Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: 2007 (Results), 2017 awards (Dec 21st), 1955 (Dec 27th), Directors (Dec 31st), Underrated (Jan 3rd), Knockout competition (Round 5)
Challenges: Documentary, Travel the World, Italy
Film of the Week: Le septième juré, December nominations (Dec 27th)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1A: Canada vs England vs Estonia vs Iran (Dec 29th)

What game(s) are you playing now?

mightysparks
Site Admin

Re: What game(s) are you playing now?

Post by mightysparks » December 2nd, 2019, 4:20 am

We ended up finishing Overcooked a few days ago, as well as getting 3 stars on every level of the main campaign. Then we did the two DLC things, but some of them were pretty hard and we didn't get 3 stars on all of them (the Christmassy map was really tough). We got Overcooked 2 and finished that last night. Overcooked 2 was much easier, there are only 3 levels we didn't get full stars on and barely had to replay any levels, but after you beat the boss there's an extra 4th star for every level which is basically impossible. We haven't done any DLC yet. I didn't realise the games were made with 4 players in mind, I feel like it would be too easy and also too hectic with that many people, but it's pretty good with two (and the scores needed change depending on how many players so it's never too unfair).

We also got A Way Out for the PS4. It's ok, but it's too easy and basic. The characters and story are not as interesting and fully fleshed out as they should be for a game that's more story-based, and the gameplay mechanics and plot progression are just too simple. Failing is nearly impossible, and there's no strategizing or much thinking required for any part of it. Look around enough and you'll find what you need. We escaped the prison, but haven't finished the rest of it yet and the next part of the game isn't as exciting as breaking out of a prison and there's not much to get you invested in the story by this point so we're not in a huge rush to finish it.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » December 2nd, 2019, 10:08 pm

This is technically an earlier review. Just posted it now instead of the entire series in one video because I didn't wanna make a 50 minute long video. It seems too long for people to see. Although to be fair I got recommended a review of Pathologic that was over 2 hours long and it got tons of views.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » December 4th, 2019, 2:02 am

If a game includes a mechanic that is super annoying and is left on by default, but you have the ability to turn it off, would you let it affect your score?

A game I'm playing now has a potential to get a 10/10, but that one thing completely ruined it. Just not sure if I should count it if it's technically optional.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » December 4th, 2019, 3:10 am

Pretentious Hipster wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 2:02 am
If a game includes a mechanic that is super annoying and is left on by default, but you have the ability to turn it off, would you let it affect your score?

A game I'm playing now has a potential to get a 10/10, but that one thing completely ruined it. Just not sure if I should count it if it's technically optional.
If it's optional, but you don't like it, just turn it off and pretend it doesn't exist.

Are you talking about Chrono Trigger? I see that it's next on your list.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » December 4th, 2019, 3:24 am

mjf314 wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 3:10 am
Pretentious Hipster wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 2:02 am

If it's optional, but you don't like it, just turn it off and pretend it doesn't exist.

Are you talking about Chrono Trigger? I see that it's next on your list.
Nah. I reordered the list but didn't update it yet. Might not update it so they'll be a surprise. I'm delaying the non-hd console games until the new year when I get the retrotink 2x. I think chrono trigger was like 15th or 20th in line?

Since you posted it's funny because I thought about it today. I rewatched my mario review recently and it made me cringe. A good sign though because that means I'm improving.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » December 6th, 2019, 12:52 am

As a gift to myself for finishing all my assessments, I bought Pokemon Shield and Luigi's Mansion 3 yesterday. I haven't finished a Pokemon game in maybe 10 years, and stopped buying every single one around that time as well. I played a bit of Let's Go but it felt too empty and I couldn't get into it. I saw a lot of negative things about Sword/Shield on the Pokemon Reddit (particularly on how many Pokemon from older gens aren't included), I tried to avoid reading anything about it but I got the impression that it wasn't like the other games.

Idk what those people were on about because it feels just like the old games and I played for like 8 hours straight yesterday having a ball. It feels like any other sequel where they pick and choose which Pokemon are in it so I'm not too fussed about not seeing all the old favourites. The newer generations have not been as interesting since like gen 4/5, and the names are awful but it still just feels like Pokemon. I was given Pokemon Silver for Christmas in 2000 and seeing the game evolve into this fully 3D world you can explore, see the Pokemon walking around etc is really awesome. I'm still annoyed they haven't bothered giving all the Pokemon proper sounds and we still don't have proper animation battles for every move. At first I was annoyed that exp share is automatic and that you get exp for catching Pokemon, but it actually just takes out some of the harsher parts of the grind and you can focus on more fun things instead. It showing you what type each move is and whether it's effective or not is a little bit too hand-holdy for me, I remember studying all the type match-ups as a kid and now it just tells you which moves to use so it's kind of stupid and takes away some of the battle strategy. I'm still hoping for a massive Pokemon universe game instead of repeating the same RPG for the next 20 years but Nintendo doesn't seem interested...

I played a little bit of Luigi's Mansion 3 and it seems fun so far. I've only played the first one and was close to finishing, but don't remember much other than it felt like a pretty unique and refreshing game. Oh, and I got the free trial for online on the Switch hoping to play Trivial Pursuit Live. I got plonked into a game in the fourth round (out of five), won the game, then couldn't find any other games. That's probably the only game I'd really want to play online but no-one else does :'(
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » Today, 4:24 am

Been improving my photoshop skills slowly as well. Able to extract titles from game screens and for one of them I managed to partially match the title's gradient for the text that says review. I'm now able to do 45 seconds to a minutes worth of audio at a time. Looks like I'm still on the path of improvement and hopefully soon I'll express more confidence and emotion with my voice.

I am more motivated now too, and unfortunately there's like no job postings this month, so expect reviews to be posted more frequently.