Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
ICMForum's Favourite Movies 2019 Edition (Results)
Polls: Children (Results), 1932 (Closed?), 1989 awards (Apr 22nd), Directed by women (Apr 23rd), DtC Voting (Apr 25th)
Challenges: DtC noms, Aus-NZ-Oceania, 1940s
Film of the Week: Alexandra's Project, May nominations (Apr 26th)

DVD/BD Lounge

Ebbywebby

Re: DVD/BD Lounge

Post by Ebbywebby » February 16th, 2019, 8:04 pm

Knaldskalle wrote:
February 16th, 2019, 6:29 pm
Timec wrote:
February 16th, 2019, 4:24 am
I don't have much use for Haneke's finger-wagging moralizing - but the sense of helplessness Funny Games evokes still makes it one of the most viscerally effective horror films I've ever seen. The violence in the movie feels much more impactful and "real" (for lack of a better word) than is usually the case in the genre.

In fact, the film is so effective that I find the experience of watching it deeply unpleasant. I doubt I'll feel the need to own it on Blu-ray.
Well put, but my problem is more that Haneke cheats. In the movie the two psychos implicate the audience in the "games" and if you accept that premise you, as a viewer, basically have two choices: You can either stop watching or continue watching. The implied consequence being that you somehow become complicit in the violence if you continue watching - and that you don't if you stop. However, if you stop watching, do you somehow "extricate" yourself from what happens in the movie? Of course not, because what happens in the movie was predetermined at the script level before a single image was shot and was filmed before an audience ever had the choice of participating or not. In other words, it's a trap that Haneke sets up - if you accept the premise that watching is somehow becoming complicit in the crimes put on display. But that's like blaming people who watch the evening news for the violence that's being reported in those news. One does not cause the other and you can't do a damn thing about something that has already happened. That's the biggest problem I have with Funny Games, it cheats. I can live with the rest, viscerally repulsive as it is, but I refuse to accept that I as a viewer am somehow complicit in what Haneke decided to put in a movie.
I've seen the remake a lot more recently than the original...did the "psychos" talk to the camera in the original too?

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » February 16th, 2019, 8:07 pm

Ebbywebby wrote:
February 16th, 2019, 8:04 pm
Knaldskalle wrote:
February 16th, 2019, 6:29 pm
Timec wrote:
February 16th, 2019, 4:24 am
I don't have much use for Haneke's finger-wagging moralizing - but the sense of helplessness Funny Games evokes still makes it one of the most viscerally effective horror films I've ever seen. The violence in the movie feels much more impactful and "real" (for lack of a better word) than is usually the case in the genre.

In fact, the film is so effective that I find the experience of watching it deeply unpleasant. I doubt I'll feel the need to own it on Blu-ray.
Well put, but my problem is more that Haneke cheats. In the movie the two psychos implicate the audience in the "games" and if you accept that premise you, as a viewer, basically have two choices: You can either stop watching or continue watching. The implied consequence being that you somehow become complicit in the violence if you continue watching - and that you don't if you stop. However, if you stop watching, do you somehow "extricate" yourself from what happens in the movie? Of course not, because what happens in the movie was predetermined at the script level before a single image was shot and was filmed before an audience ever had the choice of participating or not. In other words, it's a trap that Haneke sets up - if you accept the premise that watching is somehow becoming complicit in the crimes put on display. But that's like blaming people who watch the evening news for the violence that's being reported in those news. One does not cause the other and you can't do a damn thing about something that has already happened. That's the biggest problem I have with Funny Games, it cheats. I can live with the rest, viscerally repulsive as it is, but I refuse to accept that I as a viewer am somehow complicit in what Haneke decided to put in a movie.
I've seen the remake a lot more recently than the original...did the "psychos" talk to the camera in the original too?
Yep.
The gauzy thoughts of the sturdy Scots
Wrestle with the elements
Up on the trail high
I need to know where does it go
How do I get there and what will I find?

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » March 15th, 2019, 7:51 pm

Criterion’s June releases announced:

Swing Time (George Stevens)
La vie de Jesus (Bruno Dumont)
L’humanite (Bruno Dumont)
Hedwig and the Angry Inch (John Cameron Mitchell)
War and Peace (Sergei Bondarchuk)

And they’re releasing the Bergman trilogy of Through a Glass Darkly, Winter Light and The Silence as its own thing, though they were all in that big Bergman box put out last year.
Up on the trail high

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » March 29th, 2019, 12:38 am

I believe I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but I'm quite excited by the War and Peace update and definitely will be picking that one up. I rather like my existing non-criterion releases of Hedwig and Swing Time so I suppose I'll have to wait and see what people think of the extra content for those.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » April 16th, 2019, 4:54 pm

Criterion announced their next batch of releases yesterday (July titles): https://www.criterion.com/shop/browse?p ... oming-soon

Europa Europa (1990, Agnieszka Holland)
Klute (1971, Alan J. Pakula)
The Baker's Wife (1938, Marcel Pagnol)
1984 (1984, Michael Radford)
An upgrade of Do the Right Thing (1989, Spike Lee)
An upgrade of Fassbinder's BRD trilogy - The Marriage of Maria Braun, Veronika Voss and Lola
Up on the trail high

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » April 16th, 2019, 10:44 pm

and today they corrected their horrendous mistake of giving spine #984 to Europa Europa and not...ya know, 1984.

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » April 17th, 2019, 2:04 am

Glad to see La femme du boulanger get a Criterion release!

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » April 17th, 2019, 3:10 am

I'm kinda glad I didn't get around to getting the Twilight Time release of 1984...
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » April 17th, 2019, 7:01 am

Klute, nice!

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » April 17th, 2019, 7:05 am

I've actually seen all of them this time around. Nothing too exciting for me. I'm still waiting for that promised Kiarostami set.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » April 17th, 2019, 7:40 am

they pushed it back because they got the rights to a few more of Kiarostami's films. Looking like an early 2020 release now.

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » April 17th, 2019, 3:43 pm

funkybusiness wrote:
April 17th, 2019, 7:40 am
they pushed it back because they got the rights to a few more of Kiarostami's films. Looking like an early 2020 release now.
If that's the case, I don't mind waiting. :) Actually, didn't they acquire the rights to his entire catalog?

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » April 17th, 2019, 10:41 pm

no one is sure if they have everything, as Cohen seems to have the rights to The Wind Will Carry Us. or at least, their BD is still in print. and I think Shirin might be with someone else? not positive. but CC definitely got the early '00s films, ABC Africa thru 10 on Ten, which they were lacking before.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » April 18th, 2019, 4:11 am

Speaking of Cohen and BD's, I was quite excited to learn that they're releasing the "Buster Keaton Collection, vol. 1: The General & Steamboat Bill, Jr." next month. It's from the recent-ish 4K scans that Eureka MoC also released in a limited edition box set. I snoozed on it and it sold out, so this is my chance at getting my grubby little fingers on some feature-length Keaton (I have the MoC box set of his shorts).
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

insomnius

Post by insomnius » April 19th, 2019, 1:17 pm

Easter sale at Arrow until Apr 24. You need to be logged in to see the lower prices.

https://arrowfilms.com/

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » April 20th, 2019, 4:13 pm

Can anyone help me find ANY screenshots/trailers for the recently released Narcissus and Psyche Blu-ray?

EDIT: Oh fuck it I'm ordering it, it's probably the best looking film I've ever seen anyway, any improvement over existing prints is a win.

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » Yesterday, 2:19 pm

Received it already(thanks Amazon Prime), only skimmed through the first part, but it's a hell of an upgrade over the DVD(/Rip) out there, the colours are much sharper and the contrast has been improved CONSIDERABLY, especially in the darker scenes(you can actually see faces now). The colours still feel a bit washed out at times, but it might just be unrealistic expectation on my part - I've never seen the film theatrically so I don't know how it's really supposed to look. All in all a pretty damn good release for a film no one would buy.

Like I said earlier this is one of the most visually impressive films out there, so If anyone is interested in watching the film for the first time it's well worth tracking down the Blu-ray, €15 for a 4.5h film is pretty good value for money however you slice it.