Welcome to the ICM Forum.
Check out our Magazine

If you notice any issues please post in the Q&A thread. Email issue should be fixed. If you encounter this issue, contact PeacefulAnarchy
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 66 released Dec 30th: Is Hype Overhyped?)
Podcast: Talking Images (Special Episode released Jan 8th: The Experiments of Michael Snow)
iCinema Magazine: WE ARE LIVE! (We just need more content)
ICMForum Film Festival 2022 Nov 14 - Dec 12
World Cup - Season 5: Round 1 Schedule, Match 1B (Feb 5th)
Polls: Noir (Results), Spain (Results), Directors (Jan 2nd), 1992 (Jan 28th), Sweden (Jan 31st), China (Feb 7th)
Challenges: 1000<400, Sci-Fi/Fantasy, Central Europe
About: Welcome All New Members, Terms of Use, Q&A

New Years Eve Tradition: Personal Top 100 Greatest Films of All Time

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 »

prodigalgodson wrote: January 25th, 2023, 9:02 amRe: Scorsese, see also Sambizanga, Manila in the Claws of Light, Rhythm Thief....

Ahh Johnny Guitar, aside from Vertigo maybe the greatest film Hollywood will ever create. A poster of it I found in Madrid is probably my most prized possession.
I have seen Sambizanga in the cinema, my verdict was, very interesting perspective (i.e. showing things from the wife's pov), but good rather than great. Manila I have not seen and I didn't realize he was involved in Rhythm Thief.

Since you mentioned posters, an original Italian poster for Desert of the Tartars arrived in the post this afternoon :wub: adding it to my Meandre (Saucan) poster, I have two blue bordered posters for my sky themed room. :wub: :wub: :wub:
cinewest

Post by cinewest »

prodigalgodson wrote: January 25th, 2023, 8:46 am
Torgo wrote: January 25th, 2023, 1:51 am
prodigalgodson wrote: January 25th, 2023, 12:16 am I haven't done a top 100 in a number of years, this list-making is hard work!
:ICM:
The Asian impact on your selection cannot be understated, I think it reaches 50% by 1998-today, and I'm known to like that.
Would have expected just a couple more silent films in your Top 100 - but then, it's already hard enough to fit everything in, right.

What were your latest additions? Of the last year, the Covid times, your current life period - what you wish.
What had to leave, no matter how much you tried to keep it? Or weren't you even sad about some removals?
I hadn't noticed the Asian presence, interesting! Thinking about it, yeah that tracks lol.

Re: silent films, haha well I do have Brakhage, Markopolous, Solomon, and Timoleon Wilkins. I think Sherlock Jr., Sunrise, The Wedding March, and 36 Commissars (and with the broader definition, Images of Asian Music) are the only other ones that might've made top 100 at some point. I like Metropolis, Napoleon, Man with a Movie Camera and the other classics, but they're not quite on the level of personal favorites. There's still a lot I'd like to see, Feuillade, Borzage, La Roue, etc. I feel like we moved on from the silent form just as it was starting to meet its potential. It takes an almost supernatural alignment of vision and craft to create a masterpiece no matter whose shoulders one stands on; making one while still scraping around in the dark laying a medium's foundations is an unlikely achievement.

I can easily answer the question about recent additions, since I watched very little during the last year or two, a lot during lockdown before that, and very little for a number of years before that. Lockdown additions include Limite, Méditerranée, The Hour of the Furnaces, One Day Before the Rainy Season, Inca Light, Landscape Suicide, The Antiquities of Rome, Passion, Rock Hudson's Home Movies, Picture of Light, Gambling Gods and LSD, West of the Tracks, Drifter, Almayer's Folly, Horse Money, On the Beach at Night Alone (? borderline), and An Elephant Sitting Still; and O Sangue I saw at a screening a few months ago. Everything else is from the before times.

Oh yeah, it was tough to part with a lot of titles. Rio Bravo, Shiiku, The Last Movie, Two-Lane Blacktop, The Shining, Khrustalyov, My Car!, Sicilia!, Yi yi, Inland Empire, The Woman on the Beach, Sad Vacation.... Feels weird having no Herzog, Fassbinder, or Lynch.
Your list definitely has a "filmmaker centric" feel to it, meaning that while you have not included certain celebrated filmmakers, you have included multiple entries by others. My own list might be similar in this sense (I have a limit of 3 films for any one filmmaker in my top 100), though I try to spread the love.

One of the tricky things about making such a list is that it's hard to remain clear about what I am choosing: Current influences and favorites? Lifetime influences and favorites? Most important or essential films?

Depending on which intention I have, my list would be quite a bit different...
LeSchpountz

Post by LeSchpountz »

These could be my top 100 movies:

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/le+s ... schpountz/

Maybe?
Born in 1970!
Unfortunately, I can't remember the first film I saw. The following three films that I saw when I was young left strong memories: Krakatit (1948, Vavra), Dance of the Vampires (1967, Polanski), Paper Moon (1973, Bogdanovich)
Favorite Movies? Far too many! The following is a small selection that just came to my mind.: Brief Encounter (1945, Lean), Late Spring (1949, Ozu), La Strada (1954, Fellini), Ordet (1955, Dreyer), The Seventh Seal (1957, Bergman), Elevator to the Gallows (1958, Malle), Cléo from 5 to 7 (1962, Varda), ...