Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
ICMForum's Favourite Movies 2019 Edition (Nominations: Midnight Saturday Mar 23rd)
Polls: Fantasy (Results), 1921 awards (Mar 21st), Academy Awards (Mar 22nd), Children (Apr 7th), DtC Voting (Apr 25th)
Challenges: French, War, Female Directors
World Cup: Semi finals schedule, SF-B (Mar 21st->Mar 24th)
Film of the Week: Le vieux fusil

The Political Lounge

User avatar
RBG
Posts: 5902
Joined: Feb 13, 2016
Location: desert usa
Contact:

Re: The Political Lounge

#5841

Post by RBG » March 15th, 2019, 11:50 pm



they crossed the rubicon. WINNING. they are very organized and they elected our president. ignore them at your peril

they're not crazy and they're not dumb. they just have an overbiding interest in keeping a white majority in this country. which just so happens to coincide with republican interests. this is the battle for our lives. i swear if trump somehow stays in office past 2020 i'm going underground

he's quoted today as saying he doesn't see a problem with rising white nationalism, but there is a huge, tremendous crisis at our southern border with (brown) families coming over -- terrorist, rapist, criminals trafficking their own children or something. he will never condemn islamophobia. the breitbart link, since deleted, was a mssg to his followers. what really hurts my heart is these families from honduras and guatemala are native americans who have more right to be here than any of us. i'm sick to death of people acting like these events are random and i fear it will get worse

i don't want to live in a world like this. now i'm gonna go watch the handmaid's tale :folded:
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Grunge Rock & Ally McBeal
Posts: 94
Joined: Feb 28, 2019
Contact:

#5842

Post by Grunge Rock & Ally McBeal » March 16th, 2019, 1:16 am

They say Tarrant was eerily calm at his first court appearance. They should put him in the general population of the prison with the Maoris. They'd sort him out real quick.

User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 5816
Joined: Jun 17, 2015
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#5843

Post by xianjiro » March 16th, 2019, 2:37 am

And to think, The X-Files could have been nothing more than Mulder staring at a computer screen with a poster hanging on the wall with a picture of screen and the words:

THE TRUTH IS IN HERE

WWSD? :huh:

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Cippenham
Donator
Posts: 11515
Joined: May 09, 2011
Location: Dorset England
Contact:

#5844

Post by Cippenham » March 17th, 2019, 10:26 pm

Is a lone person with severe mental health issues, a dangerous person with dangerous ideas, perhaps on drugs, but acting entirely alone and not part of any group, correctly classified as a Terrorist? For me they have to be part of some organised group to be so considered.

User avatar
RBG
Posts: 5902
Joined: Feb 13, 2016
Location: desert usa
Contact:

#5845

Post by RBG » March 17th, 2019, 10:48 pm

https://4thgenwar.wordpress.com/2016/07 ... -shooting/
William Lind is widely acknowledged by relevant scholars as by far the most important promoter of the “cultural Marxism“ conspiracy theory concerning the alleged origin of “political correctness” – a plot Lind alleges was launched, nearly a century ago by Jewish Marxist intellectuals from the “Frankfurt School”, to destroy America and Western Christian civilization.

In 2002 Lind told attendees at a Holocaust denial conference, concerning the architects of the alleged cultural Marxism plot against America, that “These guys were all Jewish”

Lind’s writing on the “cultural Marxism” conspiracy theory helped directly inspire one of Europe’s worst terrorist attacks in decades – the 2011 slaughter of 77, mostly teenagers, and wounding of 319 in Norway. According to the neo-Nazi perpetrator Anders Behring Breivik, he intended his terrorist attack as a “marketing method” to publicize his political manifesto that featured, as it core thesis, the “cultural Marxism” conspiracy theory.
they're more organized than we know. there's no known history of mental health issues or drug abuse with this guy. they're not that different than jihadis and the internet has decentralized everything to allow people to be radicalized anywhere. the guy had a lot of historical references on his gear -- to the crusades, ottoman empire, etc, all alt-right tropes
William S. Lind is an influential arch-conservative ideologue of the Paleoconservative right — a tendency that runs from the nativist populism of Pat Buchanan and the “libertarian” Christian Reconstructonism-tinged politics of Ron Paul over to overtly racist, white nationalist, neo-Nazi, and theocratic Christian groups (both in the small but heavily influential Christian Reconstructionism movement but also in some of the more nativist streams of Christian dominionism within the vastly larger charismatic movement.)

Paleoconservatives like Buchanan, Paul, and Lind tend to oppose U.S. interventionism and “nation building” – which they consider to be typically stupid, ineffective, and costly. They view immigration – especially Muslim and Hispanic immigration – as an existential threat which could destroy the nation.

They decry the deindustrialization of America and oppose globalization and neo-Liberal free trade policies. They regard Wall Street’s financial machinations as parasitic and detrimental to the economic well-being of average Americans. And, they are partial to conspiracy theories in which secret elites, typically Jewish, scheme to rule or conquer the world and enslave humanity.
gee does any of this sound familiar to you cipp :satstunned: it's been inspirational to the tea party, holocaust deniers, the alt-right and the militia movement

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankfurt ... acy_theory
In contemporary usage, the term Cultural Marxism refers to an anti-semitic conspiracy theory which claims that the Frankfurt School is part of an ongoing academic and intellectual effort to undermine and destroy Western culture. According to the conspiracy theory, which emerged in the late 1990s, the Frankfurt School and other Marxist theorists were part of a conspiracy to attack Western society by undermining traditionalist conservatism using the 1960s counterculture, multiculturalism, progressive politics and political correctness.

This conspiracy theory is associated with American religious paleoconservatives such as William S. Lind, Pat Buchanan, and Paul Weyrich; but also holds currency among the alt-right, white nationalist groups, and the neo-reactionary movement....

the conspiracy theory is used to demonize various conservative "bêtes noires" including "feminists, homosexuals, secular humanists, multiculturalists, sex educators, environmentalists, immigrants, and black nationalists"
when the USSR collapsed, this bogeyman took its place on the right but it's roots go back to world war 1. this guy also knows trump :blink:

Image

Image

even more disturbing, trump went to church today, after ranting for hours about 'political correctness' being used to stifle his beloved fox news' islamophobia, just days after a massacre whose victims he hasn't deigned to mention. anyway i don't know why i waste my time as you'll go on defending him and repeating the same bs
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Grunge Rock & Ally McBeal
Posts: 94
Joined: Feb 28, 2019
Contact:

#5846

Post by Grunge Rock & Ally McBeal » March 18th, 2019, 12:19 am

Interestingly enough president Obama didn't enter a mosque until the end of his two terms in office, despite frequent invitations by Islamic leaders.

User avatar
RBG
Posts: 5902
Joined: Feb 13, 2016
Location: desert usa
Contact:

#5847

Post by RBG » March 18th, 2019, 12:27 am

wtf does that have to do with anything. you think obama was secretly islamophobic? that would be so strange since trump thinks he's secretly a muslim? jesus christ :facepalm: i'm gonna go watch a film
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

User avatar
Kublai Khan
Posts: 373
Joined: Nov 09, 2014
Location: Sarasota, FL
Contact:

#5848

Post by Kublai Khan » March 18th, 2019, 2:03 am

Grunge Rock & Ally McBeal wrote:
March 18th, 2019, 12:19 am
Interestingly enough president Obama didn't enter a mosque until the end of his two terms in office, despite frequent invitations by Islamic leaders.
I know it's hard to believe since Obama didn't spend a lot of time tweet-whining about it, but there were a lot of Republican people and groups publicly and repeatedly questioning whether Obama was really a Christian and even insinuating that he was a secret muslim. Pew polls regularly reported that 30% of Republicans believed that Obama was muslim. This was repeatedly used as an attack on him by people that also hate muslims.

I imagine the decision not to visit mosques was a political image decision not to give any fuel to dumb fires. Obama did host Islamic leaders at the White House during events like the Iftar dinner during Ramadan. A tradition started in 1996 and continued until Trump cancelled it.

Grunge Rock & Ally McBeal
Posts: 94
Joined: Feb 28, 2019
Contact:

#5849

Post by Grunge Rock & Ally McBeal » March 18th, 2019, 4:10 am

'I know it's hard to believe since Obama didn't spend a lot of time tweet-whining about it, but there were a lot of Republican people and groups publicly and repeatedly questioning whether Obama was really a Christian and even insinuating that he was a secret muslim. Pew polls regularly reported that 30% of Republicans believed that Obama was muslim. This was repeatedly used as an attack on him by people that also hate muslims. '

That was a widely reported story. Everyone who watches the news or follows politics was aware of it.

Cippenham
Donator
Posts: 11515
Joined: May 09, 2011
Location: Dorset England
Contact:

#5850

Post by Cippenham » March 18th, 2019, 7:41 am

I suppose to test if a conspiracy theory is true or false you have to look at the evidence. Is that possible to do on an objective basis? Sometimes, like the flat earth theory, or the moon landings are fake theory. But others seem highly plausible so it is more difficult.

User avatar
RBG
Posts: 5902
Joined: Feb 13, 2016
Location: desert usa
Contact:

#5851

Post by RBG » March 18th, 2019, 12:07 pm

i guess i shouldn't be shocked that you're implying that the 'cultural marxism' theory is true
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Cippenham
Donator
Posts: 11515
Joined: May 09, 2011
Location: Dorset England
Contact:

#5852

Post by Cippenham » March 18th, 2019, 1:09 pm

Cultural Marxism is a thing, it’s the main policy of globalists but it is full of contradictions. They support minoroties but when you have a conflict between those groups they have a problem. So I am afraid the weaker of the minority groups lose out in those circumstances.

PirateJenny
Posts: 110
Joined: Feb 21, 2019
Contact:

#5853

Post by PirateJenny » March 18th, 2019, 1:30 pm

Wasn't Marx a giant of political theory? And the cultural part is freudian psychology/public opinion/(negative) dialectics?
Add them together and I don't see why it's being called a conspiracy theory?! :shrug:

matthewscott8
Donator
Posts: 1240
Joined: May 13, 2015
Contact:

#5854

Post by matthewscott8 » March 18th, 2019, 2:11 pm

It's very obvious to me from talking to people who call themselves "liberals" (I don't know how else to categorise them, they're not liberals, but I would have trouble putting them on a political axis chart), that they have conflicting beliefs, as I've outlined on the other thread, someone's an idiot if they believe in God, but if they're a Muslim their view is to be respected, also women should have equal rights, but not if they're Muslims. Also actually even more bizarrely I know female feminists who actively seek to be degraded by men on the S&M scene. So there are definitely a group of people out there with some very confused and conflicting opinions that they try and just hierarchicalise or compartmentalise when they don't make sense together. Many people on the right refer to this as "cultural Marxism", I would prefer to avoid using trigger terms like this as people stop making sense when they're used. The origins of it... I have always thought they fell out the failures of '68. But the history of the beliefs is pretty secondary to me. I certainly don't think there is a conspiracy, a lot of people with these beliefs will support each other and try and monopolise positions of authority in educational establishments (the ballot box has never worked out for them). But I don't think that is a "conspiracy". Certainly I can't point to anything being illegal, or any secret organisations being involved.

PirateJenny
Posts: 110
Joined: Feb 21, 2019
Contact:

#5855

Post by PirateJenny » March 18th, 2019, 2:15 pm

My friend told me one of the only conspiracy theories that I like, the Spartan rule theory.

Image

Apparently it's so arcane and clandestine that nobody would expect it and is based on men screwing with little boys minds, pizza gate and so on is just a cover, and so ultimately everyone wants to be ruled by someone.

User avatar
St. Gloede
Moderator
Posts: 9531
Joined: May 06, 2011
Contact:

#5856

Post by St. Gloede » March 18th, 2019, 2:22 pm

PirateJenny wrote:
March 18th, 2019, 1:30 pm
Wasn't Marx a giant of political theory? And the cultural part is freudian psychology/public opinion/(negative) dialectics?
Add them together and I don't see why it's being called a conspiracy theory?! :shrug:
"Cultural Marxism" is the conspiracy theory that politicians, global corporations, and other powerful individuals (professors, journalists, etc.) are pushing for political correctness, multiculturalism and open borders in order to destabilize western/"white" culture, and bring in totalitarian "communism" (and/or end the white race).

It originated from the Nazis in the 1930s, then as "Cultural Bolshevism", with a clearer tie to Jews, though many still believe Jews are behind this "globalist plot" today.

-

It has nothing to do with Marxism, people analyzing culture through a Marxist lense, or people arguing for Marxist views. In fact, the people labelled as cultural Marxists are usually Liberals advocating standard Liberal views, such as free markets, anti-racism, globalization, etc. or just any kind of left wing individual. Many don't actually realize the full extent of the conspiracy theory itself and believes it only refers to political correctness or multiculturalism however, so there is room for deniability.

User avatar
OldAle1
Donator
Posts: 3135
Joined: Feb 09, 2017
Location: Dairyland, USA
Contact:

#5857

Post by OldAle1 » March 18th, 2019, 2:24 pm

St. Gloede wrote:
March 18th, 2019, 2:22 pm
PirateJenny wrote:
March 18th, 2019, 1:30 pm
Wasn't Marx a giant of political theory? And the cultural part is freudian psychology/public opinion/(negative) dialectics?
Add them together and I don't see why it's being called a conspiracy theory?! :shrug:
"Cultural Marxism" is the conspiracy theory that politicians, global corporations, and other powerful individuals (professors, journalists, etc.) are pushing for political correctness, multiculturalism and open borders in order to destabilize western/"white" culture, and bring in totalitarian "communism" (and/or end the white race).

It originated from the Nazis in the 1930s, then as "Cultural Bolshevism", with a clearer tie to Jews, though many still believe Jews are behind this "globalist plot" today.

-

It has nothing to do with Marxism, people analyzing culture through a Marxist lense, or people arguing for Marxist views. In fact, the people labelled as cultural Marxists are usually Liberals advocating standard Liberal views, such as free markets, anti-racism, globalization, etc. or just any kind of left wing individual. Many don't actually realize the full extent of the conspiracy theory itself and believes it only refers to political correctness or multiculturalism however, so there is room for deniability.
But Cipp believes it, and he's obviously the smartest, best-educated, and most rational person here, so FAIL!

PirateJenny
Posts: 110
Joined: Feb 21, 2019
Contact:

#5858

Post by PirateJenny » March 18th, 2019, 2:36 pm

Isn't it possible to claim it is true support it (I'm white British) as it's based on sound theory though? E.g. Fabian globalism, even if I don't like certain things that governments do.
Last edited by PirateJenny on March 18th, 2019, 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

matthewscott8
Donator
Posts: 1240
Joined: May 13, 2015
Contact:

#5859

Post by matthewscott8 » March 18th, 2019, 2:38 pm

Cippenham wrote:
March 17th, 2019, 10:26 pm
Is a lone person with severe mental health issues, a dangerous person with dangerous ideas, perhaps on drugs, but acting entirely alone and not part of any group, correctly classified as a Terrorist? For me they have to be part of some organised group to be so considered.
If you are having lucid hallucinations where, maybe you see God telling you do some crazy stuff, or you believe you're Napoleon, that sort of crap, then you have a mental illness get out card. Depression and anxiety on the other hand aren't mental illness get outs. Neither is taking recreational drugs as that's commonplace for Western youngsters. Neither is doing something on drugs as you chose to take the drugs.

I think we'll find out he was part of an organised group, I saw a family member on tv, I think it was his Auntie. She said that he travelled abroad and came back a different person. Also this seems to be part of some coordinated murders and assaults globally. I don't know whether he has a membership card of a group, but I think he definitely meets any criteria I can think of when thinking about the word terrorist, and I think whilst this is apparent now it looks like it will become abundantly clear once his computer is analysed.

matthewscott8
Donator
Posts: 1240
Joined: May 13, 2015
Contact:

#5860

Post by matthewscott8 » March 18th, 2019, 2:41 pm

I am still angry about people claiming that Thomas Mair wasn't a terrorist when he shot Jo Cox in what was a blatant political assassination.

User avatar
St. Gloede
Moderator
Posts: 9531
Joined: May 06, 2011
Contact:

#5861

Post by St. Gloede » March 18th, 2019, 2:52 pm

PirateJenny wrote:
March 18th, 2019, 2:36 pm
Isn't it possible to claim it is true support it (I'm white British) as it's based on sound theory though? E.g. Fabian globalism, even if I don't like certain things that governments do.
What do you mean? That you can believe in the conspiracy theory and support the purported perpetrators in their aim? Sure, it is possible ...

Or do you mean that the idea that capitalist corporations are working to establish communism is founded on sound theory?

"Fabian Globalism" is another conspiracy theory where those who believe it have just replaced the Illuminati/NWO with the Fabian Society. Now many Fabians may indeed want a world of global collaboration, and they certainly argue for slow implementation of socialism, but making them a super power in the world, again with a nefarious aim, is out of nowhere. (Also worth noting that while Marxists of course did join the Fabian Society, Fabianism and Marxism were opposing forces in the socialist sphere).

PirateJenny
Posts: 110
Joined: Feb 21, 2019
Contact:

#5862

Post by PirateJenny » March 18th, 2019, 3:11 pm

St. Gloede wrote:
March 18th, 2019, 2:52 pm
PirateJenny wrote:
March 18th, 2019, 2:36 pm
Isn't it possible to claim it is true support it (I'm white British) as it's based on sound theory though? E.g. Fabian globalism, even if I don't like certain things that governments do.
What do you mean? That you can believe in the conspiracy theory and support the purported perpetrators in their aim? Sure, it is possible ...

Or do you mean that the idea that capitalist corporations are working to establish communism is founded on sound theory?

"Fabian Globalism" is another conspiracy theory where those who believe it have just replaced the Illuminati/NWO with the Fabian Society. Now many Fabians may indeed want a world of global collaboration, and they certainly argue for slow implementation of socialism, but making them a super power in the world, again with a nefarious aim, is out of nowhere. (Also worth noting that while Marxists of course did join the Fabian Society, Fabianism and Marxism were opposing forces in the socialist sphere).
Yeah. I believe it and can see the mechanisms in place that are doing it. Though communism as we've seen it has always been a revolutionary interpretation of Marxist ideas, which were more a critique of capitalist society, with ruling elites and underclasses. That's my take anyway?

The Fabian Society isn't a conspiracy either, anymore than the British Union of Fascists was a conspiracy, the labour party grew out of it. To me it just denotes a method of slow progression as an ideal, or towards globalism, which is a reality. I mean if I could afford a holiday apartment in the med I'd go there now. :lol:

Cippenham
Donator
Posts: 11515
Joined: May 09, 2011
Location: Dorset England
Contact:

#5863

Post by Cippenham » March 18th, 2019, 3:13 pm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurocommunism

It’s based on a revisionist idea of communism called eurocommunism. Later with people like Corbyn they plan on full communism once the cultural Trojan horse is accepted as it is by corporations and the liberal left.

Cippenham
Donator
Posts: 11515
Joined: May 09, 2011
Location: Dorset England
Contact:

#5864

Post by Cippenham » March 18th, 2019, 3:15 pm

You will find drugs play a major role in these events that are branded as terrorism, not saying there isn’t terrorism.

User avatar
St. Gloede
Moderator
Posts: 9531
Joined: May 06, 2011
Contact:

#5865

Post by St. Gloede » March 18th, 2019, 3:24 pm

PirateJenny wrote:
March 18th, 2019, 3:11 pm
St. Gloede wrote:
March 18th, 2019, 2:52 pm
PirateJenny wrote:
March 18th, 2019, 2:36 pm
Isn't it possible to claim it is true support it (I'm white British) as it's based on sound theory though? E.g. Fabian globalism, even if I don't like certain things that governments do.
What do you mean? That you can believe in the conspiracy theory and support the purported perpetrators in their aim? Sure, it is possible ...

Or do you mean that the idea that capitalist corporations are working to establish communism is founded on sound theory?

"Fabian Globalism" is another conspiracy theory where those who believe it have just replaced the Illuminati/NWO with the Fabian Society. Now many Fabians may indeed want a world of global collaboration, and they certainly argue for slow implementation of socialism, but making them a super power in the world, again with a nefarious aim, is out of nowhere. (Also worth noting that while Marxists of course did join the Fabian Society, Fabianism and Marxism were opposing forces in the socialist sphere).
Yeah. I believe it and can see the mechanisms in place that are doing it. Though communism as we've seen it has always been a revolutionary interpretation of Marxist ideas, which were more a critique of capitalist society, with ruling elites and underclasses. That's my take anyway?

The Fabian Society isn't a conspiracy either, anymore than the British Union of Fascists was a conspiracy, the labour party grew out of it. To me it just denotes a method of slow progression as an ideal, or towards globalism, which is a reality. I mean if I could afford a holiday apartment in the med I'd go there now. :lol:
The claim wasn't that the Fabian Society was not a conspiracy, the idea that they have Illuminati like power with hands in everything is the conspiracy.

Without intending any offense believing that the Fabian conspiracy is real because the Fabian society exists is like arguing that the moon landing was fake because Stanley Kubrick was a real person.

I strongly support the Fabian aim (in fact one of my favorite political philosophers, GDH Cole was their leader for about 20 years - though they have moved a further right), but believing they are an incredibly powerful covert organization with eyes and strings everywhere simply has no basis in any evidence.

Why is it that you believe that corporations are secretly working to implement communism? All of their actions, such as driving down wages and lobbying to get the politicians of their back/to help them, would be exactly what your standard corporation would do. What have made you believe them they are covertly Marxist as opposed to working for their own profits?

Cippenham
Donator
Posts: 11515
Joined: May 09, 2011
Location: Dorset England
Contact:

#5866

Post by Cippenham » March 18th, 2019, 3:34 pm

Socialism, communism has never worked and cannot. You start redistribution of wealth and you end up redistribution of poverty. You can only confiscate the wealth and income that exists at a given moment. You cannot confiscate future wealth or income and that future wealth or income is less likely to be produced if it is likely to be confiscated. Give a someone a fish and it feeds him or her for a day but teach him or her to fish and they have food for life. So if you announce future tax rises in advance you reduce incentives to create that wealth and tax revenue goes down and not up. People like Sanders and this OC person have no understanding of this so their policies would of course be disastrous.

Cippenham
Donator
Posts: 11515
Joined: May 09, 2011
Location: Dorset England
Contact:

#5867

Post by Cippenham » March 18th, 2019, 3:35 pm

Ask someone in Venezuela for example

Cippenham
Donator
Posts: 11515
Joined: May 09, 2011
Location: Dorset England
Contact:

#5868

Post by Cippenham » March 18th, 2019, 3:36 pm

I am saying corporations have adopted cultural Marxism, not economic yet until they are forced to by a government

PirateJenny
Posts: 110
Joined: Feb 21, 2019
Contact:

#5869

Post by PirateJenny » March 18th, 2019, 3:38 pm

Reading about the Prague Spring under EuroCommunism makes me want to go and watch some Czech New Wave.
I think that's one unusual thing about the European Union, the amount of post-Perestroika countries in the new block. Not necessarily a bad thing I don't think. I've read about European projects called ending Zero-Sum thinking, in other words, what's good for one can be good for another, new strategic alliances get built.

My home city of Birmingham has had historic post empire 'multiculturalism', but also had it's own Frankfurt School or 'Birmingham School of Cultural Studies' that said people could live side by side without the need for 'soft' psychological intrusion. Half of the fallout from these terror cases is an unfortunate result of that and the institutionalised tabloid free press.

I don't believe we will ever see another Communist revolution in Europe or many other places though. Though some end to austerity would be nice. :party:

matthewscott8
Donator
Posts: 1240
Joined: May 13, 2015
Contact:

#5870

Post by matthewscott8 » March 18th, 2019, 3:52 pm

On a slightly different topic, I noticed political correctness and economic neoliberalism being lumped in together. Certainly many powerful people I know would conform to that stereotype. The politically correct agenda is supported by capital, women being allowed into the field of employment theoretically doubled the size of the exploitable workforce, and bullying at work about race, gender or sexuality is disruptive to productivity, so they've made efforts to stop it. On the other hand many people I know who aren't powerful have politically correct views alongside massive antagonism towards economic neoliberalism or at least ambivalence. And I definitely know people who proudly display the hammer and sickle on their facebook pages, who are super politically correct. I have wondered if there could perhaps be less linkages between social and economic questions going forwards.

Certainly I have 2 friends from very different backgrounds recently who both said to me that they wanted an economically socialist/left government, but one that was conservative on moral issues. Their frustration is that, this option isn't set to be on a UK ballot box any time soon.

PirateJenny
Posts: 110
Joined: Feb 21, 2019
Contact:

#5871

Post by PirateJenny » March 18th, 2019, 5:17 pm

I don't know why I hope for it, but being morally liberal (politically correct regimes to me mean authoritarian sexual dominance), I hope the EU will eventually be liberating, but at the same time I think hoping for too much, and is more to do with the Tory government at the moment.

User avatar
Kublai Khan
Posts: 373
Joined: Nov 09, 2014
Location: Sarasota, FL
Contact:

#5872

Post by Kublai Khan » March 18th, 2019, 9:13 pm

matthewscott8 wrote:
March 18th, 2019, 2:11 pm
It's very obvious to me from talking to people who call themselves "liberals" (I don't know how else to categorise them, they're not liberals, but I would have trouble putting them on a political axis chart), that they have conflicting beliefs, as I've outlined on the other thread, someone's an idiot if they believe in God, but if they're a Muslim their view is to be respected, also women should have equal rights, but not if they're Muslims.
I think that maybe you're missing some nuance or empathy/understanding. I've been an atheist in some fairly Christian communities for pretty much my entire life. From an outsider's perspective, there is a strong difference between casual Christians and fundamentalist Christians. Casuals will spare a thought here or there and will observe traditions at big events (weddings, funerals) and maybe holidays but ultimately their lives aren't run by religion. They are just normal folks having normal lives. Fundamentalists are very much involved in the idea of religious order to the point where they seek out ways to include religion inclusion into anything and even use religion to justify any personal preferences they have. Casuals usually won't argue with fundamentalists because they don't spend as much time thinking about religion and usually give up rather than fight.

The Muslims I've met in my life have been casuals so far. They observe some things sometimes out of guilt or a desire for identity, but ignore other stuff. Pretty much the same as casual Christians. Now, I understand that they have fundamentalists running things in many Muslim countries which makes me not want to live there.

Now as an atheist, I do roll my eyes when an argument boils down to "because God commands it" and while idiot is a strong word, I guess I don't respect adherence to an old book as much as some think I should. However I'm not going to dismiss someone's views because they are Christian or Muslim or Hindu or Buddhist (or etc), because there's a chance that they might be a casual and not a fundamentalist.

Also, Muslim women should have equal rights.

User avatar
RBG
Posts: 5902
Joined: Feb 13, 2016
Location: desert usa
Contact:

#5873

Post by RBG » March 18th, 2019, 9:32 pm

PirateJenny wrote:
March 18th, 2019, 5:17 pm
(politically correct regimes to me mean authoritarian sexual dominance)
i don't understand anything anymore. but i 100% agree with kublai khan. i tried to watch the handmaid's tale last week and that was a big mistake

last night it was visitor of a museum. i used to love dystopian sci-fi but it seems i've lost my taste for it :( it's much too real these days
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

PirateJenny
Posts: 110
Joined: Feb 21, 2019
Contact:

#5874

Post by PirateJenny » March 18th, 2019, 9:42 pm

Hey you know I should probably clarify, I'm a man.
The name probably confuses how some of my posts might be taken.

By sexual authoritarianism, in an ideal world I don't think the government should have anything to do with sex, which is the basis of all culture. It all comes from family to me. Which is sex. Otherwise what are people arguing about other than economics and identity wars? If you can undermine fathers you get more government. Too much fathers you get war. Too much mothers and you get too little taxes. Too much women and you get too few fathers.

My point - in East Germany - the most 'political correct' regime - to shut people up they sex harrased them.
In Syria - you've got loads of men going because they want a sex slave.
Last edited by PirateJenny on March 18th, 2019, 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PirateJenny
Posts: 110
Joined: Feb 21, 2019
Contact:

#5875

Post by PirateJenny » March 18th, 2019, 9:49 pm

Look at this from Brazil. They called it the Parrot's Perch.

Image

With the motto 'never again'.

User avatar
RBG
Posts: 5902
Joined: Feb 13, 2016
Location: desert usa
Contact:

#5876

Post by RBG » March 18th, 2019, 9:59 pm

PirateJenny wrote:
March 18th, 2019, 9:42 pm
Hey you know I should probably clarify, I'm a man.

haha of course. i always hope but 9 times out of 10 i'm wrong. oh well
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

PirateJenny
Posts: 110
Joined: Feb 21, 2019
Contact:

#5877

Post by PirateJenny » March 18th, 2019, 10:24 pm

If I could come back as a woman it'd probably be as a Russian Spy or an African Queen.
Though neither of those had my favourite film genre, film noir.


User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 5816
Joined: Jun 17, 2015
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#5879

Post by xianjiro » March 19th, 2019, 6:45 am

so BBC is running the following:
Facebook said on Tuesday that the video was viewed fewer than 200 times during the live broadcast, and about 4,000 times in total before it was removed. The social media company said it removed more than 1.5 million copies of the video in the first 24 hours after the incident, 1.2 million of which were blocked while being uploaded.
source (and other articles about Christchurch)

has anyone see any credible speculation as to why these numbers? who are the people trying to upload this to FB and why? I find it all baffling as "gunman mows down 50" gets the message across loud and clear for me; don't need to see the video, no thanks! I can think of a host of reasons why people might be trying to share this and they range from celebratory to morbid curiosity to disgust to activism, but I still find it troubling. I can't imagine anyone wanting to see such a video for a good reason; even less can I imagine sharing it with my friends, family, and folks like you. How is it not echoing the horror?

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

User avatar
Onderhond
Posts: 2340
Joined: Dec 23, 2012
Contact:

#5880

Post by Onderhond » March 19th, 2019, 7:10 am

xianjiro wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 6:45 am
I find it all baffling as "gunman mows down 50" gets the message across loud and clear for me; don't need to see the video, no thanks! I can think of a host of reasons why people might be trying to share this and they range from celebratory to morbid curiosity to disgust to activism, but I still find it troubling. I can't imagine anyone wanting to see such a video for a good reason; even less can I imagine sharing it with my friends, family, and folks like you. How is it not echoing the horror?
We're 6-7 billion and we're all a little different from each other. 1/4000 people might've had a good enough reason to want to see it.
Our brains isn't made to deal with those kids of numbers, so I wouldn't try to draw too many conclusions from it.

Post Reply