Welcome to the ICM Forum.
Check out our Magazine

If you notice any issues please post in the Q&A thread. Email issue should be fixed. If you encounter this issue, contact PeacefulAnarchy
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 66 released Dec 30th: Is Hype Overhyped?)
Podcast: Talking Images (Special Episode released Jan 8th: The Experiments of Michael Snow)
iCinema Magazine: WE ARE LIVE! (We just need more content)
ICMForum Film Festival 2022 Nov 14 - Dec 12
World Cup - Season 5: Round 1 Schedule, Match 1B (Feb 5th), Match 1C (Feb 26th)
Polls: 1992 (Results), Directors (Results), Sweden (Results), China (Feb 7th), 1931 (Feb 25th)
Challenges: Academy Awards, France, New Releases
About: Welcome All New Members, Terms of Use, Q&A

Rest in Peace

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Douglas McGrath, 64

American writer, actor, and director. He had an extensive stage career, but he's probably best known for his cinematic work, which included co-writing Bullets over Broadway and writing/directing Emma, Nicholas Nickleby, and Infamous.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Aaron Carter, 34

American musician, primarily known as a teen pop star. I don't know anything about his music, though I remember he was kind of popular about 20 years ago. I also remember going to a Knicks game around then, and he was the halftime act and got booed, not because he was bad, but just because a teen pop star is not the right musical act for a Knicks home game.
72aicm
Donator

Post by 72aicm »

Crazy little party Boy. Rest in peace. If half of the accusations he made towards his brother and family was true, then it explains his drug problem. He did became an extremely unlikeable character near the end though.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Oof
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome »

I’m about the same age as Aaron Carter and I remember his brief pop stardom around 2000, in the shadow of his Backstreet Boy older brother, and how a lot of girls my age loved that little kid at the time. Damn, only 34.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

I can't pretend Aaron Carter's death had any impact on me, but this saddened me....

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/ ... r-has-died
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Ebbywebby wrote: November 6th, 2022, 5:15 pm I can't pretend Aaron Carter's death had any impact on me, but this saddened me....

Yep :rip:
shugs
Donator

Post by shugs »

Ebbywebby wrote: November 6th, 2022, 5:15 pm I can't pretend Aaron Carter's death had any impact on me, but this saddened me....

Noo. :( :(
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster »

The last 2 albums were experimental/industrial pop perfected, and easily some of my favourite works. Devastated now.
Last edited by Pretentious Hipster on November 7th, 2022, 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

(as posted above)
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Lee Bontecou, 91

American sculptor. Her work was usually abstract and mounted on walls, thus seeming to traverse the traditional boundary between painting and sculpture. Or to put it another way, to make the three-dimensionality of painting unavoidable.

jdidaco

Post by jdidaco »

Gal Costa (1945-2022), Brazilian singer.

I saw her only once on stage, it was like dying and resuscitating on the same vibe of her unbelievably beautiful voice, and extraordinary physical expressiveness. A diva, an icon, absolutely. Among her many classical renditions (she sang everyone, from Tom Jobim to Caetano Veloso), one of my favorites is "Vapor Barato", the original arrangement from 1971, where she was at the height of her vocal prowess, a song used memorably in Walter Salles’ 'Terra Estrangeira',

[media] [/media]
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

You know how couples sometimes have a song they consider "our song." For my parents, it was a Gal Costa song.

jdidaco

Post by jdidaco »

blocho wrote: November 9th, 2022, 7:55 pm You know how couples sometimes have a song they consider "our song." For my parents, it was a Gal Costa song.

Beautiful, blocho, beautiful, it just added more loving tears to an already tearful day. That song, "Trem das Onze", is a very Paulista song, it's pure São Paulo, in lyrics and music, and Gal Costa, as you know, is from up north, Salvador, Bahia; this is how amazing she could be, capturing the cultural essence, meaning and style of a particular song, and putting her unmistakable signature into it. A remarkable performer, and like her friend Maria Bethânia, a transfixing presence on stage.
Good_Will_Harding

Post by Good_Will_Harding »

Kevin Conroy, best known for voicing Batman in Batman: The Animated Series and the animated film Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, has passed away at only the age of 66.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... 235260222/

This now makes the episode of the animated series where Adam West guest stars all the more poignant.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Gallagher, American comedian, 76. Not really a standup comedy guy myself, and Gallagher's fame rests almost entirely in this medium so...that's all I've got to say.
It was the truth, vivid and monstrous, that all the while he had waited the wait was itself his portion..
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

OldAle1 wrote: November 11th, 2022, 9:07 pm Gallagher, American comedian, 76. Not really a standup comedy guy myself, and Gallagher's fame rests almost entirely in this medium so...that's all I've got to say.
Gallagher's influence on Billy Corgan cannot be overstated.
🏳️‍⚧️ (she/her)
JLG wrote: Photography is truth ... and cinema is truth 24 times a second.
First to check CODA (2021)
maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux »

OldAle1 wrote: November 11th, 2022, 9:07 pm Gallagher, American comedian, 76. Not really a standup comedy guy myself, and Gallagher's fame rests almost entirely in this medium so...that's all I've got to say.
I saw that earlier - a lot of his comedy hasn't aged too well, but the watermelon smashing was always fun.
Apu

Post by Apu »

Sven-Bertil Taube (1934-2022)

Swedish singer and infrequent actor; internationally most known for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Eagle Has Landed and as the main character in Puppet on a Chain. His career as an actor spanned some 67 years (1949-2016).
Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

I'm much more interested in Levene than Turner, and yet I've seen Turner perform and don't think I ever saw Levene. I've only seen PIL once (1992).
Good_Will_Harding

Post by Good_Will_Harding »

Kazuki Omori, a pivotal figure in the Heisei era of Godzilla films, director of back-to-back 'zilla films with 1989’s Godzilla vs Biollante and 1991’s Godzilla vs King Ghidorah, and screenwriter of Godzilla vs Mothra and Godzilla vs Destroyah, as well as just being all around one of the most unique creators to work on the franchise – has passed away. He was 70 years old.

Here's some neat behind the scenes footage from the '89 film.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Robert Clary, French-American Holocaust survivor and actor, 96. Born in Paris in 1926, he began singing professionally at 12. In 1942, the Jewish Clary was deported to the concentration camp in Ottmuth, now in Poland, and later moved to Buchenwald; nearly all of his large extended family perished in camps. After the war he moved to the USA, making a living primarily as a singer until the 1950s when his acting career took off on TV and stage. His most famous role would end up being that of Cpl Louis LeBeau, a POW in the fiction Stalag 13 in the sitcom Hogan's Heroes, which ran from 1965-71; he was the last surviving regular cast member.
It was the truth, vivid and monstrous, that all the while he had waited the wait was itself his portion..
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

Mehran Karimi Nasseri, 76 or 77

This Iranian refugee inspired the movie The Terminal, with Tom Hanks and Catherine Zeta-Jones.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-63612017
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
More memorable quotes
OldAle1 wrote:I think four Aamir Khan films is enough for me. Unless I'm down to one film left on the IMDb Top 250 at some point and he's in that last film, at which point I'll watch it and then shoot myself having become the official-check-whoring person I hate.
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
Torgo wrote:Lammetje is some kind of hybrid Anna-Kendrick-lamb-entity to me and I find that very cool.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Jean-Marie Straub, French filmmaker, 89. Mostly in concert with his life and working partner Danièle Huillet (1936-2006), Straub created a body of difficult, experimental, essayistic films that reflect on thousands of years of European culture and culture, typically adapting a variety of texts including opera and theater pieces, with a rigorous aesthetic that always made them stand out in the art-film world from even many of their more challenging contemporaries like Godard or Antonioni, and consequently helped to limit their audience significantly. Their best known works include Nicht versöhnt / Not Reconciled (1965), Chronik der Anna Magdalena Bach (1968), Moses und Aron (1975) and Sicilia! (1999).

https://www.lemonde.fr/disparitions/art ... -%5Bios%5D
pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda »

Sad news :(
I haven't seen much by him/them yet, I always regarded their filmography as something I'll enjoy more when I'll be an old hand at cinema. Someone interested in Georges Bernanos (cf. La France contre les robots) or Antigone (Die Antigone des Sophokles...) can't be uninteresting though.

RIP.
"Art is like a fire, it is born from the very thing it burns" - Jean-Luc Godard
Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

Straub/Huillet are like film-buff Kryptonite for me. I can't think of another historically renowned director(s) who drives me so bananas. I can't recall any of their films except "Anna Magdalena Bach" that weren't torture for me to get through. It's almost like they're daring you to keep watching.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

On the other end of the cinematic spectrum, the green ranger has died.

https://www.tmz.com/2022/11/20/power-ra ... een-white/
prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson »

OldAle1 wrote: November 20th, 2022, 1:13 pm Jean-Marie Straub, French filmmaker, 89. Mostly in concert with his life and working partner Danièle Huillet (1936-2006), Straub created a body of difficult, experimental, essayistic films that reflect on thousands of years of European culture and culture, typically adapting a variety of texts including opera and theater pieces, with a rigorous aesthetic that always made them stand out in the art-film world from even many of their more challenging contemporaries like Godard or Antonioni, and consequently helped to limit their audience significantly. Their best known works include Nicht versöhnt / Not Reconciled (1965), Chronik der Anna Magdalena Bach (1968), Moses und Aron (1975) and Sicilia! (1999).
RIP; top five for me along with wifey, and reignited my interest in film and art in general at a time when it had petered out. What a legendary run.

Also the Godard comparison I can see, but was Antonioni challenging? Or at all in the same ways?
brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface »

Wilko Johnson, guitarist in various rock bands from 60s onwards. Film/tv links - was in Game of Thrones, and I also heartily recommend this Julien Temple documentary about him:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4188192/
It's about him but more about cancer and mortality. He had pancreatic cancer but got a rather miraculous surgery which ultimately kept him alive almost another 10 years.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Irene Cara, American singer and actress, 63. Born in the Bronx, of Puerto Rican and Cuban heritage, Cara got her start singing on Spanish-language TV as a child. She was a regular on TV's The Electric Company as a teenager, and had a busy career acting on the New York stage and on TV and singing throughout the 1970s, but her peak popularity and fame came in the early 1980s, when she appeared in 1980's Fame, singing the title song and performing it at the Oscars, where it won for Best Original Song; three years later she won an Oscar herself for "Flashdance...What a Feeling", the title song from the hit film, which also won her a Grammy and Golden Globe, among other awards. She apparently continued working up until her death, at her home in Florida.
matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 »

Ebbywebby wrote: November 20th, 2022, 6:22 pm Straub/Huillet are like film-buff Kryptonite for me. I can't think of another historically renowned director(s) who drives me so bananas. I can't recall any of their films except "Anna Magdalena Bach" that weren't torture for me to get through. It's almost like they're daring you to keep watching.
Hehe Anna Magdalena Bach is the only one I've seen that I couldn't stomach, and I'm both a Bach and a Straub-Huillet fan.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Albert Pyun, American director, 69. The Hawaii-born Pyun had been suffering from both MS and dementia for several years, and recently his wife sent out a message asking for support and positive thoughts - if I were on Facebook, I'd have responded. I can't say that Pyun's low-rent schlock impacted my life enormously, but at his best he did bring more energy and fun to his work than many filmmakers on the b-side of the industry over the past few decades. He started his career with The Sword and the Sorcerer, which came out in 1982 - the same year as the significantly higher profile Conan the Barbarian; between them they helped usher in the barbarian-fantasy trend of the 1980s, and TS&TS actually made just about as much money as Conan, but it didn't really lead to fame and fortune for Pyun, who despite a couple of near misses (he was signed on to an early version of Total Recall for example) never became an A-list director, and stuck with cheap sci-fi, fantasy, and action for the most part over 40+ films in a career that will be remembered by lovers of junk for a long time. Early films Radioactive Dreams and Cyborg are probably his next-best-known works; his last-released feature was 2017's Interstellar Civil War.
Minkin

Post by Minkin »

Alien from LA is a shlock masterpiece with Kathy Ireland and her absurd voice. The film is hilarious on its own, but the MST3K adds another level of entertainment.

I've been meaning to watch his Captain America - which I'm sure is fantastic in its own special way.

So, so long to another artist who brought so much unintentional joy to many. :rip:
Cinema Safari (Currently working on Inyo County, CA + Zimbabwe upgrade) Help recommend me movies to watch) Letterboxd
She has an illusion, and you have reality. May you find your way as pleasant.
Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity »

prodigalgodson wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 5:42 pm Also the Godard comparison I can see, but was Antonioni challenging? Or at all in the same ways?
I think I see what you mean in terms of them not being challenging in the same ways. I reckon Antonioni was an intellectual and well-read, but he didn't let literary influences seep into his films in direct ways like Straub/Huillet/Godard who weren't at all afraid to translate high literature into cinema, in the case of Straub/Huillet in quite straight-forward ways whereas Godard was super quote-happy. Maybe "challenging" in this context depends on how literature-minded you are or how much you value the art of literature in comparison to the art of cinema. In terms of pure cinema Antonioni certainly posed a challenge, personally speaking. I didn't get him at first, but after grasping some of the basic concepts and probably after achieving a certain maturity I could connect with his films. It didn't make his films difficult per se, but there definitely was a hurdle to get over. Straub/Huillet, in comparison, often more or less demanded that you yourself were somewhat intellectual or at the very least a literary person to appreciate their films. They chose cinema as their medium of expression, but at heart they were literary people first, at least this is my impression of them. And Godard (at least later Godard) at the very least required one to be an intellectual dabbler. On a "requiring certain prerequisites " scale (although not necessarily on a "pro-active watcher" scale), I'd definitely say that Straub/Huillet chart the highest among those on average, so if that is your definition of what constitutes challenging cinema, yeah.
We do not have to understand new things, but by dint of patience, effort and method to come to understand with our whole self the truths which are evident.Image
LETTERBOXD | MUBI | IMDb | tumblr.
matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 »

Tbh I grew up on Pyun films and I don't feel the need to apologize for them. There's much fine craft to be found in them. Rock on in heaven you legend.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Clarence Gilyard, 66

American actor with a long career in television. He appeared in 20 episodes of CHiPs, 85 episodes of Matlock, and 196 episodes of Walker, Texas Ranger. But I'll remember him primarily for his role as the computer guy in Die Hard.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux »

I will watch Die Hard this Christmas extra hard in his honor.
Rufus-T

Post by Rufus-T »

He had one of the best lines in the movie