Welcome to the ICM Forum.
Check out our Magazine

If you notice any issues please post in the Q&A thread. Email issue should be fixed. If you encounter this issue, contact PeacefulAnarchy
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 56 released August 1st: Is Found Footage the Worst Thing to Happen to Cinema?)
iCinema Magazine: WE ARE LIVE! (We just need more content)
ICMForum Film Festival 2022: Mon Nov 14 - Dec 12
Polls: Swan Songs (Results), Germany (May 30th), New Zealand (Jul 3rd), 1962 (Jul 30th), Performers (Jul 31st), Unofficial Checks (Jul 31st), Brazil (Jul 31st), Philippines (Aug 31st)
Challenges: Canadian, Unofficial Movies, Personal Toplists
About: Welcome All New Members, Terms of Use, Q&A

Country Poll: New Zealand [CLOSED]

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
gromit82
Donator

Post by gromit82 »

1. Heavenly Creatures (Peter Jackson, 1994)
2. Forgotten Silver (Costa Botes & Peter Jackson, 1995)
3. Two Cars, One Night (Taika Waititi, 2003)
4. Jojo Rabbit (Taika Waititi, 2019)
5. Abiogenesis (Richard Mans, 2011)
6. Dustie (Chris Mangin, 1971)
7. Whale Rider (Niki Caro, 2002)
8. Infection (James Cunningham, 2000)
9. The Frog, the Dog, and the Devil (Bob Stenhouse, 1986)
Spoiler
Last edited by gromit82 on July 3rd, 2022, 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Angel Glez

Post by Angel Glez »

Fergenaprido wrote: June 25th, 2022, 11:19 pm
Is your list unranked?
Affirmative.
peeptoad

Post by peeptoad »

Fergenaprido wrote: June 25th, 2022, 10:07 pm
peeptoad wrote: June 6th, 2022, 12:04 pm can I get rulings on these? I suspect most would be ineligible, but just want to check...

thanks!
The World's Fastest Indian (2005) - NZ film, eligible
Slow West (2015) - British-NZ production, not eligible
Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence (1983) - Japanese-British-NZ production, not eligible
Strange Behavior (1981) - British production filmed in NZ but set in the US. There's not much info but I found some old newspaper clippings that confirmed it was a British production (despite having American director & screenwriter),which is missing from imdb. So not eligible.
:cheers:

I'm going to include PotD for now; if it gets disqualified then I'll readjust...
peeptoad

Post by peeptoad »

1. The Quiet Earth (1985)
2. The Power of the Dog (2021)
3. The World's Fastest Indian (2005)
4. Kitchen Sink (1989)
5. Heavenly Creatures (1994)
6. What We Do in the Shadows (2014)
7. The Navigator A Mediaeval Odyssey (1988)
8. The Ugly (1997)
9. An Angel at My Table (1990)
Spoiler
zomgmouse

Post by zomgmouse »

8/10
1. Utu *
2. Coming Home in the Dark
3. Braindead
4. The Power of the Dog (if ineligible just bump everything else up please)
5. Angel Mine
6. What We Do in the Shadows
7/10
7. The Navigator: A Medieval Odyssey
8. Housebound
9. Deathgasm
10. Spookers

if doing more than one film per director would also include Bad Taste/Heavenly Creatures/The Frighteners

*the redux version - but I think it's just the same link

IMDb links:
Spoiler
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Unranked:
Eagle vs. Shark (2007)
Black Sheep (2006)
The Navigator: A Medieval Odyssey (1988)
Once Were Warriors (1994)
An Angel at My Table (1990)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0494222/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0779982/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095709/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110729/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099040/
Rufus-T

Post by Rufus-T »

1. Whale Rider (2002)
2. The World's Fastest Indian (2005)
3. Jojo Rabbit (2019)
4. An Angel at My Table (1990)
5. Heavenly Creatures (1994)
6. The Power of the Dog (2021)
7. The Lovely Bones (2009)
8. Housebound (2014)
IMDb links
Last edited by Rufus-T on July 9th, 2022, 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leopardi
Donator

Post by Leopardi »

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Would have liked to have seen more, and to have been able to get to a full list, but 'twas not to be. At least I felt like I could contribute *something* unlike with Ireland where I really would have had to spend a lot of time catching up just to be able to have any list at all. Probably Braindead deserves to be higher here, and Jackson's other early horror-comedies might get a placement, but I haven't seen any of them since they first showed up in my neck of the woods around 30 years ago so I'm sticking where I am - and it's not like Jackson, or horror-comedies, really need my help here.

1. An Angel at My Table
2. White Lies
3. Heavenly Creatures
4. Goodbye Pork Pie
5. Vigil
6. Once Were Warriors
7. Utu
8. Forgotten Silver
9. The Quiet Earth
10. What We Do in the Shadows
11. Kitchen Sink
12. Braindead
Spoiler
It was the truth, vivid and monstrous, that all the while he had waited the wait was itself his portion..
gromit82
Donator

Post by gromit82 »

Fergenaprido: In planning future country polls, I suggest that the number of potentially eligible titles from each country be taken into account to a greater degree. So, for example, IMDb lists 5,171 feature films/TV movies/TV mini-series/documentaries/short films/videos/TV shorts from New Zealand released through 2022. (See https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?titl ... votes,desc for details.)

This compares to 38,615 for a larger country, Australia, or 665,878 for a much larger country, the USA. And, of course, not all the potentially eligible titles for any country will actually qualify due to coproductions.

It looks like New Zealand is likely to be close to the lower limit in terms of the number of films garnering 25 or more points. So any country with fewer potentially eligible titles is likely to be even tougher to collectively generate a full top 20.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

gromit82 wrote: July 1st, 2022, 1:06 am Fergenaprido: In planning future country polls, I suggest that the number of potentially eligible titles from each country be taken into account to a greater degree. So, for example, IMDb lists 5,171 feature films/TV movies/TV mini-series/documentaries/short films/videos/TV shorts from New Zealand released through 2022. (See https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?titl ... votes,desc for details.)

This compares to 38,615 for a larger country, Australia, or 665,878 for a much larger country, the USA. And, of course, not all the potentially eligible titles for any country will actually qualify due to coproductions.

It looks like New Zealand is likely to be close to the lower limit in terms of the number of films garnering 25 or more points. So any country with fewer potentially eligible titles is likely to be even tougher to collectively generate a full top 20.
Yep, we're on the same page. :thumbsup: I've also come to the conclusion that NZ will likely be at the lower limit. With other countries with similar output numbers, I think the limit will need to be higher, actually, because of the language barrier - people are more likely to seek out a random NZ film than a random Georgian or Senegalese film (assuming output is similar), simply because it's likely in English and won't require subtitles (i.e less forum interest).

If you think any of the countries I've put in Group 2 in the General Project thread might not have enough output to warrant a separate list (especially Philippines & Senegal, since I've scheduled them for August & September), please post your thoughts in that thread so we can figure out a solution.
Cinematic Omnivore 🧚‍♂️🦫
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

P.S. I'll give people until the end of the weekend to finalize their ballots, since I've got some other stuff I need to get done over the long weekend and won't be able to finalize things until Monday anyway.
Cinematic Omnivore 🧚‍♂️🦫
RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 »

Hi there Ferg!

I am leaving out Len Lye's short films as they are probably more British and American than they are of the Land of the Long White Cloud.

01. Desperate Remedies (1992, Stewart Main, Peter Wells)
02. Kitchen Sink (1989, Alison Maclean)
03. A Death in the Family (1987, Stewart Main, Peter Wells)
04. 140 Days Under the World (1964, Kell Fowler)
05. Gone Up North for a While (1972, Paul Maunder)

06. The Quiet Earth (1985, Geoff Murphy)
07. Flight to Venus (1960, Fred O'Neill)
08. Pumicelands (1954, John Feeney)
09. The Quarry (2013, Gavin Hipkins)
10. Twilight of the Gods (1996, Stewart Main)

11. A State of Siege (1978, Vincent Ward)
12. Ruby and Rata (1990, Gaylene Preston)
13. The Coaster (1948, Cecil Holmes)
14. Broken Barrier (1952, Roger Mirams, John O'Shea)
15. The Footstep Man (1992, Leon Narbey)

16. The Sound of Seeing (1963, Tony Williams)
17. Plastiphobia (1964, Fred O'Neill)
18. Jillian Dressing (1976, Joanna Margaret Paul)
19. Dustie (1971, Chris Mangin)
20. This Is New Zealand (1970, Hugh Macdonald)
Spoiler
Other NZ films that I value a lot and considered for my ballot:
Spoiler
Karioitahi Beach (1971, John Laing)
Country Lads (1941, Stanhope Andrews)
Railway Worker (1948, Margaret Thomson)
Score (1980, Arthur Everard)
Angel Mine (1978, David Blyth)
Delf (1997, James Cunningham)
Bad Blood (1981, Mike Newell)
Through Scrummage, Three Quarters and All (1966, John Cooper)
The Ground We Won (2015, Christopher Pryor)
To Live In The City (1967, Arthur Everard)
Two Cars, One Night (2003, Taika Waititi)
Omitted, pending revision: 'Utu'

:cheers:
That's all, folks!
RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 »

Thanks to gromit's wonderful work, I have now been able to insert the IMDb URLs for all twenty films on my ballot.

Those shorts from the documentarists at the NFU and from independent, creative spirits such as animator Fred O'Neill and artist Joanna Margaret Paul deserve more love!
That's all, folks!
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

RogerTheMovieManiac88 wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 1:09 pm Thanks to gromit's wonderful work, I have now been able to insert the IMDb URLs for all twenty films on my ballot.
Yes, thank you gromit! Saves me from having to do it myself. :worship:
Cinematic Omnivore 🧚‍♂️🦫
ororama

Post by ororama »

1. Once Were Warriors (Lee Tamahori)
2. What We Do in the Shadows: Interviews with Some Vampires (Jemaine Clement, Taika Waititi)
3. The Quiet Earth (Geoff Murphy)
4. Sleeping Dogs (Roger Donaldson)
5. Two Cars, One Night (Taika Waititi)
6. Braindead (Peter Jackson)
7. What We Do in the Shadows (Jemaine Clement, Taika Waititi)
8. Heavenly Creatures (Peter Jackson)
9. Eagle vs Shark (Taika Waititi)
10. The Power of the Dog (Jane Campion)
11. The Navigator: A Mediaeval Odyssey (Vincent Ward)
12. Fresh Meat (Danny Mulheron)
13. Weekly Review No. 232: Maori Battalion Returns (Russell Reid)
14. Vigil (Vincent Ward)
15. Kitchen Sink ( Alison Maclean)
16. Boy (Taika Waititi)
17. Whale Rider (Niki Caro)
18. Forgotten Silver (Costa Botes, Peter Jackson)
19. The Frighteners (Peter Jackson)
20. The Breaker Upperers (Madeleine Sami, Jackie van Beek)
Spoiler
Last edited by ororama on July 3rd, 2022, 8:33 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Here's my own list, before I forget.

1. Hunt for the Wilderpeople (2016)
2. Heavenly Creatures (1994)
3. What We Do in the Shadows (2014)
4. Forgotten Silver (1995)
5. Intersexion (2012)
6. An Angel at My Table (1990)
7. In My Father's Den (2004)
8. Whale Rider (2002)
9. The World in Your Window (2017)
10. Boy (2010)
11. 50 Ways of Saying Fabulous (2005)
12. Te Keremutunga o Nga Atua [Twilight of the Gods] (1996)
13. Weekly Review No. 232: Maori Battalion Returns (1946)
14. Smash Palace (1981)
15. Two Cars, One Night (2003)

I was hoping to be able to build a full ballot, but I saw fewer films in June than planned, and the ones I did see turned out to be not as good as I was hoping.
URLs
Cinematic Omnivore 🧚‍♂️🦫
Melvelet

Post by Melvelet »

My tiny list in case it's not too late:

1 Kitchen Sink
2 Braindead
3 An Angel at My Table
4 The Quiet Earth
5 Heavenly Creatures

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097673/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103873/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099040/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089869/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110005/
ImageImage

Current focus: DtC nominees, Central Europe, 2000s
Last.fm | RYM
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

zomgmouse wrote: June 26th, 2022, 11:37 pm 10. Spookers
This appears to be an Australian-led co-production with NZ, but there's not a lot out there to confirm that. So, given that it's a NZ subject, director, and co-production, and that no one voted for it in the Australian poll, I'll consider it eligible for this one.
Cinematic Omnivore 🧚‍♂️🦫
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Okay, I've gone through all the ballots, and things look robust enough to produce a list.

From what I can tell, the only outstanding decisions are regarding the following films:
The Power of the Dog
Jojo Rabbit
Guns Akimbo*

Feel free to leave these films on your list for now; if they get ruled ineligible I'll just bump everything below them up. If you want to add extras/reserves just in case, go ahead.

I'm going to close the poll now, but if you do want to make an edit please just post a new reply so that I don't miss it. Pre-sales for my new computer go live July 8th, and it's available July 15th, but I don't know if that means that's the first day I can receive it/pick it up, or if that's the first day it ships out. So I should be able to publish the results of this poll within 72 hours of receiving my new laptop (after I do the German poll first), assuming no major hiccups when I start it up.

*I know that Onder's ballot only has 4 other films, so if this one does get ruled ineligible, I'll still accept his ballot despite it being too short because it's my own fault/issues that have caused the decision to be delayed so long. If there are any other ballots that drop below 5 because of the inclusion of these 3 films, they too will still be included, and the lists will be given points as if they had 5 films.
Cinematic Omnivore 🧚‍♂️🦫
gromit82
Donator

Post by gromit82 »

Fergenaprido wrote: July 5th, 2022, 7:58 pm Okay, I've gone through all the ballots, and things look robust enough to produce a list.

From what I can tell, the only outstanding decisions are regarding the following films:
The Power of the Dog
Jojo Rabbit
Guns Akimbo*

Feel free to leave these films on your list for now; if they get ruled ineligible I'll just bump everything below them up. If you want to add extras/reserves just in case, go ahead.
Ferg: I think the best thing to do would be to declare all three films eligible. The main list for NZ is going to be pretty short in any event even if they are included, and most of the other countries involved in coproducing these three films have already been voted on in your polls (I believe the only exception is Canada for TPotD, and that wasn't one of the countries you suggested you might declare TPotD to be from), so if they don't qualify from NZ they won't be eligible from anywhere else in the future.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

gromit82 wrote: July 5th, 2022, 8:14 pm
Fergenaprido wrote: July 5th, 2022, 7:58 pm Okay, I've gone through all the ballots, and things look robust enough to produce a list.

The Power of the Dog
Jojo Rabbit
Guns Akimbo*

Ferg: I think the best thing to do would be to declare all three films eligible. The main list for NZ is going to be pretty short in any event even if they are included, and most of the other countries involved in coproducing these three films have already been voted on in your polls (I believe the only exception is Canada for TPotD, and that wasn't one of the countries you suggested you might declare TPotD to be from), so if they don't qualify from NZ they won't be eligible from anywhere else in the future.
That's a fair point gromit; I'll consider it. My only concern is I don't want films to be on a list "by default" simply because they missed their chance earlier (i.e. they weren't released yet or properly discussed during earlier polls). And they will get a full chance when we update/redo the polls at the end of the project. If people are okay with films changing which country they're eligible for from one edition to the next, then that's less of a problem for me.
Cinematic Omnivore 🧚‍♂️🦫
Rufus-T

Post by Rufus-T »

Fergenaprido wrote: July 5th, 2022, 9:23 pm
gromit82 wrote: July 5th, 2022, 8:14 pm

The Power of the Dog
Jojo Rabbit
Guns Akimbo*

That's a fair point gromit; I'll consider it. My only concern is I don't want films to be on a list "by default" simply because they missed their chance earlier (i.e. they weren't released yet or properly discussed during earlier polls). And they will get a full chance when we update/redo the polls at the end of the project. If people are okay with films changing which country they're eligible for from one edition to the next, then that's less of a problem for me.
I added TPotD to my list then. Drop it if you do decide it ineligible.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Working on this one now. I just updated the OP and the post with eligible titles, didn't realize I had forgotten to do it earlier.

So far, aside from the 3 edge-case films, only 2 ineligible films left on the ballots. :poshclap:

I also added Onder's URLs for him, and decided to include TalkingElvish's ballot even though it was almost a month late. :lol:

Guns Akimbo isn't going to make the final list, so I'm just going to declare it eligible this time round instead of trying to sort through all the production info. I might change my mind when we redo the poll in a decade. :P

I'm going to dig deeper on Jojo Rabbit & The Power of the Dog (and maybe watch/watch the credits for both) and then try and post the results tomorrow in case there are any other discrepancies, and in case I messed anything up in the German results.

Right now we have 21 films crossing the threshold (including the 2 films with questionable eligibility), so we are just scraping by with the bare minimum to produce a viable list (TalkingElvish's ballot didn't change that). :sweat:

Thanks all :)
Cinematic Omnivore 🧚‍♂️🦫
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Fergenaprido wrote: August 6th, 2022, 10:20 pm
Right now we have 21 films crossing the threshold (including the 2 films with questionable eligibility), so we are just scraping by with the bare minimum to produce a viable list (TalkingElvish's ballot didn't change that). :sweat:

Thanks all :)
Well, for this particular country there are a sizable number of films - particularly Peter Jackson's stuff - that are international coproductions that you judged not eligible, and they make up a lot of the films that everybody's seen. That won't necessarily be the case with a lot of countries, so even countries with smaller outputs may end up getting more total films on ballots, because their "big" films will be considered local. I mean, there are a LOT of Filipino co-productions, and many of them have more IMDb votes and icm checks than the arthouse stuff by Diaz, Brocka, etc, but I don't think they are dominating what people would choose.

And it may be that very few people really have found a lot to love in NZ film, or have bothered to make the effort. That's been true for me and I'm one of the most generous viewers and raters on this site - I just haven't found very many NZ films at all that I really connect to. I would actually think that the prevalence of horror, comedy, and horror-comedy would help get the viewings up among many of our regulars, and get more films on lists, but I guess not.
It was the truth, vivid and monstrous, that all the while he had waited the wait was itself his portion..
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

All right, I've made a decision.

Jojo Rabbit - eligible
Opening credits state Fox [us] and TSG Entertainment [us] present a Defender[nz] and Piki Films [nz] production.
Closing credits confirm.

The Power of the Dog - eligible - though I may change my mind in the future
Opening credits state Netflix [us], in association with NZ Film Commission [nz] Cross City Films [au] and BBC Film [uk], present a See-Saw Films [gb] and Bad Girl Creek [nz] production. And then it says a Max Films [ca] production in association with Brightstar [uk].
Closing credits then call it an "Official New Zealand-Australia co-production" near the very end.
So it's kind of contradictory, and until I checked the closing credits I was leaning toward the UK, but since NZ is the only country mentioned explicitly as production in both opening and closing credits, I'll go with that for now.

Results forthcoming.
Cinematic Omnivore 🧚‍♂️🦫