controls immigration and stops wars and does not start them.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » July 12th, 2019, 8:30 pm

Gorka to CNN reporter , you are not a journalist, you are a punk

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump- ... y-reporter

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » July 13th, 2019, 1:26 am

Cippenham wrote:
July 12th, 2019, 8:30 pm

I agree. Gorka is far too uncouth and combative to be allowed in the White House. Trump is truly a fool to surround himself by fools.

(Also, since your facts are always wrong. Karem is a Playboy reporter (read your own article) and political analyst on CNN.)

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » July 13th, 2019, 3:00 am

Gillibrand and a discussion of institutional racism during Youngstown Ohio town hall - recommended

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... nal-racism

sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » July 13th, 2019, 3:34 am

Open ended question: What are your top five issues that need to be addressed by the person elected as President in 2020?

sol can find me here

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » July 13th, 2019, 3:51 am

Climate Change
Healthcare
Gun Laws
Education
Strengthening the system of checks and balances. (No more loopholes like refusing to consider a Supreme Court Justice or having permanently 'acting' cabinet members. Have true consequences for ethics violations. Trump exposed how weak the system is to having a tyrant take over.)

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » July 13th, 2019, 4:15 am

Kublai Khan wrote:
July 13th, 2019, 1:26 am
Cippenham wrote:

I agree. Gorka is far too uncouth and combative to be allowed in the White House. Trump is truly a fool to surround himself by fools.

(Also, since your facts are always wrong. Karem is a Playboy reporter (read your own article) and political analyst on CNN.)
I know, I read that, was aware he worked for both and my facts are always right on, I nearly mentioned both but particularly wanted to show he worked for CNN. I think this shows the contempt rightly held for MSM and preference for new alternative media

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » July 13th, 2019, 4:26 am

Kublai Khan wrote:
July 13th, 2019, 3:51 am
Climate Change
Healthcare
Gun Laws
Education
Strengthening the system of checks and balances. (No more loopholes like refusing to consider a Supreme Court Justice or having permanently 'acting' cabinet members. Have true consequences for ethics violations. Trump exposed how weak the system is to having a tyrant take over.)
As I showed in recent article there will be massive cooling first for many years, then warming, caused by the sun, so humans do not affect the climate
Gun control ok but given the opposition and US constitution and Supreme Court, is it possible to change, doubt it
Healthcare, again I think it’s tough, but NHS works here, but perhaps an insurance system more like in Europe would be better than current system
Education, you need traditional conservative education and to remove liberal bias so would involve mass sackings, doubt it’s possible
Trump no tyrant, he is stand for election, not stopping them, shows balances still work, also shown by house taken by Democrats, this is a balance

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » July 13th, 2019, 11:30 am

Cippenham wrote:
July 13th, 2019, 4:15 am
Kublai Khan wrote:
July 13th, 2019, 1:26 am
Cippenham wrote:

I know, I read that, was aware he worked for both and my facts are always right on, I nearly mentioned both but particularly wanted to show he worked for CNN. I think this shows the contempt rightly held for MSM and preference for new alternative media
You've agreed that Trump is a liar, yes you condemn the news that won't print his lies wholesale and without question like the "new alternative media" does.

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » July 13th, 2019, 11:34 am

Cippenham wrote:
July 13th, 2019, 4:26 am
Kublai Khan wrote:
July 13th, 2019, 3:51 am
Climate Change
Healthcare
Gun Laws
Education
As I showed in recent article there will be massive cooling first for many years, then warming, caused by the sun, so humans do not affect the climate
Gun control ok but given the opposition and US constitution and Supreme Court, is it possible to change, doubt it
Healthcare, again I think it’s tough, but NHS works here, but perhaps an insurance system more like in Europe would be better than current system
Education, you need traditional conservative education and to remove liberal bias so would involve mass sackings, doubt it’s possible
Trump no tyrant, he is stand for election, not stopping them, shows balances still work, also shown by house taken by Democrats, this is a balance
Cipp.. You don't live here. You watch YouTube videos and think you're an expert on the subject.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » July 13th, 2019, 12:40 pm

Mike Gravel made it to the debates. A huge achievement.

fori

Post by fori » July 13th, 2019, 9:45 pm

Cippenham wrote:
humans do not affect the climate
https://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/
There is no debate about climate change.
I cringed at your other points as well, but climate change is too far. Please don’t be the doofus denying empirical reality. Your ignorance is part of what stops us from fixing a problem that will have serious ramifications including humans deaths and other species becoming extinct.

Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin » July 13th, 2019, 10:23 pm

fori wrote:
July 13th, 2019, 9:45 pm
Cippenham wrote:
I cringed at your other points as well, but climate change is too far. Please don’t be the doofus denying empirical reality. Your ignorance is part of what stops us from fixing a problem that will have serious ramifications including humans deaths and other species becoming extinct.
Top 200 | https://rateyourmusic.com/~Dolwphin

Member of the Experimental Mafia.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » July 14th, 2019, 11:24 am

fori wrote:
July 13th, 2019, 9:45 pm
Cippenham wrote:
There is no debate as the article in Nature conclusively proved there will be a long period of cooling then warming so there is no need to debate it

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » July 14th, 2019, 1:45 pm

Someone's too horny

Minkin

Post by Minkin » July 14th, 2019, 7:47 pm

When you see that XxXApathy420XxX has posted in the US Politics thread :cheers: :wub:

When you see that Cippenham has posted in the US Politics thread :lol: :facepalm: :X
-------------------------

Speaking of which, I'm not sure why anybody engages with Cipp in this thread. I thought it was 100% clear that they're doing a Colbert Report conservative act. So you just play into the game if you respond / acknowledge!

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » July 14th, 2019, 7:57 pm

Minkin wrote:
July 14th, 2019, 7:47 pm
When you see that XxXApathy420XxX has posted in the US Politics thread :cheers: :wub:
Aww thanks (l)

Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin » July 14th, 2019, 9:07 pm

Domination is necessary because eh *read notes* ... lobsters!
Top 200 | https://rateyourmusic.com/~Dolwphin

Member of the Experimental Mafia.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » July 14th, 2019, 10:05 pm

Really worried about the potential of an all out genocide. Not only will many innocent lives be taken, but what about the ramifications for it? I think there might be an all out war. Thankfully I'm disqualified for military service because I'm way too mentally unfit, but if forced I'm either going to jail instead, or shooting myself the second I have a gun in my hands.