Welcome to the ICM Forum.
Check out our Magazine

If you notice any issues please post in the Q&A thread. Email issue should be fixed. If you encounter this issue, contact PeacefulAnarchy
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 64 released December 2nd: How Everything Everywhere All at Once Was Suddenly Eveything Everywhere All at Once)
iCinema Magazine: WE ARE LIVE! (We just need more content)
ICMForum Film Festival 2022 Nov 14 - Dec 12
World Cup - Season 5: Round 1 Schedule
Polls: 2000s (Results), 1924 (Results), Canada (Nov 30th), Horror (Nov 30th), 1941 (Dec 26th)
Challenges: Cult/Grindhouse, Documentary, Turkey and Caucasus
About: Welcome All New Members, Terms of Use, Q&A

The Film Lounge

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Onderhond wrote: November 11th, 2022, 10:39 pm
kongs_speech wrote: November 11th, 2022, 10:35 pm Having to wait a bit to watch a movie in the comfort of your own home is hardly a life or death matter.
Neither is being able to see a film in a movie theater.

I mean, this whole thing screamed first-world problems from the very start. That's hardly an argument.
I would assure you, it's not a first-world problem to the employees whose lives depend on those theaters thriving and continuing to be able to employ them. Streaming, on the other hand, is doing simply fine and dandy. It's the cinemas that struggle, especially post-pandemic.

There's also the fact that going to the cinema is a time-honored, historical pastime in the way that scrolling through Netflix in your apartment isn't. The idea of going to the movies means something. It is a massive cultural phenomenon that defined the way filmed art was experienced in the 20th century. We cannot simply throw that away now that these little streaming boxes exist, just as a digital file is a sorry substitute for a vinyl record or -- better yet -- actually seeing the artist perform live.
🏳️‍⚧️ (she/her)
JLG wrote: Photography is truth ... and cinema is truth 24 times a second.
First to check CODA (2021)
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

kongs_speech wrote: November 11th, 2022, 10:45 pm I would assure you, it's not a first-world problem to the employees whose lives depend on those theaters thriving and continuing to be able to employ them.
Yes, times change, while industries come and go as certain services become irrelevant.
kongs_speech wrote: November 11th, 2022, 10:45 pm There's also the fact that going to the cinema is a time-honored, historical pastime in the way that scrolling through Netflix in your apartment isn't. The idea of going to the movies means something. It is a massive cultural phenomenon that defined the way filmed art was experienced in the 20th century. We cannot simply throw that away now that these little streaming boxes exist, just as a digital file is a sorry substitute for a vinyl record or -- better yet -- actually seeing the artist perform live.
It's a fair position to hold, even though I don't agree. What bothers me is that some people expect others to pay and/or take the hit for their little fancies. We can throw all of that away easily enough, and it's up to the few who care to honor their traditions if they want to do so. If that means the cinema will become more like the opera, I'm fine with that. Such is life.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Onderhond wrote: November 11th, 2022, 10:57 pm
kongs_speech wrote: November 11th, 2022, 10:45 pm I would assure you, it's not a first-world problem to the employees whose lives depend on those theaters thriving and continuing to be able to employ them.
Yes, times change, while industries come and go as certain services become irrelevant.
kongs_speech wrote: November 11th, 2022, 10:45 pm There's also the fact that going to the cinema is a time-honored, historical pastime in the way that scrolling through Netflix in your apartment isn't. The idea of going to the movies means something. It is a massive cultural phenomenon that defined the way filmed art was experienced in the 20th century. We cannot simply throw that away now that these little streaming boxes exist, just as a digital file is a sorry substitute for a vinyl record or -- better yet -- actually seeing the artist perform live.
It's a fair position to hold, even though I don't agree. What bothers me is that some people expect others to pay and/or take the hit for their little fancies. We can throw all of that away easily enough, and it's up to the few who care to honor their traditions if they want to do so. If that means the cinema will become more like the opera, I'm fine with that. Such is life.
"The few who care to honor their traditions?" Bro, did you not see how much money Black Panther 2 is making this weekend? There's also a little thing called Avatar: The Way of Water next month. Pretending that only a "few" people care about going to the cinema is a beyond preposterous take.

You've been nothing but condescending and laughable this entire time. I'm going to stop bothering with this crap and go check a movie.
🏳️‍⚧️ (she/her)
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

kongs_speech wrote: November 11th, 2022, 11:03 pm "The few who care to honor their traditions?" Bro, did you not see how much money Black Panther 2 is making this weekend? There's also a little thing called Avatar: The Way of Water next month. Pretending that only a "few" people care about going to the cinema is a beyond preposterous take.
It's not my take. But apparently some think not enough people care for cinemas to thrive on their own, otherwise the theatrical window wouldn't be needed now, would it?
outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

Good_Will_Harding wrote: November 11th, 2022, 7:52 pm
Spoiler
So today turned out to be a pretty HUGE day for film score/soundtrack releases. All of the following have dropped within the last 24 hours...

Ludwig Göransson's followup to his Oscar winning Black Panther score.

Then there's Alexandre Desplat's second collaboration with Guillermo del Toro, the stop-motion animated musical adaptation of Pinocchio.

Two tracks from Justin Hurwitz's fifth collaboration with Damien Chazelle, Babylon, have also dropped.

And last, but certainly not least, is the whopping twenty-ninth collaboration between John Williams and Steven Spielberg, the extremely minimal yet nonetheless lovely score for The Fabelmans.

Thanks for sharing these! I'm seeing Wakanda Forever tomorrow so I'm avoiding anything related to it until then, but the others sound great. I almost prefer listening to a music track to watching a trailer as a way to tease me for upcoming films. The buzz around Del Toro's Pinocchio is intriguing. I'm not really sure what direction it's going to take, but it might earn another intentionally blind watch for me.

In semi-related content I suspect you'll be interested in, these guys are pretty sure what 8/10 of the Oscar best picture nominees will be, and their arguments are pretty convincing:

And honesty, they are such good content creators and their enthusiasm is so infectious that they actually made me interested in who might be nominated for Oscars this year. (well, a little)

A lie ain't a 'side of the story.' It's just a lie.
Good_Will_Harding

Post by Good_Will_Harding »

Ahh, I've seen some stuff from them before. I try to just go with my gut in terms of guessing what will and won't be nominated, but the people who delve even deeper into trends and whatnot than I do are probably more reliable. :sweat:
cinewest

Post by cinewest »

95% of my most memorable film screenings have been at a movie theater, and I hold this mostly to be true because almost everything about a movie theater (aside from those with extensive loud advertising beforehand and/or obnoxious audience members) enhances the experience, unless it's a crappy theater.

The fact that I don't go much to movie theaters that fall into these negative categories also decreases the chances for having a less than optimum experience, which can't be had at home, even with a big screen TV and surround sound, unless a proper screening room has been configured for that purpose.
Good_Will_Harding

Here's the next installment in the week's film score Friday! :whistling: This probably won't become a regular thing, but as we get further into awards season, more potentially interesting music is going to keep dropping.

First up is the score for Noah Baumbach's sci-fi comedy White Noise, which features music by Danny Elfman, with what is easily the most interesting music he's written in at least a decade. Plenty of echoes of his score for Mars Attacks! are found here.

Then there's Nathan Johnson's score for his cousin Rian's follow-up to Knives Out, the curiously titled Glass Onion. The scope of the music here likely reflects the larger scale of this second film, as compared to the setting of the original.

Lastly, some more samples from Alexandre Desplat's soundtrack for the stop motion animated Pinocchio have been released, this time we get a song from the film and not just the score. I won't listen to every song that gets released beforehand, since I want most of them to be experienced fresh when I first see the film, but this one here is really quite lovely and hopefully reflects the strength of the work as a whole.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Two friends who almost never watch movies both texted me today about movies they had watched.

Friend 1 had just seen Everything Everywhere All at Once and recommended it.

Friend 2 had just seen The Power of the Dog and wanted to know whether it qualified as a Spaghetti Western.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Good_Will_Harding wrote: November 19th, 2022, 12:45 am Then there's Nathan Johnson's score for his cousin Rian's follow-up to Knives Out, the curiously titled Glass Onion. The scope of the music here likely reflects the larger scale of this second film, as compared to the setting of the original.
I thought the music for Glass Onion would be this:

dirty_score

Post by dirty_score »

Good_Will_Harding wrote: November 19th, 2022, 12:45 am Here's the next installment in the week's film score Friday! :whistling: This probably won't become a regular thing
maybe it should :thumbsup:
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

blocho wrote: November 19th, 2022, 5:49 am Friend 2 had just seen The Power of the Dog and wanted to know whether it qualified as a Spaghetti Western.
Oh ... well, I personally am always glad when people show some interest at all, so there's that. :D
beavis

Post by beavis »

https://www.patreon.com/posts/top-ten-list-for-74606123

A first end of year top10. I've seen 5 and applaud the inclusion of Wittmann's film

Btw s&s poll of greatest movies should be online December 1st!
pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda »

Appealing, but unfortunately half of these movies haven't been released yet in France, that looks more like my 2023 top 10 than the 2022 one ;)
"Art is like a fire, it is born from the very thing it burns" - Jean-Luc Godard
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Would be the same for me, I didn't know of the existence of some of these. :D
But I guess the author had another mindset for cinema than what I'll expect from the top lists by IndieWire or so.
hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu »

beavis wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 4:51 pm https://www.patreon.com/posts/top-ten-list-for-74606123

A first end of year top10. I've seen 5 and applaud the inclusion of Wittmann's film

Btw s&s poll of greatest movies should be online December 1st!
What is your top 10 beavis ? you have probably been to more festivals than the guy
ImageImageImageImageImage
beavis

Post by beavis »

I haven't made up my final list yet, still a bit early :)
the last "new" top 10 I made this year is found here
https://letterboxd.com/beavis/list/fav-new-films-2022/

of films I've seen since then the only certain entry would be Human Flowers of Flesh, that Wittmann film

From Cronk's top10 I've seen Crimes of the Future, Human Flowers of Flesh, De Humani Corporis Fabrica, The Novelist’s Film and Pacifiction. Looking out with very high expectations towards: Showing Up and EO. And overall I think this is my kind of top10!
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

I've only seen Crimes of the Future from that list. The Fabelmans this week, hopefully.
🏳️‍⚧️ (she/her)
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Reviews for Knives Out 2 are really nice. Looking forward to what should prove to be simple, old-fashioned entertainment. Little expectations beforehand, not much to lose.
It got released in theaters today and will move to Netflix 30 days later.
Good_Will_Harding

Its theatrical rollout is only for one week exactly, at least in the US. I'll definitely try to see it, but with the holiday, it's probably not going to happen right away. As a side note, it's honestly more than a little concerning that the follow-up to an original, high-concept movie aimed at an adult (or at least not exclusively preteens and children) audience built on a solid story and a stacked ensemble cast that had long-term box-office success and was generally well received still can't get a reasonable theatrical release. <_<
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Good_Will_Harding wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 2:01 am Its theatrical rollout is only for one week exactly, at least in the US. I'll definitely try to see it, but with the holiday, it's probably not going to happen right away. As a side note, it's honestly more than a little concerning that the follow-up to an original, high-concept movie aimed at an adult (or at least not exclusively preteens and children) audience built on a solid story and a stacked ensemble cast that had long-term box-office success and was generally well received still can't get a reasonable theatrical release. <_<
On the one hand, it's Netflix sticking to their business model - have they done ANY releases in the past 3-4 years that got more than a week or two's box office run? On the other hand - yeah, it's concerning. But it's a sign of the times. None of the big Oscar contenders last year did well at the box office; no movies aimed primarily at adults have made an impact this year either, so far. Of course some of this is a chicken-and-egg thing; not just the new Knives Out but I suspect Blonde (despite it's mixed reviews) might have done some box office had there actually been a release. But studios have decided I guess that the adult-taste audience isn't worth bothering with anymore, or only to a very tiny extent. I think it's only going to get worse - the only thing that might change it is if there were actually multiple adult-oriented films that were huge hits, and if there are no releases that are even given that chance, well...it's pretty much the end of theatrical exhibition for all but the MCU and kiddie stuff and the like.
It was the truth, vivid and monstrous, that all the while he had waited the wait was itself his portion..
brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface »

Netflix paid an absolute fortune for rights to Knives Out sequel(s). They must see these as the kind of films that suit their medium and I guess there is something a bit TV-ish about an old school murder mystery even with an all-star cast.

Interesting to see if these kind of develop-a-franchise/sequel pickups are more the direction they going next. They went big on funding auteur directors the last 5 years but it hasn't got them Oscars and prob not got the viewers/subscribers to justify cost. There's a strong run on paper this winter with Bardo, White Noise, Del Toro's Pinocchio along with Glass Onion, but again doesn't look like they gonna be sweeping awards. Apple maybe cut in on this game a bit following the CODA shock. Not much looking Oscar likely this year but they got Ridley Scott and Martin Scorsese lined up next yr.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

brokenface wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 11:09 pm There's a strong run on paper this winter with Bardo, White Noise, Del Toro's Pinocchio along with Glass Onion, but again doesn't look like they gonna be sweeping awards.
I'm uncertain if their plan worked out for this one and its director is arguably a whole league below all mentioned above, but Blonde seems like an appetizer for that "finally award-worthy Netflix original content" streak of now.
Well observed by the way.
monclivie

Post by monclivie »

Is it just me one the whole planet who sees The Fabelmans trailer as extremely obnoxious and masturbatory? I see all these comments about "oh, i'm crying now" and "goosebumps!", and i'm like :huh: Maybe I don't love the cinema enough? :shrug:
beavis

Post by beavis »

hurluberlu wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 8:17 pm What is your top 10 beavis ?
just made another recap:

Top 10 new

9.5 - Everything Everywhere All at Once (2022)
9.0 - Petrovy v grippe (2021)
9.0 - The Northman (2022)
9.0 - Durna Çırağı (2021)
8.5 - Human Flowers of Flesh (2022)
8.5 - Flux Gourmet (2022)
8.5 - Beatrix (2021)
8.5 - Rimini (2022)
8.5 - Vi (2021)
8.5 - Azor (2021)

Top 10 older movies, seen for the first time

9.5 - Mariphasa (2017)
9.0 - Yasha-ga-ike (1979)
9.0 - Extinção (2018)
8.5 - Der lange Sommer der Theorie (2017)
8.5 - Castro (2009)
8.5 - The Connection (1961)
8.5 - Amerikai anzix (1975)
8.5 - Zabij to i wyjedz z tego miasta (2020)
8.5 - Zirneklis (1992)
8.5 - Comets (2019)

Top 10 combined

9.5 - Mariphasa (2017)
9.0 - Extinção (2018)
8.5 - Beatrix (2021)

top 10 2022 movies only

8.5 - Rimini (2022)
8.5 - Drii winter (2022)
8.5 - Nope (2022)
8.5 - La Piedad (2022)
8.5 - Crimes of the Future (2022)
8.5 - The Batman (2022)

flop 10 new

2.0 - La croisade (2021)
4.5 - Gekijôban Sword Art Online Progressive Hoshi naki yoru no Aria (2021)
4.5 - Beckett (2021)
5.5 - Occhiali neri (2022)
6.0 - One Piece Film: Red (2022)
6.0 - Ghahreman (2021)
6.0 - Avec amour et acharnement (2022)
6.0 - Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (2022) 
6.0 - Smagen af sult (2021)
6.0 - We're All Going to the World's Fair (2021)
6.0 - Heroic Bodies (2022)

flop 10 older, seen for the first time

3.5 - Les possédées du diable (1974)
4.0 - Hooly Bible II (2016)
4.0 - Bijo no harawata (1986)
4.0 - Bak fat moh lui zyun II (1993)
4.0 - Drevo (2014)
4.5 - Otoko wa tsurai yo (1969)
4.5 - Hatari! (1962)
4.5 - Supurigan (1998)
5.0 - Yôkai daisensô (1968)
5.0 - Ho moon yeh yin (1991)
5.0 - Her Socialist Smile (2020)
hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu »

beavis wrote: November 25th, 2022, 8:43 am
hurluberlu wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 8:17 pm What is your top 10 beavis ?
just made another recap:
Spoiler
Top 10 new

8.5 - Beatrix (2021)
8.5 - Rimini (2022)
8.5 - Vi (2021)
8.5 - Azor (2021)

Top 10 older movies, seen for the first time

9.5 - Mariphasa (2017)
9.0 - Extinção (2018)
8.5 - Der lange Sommer der Theorie (2017)
8.5 - Castro (2009)
8.5 - The Connection (1961)
8.5 - Amerikai anzix (1975)
8.5 - Zabij to i wyjedz z tego miasta (2020)
8.5 - Zirneklis (1992)
8.5 - Comets (2019)

Top 10 combined

9.5 - Mariphasa (2017)
9.0 - Extinção (2018)
8.5 - Beatrix (2021)

top 10 2022 movies only

8.5 - Rimini (2022)
8.5 - Drii winter (2022)
8.5 - Nope (2022)
8.5 - La Piedad (2022)
8.5 - Crimes of the Future (2022)
8.5 - The Batman (2022)

flop 10 new

2.0 - La croisade (2021)
4.5 - Gekijôban Sword Art Online Progressive Hoshi naki yoru no Aria (2021)
4.5 - Beckett (2021)
5.5 - Occhiali neri (2022)
6.0 - One Piece Film: Red (2022)
6.0 - Ghahreman (2021)
6.0 - Avec amour et acharnement (2022)
6.0 - Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (2022) 
6.0 - Smagen af sult (2021)
6.0 - We're All Going to the World's Fair (2021)
6.0 - Heroic Bodies (2022)

flop 10 older, seen for the first time

3.5 - Les possédées du diable (1974)
4.0 - Hooly Bible II (2016)
4.0 - Bijo no harawata (1986)
4.0 - Bak fat moh lui zyun II (1993)
4.0 - Drevo (2014)
4.5 - Otoko wa tsurai yo (1969)
4.5 - Hatari! (1962)
4.5 - Supurigan (1998)
5.0 - Yôkai daisensô (1968)
5.0 - Ho moon yeh yin (1991)
5.0 - Her Socialist Smile (2020)
Ahem, we dont have much overlap although of course I havent seen as many yet.

My 2022-only top 10 would be

1. Decision to Leave
2. Leila's Brothers
3. Jibaro
4. Aftersun
5. Letter to My Mother for My Son
6. En Roue Libre
7. As Bestas
8. Everything Everywhere All at Once
9. The Batman
10. Before, Now & Then

Petrov's flu and Beatrix are on my watch-list.
Nope was a strong disappointment, Crimes of the Future was a little meh.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Good_Will_Harding

For this week's iteration of "film score Friday Saturday", things are starting to wind down a bit, so this will probably be the last one for a while.

First up is thus far the only released cue from Oscar winner Hildur Guðnadóttir's score for Sarah Polley's awards hopeful Women Talking. A bit more harmonic and uplifting than her take on Joker, but nonetheless worth a listen.

Next up is the latest from two-time Oscar winning duo Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross, the cannibal love story Bones & All. I've been trying to steer clear of any major details about this film before I have the chance to see it, but this music is certainly quite pleasing to the ear.

Lastly we have Danny Elfman's largest undertaking in quite a while and his latest collaboration with Tim Burton, the score for the Netflix original series Wednesday, of course based on The Addams Family. Portions of it were co-written by Chris Bacon, likely in an effort to give Elfman time to work on another Netflix project, an entry in last weeks "film score Friday", White Noise.

OK, so "film score AND one television score Saturday" just wasn't as catchy. :whistling:
Good_Will_Harding

The most recent work by Terrence Malick has dropped and it's... a commercial for Louis Vuitton. :think:

I have no strong feelings either way towards this company or its marketing, but all I know is that there's sure some pretty images in this ad.
cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage »

I wish I as in Los Angeles in december...
Joe Dante wrote: Fellow Los Angeles cineastes! Trailers From Hell Guru Jon Davison and I will be feting a screening at the Academy Museum of Motion Pictures of our epic mashup marathon motion picture The Movie Orgy on December 17th! Tickets are free!
https://www.academymuseum.org/en/progra ... 2FBag970wk

Good_Will_Harding

Surprise trailer drop for the upcoming fifth Indiana Jones film, subtitled The Dial of Destiny. This marks the first one not to be directed by Steven Spielberg, but is this time helmed by James Mangold, director of Logan and the 2007 remake of 3:10 to Yuma.

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

It's not Spielberg-directed? Wow, I just assumed.
Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin »

Top 100 | Canon

Member of the Experimental Mafia | What's My Line? #1 Fan

ImageImage
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

So I guess they're giving Harrison Ford the Irishman treatment for this one?

It should probably be titled Indiana Jones and the Dial of Doddery.
PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy »

No objection from but that's a surprise. Some of the other big jumps in the top 100 not so thrilled about, tho.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Who actually wished for a fifth Indiana Jones, even more at Ford's current age?
No less since there never has been a fourth one .. tehe