For the last 9 months I have been joined by last years programming team of St. Gloede, Fergenaprido, filmbantha, Beavis, Onderhond and Sol as well as new member, former Jury member matthewscott8, where we have been watching countless amount of movies that had potential to be included in the Festival. From these watches we nominated 183 films between us that we felt deserved to be considered for those 50 places. With us watching each other nominations we have nailed it down to 39 movies we believe are the best of the lot and are potential to fill out the Main Slate, but to get to our final 10 we leave that choice up to the Jury for this years festival.
Before the programmers can fill out the Minor Slates, we invite all people who want to participate in the festival and can commit to the obligations of the Juror listed below, to sign up to the jury. In return for this commitment you can choose amongst you from the 39 movies that we have rated most highly what movies will end up on that Main Slate and therefore consist of your main obligation.
While the Jury does decide the make-up of the final Main Slate the Programming team does hold the right to name a Centrepiece film for the festival and once again we have decided to do so, choosing Playground (Un Monde)  to take the first place on the Main Slate. This therefore leaves 9 spots for the jury to fill from the remaining 38 movies chosen by the programming team for consideration.
What does a juror do?
- An official juror commits to watching the Main Slate, and at least one of the Minor Slates
- They have a say in creating the Main Slate from the below list of titles that are the very best from what the programmers have found
- They have the month of October to sign up as a juror in this thread and decide together on the 9 slots to fill
- This can be by discussion, voting or otherwise. Selections can be made on how much you liked what you already saw, how much you'd like to see a movie, or other criteria of your choosing: make the Slate as attractive as possible for all participants.
- During the festival they watch and discuss movies along with everybody else, although they could also work ahead a bit if they want before the festival has started
- After the festival they present their winners of the Main Slate and each section, with as much or as little fanfare as they choose (but a small jury report would be a fun thing to add?).
- We have established as a rule over time that any casual participant who enjoys the festival and has watched a complete section automatically becomes an unofficial juror on that section.
While the Jury has all of October to choose the Main Slate, the earlier a consensus is made the more time the programming team has a chance to fill out the Minor Slates with any unchosen movies as well as ones that didn't make this pool of movies before the start of the Festival and proper promotion of the Festival can commence. I will state though you don't need to rush, take your time and consider things properly and if you are only finding this post later in the month, do not fret, you are still most welcome to join the Jury.
In my next post I'll present the list of 38 titles we created for the jurors to select their preferred and ideal festival Main Slate from.
Please join along by signing up as a juror
and mark the festival dates on your calendars!!