Welcome to the ICM Forum.
Check out our Magazine

If you notice any issues please post in the Q&A thread. Email issue should be fixed. If you encounter this issue, contact PeacefulAnarchy
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 60 released October 1st: IMDb vs Letterboxd)
iCinema Magazine: WE ARE LIVE! (We just need more content)
ICMForum Film Festival 2022: Mon Nov 14 - Dec 12
Polls: Music Videos (Results), 2010 (Sep 25th), Senegal (Sep 30th), 500<400 (Oct 3rd), Japan (Oct 31st)
Challenges: Horror, Indian Subcontinent, Each Year
About: Welcome All New Members, Terms of Use, Q&A

iCM Forum's Highest Rated Movies: A New Beginning (next update 1 October 2022)

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

mightysparks wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 9:25 am Yea, unless someone requests their list to be removed the latest list they gave me will still be used.
:thumbsup:

Another question: I can't remember if we've discussed the methodology or not. I the ranking based on total, average, or a calculated score? Again, no complaints either way, just wanted to understand what the rankings mean. ;)
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

xianjiro wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 10:13 am
mightysparks wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 9:25 am Yea, unless someone requests their list to be removed the latest list they gave me will still be used.

Another question: I can't remember if we've discussed the methodology or not. I the ranking based on total, average, or a calculated score? Again, no complaints either way, just wanted to understand what the rankings mean. ;)
Just the plain ol' average of all ratings. Only films with 5+ ratings in the main list and ties are sorted by # votes (more votes listed first). You can see the averages on the Google sheet which I just realised I forgot to update so I'll do that when I finish with work.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | Letterboxd | Linktree | TSZDT

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

mightysparks wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 10:39 am
xianjiro wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 10:13 am

Just the plain ol' average of all ratings. Only films with 5+ ratings in the main list and ties are sorted by # votes (more votes listed first). You can see the averages on the Google sheet which I just realised I forgot to update so I'll do that when I finish with work.
Sounds great and thanks again for putting this together and making it happen. I really like these lists! We were talking about "watching everything..." on another thread and now I've got yet more stuff that I really must watch. I really should go back to just watching film all day long if I'm ever going to watch everything I think I should. :lol:
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

mightysparks wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 4:06 am Bottom 100
Phew, managed to maintain my bronze.
AB537

Post by AB537 »

This is a super interesting list and thanks mightysparks for your efforts in putting it together. I'm hoping to knock off at least a few of my unseen films on this list before the next update.
ICM Forum Challenge winner: 2020 Crime, 2021 UK/Ireland
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

Thank you for another update mighty! Especially after hearing about the challenges it takes to get these lists working on the spreadsheets, I'm very appreciative of your efforts.

Looking at the list on ICM, it seems to be pretty popular (93 Favorites, 72 Watchlists), almost double the number of current participants in the poll. A suggestion would be to add a note in the description of the list, something like, "want to contribute your own ratings to this list? Join us at ICM Forum to get started [link to this thread]". Could be a nice way of directing more ICM users to this poll and increasing the number of participants in future iterations.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

You had me there for a second - that fav count would be insane, even more so in such a short timespan!
Turns out that only five of those 93 thumbs up were handed out since the list revival in last year, the other 88 during who-knows-when within the decade before. Without sounding negative, I'm sure a huge part of those isn't too active on the site anymore or not aware of updates of the lists.
This shouldn't hinder mighty from inviting readers to join the cult, of course. Although we wouldn't take anyone, right - not to attract random drive-by voters from the webz.

---

I find many of the Top 1000 inclusions .. strange.
Deadfall entered the list at #79:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062868/ - https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/deadfall-1968/
Is this so much of a hidden gem it should deserve a mention in the 100 most noteworthy features of all time? I wouldn't know because I haven't seen it. I'm skeptical at this point.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Torgo wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 4:01 pm

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062868/ - https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/deadfall-1968/
Is this so much of a hidden gem it should deserve a mention in the 100 most noteworthy features of all time? I wouldn't know because I haven't seen it. I'm skeptical at this point.
Bryan Forbes. We definitely have one Bryan Forbes superfan here (sol); maybe we have one or two others. That'd be enough.

Haven't seen it either. I like the four films from the director I've seen, but have not been blown away or anything and haven't really made an effort to see more.
It was the truth, vivid and monstrous, that all the while he had waited the wait was itself his portion..
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

Torgo wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 4:01 pm You had me there for a second - that fav count would be insane, even more so in such a short timespan!
Turns out that only five of those 93 thumbs up were handed out since the list revival in last year, the other 88 during who-knows-when within the decade before. Without sounding negative, I'm sure a huge part of those isn't too active on the site anymore or not aware of updates of the lists.
This shouldn't hinder mighty from inviting readers to join the cult, of course. Although we wouldn't take anyone, right - not to attract random drive-by voters from the webz
Ahhh, that makes more sense. I assumed this list was new with the revival of the project a year ago. If this list has existed with updates for a decade with only 5 recent votes then you’re right, it’s not the groundswell of interest I imagined.
Gordon_Gekko

Post by Gordon_Gekko »

beasterne wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 3:44 pm Thank you for another update mighty! Especially after hearing about the challenges it takes to get these lists working on the spreadsheets, I'm very appreciative of your efforts.

Looking at the list on ICM, it seems to be pretty popular (93 Favorites, 72 Watchlists), almost double the number of current participants in the poll. A suggestion would be to add a note in the description of the list, something like, "want to contribute your own ratings to this list? Join us at ICM Forum to get started [link to this thread]". Could be a nice way of directing more ICM users to this poll and increasing the number of participants in future iterations.
+1
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Torgo wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 4:01 pm You had me there for a second - that fav count would be insane, even more so in such a short timespan!
This shouldn't hinder mighty from inviting readers to join the cult, of course. Although we wouldn't take anyone, right - not to attract random drive-by voters from the webz.

---

I like the list for this kinda stuff. With a minimum of 5 votes needed you just need a small mafia for some weird thing to enter. Indeed Deadfall has 5 votes with an average rating of 8.0. Voters include ekremcan, matthewscott8, PdA, RogerTheMovieManiac88 and sol.

And yea, when themagician was running this project we had over 100 ratings included but that was back when you could download other people's ratings lists and we had more active members so I assume most likes on the list came from that original project. I wanted to keep updates in the same list so we could access the historical updates too.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

mightysparks wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 4:36 pm

---

I like the list for this kinda stuff. With a minimum of 5 votes needed you just need a small mafia for some weird thing to enter. Indeed Deadfall has 5 votes with an average rating of 8.0. Voters include ekremcan, matthewscott8, PdA, RogerTheMovieManiac88 and sol.

And yea, when themagician was running this project we had over 100 ratings included but that was back when you could download other people's ratings lists and we had more active members so I assume most likes on the list came from that original project. I wanted to keep updates in the same list so we could access the historical updates too.
Maybe I misunderstood something, but were you able to take ownership of themagician's lists or did you create new lists for this project?

I also like the idea of encouraging others to participate (from iCM, since that's where the lists reside even if the project is based here).
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Mighty always hosted the magician's lists on icm for this project.
Cinematic Omnivore 🧚‍♂️🦫
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Fergenaprido wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 8:12 pm Mighty always hosted the magician's lists on icm for this project.
ah, ok. that's what I didn't know. Thanks!
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Okay, I've answered another question I had - iCM Forum's Top 100 Highest Rated Musicals

I used the data to compile a similar list that interests me. If people are interested in genre lists, I'd be happy to add that -- don't want to create more work for you, mighty, but it's your call! Western, Noir, SciFi might be 'useful' as well. Drama/Comedy, I'm not sure since there are so many.

Is there any interest in genre lists based on this dataset?
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

xianjiro wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 9:10 pm Okay, I've answered another question I had - iCM Forum's Top 100 Highest Rated Musicals
#5 Ruined Heart was brought to you by the Onderhondian mafia!

LOL I just realize I still have Hamilton rated 9/10 to troll a friend who may or not have been stalking my ratings at that time. I was impressed with the thing, but not that much. :D Would my correct 8 stars already change its ranking?
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Yeah, I was kinda surprised that Hamilton's done so well. I haven't seen it yet but can't imagine it will be a "hit" with me. I tried listening to the CD and barely made it through the first disc. I found it really frenetic and at times a bit too anachronistic -- thus why I haven't been overly motivated to hunt it down as it doesn't seem to be on DVD/BRD yet.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

xianjiro wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 9:32 pm at times a bit too anachronistic
:ph43r:

But yeah, I guess the type of music has to have a minimum appeal to you so that the thing works in the slightest.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

As much of a musical fan as I am, I've had no real interest in Hamilton. Leaving aside the "filmed stage play" thing, I wasn't super-impressed by In the Heights, or most of Miranda's other music/songs that I've heard. And the whole historical anachronism thing CAN be pretty interesting, but it's something I tend to be wary of anyway. And frankly a super-high IMDb score on any new film is more likely a bad sign than good.

21 others unseen, most of which look more interesting to me though few are priorities. Cremaster?
It was the truth, vivid and monstrous, that all the while he had waited the wait was itself his portion..
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Got too tired last night but I just updated the Google sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1616542053

Previously I only included movie, tvmovie and video (categories used to make the main highest rated list) in the sheet to cut down on load time but I included everything with 5+ votes now.

Also a warning that video games may be included which will cause issues if you try to import into iCM so make sure to filter those out.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

xianjiro wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 9:10 pm Okay, I've answered another question I had - iCM Forum's Top 100 Highest Rated Musicals

I used the data to compile a similar list that interests me. If people are interested in genre lists, I'd be happy to add that -- don't want to create more work for you, mighty, but it's your call! Western, Noir, SciFi might be 'useful' as well. Drama/Comedy, I'm not sure since there are so many.

More genre lists the better ;) I just updated the Google sheet which might change this list btw. Surprised I'd seen 62/106 considering I don't really watch musicals..

Torgo

Post by Torgo »

55/106 and I don't really watch musicals. Also, only 68 of the films are tagged as musical on ICM .. :think:

---
mightysparks wrote: July 3rd, 2022, 1:20 am Got too tired last night but I just updated the Google sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1616542053
Monster a Go-Go - 8 - 1.375
Manos: The Hands of Fate - 17 - 1.706

Impressive, impressive.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

mightysparks wrote: July 3rd, 2022, 1:26 am

More genre lists the better ;) I just updated the Google sheet which might change this list btw. Surprised I'd seen 62/106 considering I don't really watch musicals..
Thanks! I'll redo it and ad some others in the next few days (as I'm able).
Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity »

Torgo wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 4:01 pmI find many of the Top 1000 inclusions .. strange.
viewtopic.php?p=761334&#p761286
viewtopic.php?p=751484&#p751201
viewtopic.php?t=5800&start=40#p752398
viewtopic.php?t=5322&start=280#p689254

Does this kind of answer it?

>...should deserve a mention in the 100 most noteworthy features of all time?<

It's a poll. A poll that doesn't even require active participation from the people who submit lists in terms of curating a list specifically for this project. Whatever the submitted ratings happen to be, that's the result. It's pure number-crunching. The project makes no claims to be a critical evaluation of film art or that the films that come out on top are to be considered canon.

'Deadfall' certainly got lucky in a sense that it had just enough votes to reach the minimum requirement to qualify for the main list and that (presumingly) all five of those people liked the film. Is it so good that it could hold this position if instead of five votes it got fifteen? There isn't really any other way of finding out than to have those fifteen votes become a reality in the future. Does the film "deserve" its position? Well, to this I can only say that whether something has five, fifteen or fifty-thousand votes, you'll have to make up your own mind about it, which usually is best done by just seeing it yourself.
We do not have to understand new things, but by dint of patience, effort and method to come to understand with our whole self the truths which are evident.Image
LETTERBOXD | MUBI | IMDb | tumblr.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Okay, I've used the updated spreadsheet to create genre lists (more to come as I work on the project - if it isn't linked, that list hasn't been done yet).
Genre Lists
  • Action
  • Adult
  • Adventure
  • Animation
  • Biography
  • Comedy
  • Crime
  • Drama
  • Family
  • Fantasy
  • Film-Noir
  • History
  • Musical
  • Music
  • Mystery
  • Romance
  • Sci-Fi
  • Sport
  • Thriller
  • War
  • Western
Two Three things:
  • So far I'm only including things tagged "movies" (no TV series, miniseries, epidsodes, etc). Discussion?
  • Yes, the title says 100, but due to ties, I've included all titles with the same score at the bottom. I didn't use number of votes as a tie breaker, but we can if more prefer it that way.
  • Went ahead and did the top 250 dramas (no tie)
Last edited by xianjiro on July 4th, 2022, 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

btw, we've only included 3 adult movies, so not sure that I'll make that a genre list ;) If shorts are included, it explodes to a whopping 9 titles -- do I need to mention there aren't many adult (as in porn) TV series?
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

I use movies, TV movies and video for the main list (and exclude documentaries but I left docs in for the horror one) but just using movies is fine. I have also manually changed films labeled as TV movie and video to shorts if they were under 45 minutes.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

yeah, TV movies does have some impact - so some feedback from users would be good though I don't know if I want to create two lists for comparison since it's so damn difficult to delete lists from iCM, but I could find another way to publish them if people are interested

I've obviously avoided the genres that already have lists (docu, horror) & felt we could exclude shorts from other genres since they also have a list.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Okay, I've been working on improving my process for genre lists and have added the following:
Movies and TVMovies are included in these lists. I've been doing 250 for 'big' and 100 for 'smaller' genres. Thoughts?
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

OldAle1 wrote: July 1st, 2022, 5:55 pm
Fergenaprido wrote: July 1st, 2022, 5:52 pm
OldAle1 wrote: July 1st, 2022, 5:47 pm

Good work. It's weird how with Fincher in particular, if you just look at his main page it shows 59 titles under "Director: Movie", but then if you click to sort his filmography and check "feature film" there's only 13 - the correct number. I guess the word "Movie" means something different to somebody who has made these changes than it does to most of us. At the very least even if you did call them movies, they ought to be TV movies because they never showed in theaters, but then...ah fuck it, I can't make sense of the thinking.
Okay. Fincher will be my mini-project for the long weekend :D
I always forget that Canada Day comes so close to our Independence Day. Be glad you're a Canadian citizen, especially given what's been going on in your southern neighbor lately! I'm glad my nieces will have that choice should they need it.
FYI I did do this, but there are 6 music videos that stubbornly refuse to accept the "short" genre tag. I've tried each one two or three times now. Perhaps someone else will have better luck.
Cinematic Omnivore 🧚‍♂️🦫
matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 »

AB537 wrote: April 3rd, 2022, 2:52 am ...Woman of Straw (Basil Dearden, 1964) - all received high ratings from me.
I watched this one a few nights ago and can see why it has high rated. It's a well made inheritance / succession drama with interesting characters and viperous behaviour, the dialogue is pretty great.

Bizarrely it's also the second movie I've seen this month with actual live footage of deep sea fishing, which in this case was clearly not stock footage. Animal torture in movies is not ok. Such a shame. When people wonder why films aren't distributed anymore it seems a very common answer.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Reminder that next update is in about 10 days. Send me those sweet sweet csv's :party:

pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda »

I've added a new sheet with my ratings directly into the Google doc, I hope it's fine
"Art is like a fire, it is born from the very thing it burns" - Jean-Luc Godard
cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage »

Done !!
Strangely enough, I have over 11 000 checks, but less than 10 000 rated movies on imdb. I will need to adress this someday...
Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan »

mightysparks wrote: September 21st, 2022, 12:51 pm Reminder that next update is in about 10 days. Send me those sweet sweet csv's :party:
Owner of six platinum awards
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

My sheet is updated!
maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux »

mightysparks wrote: September 21st, 2022, 12:51 pm Reminder that next update is in about 10 days. Send me those sweet sweet csv's :party:
Updated my sheet in the Google Doc.

Fun fact: IMDB's csv exports your ratings alphabetically by tt-code. Sharing this because I definitely did not take the several minutes to figure out the default sort order...
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

maxwelldeux wrote: September 23rd, 2022, 3:52 am
Updated my sheet in the Google Doc.

Fun fact: IMDB's csv exports your ratings alphabetically by tt-code. Sharing this because I definitely did not take the several minutes to figure out the default sort order...
Never realised this myself :/

---

Received updates from:
beasterne
cinephage
maxwelldeux
peeptoad
Torgo
Kublai Khan
pitchorneirda

:cheers:

jeff_v

Post by jeff_v »

I updated my sheet earlier this week.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

jeff_v wrote: September 23rd, 2022, 4:58 pm I updated my sheet earlier this week.
:cheers:

Just as a reminder for everyone from the OP:
If you post or update your ratings on the Google sheet, right click your tab name -> change colour -> choose the third colour on the second row:
Spoiler
Or post here to let me know you have updated your sheet.
There's no easy way for me to see what has been updated so I'll miss it otherwise.