Welcome to the ICM Forum.
Check out our Magazine

If you notice any issues please post in the Q&A thread. Email issue should be fixed. If you encounter this issue, contact PeacefulAnarchy
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 66 released Dec 30th: Is Hype Overhyped?)
Podcast: Talking Images (Special Episode released Jan 8th: The Experiments of Michael Snow)
iCinema Magazine: WE ARE LIVE! (We just need more content)
ICMForum Film Festival 2022 Nov 14 - Dec 12
World Cup - Season 5: Round 1 Schedule, Match 1B (Feb 5th), Match 1C (Feb 26th)
Polls: 1992 (Results), Directors (Results), Sweden (Jan 31st), China (Feb 7th)
Challenges: 1000<400, Sci-Fi/Fantasy, Central Europe
About: Welcome All New Members, Terms of Use, Q&A

Rest in Peace

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Christine McVie, 79, British singer and keyboardist, member of Fleetwood Mac. Born in Lancashire, the daughter of a musician father and psychic/faith healer mother, she joined Fleetwood Mac in 1970 after marrying husband John McVie, the band's bass guitarist, and stayed with the band through 1998, and rejoining in 2014. She typically shared songwriting and vocal duties with bandmates Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks - "Over My Head", "Say You Love Me" and "Don't Stop" were among her best-known songs and biggest hits. Another hit, and personal favorite:

Another big part of my youth gone. Well, that's the way of things.
It was the truth, vivid and monstrous, that all the while he had waited the wait was itself his portion..
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

gotta do something about this computer
It was the truth, vivid and monstrous, that all the while he had waited the wait was itself his portion..
Rufus-T

Post by Rufus-T »

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

They were a classic example - maybe THE classic example in rock and roll - of emotional turmoil and instability being a great catalyst for art.
Rufus-T

Post by Rufus-T »

OldAle1 wrote: November 30th, 2022, 8:58 pm They were a classic example - maybe THE classic example in rock and roll - of emotional turmoil and instability being a great catalyst for art.
She was an excellent singer. Kind of overshadowed by Stevie & Lindsey.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Rufus-T wrote: November 30th, 2022, 9:04 pm
OldAle1 wrote: November 30th, 2022, 8:58 pm They were a classic example - maybe THE classic example in rock and roll - of emotional turmoil and instability being a great catalyst for art.
She was an excellent singer. Kind of overshadowed by Stevie & Lindsey.
I think she's a better singer than Stevie - more melodic, just "prettier", though I guess Stevie's voice is quite distinctive. I probably like Lindsey the most as a singer, but the fact that the band had three people who could sing lead, and were all pretty different from each other, was certainly one of it's great strengths. My brother and his then-wife saw them some years ago in Montreal, kind of wish I'd been able to go with them.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Brad William Henke, 56

American football player and actor, probably best known for appearing in 26 episodes of Orange Is the New Black.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Julia Reichert, 76

American producer and director, best known for her documentaries about political and labor issues. She was one of the most prominent labor-focused filmmakers of the past half century.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Al Strobel, 83

American actor, best known for his role as Mike, the one-armed man (or rather, one-armed spirit), in Twin Peaks and Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me.

pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda »

Aline Kominsky-Crumb, Robert Crumb's wife
"Art is like a fire, it is born from the very thing it burns" - Jean-Luc Godard
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Nick Bolletieri, 91

American tennis coach. Those who don't follow tennis won't know Bolletieri. For those who do, he's a major figure in the game. Bolletieri was the most prominent youth tennis coach of the past half century. Among those whose development he oversaw were Maria Sharapova, Andre Agassi, Jim Courier, Monica Seles, and many other highly accomplished players. Bolletieri was also an innovator in elite youth sports development through his private academy, which helped to pioneer the concept in the United States of a live-in sports academy.

Despite his extensive accomplishments, Bolletieri was not an entirely benign figure. He was legendary for the intensity of his commitment to tennis and the pressure he put on his players. Agassi, if I remember correctly, was one who suffered emotionally from the intensity of Bolletieri's coaching. So dedicated was Bolletieri that, when his wife told him to spend more time with his family, a me-or-Agassi ultimatum, Bolletieri said he chose Agassi and promptly got a divorce.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Kirstie Allie, 71, actress, known for Cheers and Look Who's Talking and its sequels, among others (Star Trek: Wrath of Khan, for example).
https://www.npr.org/2022/12/05/11408817 ... y-death-71

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster »

Not in English news yet, but Yoshishige Yoshida has passed away at 89 years old.

https://mainichi.jp/articles/20221208/k ... 40/362000c
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Very sad to hear this. Undoubtedly one of my favourite directors of all time and one of the most unique visual styles the medium has seen (highlighted by the 1966-73 stretch)

I was always hoping there was a chance he might do one more film, though of course it became less and less likely for every year that past.
Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

I still have many Yoshida films left to see, and he's definitely someone I've been keen to explore further. "Joen" is probably next.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Mills Lane, 85

Does anyone else remember Mills Lane, American lawyer, TV personality, and boxing referee? It was the latter role which first brought him public attention. He was feisty enough in the ring and refereed enough big fights (including Holyfield vs. Tyson II, which featured the infamous ear-biting incident) that he briefly became famous beyond boxing and even parlayed that fame into a few seasons as a TV judge on a court show. It helped that Lane was an actual judge as well in Nevada.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

blocho wrote: December 8th, 2022, 9:25 pm ... a few seasons as a TV judge on a court show. It helped that Lane was an actual judge as well in Nevada.
Wait, don't TV judges have to be actual judges? Like Judge Judy? Or are they just lawyers who get a show? I've never understood how that worked, but I always assumed that they at least had to have the credentials, especially since they have that "you cannot appeal" clause for all decisions.
Cinematic Omnivore 🧚‍♂️🦫
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome »

blocho wrote: December 8th, 2022, 9:25 pm Mills Lane, 85

Does anyone else remember Mills Lane, American lawyer, TV personality, and boxing referee? It was the latter role which first brought him public attention. He was feisty enough in the ring and refereed enough big fights (including Holyfield vs. Tyson II, which featured the infamous ear-biting incident) that he briefly became famous beyond boxing and even parlayed that fame into a few seasons as a TV judge on a court show. It helped that Lane was an actual judge as well in Nevada.
I also remember Mills Lane as the voice of the referee in the claymation MTV series “Celebrity Deathmatch” from the late ‘90s.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Joe Kittinger, 94

American air force officer. Long before David Bowie claimed the title, Kittinger was the man who fell to earth. He was also a fighter pilot, but he's most remembered for his participation in Project Excelsior. This was in 1959, during those postwar years when massive military R&D investment took aviation very quickly from the era of propeller aircraft to advanced jets which set speed and altitude records that still exist today. Project Excelsior was intended for research into high-altitude bailouts. If pilots were going to fly very high, the air force needed to do research to figure out how they could survive if they had to exit their airplanes very high.

Kittinger was the guinea pig. Carried aloft by helium balloons, Kittinger made three free-fall descents, the final from 102,800 feet. These were risky endeavors. During one descent, Kittinger went into a spin that rendered him unconscious. For the final free fall, the pressurization in his glove failed, and his hand quickly swelled to an unrecognizable size. But he survived. He survived and lived long enough that 52 years later, he served as capsule commander for the man who eventually broke his free fall record.

Here's Kittinger, stepping into the void.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux »

blocho wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 8:07 pm Julia Reichert, 76

American producer and director, best known for her documentaries about political and labor issues. She was one of the most prominent labor-focused filmmakers of the past half century.
Well damn. I've seen a couple of hers (though one I wouldn't count), but American Factory was certainly super interesting. And qualifies for a particular challenge this month...
Good_Will_Harding

Post by Good_Will_Harding »

Angelo Badalamenti, frequent collaborator of David Lynch and one of the most beloved composers in film and TV history, has died at 85. Rest in peace. :rip:

My favorite score of his also comes from my favorite Lynch film...

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

It's staggering how many of the people who worked on the third season of Twin Peaks have died since it wrapped.

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface »

Damn that's upsetting. He was such a key part of Lynch's work.
Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity »

See you on the other side, Angelo.

We do not have to understand new things, but by dint of patience, effort and method to come to understand with our whole self the truths which are evident.Image
LETTERBOXD | MUBI | IMDb | tumblr.
nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen »

Manuel Göttsching gone too
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

nimimerkillinen wrote: December 13th, 2022, 4:05 pm Manuel Göttsching gone too
You are right, my fellow metal man.

RIP
Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović »

Siniša Mihajlović (1969-2022) died in Rome after long battle with leukemia. Best known for his free kick skills, Mihajlović was a record holder of Italian Serie A with a total of 28 goals scored after free kicks.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Here's the TCM remembers clip, just posted in the last day

Let's hope it doesn't require any major updating in the next 12 days.
maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux »

I was aware of many of those, but it's always a slap in the face when you see all those people right next to each other in a clip like that.
peeptoad

Post by peeptoad »

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan »

Mike Hodges :rip:

Director of Get Carter (1971), Pulp (1972), The Terminal Man (1974), Black Rainbow (1989), Flash Gordon (1980), Croupier (1998), and I'll Sleep When I'm Dead (2003).
Owner of seven platinum awards
jeroeno

Post by jeroeno »

Damnit.

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan »

Ruggero Deodato died.

Director of Cannibal Holocaust, et al.

https://www.the-sun.com/entertainment/7 ... holocaust/
Owner of seven platinum awards
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Pele, 82

My father lived in The Hague from 1968 to 1972, and he always claimed that Johan Cruyff was the best football player he ever saw. But if you pressed him, after a while, he would admit that it was actually Pele.

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

Designer Vivienne Westwood too.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Eduard Artemyev, 85

Russian composer, best known for scoring three Tarkovsky movies: Solaris, Mirror, and Stalker. Over a 60-year career, he worked on hundreds of movies and miniseries, including Siberiade and Burnt by the Sun.
Good_Will_Harding

Post by Good_Will_Harding »

Dang, RIP. Very talented in his chosen field. Should definitely seek out more of his works, apart from the Tarkovsky films, which I'm already familiar with.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

I watched a very entertaining Deodato crime flick last night to commemorate him. Live Like a Cop, Die Like a Man. Rollicking bit of nasty fun that was.
🏳️‍⚧️ (she/her)
JLG wrote: Photography is truth ... and cinema is truth 24 times a second.
First to check CODA (2021)
hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu »

Eduard Artemyev, 85
Russian composer that worked with Tarkovsky on his most famous films (Solaris, The Mirror, Stalker) but also with Mikhalkov and Konchalovskiy.

ImageImageImageImageImage
Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

Add Barbara Walters and Neal "River's Edge" Jiminez.