Welcome to the ICM Forum.
Check out our Magazine

If you notice any issues please post in the Q&A thread. Email issue should be fixed. If you encounter this issue, contact PeacefulAnarchy
Talking Images Podcast: Episode 86 released November 15th: ICMF-FF7: Talkin' Main Slate & Highlights
iCinema Magazine: WE ARE LIVE! (We just need more content)
ICMF-FF7: Main Slate, Genre Based Minor Slates, Geographical Based Minor Slates
World Cup - Season 5: Final (Dec 3rd)
Polls: 1926 (Results), Animation (Results), India (Results), Top Ten (Dec 22nd), 1995 (Dec 27th), Italy (Dec 27th), Latin America and Caribbean (Dec 31st), Highest Rated (Jan 1st)
Challenges: Documentary, War, Iran and Central Asia
About: Welcome All New Members, Terms of Use, Q&A

2024 Challenge Ideas: Nomination Thread (Nominations Closed)

blocho
Donator

2024 Challenge Ideas: Nomination Thread (Nominations Closed)

Post by blocho »

2024 Challenge Ideas: Nomination Thread

Here is the schedule for the process for determining the 2024 challenge:
September 22 to October 2: Thread for nominating challenge ideas.
October 3 to October 16: Single poll opened to vote on challenge ideas for 2024.
October 17: Discussion can begin on setting up the schedule for the 2024 challenges.

We will continue with the same guidelines from last year:
- Everyone will only be able to nominate up to two challenge ideas for 2024.
- Those who have hosted challenges over the past 12 months will be allowed to nominate more (incentives for hosting).
- You can also nominate fewer than the maximum. It's perfectly fine to just nominate one idea.
- At least a couple of hundred movies should fit into your idea. For example, "movies directed by James Cameron" is not a good nomination because not enough movies fit into that category.

The following users are entitled to nominate more than two Challenge ideas.
Spoiler
blocho - 9 nominations in total (i.e. 7 bonus ideas; one extra idea per challenge hosted)
gunnar - 8
shugs - 6
Fergenaprido - 5
maxwelldeux - 5
peeptoad - 4
sol - 4
zzzorf - 3
flavo5000 - 3
mightysparks - 3
Lammetje - 3
sacmersault - 3
Kublai Khan - 3
Klaus78 - 3
DulceDoes - 3
RogerTheMovieManiac88 - 3
The following challenge ideas are "permanent" and will be placed in the 2024 Challenge Schedule without being voted on:

Horror / Noir / <400 Checks / Documentary / Directed by Women / Western / SciFi+Fantasy / Silent / TraveltheWorld / DTCnominees / 1000<400 / Animation

The following genre challenges are on a rotational basis and will be placed in the 2024 Challenge Schedule without being voted on:

Comedy / Mystery/Thriller / Action

The following genre challenges are on a rotational basis and will be placed in the 2025 Challenge Schedule without being voted on:

Musical / War / Crime

A separate process is used to circle through the Country/Region Challenges.

NOTE: This thread is not a poll, but rather a thread to nominate and discuss poll options.

And without further ado:

The following challenges ideas have been suggested by participants on this thread:

1940s, nominated by cinephage
1950s, nominated by peeptoad
1960s, nominated by Tngy
1980s, nominated by gunnar
21st Century, nominated by gunnar
Academy Awards, nominated by cinephage
AFI Lists, nominated by beasterne
Anthology films, nominated by Onderhond
Banned Films, nominated by Minkin
Biography/Based on a True Story, nominated by peeptoad
Black films, nominated by beasterne
Bronze Medal Hunt (pursue bronze on a few official lists of your choice), nominated by beavis
City Breaks, magnusbernhardsen
Coming of Age movies, nominated by Coryn
Conquer the Time (one movie from each year based on the chronological setting of the movie), nominated by monclivie
Cult/Grindhouse, nominated by shugs
Degrees of Separation, nominated by shugs
Directed by Actors, nominated by Silga
Experimental, nominated by St. Gloede
Films of the Recently Departed, nominated by RogerTheMovieManiac88
High IMDb Rating, nominated by flavo5000
Historical movies, nominated by Tngy
In Competition at Cannes, nominated by sol
LGBTIQ+, nominated by sol
Literature on Film, nominated by jdidaco
Locarno Film Festival, nominated by beavis
Low IMDb Rating, nominated by shugs
Maximalist films, nominated by Onderhond
Miniseries, nominated by blocho
Minority and Lesser Used Languages, nominated by magnusbernhardsen
New Releases, nominated by blocho
One Film from Each Genre, nominated by Silga
One Film from Each ICM List, nominated by sol
One Film from Each Year, nominated by sortile9io
Performance (music, stand-up, dance), nominated by flavo5000
Pre-Code Hollywood, nominated by jdidaco
Religion & Spirituality, nominated by RogerTheMovieManiac88
Run the Actor, nominated by shugs
Run the Director, nominated by shugs
Run the Writer, nominated by shugs
Same Story, Different Films, nominated by OldAle1
Shorts, nominated by klaus78
Sound Films with No Dialogue, nominated by pitchorneirda
Submissions for the Academy Award for Best International Feature, nominated by zzzorf
Time and Memory, nominated by OldAle1
Travel the USA, nominated by Minkin
TSPDT, nominated by klaus78
Unofficial Films, nominated by RogerTheMovieManiac88
Waves from around the World, nominated by St. Gloede
Weird Movies Lists, nominated by sol

Closing date to get your challenge idea nominations in: End of day on October 2 (in your local time zone)
Last edited by blocho on October 3rd, 2023, 4:55 pm, edited 21 times in total.
gunnar

Post by gunnar »

Thanks for hosting, blocho.

One thing that I think that we should discuss is adding decade challenges on a rotational basis similar to the genre challenges. We talked about it a little bit back during the 1970s challenge in June.

If we decided to do that, it might look something like this:

2024 - 1930s, 1960s, 2000s
2025 - 1940s, 1980s, 2010s
2026 - 1950s, 1970s, 1990s

Since the 1970s and 1990s are the most recent decade challenges that were held, I put them in the third year. If they were added in this fashion, this would cut down the number of available slots by 3 each year. 1920s and earlier are mostly covered by the Silent Era challenge, except for a few stray 1920s sound films which could be allowed in the 1930s challenge if the host was so inclined. It also leaves out 2020s, though that could be run as a write in like the New Releases Challenge.

The downside would be 3 fewer slots for new or other ideas, but each decade would only run once every three years. If only 2 slots were allocated, it would take 5 years to run through them all.

Thoughts?
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Adding decade challenges on a rotational basis seems like a fine idea, but I think it has to be a separate discussion. For now, would you nominate any decade challenges you like for 2024, and maybe set up a separate thread or use the Future Challenges thread to discuss adding decade challenges to the rotational groups?
gunnar

Post by gunnar »

Okay, I'll set up a separate thread for discussion.
monclivie

Post by monclivie »

I nominate Conquer The Time challenge that covers any movie set in a specific year, for example Saving Private Ryan is 1944, Blade Runner 2019 and Kingdom of Heaven 1184, and the goal is to collect as many years as you can.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

monclivie wrote: September 22nd, 2023, 7:20 pm I nominate Conquer The Time challenge that covers any movie set in a specific year, for example Saving Private Ryan is 1944, Blade Runner 2019 and Kingdom of Heaven 1184, and the goal is to collect as many years as you can.
Fascinating idea. So movies without a clearly identifiable year would be ineligible? What about movies that take place across multiple years?
monclivie

Post by monclivie »

blocho wrote: September 22nd, 2023, 7:34 pm
monclivie wrote: September 22nd, 2023, 7:20 pm I nominate Conquer The Time challenge that covers any movie set in a specific year, for example Saving Private Ryan is 1944, Blade Runner 2019 and Kingdom of Heaven 1184, and the goal is to collect as many years as you can.
Fascinating idea. So movies without a clearly identifiable year would be ineligible? What about movies that take place across multiple years?
The year would've to be specified or easy to determine (e.g. a film related to some historical event whose date is known). In case of multiple years, I'm not sure, but I guess you should just pick one, based on your judgement/preference.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

- Maximalist films
- Anthology films
beavis

Post by beavis »

- bronze medal hunt
All icm lists are in. You state the amount of bronze you have still to get at the start of the challenge and the aim is to achieve as much of those as possible. Maybe it gets complicated when you get a score for amount of movies seen ánd amount of bronzes achieved? for the leader board that last one might have to be just the "bonus" of this particular challenge

other medals and/or an all medals variant could also exist, but personally the bronzes would get me most motivated I think
beavis

Post by beavis »

- films that premiered and/or competed at ...(insert big festival name)
My personal interest if we'd run that only once would be Locarno. This list could be the basis for eligibility:
https://letterboxd.com/amechsner89/list ... mpetition/
which gives 757 movies for this option at the moment
shugs
Donator

Post by shugs »

Nominating the "Run the ..." ideas, they're always good fun. I hope Run the Writer actually passes the nomination phase this time.
- Run the Actor
- Run the Director
- Run the Writer

For some schlocky goodness:
- Low IMDb Rating
- Cult/Grindhouse

And something that I think I saw proposed a long time ago:
- Six Degrees of Separation

Basically, every movie posted must share a connection with the previous one.

1. Jurassic Park
2. Star Wars - John Williams is involved in both as a composer
3. Red Tails - George Lucas is a producer for this, and the director of Star Wars
4. American Gangster - Cuba Gooding Jr stars in both
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

I'll nominate two challenges that were quite fun in previous years:

Waves From Around the World
Experimental

Knowing I have used up my vote, I'll just be spitballing a few other ideas:

- Recommendations (Each participant recommends X films and gets a new vote after they have seen X films)
- Behind the Iron Curtain (Films made in the Communist Bloc during the Cold War)
- Cold War: Films Specifically About the Cold War (from either side, or after its end)
- Samurai/Chambara (I think we did one before)
- Minimalism

I always keep thinking about setting up an ICMFFF challenge, but given that it goes from the middle of one month to another, it might be better with an unofficial challenge.
sortile9io

Post by sortile9io »

shugs wrote: September 23rd, 2023, 7:59 am And something that I think I saw proposed a long time ago:
- Six Degrees of Separation

Basically, every movie posted must share a connection with the previous one.

1. Jurassic Park
2. Star Wars - John Williams is involved in both as a composer
3. Red Tails - George Lucas is a producer for this, and the director of Star Wars
4. American Gangster - Cuba Gooding Jr stars in both
I guess you mean Degrees of Separation, one of my favourite challenges. It's been held a few times in the past —I was the host in 2017— but the last times I suggested it didn't get enough support. I don't know, maybe people think it can be just too open or vague. If that's the case, it could be easily fixed by restricting the type of connections used, allowing only connections by cast, for example.
peeptoad

Post by peeptoad »

my suggestions-

Biography/Based on a True Story
1950s
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

beavis wrote: September 23rd, 2023, 7:22 am - films that premiered and/or competed at ...(insert big festival name)
My personal interest if we'd run that only once would be Locarno. This list could be the basis for eligibility:
https://letterboxd.com/amechsner89/list ... mpetition/
which gives 757 movies for this option at the moment
Are you nominating Locarno, or is this: pick a festival and see movies that played at that festival?
gunnar

Post by gunnar »

I'll suggest 1980s
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

beavis wrote: September 23rd, 2023, 6:55 am - bronze medal hunt
All icm lists are in. You state the amount of bronze you have still to get at the start of the challenge and the aim is to achieve as much of those as possible. Maybe it gets complicated when you get a score for amount of movies seen ánd amount of bronzes achieved? for the leader board that last one might have to be just the "bonus" of this particular challenge

other medals and/or an all medals variant could also exist, but personally the bronzes would get me most motivated I think
Does this mean that a participant would pursue bronze on only one list and then, once achieved, could move on to another list? Because without that, I think it's actually just: watch movies on an official list challenge.
beavis

Post by beavis »

blocho wrote: September 23rd, 2023, 3:55 pm
beavis wrote: September 23rd, 2023, 7:22 am - films that premiered and/or competed at ...(insert big festival name)
Are you nominating Locarno, or is this: pick a festival and see movies that played at that festival?
Locarno please
(Even though that probably kills the chance of it getting support ;))
beavis

Post by beavis »

blocho wrote: September 23rd, 2023, 4:04 pm
beavis wrote: September 23rd, 2023, 6:55 am - bronze medal hunt
Does this mean that a participant would pursue bronze on only one list and then, once achieved, could move on to another list? Because without that, I think it's actually just: watch movies on an official list challenge.
If it needs that to make it a worthy challenge, sure. Maybe some midway where you can pick 2 or 3 lists, for just a slight bit of variety...?
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Performance (music/stand up/ dance, etc. And would include documentaries about musicians and music videos )

I'll think about it and throw out another one later.
shugs
Donator

Post by shugs »

sortile9io wrote: September 23rd, 2023, 11:37 am
shugs wrote: September 23rd, 2023, 7:59 am
I guess you mean Degrees of Separation, one of my favourite challenges. It's been held a few times in the past —I was the host in 2017— but the last times I suggested it didn't get enough support. I don't know, maybe people think it can be just too open or vague. If that's the case, it could be easily fixed by restricting the type of connections used, allowing only connections by cast, for example.
Yes, that's the one. Got stuck on the six for some reason. I guess we could tune the details if it passes the nomination.
Silga

Post by Silga »

My nominations:

1. One Film From Each Genre. Watch one film from each genre (as designated by IMDb).
Genres
Action
Adventure
Animation
Biography
Comedy
Crime
Documentary
Drama
Family
Fantasy
Film-Noir
History
Horror
Music
Musical
Mystery
Romance
Sci-Fi
Sport
Thriller
War
Western
2. Directed by Actors
gunnar

Post by gunnar »

Silga wrote: September 23rd, 2023, 7:39 pm My nominations:

1. Run the Genres - Could also be called One Film From Each Genre. Watch one film from each genre (as designated by IMDb).
Genres
Action
Adventure
Animation
Biography
Comedy
Crime
Documentary
Drama
Family
Fantasy
Film-Noir
History
Horror
Music
Musical
Mystery
Romance
Sci-Fi
Sport
Thriller
War
Western
This seemed to be fairly popular as a Bonus Challenge during the 1970s Challenge so this sounds good to me.
Tngy

Post by Tngy »

My suggestions:

- Historical movies
- 1960s
pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda »

My only suggestion:

- (Sound) films with no dialogue
"Art is like a fire, it is born from the very thing it burns" - Jean-Luc Godard
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

pitchorneirda wrote: September 25th, 2023, 12:52 am My only suggestion:

That's a cool, new idea. But does it have enough options? I wonder how many movies would fit in this category.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

blocho wrote: September 25th, 2023, 1:09 am

That's a cool, new idea. But does it have enough options? I wonder how many movies would fit in this category.
I found this: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls009216374/

A decent amount of options. Many experimental films would also qualify.
peeptoad

Post by peeptoad »

Looking at the username that made that list just brought back wicked, IMDB troll-memories. That guy is in a federal prison serving time now.
Good list though :D
Last edited by peeptoad on September 25th, 2023, 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

peeptoad wrote: September 25th, 2023, 10:48 am Looking at the username that made that list just brought back wicked, IMDB troll-memories. That guy is in a federal prison service time now.
Good list though :D
Yup, the one actual terrorist (AFAIK) that I've ever interacted with. Here's his Wiki bio. Famous! He must be pleased. Ah that brings back memories. It wasn't much fun dealing with people like that - and I remember he had several good threads deleted "for the lulz" which made the half of us who were not trolls pretty pissed - but it's kind of entertaining looking back on it now from a distance. TIme heals I guess.
It was the truth, vivid and monstrous, that all the while he had waited the wait was itself his portion..
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

I have completely forgotten about this. Wow.
peeptoad

Post by peeptoad »

OldAle1 wrote: September 25th, 2023, 11:29 am Yup, the one actual terrorist (AFAIK) that I've ever interacted with.
The only one that got themselves incarcerated at any rate ;)

Edited to minimize politics in challenge forum. Apologies...
Last edited by peeptoad on September 25th, 2023, 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage »

I would recommend Academy Awards & 1940's challenges
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

OK I have my couple.

I think in a past year's discussion I proposed Time Travel - which really was a bit too restrictive. So on thinking about it, this year I'll propose Films Involving TIme and Memory, which would included any and all time travel/time loop films, but also films that proceed entirely in backwards chronology (i.e. Memento, Betrayal) and films that deliberately follow an achronological pattern, leaping about in time - which would include films like Cloud Atlas, Evolution of a Filipino Family, Once Upon a Time in America, Time Regained, Mirror, Distant Voices Still Lives and the 2019 Little Women. And films where memory, and how it shapes us and how unreliable it can be, is of great importance - I'm thinking Edvard Munch, India Song and for that matter Citizen Kane here. And a good chunk of films from Alain Resnais including Marienbad and Muriel. But not just films that use time/memory in a simple, convenient way to jazz up a story, like a lot of films noir - Out of the Past is a prime example - because often you could remove the "today" framing device from such films and it would change very little. Memory should be a major theme throughout the work.

and I think I may have proposed this before but what the hell, I find coming up with ideas for challenges tough (how're you going to do nine, blocho): Same Story, Different Films - watch at least 3 different versions of the same original story, whether direct remakes of one film or just different adaptations of the same novel/play/comic book/etc. Not as boring as you might think it would be!
It was the truth, vivid and monstrous, that all the while he had waited the wait was itself his portion..
pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda »

Pretty sure there are tons of films that qualify, the challenge is to find a comprehensive list (the one St. Glode found is fine but not great and far from complete)
"Art is like a fire, it is born from the very thing it burns" - Jean-Luc Godard
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

St. Gloede wrote: September 25th, 2023, 10:32 am

I found this: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls009216374/

A decent amount of options. Many experimental films would also qualify.
Thanks. I think this idea works then.
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

I think for my other one I'll propose IMDB Best of the Best, the opposite of the IMDB Low Rated. Only films with 8.5/10 or above on IMDB quality.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

flavo5000 wrote: September 25th, 2023, 6:19 pm I think for my other one I'll propose IMDB Best of the Best, the opposite of the IMDB Low Rated. Only films with 8.5/10 or above on IMDB quality.
So all Bollywood, Turkish films, Russian comedies, and recent TV series then? AWESOME.
Coryn

Post by Coryn »

I would like to nominale 'coming of age' movies.
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

OldAle1 wrote: September 25th, 2023, 7:42 pm
flavo5000 wrote: September 25th, 2023, 6:19 pm I think for my other one I'll propose IMDB Best of the Best, the opposite of the IMDB Low Rated. Only films with 8.5/10 or above on IMDB quality.
So all Bollywood, Turkish films, Russian comedies, and recent TV series then? AWESOME.
:banana: EXACTLY :banana:
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

flavo5000 wrote: September 25th, 2023, 10:55 pm
OldAle1 wrote: September 25th, 2023, 7:42 pm
:banana: EXACTLY :banana:
I just checked because I was curious, and if you look at features films, restricted to those with 1000 votes or more, 34 of the top 50 are Indian (or South Asian - just going by the names, I didn't look closely at each film). 3 are Turkish, 7 are American (the top films on the top 250). And those are all rated 8.9-10.0 (yes, the top fim is rated 10 right now, with just over 1k votes). If you lower the vote numbers it's even more lopsided.