Welcome to the ICM Forum.
Check out our Magazine

If you notice any issues please post in the Q&A thread. Email issue should be fixed. If you encounter this issue, contact PeacefulAnarchy
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 56 released August 1st: Is Found Footage the Worst Thing to Happen to Cinema?)
iCinema Magazine: WE ARE LIVE! (We just need more content)
ICMForum Film Festival 2022: Mon Nov 14 - Dec 12
Polls: Swan Songs (Results), Germany (May 30th), New Zealand (Jul 3rd), 1962 (Jul 30th), Performers (Jul 31st), Unofficial Checks (Jul 31st), Brazil (Jul 31st), Philippines (Aug 31st)
Challenges: Canadian, Unofficial Movies, Personal Toplists
About: Welcome All New Members, Terms of Use, Q&A

What is the Best Golf Course in the World?

kongs_speech

Re: What is the Best Golf Course in the World?

Post by kongs_speech »

The one with Bill Murray and the gopher.
🏳️‍⚧️ (she/her)
Mr. Blonde wrote: Are you gonna bark all day, little doggie, or are you gonna bite?
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
First to check CODA (2021)
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Kong keeps starting these weird threads, and even in General Film Discussion! Everything okay over there?
tehe
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Torgo wrote: August 1st, 2022, 3:32 pm Kong keeps starting these weird threads, and even in General Film Discussion! Everything okay over there?
tehe
I simply can't resist trolling the bots.
🏳️‍⚧️ (she/her)
Mr. Blonde wrote: Are you gonna bark all day, little doggie, or are you gonna bite?
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
First to check CODA (2021)
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Not the one where Bob Barker beat the crap out of Adam Sandler?
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

kongs_speech wrote: August 1st, 2022, 12:56 pm The one with Bill Murray and the golpher.
:whistling:
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
More memorable quotes
OldAle1 wrote:I think four Aamir Khan films is enough for me. Unless I'm down to one film left on the IMDb Top 250 at some point and he's in that last film, at which point I'll watch it and then shoot myself having become the official-check-whoring person I hate.
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
Torgo wrote:Lammetje is some kind of hybrid Anna-Kendrick-lamb-entity to me and I find that very cool.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*
peeptoad

Post by peeptoad »

The Green Monkey

...good thing it's not an orange monkey. Too many of those already.
RolandKirkSunglasses

Post by RolandKirkSunglasses »

None, they're all products of Satan in need of salvation/redistributing to the homeless.

Minkin

Post by Minkin »

I have a weird history with golf, which is only mildly interesting.

My uncle was on his way to becoming a professional golfer back in the 80s, but it interfered too much with his college degree - so he basically had to choose golf or education and chose the boringly safe route and now is some head honcho boat insurance executive. But he never gave up playing golf and trying to get everyone else to play. So I, as their test-run-of-having-a-kid niece, was encouraged to play golf by him. Went to a golf summer camp; would stay at their house in the summer for a couple weeks and playing golf, etc etc. But I was never very good, and I only had a passing interest in it - and just sort of abandoned playing it eventually, as it was around middle school, and junior golf seemed rather passé at that point + my parents didn't really encourage it much + I became more interested in film. So, I gave up playing golf and never got into it again after that.

As a result, I don't care much for golf, although I must admit that the Pebble Beach Pro-Am is highly amusing - as you see the pros play alongside a litany of fucking random people like Condoleezza Rice, Huey Lewis, and notable regular and only real reason to watch: Bill Murray - who's every bit as much fun as you'd think seeing outtakes of Caddyshack would be (made all the better with the boring blasé commentators trying to make sense of it) - so do look up YouTube highlights of him at Pebble Beach, that's my one recommendation from this post.

But golf courses are a weird urban development "problem" - as golf is NOT doing so hot right now - as most of the clubs' members are dying off and millennials, even executive ones, don't give a rat's ass about golf anymore. So there's a lot of courses going bankrupt and closing down shop right now - and then the question comes up of what do you do with all of that land? Some of it is being purchased by foreign investors and then just sat on vacantly since the land will always be valuable. Some of them are being redeveloped into new housing developments - most with just a pitiful token community park (I hate this shit) and call that good. Housing developments (not affordable housing, mind you, we could never have such a thing as that) is the likely future of all courses - even if there's already houses surrounding the course. Of course there's water issues - especially out here in this desert landscape - but for some reason there always manages to be enough water for golf courses... :think:

The problem is that, as shitty as golf courses are, they're still green space that's being used by wild animals - and if you develop the shit out of it, you're just passing the animal problem onto someone else / making death traps. So as absurdly narwhal-brained as golf is, the courses are still important spaces for someone (animals), and it takes a lot of mitigation to get past that.

So, I'm sort of mixed on the end of the era of golf - as I'd rather have the greenspace than more overpriced houses. I think it would be best to just re-seed the land and turn it back into natural ecosystems, but I know that's never going to happen. :(
Cinema Safari (Currently working on Inyo County, CA + Zimbabwe upgrade) Help recommend me movies to watch) Letterboxd
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

Minkin wrote: August 5th, 2022, 10:14 am I have a weird history with golf, which is only mildly interesting.

My uncle was on his way to becoming a professional golfer back in the 80s, but it interfered too much with his college degree - so he basically had to choose golf or education and chose the boringly safe route and now is some head honcho boat insurance executive. But he never gave up playing golf and trying to get everyone else to play. So I, as their test-run-of-having-a-kid niece, was encouraged to play golf by him. Went to a golf summer camp; would stay at their house in the summer for a couple weeks and playing golf, etc etc. But I was never very good, and I only had a passing interest in it - and just sort of abandoned playing it eventually, as it was around middle school, and junior golf seemed rather passé at that point + my parents didn't really encourage it much + I became more interested in film. So, I gave up playing golf and never got into it again after that.

As a result, I don't care much for golf, although I must admit that the Pebble Beach Pro-Am is highly amusing - as you see the pros play alongside a litany of fucking random people like Condoleezza Rice, Huey Lewis, and notable regular and only real reason to watch: Bill Murray - who's every bit as much fun as you'd think seeing outtakes of Caddyshack would be (made all the better with the boring blasé commentators trying to make sense of it) - so do look up YouTube highlights of him at Pebble Beach, that's my one recommendation from this post.

But golf courses are a weird urban development "problem" - as golf is NOT doing so hot right now - as most of the clubs' members are dying off and millennials, even executive ones, don't give a rat's ass about golf anymore. So there's a lot of courses going bankrupt and closing down shop right now - and then the question comes up of what do you do with all of that land? Some of it is being purchased by foreign investors and then just sat on vacantly since the land will always be valuable. Some of them are being redeveloped into new housing developments - most with just a pitiful token community park (I hate this shit) and call that good. Housing developments (not affordable housing, mind you, we could never have such a thing as that) is the likely future of all courses - even if there's already houses surrounding the course. Of course there's water issues - especially out here in this desert landscape - but for some reason there always manages to be enough water for golf courses... :think:

The problem is that, as shitty as golf courses are, they're still green space that's being used by wild animals - and if you develop the shit out of it, you're just passing the animal problem onto someone else / making death traps. So as absurdly narwhal-brained as golf is, the courses are still important spaces for someone (animals), and it takes a lot of mitigation to get past that.

So, I'm sort of mixed on the end of the era of golf - as I'd rather have the greenspace than more overpriced houses. I think it would be best to just re-seed the land and turn it back into natural ecosystems, but I know that's never going to happen. :(
I appreciate you sharing this and other posts about the use of land in California, Minnie. :) I've always thought there are way too many golf courses in dry areas in the US.

Also, Bill Murray seems to be really good at the sport! I watched a few highlights, he knows what he's doing.
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
More memorable quotes
OldAle1 wrote:I think four Aamir Khan films is enough for me. Unless I'm down to one film left on the IMDb Top 250 at some point and he's in that last film, at which point I'll watch it and then shoot myself having become the official-check-whoring person I hate.
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
Torgo wrote:Lammetje is some kind of hybrid Anna-Kendrick-lamb-entity to me and I find that very cool.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

I have a buddy who recently complained to me that every suburban dad he meets in his neighborhood asks him if he plays golf, and when he says no, they're very insistent that he has to start.

All that being said, aside from some people in college who were on the golf team, I don't know anyone who plays golf. Maybe that's a product of living in a city, although there are certainly plenty of courses within New York. I did know the guy who wrote this book. Last I heard, he's an editor at Golf magazine.
gunnar

Post by gunnar »

I usually play golf 5-6 times per year. I've played a few times at one of the golf courses in the city of Detroit, but usually we go to one of the suburban golf courses within a 20-30 minute drive. I'm not a great golfer, but I'll make a number of nice shots during the round. Too bad I can't make those shots consistently. It's just a fun way to spend 3-4 hours hanging out with friends.