Happy Canada Day! 155 years since Confederation
Watch as many films from the Great White North as possible from July 1st, 2022 until July 31st, 2022.
- A feature film (Anything 40 minutes or over) counts as one entry.
- A total of 80 minutes of short films, TV series, and mini-series count as one entry (regardless of episode length).
- Rewatches allowed and are good for the soul.
- Try to use your own common sense regarding eligibility and/or ask when in doubt. If it's on any of the lists linked in this post, then it's eligible. If it was nominated for or won a Genie/Gemini/Canadian Screen Award/Etrog, then it's eligible. If it's simply an American movie filmed in Canada, or a Canadian director making an American film, then it's not eligible (unless it meets one of the other criteria).
Stuck for ideas of what to watch? Look no further:
Official iCM Lists:
Top 100 Canadian Films
UNESCO's Memory of the World: National Cinematic Heritage (101-191)
Canadian Screen Awards/Genie Awards: Best Motion Picture
Canadian Screen Award Best Motion Picture Nominees
CFB's Top 100 Canadian Films
200 Quebec Movies You Must See
Playback's Best Canadian Films of All Time
The Canadian Cult
The 10 and 3's top 50 Canadian Films
National Canadian Film Day: 150 Canadian Films
Canadian Films on Official iCM Lists
Canadian submissions for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film
National Film Board of Canada (1936-1979)
National Film Board of Canada (1980-present)
Overlooked Canadian Films
Taste of Cinema: 20 Canadian Cult Films You Might Not Have Seen
All of the Oscar-nominated NFB films (shorts & features) available online at the NFB site
Top Canadian Films (TIFF 2015)[Runners Up]
You can watch a lot of films online for free at the National Film Board of Canada website.
2014 Edition - hosted by HVM, winner was ryebass with 35 points
2017 Edition - hosted by 72allinncallme, winner was sol with 82 points
2018 Edition - hosted by Fergenaprido, winner was sol with 81 points
2020 Edition - hosted by Fergenaprido, winner was sol with 126 points
I've decided upon a couple of bonus challenges for this month.
The first subchallenge, just like last time, is to watch a movie from every decade. While Canadian cinema started to blossom in the 60s and 70s, really took off internationally in the late 80s and early 90s, and started to receive more critical acclaim in the 00s and 10s, its history goes back over a century. There may not be films from Canada's first 50 years, but the last 100 have given us some gems. I encourage you to seek them out. Since regular challenge players will/should have already seen all the eligible films from the 1910s and 1920s, the eligible decades for this will be from 1930s to 2020s. You get one point per decade, for a maximum of 10 points
The second subchallenge is based on community. It's cold and dark up here much of the year, and while the land is huge the people are few, with a population density of about 4 people/km². So we need to cluster together to stay warm and sane, and as a result we're a highly urbanized country. To encourage this sense of community, every participant can recommend one eligible film for other participants to watch after they log in their first film.
- For every recommendation you watch, you get one point.
- For every 5 recommendations you watch, you get to recommend another film.
- For every film that gets 5+ watches, every watcher gets a point (regardless of if it was recommended or not);
- ↳ if that film was a recommendation, the nominator gets a point.
- You don't get any points for watching your own recommendation.
- Points are retroactive if you watch a film that later becomes a recommendation by someone else.
I'll announce a winner for each subchallenge separately, as well as a winner for the bonus challenge overall.
Bonus Challenge Recommended Films
Fergenaprido 1: Incident at Restigouche (1984)
sol 1: Operation Avalanche (2016)
Arkantos 1: Night Raiders (2021)
DudeLanez 1: Matthias & Maxime (2019)
maxwelldeux 1: Anthropocene: The Human Epoch (2018)
jdidaco 1: Strangers in Good Company (1990)
klaus78 1: Picture of Light (1994)
peeptoad 1: The Pyx (1973)
sol 2: Treed Murray (2001)
Bonus/Side Challenge Scoreboard
|sol||30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s, 10s, 20s||10||6 recs, 2 comm watches||8||8 icm, 2 imdb||10||28|
|Fergenaprido||30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s, 10s, 20s||10||3 recs, 1 comm nom||4||2 icm, 3 imdb||5||19|
|maxwelldeux||70s, 80s, 00s, 10s, 20s||5||2 recs, 1 comm watch||3||2 icm, 1 imdb||3||11|
|Arkantos||60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s, 10s, 20s||7||3 recs, 1 comm watch||4||11|
|klaus78||60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s, 10s, 20s||7||1 comm watch||1||8|
|DudeLanez||60s, 70s, 90s, 00s, 10s, 20s||6||1 comm watch||1||7|
|blocho||70s, 80s, 90s, 00s, 10s||5||2 recs||2||7|
|jdidaco||60s, 70s, 80s, 20s||4||1 rec, 1 comm watch||2||6|
|magnusbernhardsen||80s, 90s, 00s, 10s||4||1 comm watch||1||5|
|OldAle1||40s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s||5||5|
|peeptoad||70s, 90s, 00s, 10s||4||4|
|Lonewolf2003||90s, 00s||2||1 comm watch||1||3|
|Mario Gaborović||00s||1||1 comm watch||1||2|