Welcome to the ICM Forum.
Check out our Magazine

If you notice any issues please post in the Q&A thread. Email issue should be fixed. If you encounter this issue, contact PeacefulAnarchy
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 66 released Dec 30th: Is Hype Overhyped?)
Podcast: Talking Images (Special Episode released Jan 8th: The Experiments of Michael Snow)
iCinema Magazine: WE ARE LIVE! (We just need more content)
ICMForum Film Festival 2022 Nov 14 - Dec 12
World Cup - Season 5: Round 1 Schedule, Match 1B (Feb 5th), Match 1C (Feb 26th)
Polls: 1992 (Results), Directors (Results), Sweden (Jan 31st), China (Feb 7th)
Challenges: 1000<400, Sci-Fi/Fantasy, Central Europe
About: Welcome All New Members, Terms of Use, Q&A

Country Poll: Canada [CLOSED]

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 »

Hi there Ferg!

I decided to limit myself to 1 film per director, as I was finding it a challenge to narrow things down. Canada has probably been the toughest outside of the UK and USA to trim down to size.

20 favourites (RANKED):

01. Begone Dull Care (1949, Evelyn Lambart, Norman McLaren)
02. L'homme qui plantait des arbres (1987, Frédéric Back) (French-language version)
03. Tower Bawher (2006, Theodore Ushev)
04. Winter Kept Us Warm (1965, David Secter)
05. 23 Skidoo (1965, Julian Biggs)

06. Variations on a Cellophane Wrapper (1972, David Rimmer)
07. Memory Fade (2009, Carl E. Brown)
08. Au bout de ma rue (1958, Louis-Georges Carrier)
09. Trees of Syntax, Leaves of Axis (2009, Daïchi Saïto)
10. De mere en fille (1968, Anne Claire Poirier)

11. The Ballad of Crowfoot (1969, Willie Dunn)
12. La dernière fugue (2010, Léa Pool)
13. Silos (2003/2011, Karl Lemieux)
14. Very Nice, Very Nice (1961, Arthur Lipsett)
15. Hadwin's Judgement (2015, Sasha Snow)

16. The Metamorphosis of Mr. Samsa (1977, Caroline Leaf)
17. Steam Ballet (1968, John Straiton)
18. My Name Is Kahentiiosta (1995, Alanis Obomsawin)
19. Away from Her (2006, Sarah Polley)
20. The Forbidden Room (2015, Guy Maddin, Evan Johnson)

IMDb links:
Spoiler
Other Canadian films I like a lot and considered for my ballot:
Spoiler
Fine Feathers (1968, Evelyn Lambart)
Blind Vaysha (2016, Theodore Ushev)
Rispondetemi (1992, Léa Pool)
Rickshaw (1960, Allan King)
Pas de deux (1968, Norman McLaren)
Les journaux de Lipsett (2010, Theodore Ushev)
Café de Flore (2011, Jean-Marc Vallée)
Café Olé (2000, Richard Roy)
Rhapsody in Two Languages (1934, Gordon Sparling)
Les bons débarras (1980, Francis Mankiewicz)
The Bead Game (1977, Ishu Patel)
Circle of the Sun (1960, Colin Low)
Blinkity Blank (1955, Norman McLaren)
Entre deux soeurs (1991, Caroline Leaf)
The Sand Castle (1977, Co Hoedeman)
Vertige (1969, Jean Beaudin)
Passing Through/Torn Formations (1988, Philip Hoffman)
A Chairy Tale (1957, Claude Jutra, Norman McLaren)
Mr. Frog Went A-Courting (1974, Evelyn Lambart)
The 4th Life (2006, François Miron)
Figurine (2015, Hans Olson)
Eurynome (1970, John Straiton)
Tu dors Nicole (2014, Stéphane Lafleur)
First Winter (1981, John N. Smith)
Monsieur Lazhar (2011, Philippe Falardeau)
The Heart of the World (2000, Guy Maddin)
Weirdos (2016, Bruce McDonald)
Hydromancy (1998, Gerda Johanna Cammaer)
The Luck of Ginger Coffey (1964, Irvin Kershner)
Silent Night (2002, Rodney Gibbons)
Tit-Coq (1953, René Delacroix, Gratien Gélinas)
Meetings with a Young Poet (2013, Rudy Barichello)
Roger D'Astous (2016, Etienne Desrosiers)
Walk Good (2016, Karen Chapman)
La peur de l'eau (2011, Gabriel Pelletier)
Londeleau (1988, Isabelle Hayeur)
Passage (2008, Karl Lemieux)
:cheers:
Last edited by RogerTheMovieManiac88 on December 2nd, 2022, 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
That's all, folks!
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

zzzorf wrote: December 1st, 2022, 9:59 am If I remember to I will edit my post with all the movies you have disallowed but if not I believe I have enough alternatives for you to move them up otherwise. If that is too much work for you then just leave my list off the tally since I haven't edited it. Will teach me a lesson to not leave it till last minute next time.
you're all good. I used 4 of your 5 alternates and already updated your ballot in my spreadsheet. :thumbsup:
Cinematic Omnivore 🧚‍♂️🦫
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

RogerTheMovieManiac88 wrote: December 1st, 2022, 10:44 am 13. Silos (2003/2011, Karl Lemieux) *no IMDb entry*
17. Steam Ballet (1968, John Straiton) *no IMDb entry*
Lol. Making my life difficult with a last minute ballot with imdbless films. :ph43r:

Send me the info you have on them and I'll try to get them added before Friday so that I can run the results properly. :pray:

I haven't checked the eligibility of your others yet.
Cinematic Omnivore 🧚‍♂️🦫
RogerTheMovieManiac88

Fergenaprido wrote: December 1st, 2022, 10:54 am
RogerTheMovieManiac88 wrote: December 1st, 2022, 10:44 am 13. Silos (2003/2011, Karl Lemieux) *no IMDb entry*
Lol. Making my life difficult with a last minute ballot with imdbless films. :ph43r:

Send me the info you have on them and I'll try to get them added before Friday so that I can run the results properly. :pray:

Here is some info. I don't want you to feel pressured into adding them to IMDb though. I'm perfectly happy for the other 18 films to constitute what you enter as my submission.

https://vitheque.com/en/titles/silos
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm3709340/

https://www.amateurcinema.org/index.php ... eam-ballet
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0833195/
That's all, folks!
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Fergenaprido wrote: November 3rd, 2022, 7:36 pm
filmbantha wrote: November 3rd, 2022, 7:16 pm I have included a few questionable films marked as Canadian according to IMDB that I'm not too sure about and will defer to Ferg's assessment for determining if they are eligible or not. In case any are deemed ineligible I'll include a few runners up that can be moved up if required:

9. The Witch
12. The Lighthouse
16. Gretel & Hansel

Additional if required:

21. Ravenous
22. It's Not Me I Swear
23. A Colony
24. C.R.A.Z.Y.
25. Possessor
The Witch and The Lighthouse are both American, so not eligible.

I have Gretel & Hansel as American, but since Oz Perkins is Canadian let me look into this more. It might also be Irish.

All of your backups are eligible.
I looked into this more, and I'm sticking with my American decision, so it's not eligible, and I'll move A Colony up to the end of your ballot.

Onderhond calls it American, so that's gospel, right? :lol:

From Variety: "Production: A United Artists release of an Orion Pictures, Bron Creative presentation of an Automatik Pictures production." This, to me, indicates that it's primarily and Automatik film, co-produced with Orion & Bron, and then distributed by UA. Automatik & Orion are American and Bron is Canadian, so USA/Canada co-production, but primarily American. This is mirrored in the imdb credits as well.
Cinematic Omnivore 🧚‍♂️🦫
ororama

Post by ororama »

1. Mon Oncle Antoine
2. Next of Kin
3. Bollywood/Hollywood
4. Pontypool
5. Small Town Murder Songs
6. The Decline of the American Empire
7. Dead Ringers
8. Spider
9. Double Happiness
10. Shivers
11. Black Robe
12. Family Viewing
13. Every Dog's Guide to Complete Home Safety
14. Rabid
15. Special Delivery
16. Wilby Wonderful
17. Long Life, Happiness & Prosperity
18. Polytechnique
19. Don't Tell Santa You're Jewish!
20. Boris Without Béatrice
Spoiler
Last edited by ororama on December 2nd, 2022, 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Lakigigar wrote: November 6th, 2022, 10:02 pm 1. Come True
2. Possessor
3. Videodrome
4. Ginger Snaps
5. Enemy
6. Mommy
7. Polytechnique

IMDb lists i'll add later.
Reminder you have about 24 hours to make any changes and add the imdb URLs for your list. Thanks :)
Cinematic Omnivore 🧚‍♂️🦫
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

matthewscott8 wrote: November 8th, 2022, 1:31 pm 19.Silent Trigger (1996 - Russell Mulcahy)
As far as I can tell this is an American film. USA/UK listed on imdb, with US production companies. Everything else I can find online back this up, so I'm calling it not eligible. Feel free to pick a replacement film for your ballot.
Cinematic Omnivore 🧚‍♂️🦫
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Caracortada wrote: November 8th, 2022, 10:44 pm [*]La veuve de Saint-Pierre (2000)
I'm calling this one French so not eligible for this poll. It did receive a Jutra nomination, but it received César ones as well. Primary production companies are French, as are almost all the cast and crew, and it was also considered French by the Golden Globes when it was nominated for the foreign language film award. Filmed in Canada (incidentally at Fortress of Louisbourg, which I finally visited this summer, so now I'm much more interested in seeing this film) as a stand-in for St. Pierre (which is the only part of the colony of New France that is still under French control) with minor Canadian production support, but ultimately French.

So, feel free to pick a replacement film for your ballot.
Cinematic Omnivore 🧚‍♂️🦫
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Angel Glez wrote: November 15th, 2022, 1:05 pm Tucker and Dale vs Evil
The Old Man and the Sea (1999)

Replacement for Petrov's gem (if ineligible):
L'homme qui plantait des arbres
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093488/
Old Man and the Sea is eligible, but Tucker and Dale is not. Do you still want L'homme to replace the latter?
Cinematic Omnivore 🧚‍♂️🦫
Angel Glez

Post by Angel Glez »

Fergenaprido wrote: December 1st, 2022, 11:28 pm

Old Man and the Sea is eligible, but Tucker and Dale is not. Do you still want L'homme to replace the latter?
Sure!
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Gordon_Gekko wrote: November 21st, 2022, 3:14 pm 3. Lighthouse, The
6. Alive
9. Arrival
14. Bang Bang You're Dead

Not sure of some titles (lighthouse, arrival (US?)), so some follow ups:
Amours Imaginaires, Les
Dead Ringers
Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane, The
Exotica
Yeah, Lighthouse, Alive, Arrival, and Bang Bang are all American so not eligible for this poll. Are your follow ups in order to be added at the bottom?
Cinematic Omnivore 🧚‍♂️🦫
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Angel Glez wrote: December 1st, 2022, 11:30 pm
Fergenaprido wrote: December 1st, 2022, 11:28 pm

Sure!
Roger that. Ballot updated in my spreadsheet. :thumbsup:
Cinematic Omnivore 🧚‍♂️🦫
matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 »

Fergenaprido wrote: December 1st, 2022, 11:13 pm
matthewscott8 wrote: November 8th, 2022, 1:31 pm 19.Silent Trigger (1996 - Russell Mulcahy)
As far as I can tell this is an American film. USA/UK listed on imdb, with US production companies. Everything else I can find online back this up, so I'm calling it not eligible. Feel free to pick a replacement film for your ballot.
I don't really know what goes on in the background with this poll. When I made my ballot it was listed as Canadian American on both IMDb and Wikipedia (simple version of Wikipedia still has it listed as Canada, editor didn't get to it). Not the first time sources have been edited in conjunction with the poll. One thing the edits can't change is the film was very obviously shot in Canada. Wikipedia records of the producer Nicolas Clermont that he died on 11 April 2001 in Montreal and "He was noted for his involvement in the Canadian film industry." The production company is called Alongquin Productions which again sounds pretty Canadian. For myself, I'm happy with it being in my list, it's your poll so process my ballot how you will.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

matthewscott8 wrote: December 1st, 2022, 11:34 pm
Fergenaprido wrote: December 1st, 2022, 11:13 pm
I don't really know what goes on in the background with this poll. When I made my ballot it was listed as Canadian American on both IMDb and Wikipedia (simple version of Wikipedia still has it listed as Canada, editor didn't get to it). Not the first time sources have been edited in conjunction with the poll. One thing the edits can't change is the film was very obviously shot in Canada. Wikipedia records of the producer Nicolas Clermont that he died on 11 April 2001 in Montreal and "He was noted for his involvement in the Canadian film industry." The production company is called Alongquin Productions which again sounds pretty Canadian. For myself, I'm happy with it being in my list, it's your poll so process my ballot how you will.
Oh, it was shot in Canada, I'm not disputing that. But soooo many American films are shot here. "Algonquin Productions" could sound Canadian, but the Algonquin peoples also lived in northeast US, so it's not definitive. It could be an American-Canadian co-production, but I would still rule it as majority American and thus ineligible here.

Since it's not eligible, your ballot as it stands would only contain 19 films, so all films would receive one less point than a full ballot of 20. So, you can leave you ballot as is, or you can replace it with another film. It's up to you. :)
Cinematic Omnivore 🧚‍♂️🦫
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Fergenaprido wrote: November 25th, 2022, 10:43 pm
Rufus-T wrote: November 25th, 2022, 10:20 pm Are these eligible?

Splice (2009)
In the Company of Men (1997)
The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane (1976)
The Breadwinner (2017)
Screamers (1995)
Heist (2001)
I'll be going through all the ballots this weekend so I'll look deeper into it, but off the top of my head, the only ineligible one is The Breadwinner (Irish), but I'll have to check Heist as well. I'm 95% sure the other 4 are fine.
Okay, I looked into them now.
Splice & Screamers are pretty unequivocally Canadian, so eligible.
The Little Girl who Lives Down the Lane is a Canadian-French-American co-production, and an argument could be made for it being any of the three, but I'm going to consider it Canadian and eligible for this poll.
The Breadwinner is decidedly Irish, so not eligible.
Heist appears to be American, though I had it initially as Canadian due to imdb, but looking deeper into it everywhere considers it an American movie filmed in Canada, so it's not eligible. I've submitted a correction to imdb to change the country order.
In the Company of Men I always accepted as Canadian due to imdb and never looked further into it, but doing so now I think it's actually American. I think I confused writer and director Neil LaBute (American) with Bruce La Bruce (Canadian). This film's cast and crew are majority American, filmed in America, and won awards in America. Variety says "Production: A Stephen Pevner/Atlantis Entertainment production, in association with Fair and Square Prods." imdb lists Fair and Square as a US company and Atlantis Entertainment as Canadian. It doesn't list Stephen Pevner, but wikipedia indicates he is American and was the primary producer on this film (and they went on to make more films together). So, given all that, I'm going to rule that this film is American, and thus not eligible for this poll. I've submitted a correction to imdb to change the country order and add Stephen Pevner's company to the credits.
Rufus-T wrote: November 27th, 2022, 6:46 am 7. In the Company of Men (1997)
17. Heist (2001)
So that means you have two free spots in you ballot should you wish to add two replacements.
gromit82 wrote: November 18th, 2022, 4:28 am 4. In the Company of Men (Neil LaBute, 1997)

Backup choices if needed:

21. Pear Cider and Cigarettes (Robert Valley, 2016)
22. Village of Idiots (Eugene Fedorenko & Rose Newlove, 1999)
Backups
It also means I'll remove this from your ballot gromit and move up Pear Cider.
Lonewolf2003 wrote: November 19th, 2022, 6:12 pm 2. In the Company of Men (1997): 8.5

Backups in case of ineligibility:
Les amours imaginaires (2010): 7.8
Juste la fin du monde (2016): 7.8
La bête lumineuse (1982): 7.8
Neighbours (1952): 7.8
Cosmos (1996): 7.8
And I'll remove this from your ballot Lonewolf and move up Les amours imaginaires (no worries about the URL, I'll add it to the spreadsheet).

Sorry for not catching this one earlier folks, just goes to show I shouldn't blindly trust imdb all the time. :lol:
Cinematic Omnivore 🧚‍♂️🦫
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

AB537 wrote: November 27th, 2022, 4:08 pm An eligibility ruling would also be helpful for Long Shot (Jonathan Levine, 2019).
American, not eligible.
Cinematic Omnivore 🧚‍♂️🦫
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

cayado-coro wrote: November 30th, 2022, 3:42 pm The Groundstar Conspiracy (Johnson)
Fire (Mehta)
Earth (Mehta)
Water (Mehta)
Groundstar is a US-Canada co-production, but primarily American so not eligible.

Deepa Mehta's Element trilogy is a bit harder to parse. I have Fire and Water as Canadian, and Earth as Indian (though all three are India-Canada co-productions to varying degrees). This is mirrored by imdb which has Canada-India listed for Fire and Water, but India-Canada for Earth. Awards-wise, Water is the most clearly Canadian, being their Oscar submission that year and garnering plenty of Genie noms. It was also filmed in Sri Lanka because of problems in India due to her previous films.

So Water is eligible.

For Earth, the primary production company seems to be Cracking the Earth Films (clearly a nod to the book the film is based on Cracking India), and Earth is the only film that company made, so it was likely film-specific. I can't find anywhere if that's a Canadian or an Indian company. Most of the rest of production appears to be Canadian, but the film won awards in India and Asia and was India's Oscar submission that year. So while a solid argument could be made that it's more Canadian, I'm going to lean towards it being more Indian in this case.

So Earth is not eligible.

Fire also had a film-specific production company, Trial by Fire Films, which is listed as Canadian by both imdb and Variety, so it seems clearer that this is more Canadian than Indian. The subject matter and the ensuing controversy is also likely why this was primarily a Canadian production, to ensure it could be made without Indian government interference (though it still had to pass the censor board to get approval to be shown there), and it didn't even premiere in India until 2 years after it's Canadian premiere at TIFF.

So Fire is eligible.

So you have 2 free spots on your ballot if you want to add replacement films.
Cinematic Omnivore 🧚‍♂️🦫
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

RogerTheMovieManiac88 wrote: December 1st, 2022, 11:12 am

Here is some info. I don't want you to feel pressured into adding them to IMDb though. I'm perfectly happy for the other 18 films to constitute what you enter as my submission.

Thank you.

Both have been successfully submitted:

Silos
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt23902816/
https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/silos/

Steam Ballet
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt23902858/
https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/steam+ballet/
Cinematic Omnivore 🧚‍♂️🦫
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

ororama wrote: December 1st, 2022, 11:01 pm 14. Diary of the Dead
This is an American film. I've submitted a correction to remove the Canada country tag, since there are no Canadian production companies list. So it's not eligible. Feel free to add a replacement film to your ballot.
Cinematic Omnivore 🧚‍♂️🦫
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Minkin wrote: November 4th, 2022, 3:37 am I thought I'd do the same here that I did for the 1986 /1924 polls:

Ask for recommendations for some accessible shorts (<30mins)!

I'm already pretty well versed with Norman McLaren + Guy Maddin + seen Paddle to the Sea, so any suggestions beyond those would be most welcome in paddling my list out to sea, please and thanks.

Shorts that I'll probably vote for:
Technology/Transformation: Wonder Woman
Hunger (1974)
gunnar wrote: November 3rd, 2022, 1:10 am 70% of my list will probably be made up of shorts. This should be right up Minkin's alley.
:D - You know this audience well!

Eligibility Question:
Strange Brew - is on the Canadian ICM list but you'll probably say MGM = US, but worth a chance :cowbow:
I don't see your ballot yet. You've got about 24 hours left to submit one if you intend to participate. :)
Cinematic Omnivore 🧚‍♂️🦫
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

All right, I believe I've got everyone now. Please let me know if I've made an error on your ballot.

41 Participants: Fully ranked lists of 20 titles unless otherwise indicated
Arkantos
gunnar
Leopardi
zzzorf
TraverseTown
Mario Gaborović
pitchorneirda (14 titles)
beavis
Teproc (10 titles)
Onderhond (5 titles)
Perception de Ambiguity (unranked)
filmbantha
OldAle1
joachimt
St. Gloede
Silga
blocho
Lakigigar (7 titles) (missing URLs)
matthewscott8 (1 ineligible)
Caracortada (1 ineligible)
peeptoad
Mysterious Dude
PopperTheKungFu-Dragon
Y U M E
Angel Glez (unranked)
gromit82
Lonewolf2003
Gordon_Gekko (4 ineligibles)
Panunzio
insomnius (unranked)
Rufus-T (2 ineligibles)
Melvelet
AB537 (16 titles)
sol
lineuphere
cayado-coro (unranked) (2 ineligibles)
tommy_leazaq
airdolll (12 titles)
Fergenaprido
RogerTheMovieManiac88
ororama (1 ineligible)

You can still submit new lists or edit existing ones, but please let me know if you do make an edit so that I don't miss it (I saw yours already gromit, all good).

Thanks folks :)
Cinematic Omnivore 🧚‍♂️🦫
AB537

Post by AB537 »

Fergenaprido wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 12:21 am
AB537 wrote: November 27th, 2022, 4:08 pm An eligibility ruling would also be helpful for Long Shot (Jonathan Levine, 2019).
American, not eligible.
Suspected as much but thought it was worth asking. Thanks for checking!
ICM Forum Challenge winner: 2020 Crime, 2021 UK/Ireland
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Fergenaprido wrote: December 1st, 2022, 8:58 am Pleasantly surprised to see how many other fans of C.R.A.Z.Y. there are.
You certainly deserve credit for popularizing it on this forum.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

blocho wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 2:47 am
Fergenaprido wrote: December 1st, 2022, 8:58 am Pleasantly surprised to see how many other fans of C.R.A.Z.Y. there are.
You certainly deserve credit for popularizing it on this forum.
I honestly didn't realize that I had. I nominated it for DTC way back in my first try, but that's about it. Regardless of how people discovered the film, it just makes me all warm and fuzzy inside to see a film that I adore and that feels so personal to me actually get some recognition on here, which is rare. (l)
Cinematic Omnivore 🧚‍♂️🦫
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Fergenaprido wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 3:05 am I nominated it for DTC way back in my first try, but that's about it.
You also had it as a bonus challenge for the LGBT challenge you hosted. That's why I watched it.
Minkin

Post by Minkin »

Apologies to Gunnar, Oldale, Gromit and Ferg - as I completely ran out of time to watch shorts this month. I did at least get to The Drag though. I'm sorry for missing out on more gems to beef up my list, but I'm super grateful for everyone who gave suggestions (help with me future polls as well)! I did just try to give Ryan a watch, but it was a little too intense for my present wellness, so I decided to put that on hold for now.

01. The Adventures of Bob & Doug McKenzie: Strange Brew (1983)
02. Begone Dull Care (1950)
03. The Heart of the World (2000)
04. The Final Sacrifice (1990)
05. Les invasions barbares (2003)
06. Last Night (1998)
07. My Winnipeg (2007)
08. Scanners (1981)
09. Neighbours (1952)
10. Pas de deux (1968)
11. Paddle to the Sea (1966)
12. Meatballs (1979)
13. The Drag (1966)
14. Technology/Transformation: Wonder Woman (1979)
15. Archangel (1990)
16. Nintendo Quest (2015)
17. Hunger (1974)
18. Why Shoot the Teacher? (1977)
19. Killer Party (1986)
20. Space Milkshake (2012)
Coo-Roo-Coo-Coo-Coo-Coo-Coo-Coo!
In case of emergency, break glass:

21. Social Acceptability (1957)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0334385/

22. Alien Thunder (1974)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069688/
Cinema Safari (Currently working on Inyo County, CA + Zimbabwe upgrade) Help recommend me movies to watch) Letterboxd
She has an illusion, and you have reality. May you find your way as pleasant.
RogerTheMovieManiac88

Fergenaprido wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 1:20 am
RogerTheMovieManiac88 wrote: December 1st, 2022, 11:12 am

Thank you.

Both have been successfully submitted:

Silos
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt23902816/
https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/silos/

Steam Ballet
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt23902858/
https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/steam+ballet/
Thank you for adding these, Ferg. I'll go add in the two links to my ballot.

:cheers:
That's all, folks!
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Minkin wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 8:47 am 16. Nintendo Quest (2015)

In case of emergency, break glass:

21. Social Acceptability (1957)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0334385/

22. Alien Thunder (1974)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069688/
IMDB lists Nintendo Quest as American first, and the only production company listed is "Pyre Productions USA", so I'm going to say this one is not eligible.
(Edit: I see the director is apparently based in London, Ontario, yet his website has "Copyright © 2020 Pyre Productions USA LLC & Pyre Productions Inc. - All Rights Reserved." on every page. I read elsewhere that the crew is also Canadian, and the film covers a road trip in Canada and the States, so perhaps it's Canadian after all. Changing my mind and saying that this one is eligible.)

Social Acceptability is listed as solely American, but the production company is Crawly Films (Canadian), and other sources list it as Canadian, so the imdb country tag is probably a mistake. Frank Crawley is a Canadian producer with plenty other credits, and even though he's not listed as a director, if his company produced the film then I'm going to say it's Canadian, so it is eligible.

I've submitted corrections for the above films to imdb.
Last edited by Fergenaprido on December 2nd, 2022, 10:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cinematic Omnivore 🧚‍♂️🦫
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

blocho wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 4:41 am
Fergenaprido wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 3:05 am I nominated it for DTC way back in my first try, but that's about it.
You also had it as a bonus challenge for the LGBT challenge you hosted. That's why I watched it.
Oh right. I forgot about that. :ph43r:
Cinematic Omnivore 🧚‍♂️🦫
Rufus-T

Post by Rufus-T »

Fergenaprido wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 12:12 am
Rufus-T wrote: November 27th, 2022, 6:46 am 7. In the Company of Men (1997)
17. Heist (2001)
So that means you have two free spots in you ballot should you wish to add two replacements.
I have replaced them with

The Whistleblower (2010)
The Monster (2016)

********************************************************************************

1. Atlantic City (1980)
2. The Barbarian Invasions (2003)
3. Away from Her (2006)
4. The Changeling (1980)
5. Incendies (2010)
6. The Sweet Hereafter (1997)
7. The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane (1976)
8. Jesus of Montreal (1989)
9. Cave of Forgotten Dreams (2010)
10. Screamers (1995)
11. Videodrome (1983)
12. Black Christmas (1974)
13. The Brood (1979)
14. Stories We Tell (2012)
15. Splice (2009)
16. Dead Ringers (1988)
17. Naked Lunch (1991)
18. Quest for Fire (1981)
19. The Whistleblower (2010)
20. The Monster (2016)

IMDb links
filmbantha

Post by filmbantha »

Fergenaprido wrote: December 1st, 2022, 11:04 pm
2. Possessor
3. Videodrome
4. Ginger Snaps
5. Enemy
6. Mommy
7. Polytechnique

Reminder you have about 24 hours to make any changes and add the imdb URLs for your list. Thanks :)
It looks like Laki hasn't logged in for a few days and it would be a shame if the votes of a fellow Come True fan aren't included. Here are the imdb links in case it is fine for me to provide them in place of laki:
Spoiler
Also, thanks for moving A Colony up a place on my list now that Gretel & Hansel has been deemed ineligible. Looking forward to the results.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

filmbantha wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 8:19 pm
2. Possessor
3. Videodrome
4. Ginger Snaps
5. Enemy
6. Mommy
7. Polytechnique

It looks like Laki hasn't logged in for a few days and it would be a shame if the votes of a fellow Come True fan aren't included. Here are the imdb links in case it is fine for me to provide them in place of laki:
Spoiler
Also, thanks for moving A Colony up a place on my list now that Gretel & Hansel has been deemed ineligible. Looking forward to the results.
I forgot about this, i'm sorry. I just edited it in quickly. I know there are actually a lot of things i have to do on a number of sites (i think there was something else i had to do here).

I want to thank you for providing them for me so that i could quickly copy and paste my ballot. Thank you a lot. I hope i was in time.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Rufus-T wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 6:00 pm I have replaced them with

The Whistleblower (2010)
The Monster (2016)

********************************************************************************

20. The Monster (2016)
The Monster is also American. :sweat:
I see it now says Canada only on imdb, but I've got it as American in my spreadsheet. I checked the credits and only two American companies are listed, the writer-director is American, and it looks like most of the cast and crew are as well. Variety lists "Production: (U.S.-Canada) An A24 release of an A24 and Atlas Independent presentation in association with Unbroken Pictures, Bun & Ham Prods. and Embankment Films of an Atlas Independent production." Atlas & Unbroken are American, Embankment is British, and Bun & Ham is either British or Canadian (there are two companies with that name on imdb, not sure which one is involved). So it's not eligible, sorry.
Cinematic Omnivore 🧚‍♂️🦫
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Lakigigar wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 8:55 pm
filmbantha wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 8:19 pm

Spoiler
I forgot about this, i'm sorry. I just edited it in quickly. I know there are actually a lot of things i have to do on a number of sites (i think there was something else i had to do here).

I want to thank you for providing them for me so that i could quickly copy and paste my ballot. Thank you a lot. I hope i was in time.
Thanks Laki (and bantha). Ballot is now updated in my spreadsheet. :thumbsup:
Cinematic Omnivore 🧚‍♂️🦫
Rufus-T

Post by Rufus-T »

Fergenaprido wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 10:28 pm
Rufus-T wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 6:00 pm I have replaced them with

The Whistleblower (2010)
The Monster (2016)

20. The Monster (2016)
The Monster is also American. :sweat:
I see it now says Canada only on imdb, but I've got it as American in my spreadsheet. I checked the credits and only two American companies are listed, the writer-director is American, and it looks like most of the cast and crew are as well. Variety lists "Production: (U.S.-Canada) An A24 release of an A24 and Atlas Independent presentation in association with Unbroken Pictures, Bun & Ham Prods. and Embankment Films of an Atlas Independent production." Atlas & Unbroken are American, Embankment is British, and Bun & Ham is either British or Canadian (there are two companies with that name on imdb, not sure which one is involved). So it's not eligible, sorry.
Replaced with Pieces of a Woman (2020)

1. Atlantic City (1980)
2. The Barbarian Invasions (2003)
3. Away from Her (2006)
4. The Changeling (1980)
5. Incendies (2010)
6. The Sweet Hereafter (1997)
7. The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane (1976)
8. Jesus of Montreal (1989)
9. Cave of Forgotten Dreams (2010)
10. Screamers (1995)
11. Videodrome (1983)
12. Black Christmas (1974)
13. The Brood (1979)
14. Stories We Tell (2012)
15. Splice (2009)
16. Dead Ringers (1988)
17. Naked Lunch (1991)
18. Quest for Fire (1981)
19. The Whistleblower (2010)
20. Pieces of a Woman (2020)

IMDb links
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Rufus-T wrote: December 3rd, 2022, 1:14 am
Replaced with Pieces of a Woman (2020)
Cinematic Omnivore 🧚‍♂️🦫
pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda »

I added "Like a Dream That Vanishes" to my ballot, which is now 15 titles long
"Art is like a fire, it is born from the very thing it burns" - Jean-Luc Godard
Caracortada

Post by Caracortada »

Fergenaprido wrote: December 1st, 2022, 11:22 pm
Caracortada wrote: November 8th, 2022, 10:44 pm [*]La veuve de Saint-Pierre (2000)
I'm calling this one French so not eligible for this poll. It did receive a Jutra nomination, but it received César ones as well. Primary production companies are French, as are almost all the cast and crew, and it was also considered French by the Golden Globes when it was nominated for the foreign language film award. Filmed in Canada (incidentally at Fortress of Louisbourg, which I finally visited this summer, so now I'm much more interested in seeing this film) as a stand-in for St. Pierre (which is the only part of the colony of New France that is still under French control) with minor Canadian production support, but ultimately French.

So, feel free to pick a replacement film for your ballot.
I have removed it and added Stories We Tell at #20.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

All right, poll is now closed. Last two updates above are done, and I'll move forward with Gordon's ballot and add those four films at the end of his ranked list.

Results will be up in an hour or two.
Cinematic Omnivore 🧚‍♂️🦫