Welcome to the ICM Forum.
Check out our Magazine

If you notice any issues please post in the Q&A thread. Email issue should be fixed. If you encounter this issue, contact PeacefulAnarchy
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 59 released September 18th: Talking Zero Budget Filmmaking with Art School Dropouts)
iCinema Magazine: WE ARE LIVE! (We just need more content)
ICMForum Film Festival 2022: Mon Nov 14 - Dec 12
Polls: Music Videos (Results), 2010 (Sep 25th), Senegal (Sep 30th), 500<400 (Oct 3rd), Japan (Oct 31st)
Challenges: Mexico/Central America/Caribbean, Travel the World, Silent Era
About: Welcome All New Members, Terms of Use, Q&A

The Jazz Lounge

prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson »

I've been on a real jazz kick lately working on a rough cut of my upcoming project The Mode, for which the temp soundtrack is entirely comprised of modal jazz, with one Joni Mitchell song at the centerpiece. You guys have recommended some albums that ended up becoming personal favorites (especially sebby I believe, with First Light and Underground), so if you've got anything else you think I'd like I'd love to hear.

I tend to prefer the mysterious and mystical modal and fusion stuff from the early 60s to the mid 70s, but I enjoy some early bebop stuff too. I'm not crazy about the more predictable, easy-listening, journey-to-the-tonic side of things, but if it's beautiful, evocative, or eccentric enough I'm certainly open to that too. I'd be open to exploring free jazz, but don't have any experience there outside of Coleman and Coltrane. Some of my favorites:

Ornette Coleman: The Shape of Jazz to Come
Ornette Coleman: Science Fiction
Ornette Coleman: Dancing in Your Head
Alice Coltrane: Ptah the El Daoud
Alice Coltrane: Journey to Satchidananda
Alice Coltrane: Universal Consciousness
Alice Coltrane: World Galaxy
John Coltrane: Blue Train
John Coltrane: My Favorite Things
John Coltrane: Meditations
John Coltrane: Interstellar Space
Chick Corea: Return to Forever
Chick Corea and Gary Burton: Crystal Silence
Miles Davis: Relaxin'
Miles Davis: Kind of Blue
Miles Davis: Sketches of Spain
Miles Davis: Miles in the Sky
Miles Davis: In a Silent Way
Miles Davis: Bitches Brew
Miles Davis: Jack Johnson
Miles Davis: Dark Magus
Miles Davis: Agharta
Bill Evans and Jim Hall: Undercurrent
João Gilberto and Stan Getz: Getz/Gilberto
Joe Henderson: Power to the People
Freddie Hubbard: Red Clay
Freddie Hubbard: First Light
Charles Mingus: Tijuana Moods
Thelonious Monk: Straight No Chaser
Thelonious Monk: Underground
Baden Powell and Vinicius de Moraes: Os Afro Sambas
Wayne Shorter: Moto Grosso Feio
Wayne Shorter and Milton Nacimiento: Native Dancer
Tony Williams: Emergency!
Frank Zappa: Hot Rats

Notably not among my favorites:
-Change of the Century (a remarkable step down from Coleman's previous album and a folly of a title imo, though I think the mix is bad on my CD too)
-Takin' Off and Head Hunters (still haven't found a Hancock bandleader album I really love, Maiden Voyage is probably my favorite so far)
-Time Out (maybe I've been overexposed but this is bland as all get-out to me, weird time signatures and everything)
-Black Saint and the Sinner Lady (borderline; something about Mingus is generally too bombastic or gregarious for me, especially something like Ah Um; though Let My Children Hear Music made a very positive impression on me the 1 or 2 times I've heard it all the way through)
-Speak No Evil (haven't been too thrilled on Shorter's earlier work)
-The Inner Mounting Flame (just not crazy about Mahavishnu Orchestra's overall aesthetic, maybe the compression in the studio just renders it all thinner-sounding), Heavy Weather (maybe should give this another go given how much I've been enjoying Shorter's contemporary work)
-Saxophone Colossus (I feel like I should enjoy Sonny Rollins more than I do, recommendations welcome here)
-any primarily vocal jazz (Lady in Satin and Sarah Vaughn's self-titled are maybe close; I also adore Nina Simone but she works better in compilations for me, haven't found any of her original releases to strike me as great cohesive works)

Cheers guys!
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

prodigalgodson wrote: June 17th, 2022, 10:11 pm You guys have recommended some albums that ended up becoming personal favorites (especially sebby I believe, with First Light and Underground), so if you've got anything else you think I'd like I'd love to hear.
That was me actually!

A few ideas:
The Vandermark 5 -- The Color of Memory (Vehicle is my favorite track, but it's also straight-ahead hard bop, and you might actually enjoy the other songs, which are a little more out there)

Die Like a Dog Quartet -- Little Birds Have Fast Hearts (Peter Brotzmann is the first name in European free jazz, though I have to admit that I've never found his recorded stuff could live up to his live performances. You might also try his breakout album, Machine Gun. I find it unlistenable, but maybe it's up your alley.)

Krzysztof Komeda - Astigmatic (More European free jazz)

James Carter -- JC on the Set (or perhaps a later album, In Carterian Fashion -- it's a bit traditional, so maybe not for you, but Carter doesn't mind getting a little atonal with his sax)

Jason Moran -- Facing Left (which includes idiosyncratic jazz adaptations of two great movies themes, Yojimbo and The Murder of Don Fanucci)

Any interest in The Bad Plus? My favorite album is probably Suspicious Activity. They're a bass-drums-piano trio, so they lack the sweep of brass and sound a bit more intimate.

Then there's my favorite jazz group of this century, Secret Society. They certainly have a very specific sound, described by the leader/composer as "Steampunk big band"

And, of course, I have to mention Kamasi.
Last edited by blocho on June 18th, 2022, 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson »

blocho wrote: June 18th, 2022, 4:16 am
prodigalgodson wrote: June 17th, 2022, 10:11 pm You guys have recommended some albums that ended up becoming personal favorites (especially sebby I believe, with First Light and Underground), so if you've got anything else you think I'd like I'd love to hear.
That was me actually!

A few ideas:
Ah thanks so much blocho! Sorry to miscredit the recommendations. I'll give these all a spin through next time I'm cutting and let you know my thoughts.
prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson »

blocho wrote: June 18th, 2022, 4:16 am A few ideas:
So I absolutely loved the Jason Moran and Bad Plus tracks, definitely gonna check out those LPs. Thanks so much!

Little Birds Have Fast Hearts I admired more than enjoyed, though I did like the ebb and flow of energy. Would like to give it another spin sometimes, that sometimes helps with those more abrasive free jazz records in my experience.

Enjoyed the Vandermark 5 and James Carter tracks, though they didn't make a huge impression. Wouldn't mind seeking out more.

That Secret Society one is definitely a vibe -- not exactly my vibe, but I can see the appeal.

I have The Epic on CD but it wasn't quite in my wheelhouse on first listen. I don't know, it's impressive, but it just doesn't hit me the way my favorite jazz does. It feels like it'd make a good soundtrack for Star Trek or something lol.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

prodigalgodson wrote: August 10th, 2022, 5:41 am
blocho wrote: June 18th, 2022, 4:16 am A few ideas:
So I absolutely loved the Jason Moran and Bad Plus tracks, definitely gonna check out those LPs. Thanks so much!

Little Birds Have Fast Hearts I admired more than enjoyed, though I did like the ebb and flow of energy. Would like to give it another spin sometimes, that sometimes helps with those more abrasive free jazz records in my experience.

Enjoyed the Vandermark 5 and James Carter tracks, though they didn't make a huge impression. Wouldn't mind seeking out more.

That Secret Society one is definitely a vibe -- not exactly my vibe, but I can see the appeal.

I have The Epic on CD but it wasn't quite in my wheelhouse on first listen. I don't know, it's impressive, but it just doesn't hit me the way my favorite jazz does. It feels like it'd make a good soundtrack for Star Trek or something lol.
Cheers, mate! I'm honored you gave my recs a listen.
BulldogDrummond

Post by BulldogDrummond »

My gateway into jazz music as a teenager has passed recently, Pharoah Sanders. Sad news for me as a result.

These days my listening is a lot more broad and I'll listen to what the mood takes me. I recently discovered WJZZ Detroit and was convinced for a second it was going to be iconic as Electrifying Mojo or something for the city. See, they played not only jazz but 'electro beat' interludes like Willesden Dodgers -Jive Rhythm Trax - 122bpm alongside their flavour of jazz.

A lot of their jazz would fall unfortunately in the now unpopular and somewhat schmaltzy category of 'Smooth Jazz' and 'Quiet Storm', but there are more than the odd gem among their playlists. For example this version of Red Clay by the Rare Silk. We all know the standard from Freddie Hubbards version, but it's a pretty groovy vocal version.