Welcome to the ICM Forum.
Check out our Magazine

If you notice any issues please post in the Q&A thread. Email issue should be fixed. If you encounter this issue, contact PeacefulAnarchy
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 64 released December 2nd: How Everything Everywhere All at Once Was Suddenly Eveything Everywhere All at Once)
iCinema Magazine: WE ARE LIVE! (We just need more content)
ICMForum Film Festival 2022 Nov 14 - Dec 12
World Cup - Season 5: Round 1 Schedule
Polls: 2000s (Results), 1924 (Results), Canada (Nov 30th), Horror (Nov 30th), 1941 (Dec 26th)
Challenges: Cult/Grindhouse, Documentary, Turkey and Caucasus
About: Welcome All New Members, Terms of Use, Q&A

iCM Bugs

Post Reply
User avatar
Torgo
Posts: 6175
Joined: June 30th, 2011, 6:00 am
Location: Germany
Contact:

#2321

Post by Torgo »

kongs_speech wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 11:31 pm
xianjiro wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 10:37 pm On the official forum Marijn replied to Can’t update film info:
It seems it’s no longer possible to retrieve data from IMDb. We’re looking into alternatives.
Uhhh holy shit. Is this the end of ICM?
Glad I played it through this month.
RIP ICM listgame 2009-2022
User avatar
Ebbywebby
Posts: 5063
Joined: September 10th, 2012, 6:00 am
Location: Orange County, CA
Contact:

#2322

Post by Ebbywebby »

I guess an expert coder could figure out how to switch the data source from IMDb to themoviedb? But we don't seem to have one.
User avatar
kongs_speech
Posts: 3486
Joined: April 4th, 2020, 10:32 pm
Contact:

#2323

Post by kongs_speech »

Ebbywebby wrote: November 24th, 2022, 12:41 am I guess an expert coder could figure out how to switch the data source from IMDb to themoviedb? But we don't seem to have one.
Seems like the only way the site could survive. Fuck, if it came down to it, could we take up funds to hire a coder long enough to save the site? I won't lie, I'm miserably broke and can't chip in a dime. But if there's anyone here who could afford to be a mysterious benefactor and save our beloved ICM, perhaps it's time.
🏳️‍⚧️ (she/her)
JLG wrote: Photography is truth ... and cinema is truth 24 times a second.
First to check CODA (2021)
User avatar
Leopardi
Donator
Posts: 1957
Joined: February 4th, 2012, 7:00 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Contact:

#2324

Post by Leopardi »

Man, I wish I could help out on the coding front, but I have zero knowledge in this area. If we can hire an expert coder and have a workable solution to the problem, I should be able to help out.
User avatar
Tim2460
Posts: 11530
Joined: October 1st, 2018, 7:23 pm
Location: Dijon, France
Contact:

#2325

Post by Tim2460 »

We would need to know what is happening exactly
Image
User avatar
Fergenaprido
Donator
Posts: 8072
Joined: June 3rd, 2014, 6:00 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

#2326

Post by Fergenaprido »

Marijn is looking into a solution. Might have more updates after the weekend.

ICM's not going anywhere. Even if imdb permanently disabled the ability to connect to their data, it still wouldn't mean that ICM would go defunct or lose anything; it would just mean that new information couldn't be automatically imported or updated, and a manual solution would have to be rigged up.
Cinematic Omnivore 🧚‍♂️🦫
User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 10865
Joined: June 17th, 2015, 6:00 am
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#2327

Post by xianjiro »

well I doubt that the lists are in trouble as they exist on our servers -- we just used to leach data from IMDb through an open source means ... I forget the actual term for it but maybe one of the techies will come to my aid.

worst case scenario I see at this point is someone will have to actually enter all the new movie data 'by hand' as it were, unless Marijn finds a workaround
User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 10865
Joined: June 17th, 2015, 6:00 am
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#2328

Post by xianjiro »

All is not lost, my pretties. Sayeth Marijn:
It looks like it’s a general security measure. Most of the unofficial libraries stopped working since 2 days or so. Multiple issues can be found on GitHub.

Don’t worry, there are alternatives. Just need a little time to build something.
User avatar
Tasselfoot
Posts: 627
Joined: May 6th, 2014, 6:00 am
Contact:

#2329

Post by Tasselfoot »

Does this impact the IMDb lists updating? Or the box office ones (since BOM is part of IMDb)?
User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 10865
Joined: June 17th, 2015, 6:00 am
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#2330

Post by xianjiro »

Tasselfoot wrote: November 24th, 2022, 1:54 pm Does this impact the IMDb lists updating? Or the box office ones (since BOM is part of IMDb)?
good question! :thumbsup:
User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 10865
Joined: June 17th, 2015, 6:00 am
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#2331

Post by xianjiro »

Marijn:
IMDb seems to have lifted the security measure for now.
We’ll still explore other means, but updating should be working again.
So, reads like it has broken other websites -- websites with actual power to influence things at IMDb. Hope someone is monitoring whatever dev channels these issues are being discussed on ...

Also, as I've been thinking about Tasselfoot's last question, might be a good time to seriously discuss finalizing alternatives to the IMDb mini lists (decades/genres). Even if not perfect, having alternatives ready to go should the house of cards collapse seems a good approach.

Wish I would have tried my manual list updates over the last couple of days -- no idea if they were affected by the brief change or not. But I only do that for three lists (when I remember). It would suck to have have to do it for the 20+ lists, though clearly it's possible, just not the most fun.
User avatar
Fergenaprido
Donator
Posts: 8072
Joined: June 3rd, 2014, 6:00 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

#2332

Post by Fergenaprido »

xianjiro wrote: November 24th, 2022, 6:30 pm
Tasselfoot wrote: November 24th, 2022, 1:54 pm Does this impact the IMDb lists updating? Or the box office ones (since BOM is part of IMDb)?
good question! :thumbsup:
Marijn says that no, it shouldn't impact the imdb lists and those should still autoupdate.
Cinematic Omnivore 🧚‍♂️🦫
User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 10865
Joined: June 17th, 2015, 6:00 am
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#2333

Post by xianjiro »

Fergenaprido wrote: November 24th, 2022, 9:24 pm
xianjiro wrote: November 24th, 2022, 6:30 pm
Tasselfoot wrote: November 24th, 2022, 1:54 pm Does this impact the IMDb lists updating? Or the box office ones (since BOM is part of IMDb)?
good question! :thumbsup:
Marijn says that no, it shouldn't impact the imdb lists and those should still autoupdate.
:cheers:
User avatar
Torgo
Posts: 6175
Joined: June 30th, 2011, 6:00 am
Location: Germany
Contact:

#2334

Post by Torgo »

/relief
User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 10865
Joined: June 17th, 2015, 6:00 am
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#2335

Post by xianjiro »

Yeah, and I even added a title a couple hours ago! imagine that :)
User avatar
Ebbywebby
Posts: 5063
Joined: September 10th, 2012, 6:00 am
Location: Orange County, CA
Contact:

#2336

Post by Ebbywebby »

I think the "can't add/import" bug is back.
User avatar
Torgo
Posts: 6175
Joined: June 30th, 2011, 6:00 am
Location: Germany
Contact:

#2337

Post by Torgo »

It would appear so.
Oh, well. As long as a solution can be found so quick as last time .. :$
User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 10865
Joined: June 17th, 2015, 6:00 am
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#2338

Post by xianjiro »

and just for clarity, the update info link is also returning the same error email/iCM message
User avatar
Ebbywebby
Posts: 5063
Joined: September 10th, 2012, 6:00 am
Location: Orange County, CA
Contact:

#2339

Post by Ebbywebby »

Working again now? I just added two films.
User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 10865
Joined: June 17th, 2015, 6:00 am
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#2340

Post by xianjiro »

yeah, I assume I updated something ... didn't get the error message & email like the last time I tried

I wonder if it's because Marijn was able to update a setting on his end (like when IMDb switched from http to https) or if it'll just keep coming and going as IMDb does whatever they are working on. I know I've seen that different IMDb search result page, but it's not every time. I also get a different nm page on my phone (and I really hate it!)

Guess I'm just glad the sites have stayed useful/useable this long ... but that's not a promise on the Internet. No idea what I'd do if iCM went away (and this is nothing more than a thought experiment -- there's been no indication that it won't continue on as long as someone is around to run the servers). But, for example, if life meant Marijn had to leave (life change, new job, whatever), it would be hard to keep things going. Honestly, that worries me a lot more than neither version working 100% since I can do everything I need to do one way or the other. When that changes :shrug: iCM is only really useful because we share the work of keeping lists -- yeah, I might choose which lists I'd keep again on my computer, but then again, not sure I'd do much more than log watches to my spreadsheet to avoid dupes. I don't keep any lists on my computer any more (and I'm not interested in Letterboxd).
User avatar
Ebbywebby
Posts: 5063
Joined: September 10th, 2012, 6:00 am
Location: Orange County, CA
Contact:

#2341

Post by Ebbywebby »

xianjiro wrote: November 30th, 2022, 8:27 am yeah, I assume I updated something ...
What sort of data do you fill in? Always a relief to hear about anyone else doing this sort of thing.
User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 10865
Joined: June 17th, 2015, 6:00 am
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#2342

Post by xianjiro »

Ebbywebby wrote: November 30th, 2022, 6:17 pm
xianjiro wrote: November 30th, 2022, 8:27 am yeah, I assume I updated something ...
What sort of data do you fill in? Always a relief to hear about anyone else doing this sort of thing.
Sorry I'm going to burst that relief bubble ... I mostly fill in time data when it's missing on IMDb or any other things that catch my eye, but it's just a by-product of my usual process. I'm not actively looking to make sure the credits are complte or anything. Honestly, I find the whole process rather cumbersome and annoying on IMDb. To be quite frank, I'm way more of a data consistency nazi than grammar nazi. I've done a couple db projects in my professional life and messy dbs are about my equivalent of Michael Bay making an experimental film about unrequited love between Transformers as they battle flying piranhas in Bollywood. And I see IMDb as a hugely inconsistent mess.

As for iCM, I'm most tempted to update when I see wide differences in ratings, but I don't generally scrutinize the data.
User avatar
Ebbywebby
Posts: 5063
Joined: September 10th, 2012, 6:00 am
Location: Orange County, CA
Contact:

#2343

Post by Ebbywebby »

xianjiro wrote: November 30th, 2022, 8:21 pm
Ebbywebby wrote: November 30th, 2022, 6:17 pm
xianjiro wrote: November 30th, 2022, 8:27 am yeah, I assume I updated something ...
What sort of data do you fill in? Always a relief to hear about anyone else doing this sort of thing.
Sorry I'm going to burst that relief bubble ... I mostly fill in time data when it's missing on IMDb or any other things that catch my eye, but it's just a by-product of my usual process. I'm not actively looking to make sure the credits are complte or anything. Honestly, I find the whole process rather cumbersome and annoying on IMDb. To be quite frank, I'm way more of a data consistency nazi than grammar nazi. I've done a couple db projects in my professional life and messy dbs are about my equivalent of Michael Bay making an experimental film about unrequited love between Transformers as they battle flying piranhas in Bollywood. And I see IMDb as a hugely inconsistent mess.

As for iCM, I'm most tempted to update when I see wide differences in ratings, but I don't generally scrutinize the data.
(u) Well, at least you do SOMETHING....

My last "big" fix was importing about 18 missing credits for early animation director Paul Terry. But I steadily add runtimes and directors here and there.

https://beta.icheckmovies.com/movies?fi ... 20terry%27

What do you mean by "wide differences in ratings"? If you're talking about a film's IMDb rating vs. the IMDb rating displayed on ICM, I don't even pay any attention to that.
User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 10865
Joined: June 17th, 2015, 6:00 am
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#2344

Post by xianjiro »

Ebbywebby wrote: November 30th, 2022, 9:09 pm What do you mean by "wide differences in ratings"? If you're talking about a film's IMDb rating vs. the IMDb rating displayed on ICM, I don't even pay any attention to that.
Think we're on the same page -- it's not something I pay a lot of attention to, but if I see a substantial difference between the two sites, I figure the data hasn't been updated on iCM for some time so that usually triggers a visit to the beta page and Update info
User avatar
Torgo
Posts: 6175
Joined: June 30th, 2011, 6:00 am
Location: Germany
Contact:

#2345

Post by Torgo »

xianjiro wrote: December 1st, 2022, 1:02 am
Ebbywebby wrote: November 30th, 2022, 9:09 pm What do you mean by "wide differences in ratings"? If you're talking about a film's IMDb rating vs. the IMDb rating displayed on ICM, I don't even pay any attention to that.
Think we're on the same page -- it's not something I pay a lot of attention to, but if I see a substantial difference between the two sites, I figure the data hasn't been updated on iCM for some time so that usually triggers a visit to the beta page and Update info
May I tell you guys a secret? I like that difference. It works like a time capsule.
I'd say 95% of the time, films (which were released before the heyday of ICM, so already had an established core rating) have their IMDb rating go down by at least 0.1 points, sometimes 0.2. Interesting to witness. Ferg monitors this a lot and knows better than I do. I suppose it has something to do with other thresholds and the mysterious IMDb formula which includes the average site mean; I recall values of 6.8, 6.9 and 7.0 for that (don't make me swear).
It stopped getting synced by 2016, is that possible?, or even when titles were imported to ICM?, I'm not entirely sure ..
User avatar
Fergenaprido
Donator
Posts: 8072
Joined: June 3rd, 2014, 6:00 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

#2346

Post by Fergenaprido »

Torgo wrote: December 1st, 2022, 3:59 am
xianjiro wrote: December 1st, 2022, 1:02 am
Ebbywebby wrote: November 30th, 2022, 9:09 pm What do you mean by "wide differences in ratings"? If you're talking about a film's IMDb rating vs. the IMDb rating displayed on ICM, I don't even pay any attention to that.
Think we're on the same page -- it's not something I pay a lot of attention to, but if I see a substantial difference between the two sites, I figure the data hasn't been updated on iCM for some time so that usually triggers a visit to the beta page and Update info
May I tell you guys a secret? I like that difference. It works like a time capsule.
I'd say 95% of the time, films (which were released before the heyday of ICM, so already had an established core rating) have their IMDb rating go down by at least 0.1 points, sometimes 0.2. Interesting to witness. Ferg monitors this a lot and knows better than I do. I suppose it has something to do with other thresholds and the mysterious IMDb formula which includes the average site mean; I recall values of 6.8, 6.9 and 7.0 for that (don't make me swear).
It stopped getting synced by 2016, is that possible?, or even when titles were imported to ICM?, I'm not entirely sure ..
Haha I do monitor that. Hit me up if you ever want to know the rating journey of a film(s). And yes, they stopped syncing around the same time tags were deprecated... might have been 2016, but I thought it was later in 2018 or so.
Cinematic Omnivore 🧚‍♂️🦫
Post Reply