Welcome to the ICM Forum.
Check out our Magazine

If you notice any issues please post in the Q&A thread. Email issue should be fixed. If you encounter this issue, contact PeacefulAnarchy
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 56 released August 15th: Does Hollywood Have an Accent Problem?)
iCinema Magazine: WE ARE LIVE! (We just need more content)
ICMForum Film Festival 2022: Mon Nov 14 - Dec 12
Polls: Brazil (Results), Unofficial Checks (Results), Performers (Aug 14th), 1971 (Aug 24th), Philippines (Aug 31st), Music Videos (Sep 3rd), Senegal (Sep 30th)
Challenges: <400, Russia/USSR, One Film Each
About: Welcome All New Members, Terms of Use, Q&A

The thread where we post links to lists

beasterne

Post by beasterne »

This is honestly about the best superhero movie list we could hope for in this day and age. There are some unexpected but not terrible choices. And it does refrain from just being a top 50 list of Marvel/DC entries. I would definitely consider backing this one if we're getting serious about adopting an official superhero list sometime soon.

There are some BIG Dr. Strange fans at Rolling Stone apparently.

Went ahead and created the ICM list here: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/roll ... beasterne/

39/50 for me.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

beasterne wrote: June 30th, 2022, 2:15 pm This is honestly about the best superhero movie list we could hope for in this day and age. There are some unexpected but not terrible choices. And it does refrain from just being a top 50 list of Marvel/DC entries. I would definitely consider backing this one if we're getting serious about adopting an official superhero list sometime soon.

There are some BIG Dr. Strange fans at Rolling Stone apparently.

Went ahead and created the ICM list here: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/roll ... beasterne/

39/50 for me.
Thanks for doing the icm list. For all that I've griped about superheroes I've seen...44 of them. I guess because I'm still a comics nerd at heart even though I'm not crazy about the movies for the most part. Is this the best such list out there? Maybe. I personally wouldn't support it, or at least not all that enthusiastically, because I just don't think it's been a very interesting (cinematic) genre so far, and there just aren't very many good films. There are a lot of other small genres/subgenres that I'd rather see highlighted personally - giallo and blaxploitation being two that come to mind immediately. But I also get that such a list might conceivably bring a few more people to the site, which would be positive.

The biggest omission from this list - besides the 1940s serials which I wouldn't, unfortunately, expect to see anyway - is Watchmen, which rather surprises me, especially given that they do have V for Vendetta on the list, which strikes me as only borderline "superhero". I'm not really a fan of either film but the former strikes me as a better fit to the list, and the comic series it's based on is arguably the single most influential superhero title of the 1980s and maybe of the last 40 years.
It was the truth, vivid and monstrous, that all the while he had waited the wait was itself his portion..
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Inframan is pretty horrible. If you're going to go as wide as to include films like RoboCop, it's ridiculous that about 95% of the list is American. Not even the token Zebraman inclusion?
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

OldAle1 wrote: June 30th, 2022, 12:37 pm Rolling Stone just published the list that every serious cinephile has been looking for -

50 Greatest Superhero Movies of All Time
LOL @that remark. LOL @Rolling Stone. And to be honest, LOL @many of the list choices and ordering.

The biggest LOL of all goes to Infra-Man, though. Supercampy nonsense fun.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Onderhond wrote: June 30th, 2022, 4:12 pm Inframan is pretty horrible. If you're going to go as wide as to include films like RoboCop, it's ridiculous that about 95% of the list is American. Not even the token Zebraman inclusion?
Can't disagree with that. I saw Inframan exactly where it should have been seen - at a b-movie fest surrounded by stuff like Robot Monster and Plan 9. Haven't seen it since the late 80s, it might be better than those and many other bad movies, but it's certainly a weird outlier in a list that is otherwise just about all as you said, American. And modern for that matter - the only older film is the 1966 Batman. I have to admit I've seen precious few films that would readily qualify as "superhero" that aren't American, though I've certainly seen some. I would think Akira would count, for example. Obviously as with many genres it's a hard line to draw - if super powers are necessary, then all Batman films are out of the picture. But I'm sure there have been "real" superhero films made in several other countries and I'm sure there are several that are more interesting than many flicks on this list.
It was the truth, vivid and monstrous, that all the while he had waited the wait was itself his portion..
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

OldAle1 wrote: June 30th, 2022, 6:10 pm I have to admit I've seen precious few films that would readily qualify as "superhero" that aren't American
Myeah, but they have stuff like RoboCop (truth be told - I don't understand why they have a film like RoboCop), which isn't all that "superhero". And even then, you have more interesting films, like "Chronicle" you could add.

I'm sure that I could come up with interesting international titles too. There was a fun Italian one some time ago (They Call Me Jeeg), you have stuff like Ultraman, some funnier stuff like Big Man Japan, K-20 is also very superhero-like. There are tons of anime features that might suit the description. But yeah, if you're gonna default to superheroes = Marvel/DC, then Marvel is what you're going to get I guess.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

I guess what it boils down to is that the kinds of people who come up with these lists a) default to a general American notion of what a superhero is, and b) probably haven't bothered to seek out a lot of foreign examples. It also seems to be a genre that really did get started in the USA; are there any examples in world literature/film/etc of what we'd call a superhero now before Philip Wylie's 1930 novel Gladiator - which directly influenced the creation of Superman 8 years later? Perhaps but they remain unknown to the general public. France/Belgium and Japan probably have the largest comics industries outside of the USA (and Japan's is likely much larger at this point) but did they do "superhero" comics? I think they did. Asterix and Obelix are superheroes of a sort; Speed Racer is certainly the kind of character you find in American comics, sort of a borderline superhero. What about mecha stories? Why are mechas not included as a form of superhero?

So yeah, I think that American critics and viewers, and probably a lot of critics and viewers throughout the world, have kind of defaulted to it being an American thing, for no good reason other than laziness. I mean the Indian film Enthiran (2010) is DEFINITELY a superhero film, even if it is in Tamil and has lots of singing and dancing :lol: . And to me it was more fun than just about every MCU film. India and China can now make $100 million movies with FX as good as American films so if they're not making superhero films with any regularity yet I'm sure they might well be doing so soon. You'd know more than anybody here about the state of things in China. And as mentioned, Japan - the mecha stuff, stuff like Akira. I remember watching Battle of the Planets as a kid, which was definitely a superhero show just as much as Super Friends, and only later learned that it was an Americanized dubbed adaptation of a Japanese show. And lately I've been getting interested in Mexcian luchador films, which certainly seem a sub-category of superhero stories to me.

But the lists we get are all MCU and Batman and Superman and Spiderman. Sigh.
Good_Will_Harding

Post by Good_Will_Harding »

Ehh, that's about exactly what to reasonably expect from a current list on the superhero craze. Fifty is probably too high of a number IMO, since eventually you run out of the really interesting stuff. You could probably narrow that list down to an awesome top ten, **maybe** top twenty or twenty-five, though as it stands now, there's also an absence of any picks that could be considered really bold or divisive, like Ang Lee's Hulk or Eternals, both of which I liked more than at least half of the films mentioned in there.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Haven't seen the Ang Lee flick, but Eternals, while I didn't love it, certainly offers a somewhat different approach than the other MCU films. After seeing the latest Doctor Strange I must say that I am once again asking myself why I bother, and of course the answer boils down to a combination of "well, there isn't anything else playing any better nearby, and I want to see something" and nostalgia for my comics-reading youth. I'll see the new Thor also and undoubtedly feel the same.

Here's my top 10 that I wrote up elsewhere. Some will balk at #s 5 and 10 as not fitting the genre correctly but fuck if I care. It was hard just getting to 10 for me, and only the first film on the list makes my all-time favorites list. Most of the rest would be lucky to hit the bottom of a top 20 for their given years, though I do at least *like* them all.

1. Superman (1978)
2. Captain Marvel Adventures (1941)
3. The Rocketeer (1991)
4. Black Panther (2018)
5. Scott Pilgrim vs the World (2010)
6. Superman II (1980)
7. The Shadow (1994)
8. Shazam! (2019)
9. Enthiran (2010)
10. Masters of the Universe (1987)

Like I've said before, I've got nothing against the genre, and am in fact probably more attached than most to it since I was a superhero comics reader for quite a while, and have a collection of probably 4,000 comics still, most of them mainstream Marvel and DC superhero stuff - but the films are generally handicapped by their enormous budgets and the need to make them so very generic and simple, so as to appeal to a wide enough international audience such that they can make a billion dollars. Which is why I suspect that most of the better films that I haven't seen are independent works not based on established characters, or non-American films.
Good_Will_Harding

Hmm, I've never actually attempted to come up with a proper top list for the genre. Time for an experiment!

1. Spider-Man 2 (2004)
2. Unbreakable (2000)
3. Superman: The Movie (1978)
4. Batman Returns (1992)
5. The Dark Knight (2008)
6. Spider-Man (2002)
7. Thor: Ragnarok (2017)
8. Hulk (2003)
9. X2 (2003)
10. Batman: The Movie (1966)

Pretty much just stuck to what could be unambiguously considered a part of the genre. I certainly like a lot of the "borderline" stuff you mentioned enough to rank highly (Scott Pilgrim for example), but wanted to see if I could muster enough enthusiasm for the conventional fare. Like you, only one MCU film in the top ten, but then I don't have nearly as strong of an attachment to their comic book origins, apart from what was serialized into cartoon shows when I was growing up (Batman, Spider-Man, X-Men, etc). My father is/was a pretty avid collector and I still have a general appreciation for the medium of comics and graphic novels, but my own childhood guilty pleasures reside in things like monster movies/kaiju flicks, globe-trotting action adventures set largely in the jungle or desert, spy/espionage thrillers that also span the globe, etc. None of those have seen the explosion in financial success that the modern superhero craze has, except for maybe spy films, but only in the form of the 007 and Mission Impossible franchises there. :turned:
Last edited by Good_Will_Harding on June 30th, 2022, 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Good_Will_Harding wrote: June 30th, 2022, 9:21 pm like monster movies/kaiju flicks, globe-trotting action adventures set largely in the jungle or desert, spy/espionage thrillers that also span the globe, etc. None of those have seen the explosion in financial success that the modern superhero craze has, except for maybe spy films, but only in the form of the 007 and Mission Impossible franchises there. :turned:
Yeah, I like all of that stuff more than superhero films - though none of them reside as strongly in my childhood/adolescence. I mean I saw a couple of Bond films as a kid, I might have seen a King Kong or Godzilla movie also, but most of that stuff really wasn't part of my diet. The globe trotting action/adventure though, that brings to mind Indiana Jones immediately, and that certainly was a big deal for me after Raiders came out in 81 - though in retrospect, very few of the movies heavily influenced by it made much impact and of course I didn't get to see most of that new. I have been tracking down Raiders rip-offs for the last couple of years but the well is starting to really run dry. In any case, at this point I'm more excited to see most of those categories in new films than a new superhero film, I guess in large part because there's more room for elements of danger, possibly romance (almost absent in superhero films today), and the generally at least slightly lower budgets might allow for more novelty. But truth be told any action movie of any kind out of Hollywood has little chance of being really interesting or in any way novel, unless it can be made very cheaply and sort of fly under the radar (i.e. EEAAO).

Did you see The Lost City? I didn't love it or anything, but I did like it, and it had very much an old-school 80s vibe, with the romance and the very ridiculous villain. And it seemed so like Romancing the Stone that I had to go back and watch that again after many years only to find out - it's practically a remake. But I didn't mind. A couple more films like that every year would be welcome IMO.
Good_Will_Harding

Yup, I did see The Lost City and really enjoyed it - went with my father, who also really enjoys that specific type of film. Haven't seen Romancing the Stone in at least fifteen or twenty years, but I could still notice the similarities at hand. That and last summer's Jungle Cruise definitely fell into that 'action adventure' category I was referring to before, as did the recent Uncharted adaptation, though I didn't like that one nearly as much as the other two.

And I already need to issue a correction for my top ten superhero list - where I named the '22 Bat flick in the #10 spot, a film which I did really like, I actually meant to place the '66 Adam West film in that spot, which I managed to catch at a drive-in a few weeks ago. Damn those similar titles for films that couldn't be more tonally or visually opposite! :whistling:
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Oh the 66 Batman at a drive-in would be awesome! I did get to see it in the cinema once but it's now been forever since I've seen it last, or seen any of the TV series. Not really my thing though I think I might like it more now than 20 years ago. Wasn't crazy about Jungle Cruise - it started well but kind of fell apart for me in the second half; I liked both of the recent Jumanji films more overall. Didn't get to Uncharted, not sure why, but then I haven't been going out very much so far this year.

Romancing the Stone definitely went up in my estimation and at this point I'd probably say I like it more than Raiders or any of it's sequels; for one thing Kathleen Turner never becomes merely a damsel in distress like the women in those films tend to do, and the romance feels a little more lively and real. Zemeckis isn't as good with action as Spielberg, but he's much, much better with comedy and romance, so it all evens out I guess. I doubt Jewel in the Nile is any better than I remember it, but now I'm in the mood for more of this stuff I might as well revisit it as well.
Good_Will_Harding

Yeah, I should definitely get around to revisiting Romancing the Stone. The new Jumanji films are cute, but I'd probably still rank the '95 film ahead of them. To get back slightly more on topic, I wonder if there will be any brand new "best adventure film" lists circulating around this time next year if/when the fifth Indy film comes out. :think: No doubt the first three would dominate any such lists, but I'd also be curious to see if they enlighten me to any blindspots to fill in.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Good_Will_Harding wrote: July 1st, 2022, 1:46 am Yeah, I should definitely get around to revisiting Romancing the Stone. The new Jumanji films are cute, but I'd probably still rank the '95 film ahead of them. To get back slightly more on topic, I wonder if there will be any brand new "best adventure film" lists circulating around this time next year if/when the fifth Indy film comes out. :think: No doubt the first three would dominate any such lists, but I'd also be curious to see if they enlighten me to any blindspots to fill in.
That is a list we are certainly missing! I would love to see a list full of not just Indy films and ROTS but things like the various H.Rider Haggard adaptations (the 1935 She, the 1937 and 1950 King Solomon's Mines), some of the better Robin Hood and King Arthur films, etc, etc. Of course "adventure" is a pretty damn vague term - would it include epics like Lawrence of Arabia? What about period martial-arts films? The Wages of Fear? I think in the minds of many today adventure has been subsumed into action, but that wasn't always the case and to my mind there is a very clear difference, at least sometimes. Tolkien's novel is an adventure story, not an action one, but the filmed Lord of the Rings is both.

Anyway this little list/article has been posted before re: Indiana Jones-influenced films but I'll post it again

https://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/27 ... k-rip-offs

and I don't recall seeing this one before; like the previous one, hardly a list of great, Official Check-worthy flicks but fun for people like us for sure

https://www.looper.com/718857/the-most- ... -happened/
Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan »

Last edited by Kublai Khan on July 1st, 2022, 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Owner of seven platinum awards
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Kublai Khan wrote: July 1st, 2022, 5:10 pm Slashfilm's 95 Best Action movies. Not a bad list.

https://www.slashfilm.com/912431/best-action-movies/
Any list with Andy Sidaris, Buster Keaton, Steven Seagal's best film, John Ford, Lee Marvin, Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning and Rudy Ray Moore is deserving of some kind of notice. But it does seem kind of random - while I do like it's attempt at breadth it definitely leaves out a lot of really major films that tend to be on most action lists, though part of this is also because they are apparently deliberately limiting itself to one film from any series which leads to the one Bond film being - On Her Majesty's Secret Service? And Temple of Doom is there, but no Raiders. Only one anime (Akira, unsurprisingly). All in all, kinda weird.

But it's definitely a more interesting action list than most I've seen, whatever my personal issues might be. They seem to love Arnie and Jackie. 22 unseen for me, most of those are films that are on my watch-list.
Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan »

Added an ICM list of it. I think your assessment is good, OA. It's nice to have a really wide range, but Last Action Hero over Predator? Stagecoach, but not Robocop? Some odd choices.
Owner of seven platinum awards
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Thanks for promoting & adding the list to ICM, Kublai!
You know what, that's actually a cool list. I tried to focus less on what it is lacking and more what it has. In the end, it shares a lot with The TimeOut Top 101 - so take their shared foundation and you already have a mini-can(n)on.
Pretty weird inclusion: Mechanical Violator Hakaider, a spin-off of the TV series, with 400 IMDb votes and 19 ICM checks. Hm.
Bonus point for featuring Crank (although it's the sequel). Seeing Banlieue 13 makes me realize this one isn't even official - it's the seminal parcours film and this stuff has infested any action film since the late 00s (think Bond, for example), reason enough to list it. Not that Inception isn't on enough lists already, but it makes a lot of sense for such a best of, right. Ronin. (l) They even have the right Mission Impossible, that is, one of the recent installments. And Unstoppable from the great Tony Scott would be one of my top picks for best traditional action/thriller film of the current century, so, YES, please. The BIGGEST no-no for me is The Protector instead of Ong-Bak.
Cool, cool.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Torgo wrote: July 1st, 2022, 6:10 pm Thanks for promoting & adding the list to ICM, Kublai!
You know what, that's actually a cool list. I tried to focus less on what it is lacking and more what it has. In the end, it shares a lot with The TimeOut Top 101 - so take their shared foundation and you already have a mini-can(n)on.
Pretty weird inclusion: Mechanical Violator Hakaider, a spin-off of the TV series, with 400 IMDb votes and 19 ICM checks. Hm.
Bonus point for featuring Crank (although it's the sequel). Seeing Banlieue 13 makes me realize this one isn't even official - it's the seminal parcours film and this stuff has infested any action film since the late 00s (think Bond, for example), reason enough to list it. Not that Inception isn't on enough lists already, but it makes a lot of sense for such a best of, right. Ronin. (l) They even have the right Mission Impossible, that is, one of the recent installments. And Unstoppable from the great Tony Scott would be one of my top picks for best traditional action/thriller film of the current century, so, YES, please. The BIGGEST no-no for me is The Protector instead of Ong-Bak.
Cool, cool.
Yeah you're right, lots of crossover with the Time Out list, or at least a very similar sensibility. I think focusing on the lacking stuff is, for me, really just a way of saying "this probably isn't official list caliber" - but then I'm not sure the Time Out one is either, and the Marshall Julius one *definitely* isn't. Does that mean there are no great action lists, or I'm too picky? Dunno. I still dream of us doing something like TSZ for a whole bunch of genres including action though I personally can't imagine a list for this genre going much beyond 500 before getting into real dicey shit. Anyway regardless of whether it meets any particular standard that we as a group might have, it's one of the better action lists I've seen for sure.

Most of the films you mention Torgo are actually among the ones I haven't seen, though I miscounted and I'm actually only missing 20. One of the ones I missed was Banlieur 13 which I did see but didn't make much impression on me alas. Not sure why I have yet to see Ronin or Crank 2 yet; agree with you on the Protector vs Ong-Bak thing. Should probably get to the Tony Scott films that I haven't seen at some point including that one - something about that screenshot is very intriguing to me. Also, having the first Raid instead of the second one makes no sense to me.
Teproc

Post by Teproc »

It would make no sense to have the insanely bloated sequel over the lean and clean original Raid, is I think what you meant. Barring any preference between the two, it also makes more sense to have the original as that's the one that was, you know, original, new, and influential.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Teproc wrote: July 1st, 2022, 7:35 pm It would make no sense to have the insanely bloated sequel over the lean and clean original Raid, is I think what you meant. Barring any preference between the two, it also makes more sense to have the original as that's the one that was, you know, original, new, and influential.
Alternately, maybe Ale meant that he thinks the list should have the film he prefers. :whistling:
🏳️‍⚧️ (she/her)
Mr. Blonde wrote: Are you gonna bark all day, little doggie, or are you gonna bite?
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
First to check CODA (2021)
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Teproc wrote: July 1st, 2022, 7:35 pm It would make no sense to have the insanely bloated sequel over the lean and clean original Raid, is I think what you meant. Barring any preference between the two, it also makes more sense to have the original as that's the one that was, you know, original, new, and influential.
Yeah, no, sorry. To be fair I should watch the original again - I saw a fairly poor rip originally, when it was new, and I've had the BD set of both films for a year or two and just not gotten around to watching them again. But I'd be surprised if I changed my mind that dramatically, especially given that a big part of my problem with the first film (which I did like, don't get me wrong) is that horrible washed-out color scheme, something that is not going to change in HD, and something I'll never get used to. I don't think the second film is the most beautiful thing ever, but at least it's not all fucking sepia like the first one.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Torgo wrote: July 1st, 2022, 6:10 pm Pretty weird inclusion: Mechanical Violator Hakaider, a spin-off of the TV series, with 400 IMDb votes and 19 ICM checks. Hm.
It's a funny film with plenty of cult appeal. Amemiya is pretty cool, even though he rarely has the budget, he doesn't let that hold him back.

I'm mostly surprised about a number of weird HK inclusions. Hark's The Blade, but hardly any of Jet Li's '90-'93 films (Iron Monkey, Once upon a Time in China, Fong Sai-Yuk, ...)? Sammo Hung certainly deserves a spot, but with Meals on Wheels?
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

he or A. or Armo or any

currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists: GODARD, r/antinatalism recommends,..
the rest
ANARCHISTS, ANIMAL RIGHTS, Assisted suicide, Existential films, SOCIALIST CINEMA (an amalgamation of lists), Feminist lists, various GSSRM lists (aka LGBTQ+), 2010s bests, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, mah huge sci-fi list, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
/forum.icmforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo
imaginary awards | youtube channels | complaint lounge | explain how big a fan of slavery you are here, ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1535 and here: ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4484
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

Thank you for sharing Armor. Watchlisted and favorited. Objectively speaking this has got to be a more interesting list than the current Empire official list given its scope. I’m at 39/101.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Well, not a fan since it has been posted the first time. It's more and longer, surely, bloated with filler stuff and being (indeed objectively) so more diverse that it loses the meaning of what a common sequel for theaters is.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Not a fan of this new list.
🏳️‍⚧️ (she/her)
Mr. Blonde wrote: Are you gonna bark all day, little doggie, or are you gonna bite?
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

The current sequel official list is one of my least favorites and one of the ones I never, ever look at (except when it gets referenced here). So, yeah, even if this new one is "better" I couldn't give a fuck. I don't really see much value in these kinds of lists personally and if we were ever voting out official lists as a matter of course, the sequels one would be the first one I'd pick (well, once every single IMDb list was gone of course :lol: ).
Minkin

Post by Minkin »

Some of these don't really make sense as sequels.

Like Abbott and Costello Meet the Mummy - is it just because A&C are in it? So all of the movies are technically sequels of One Night in the Tropics?

Or wtf is the Goofy Movie a sequel to? Just because it has Goofy in it, it's a sequel to the cartoons?

I guess I like the selection of things I would never expect on a sequel list (like O Lucky Man), but idk about a list with Spy Kids 2 on it.
Cinema Safari (Currently working on Inyo County, CA + Zimbabwe upgrade) Help recommend me movies to watch) Letterboxd
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Yeah it's an awfully loose definition of sequel.
beavis

Post by beavis »

I made a new list!
I write a short piece on MovieMeter.nl each month (in Dutch) about what I've seen that month and I always include 4 "tips of the month". I have now collected these tips into a list and this list give an excellent overview of my entire taste in film, from major classics, to blockbusters, to obscure arthouse and cult. Better than my "all time favorite" or "500<400 selections" do. I hope some of you might find that interesting. At the moment the list is up-to-date from Januari 2014 until last month (it is missing one month where I did not select 4 recommendations).

ICM and LB

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/my+4 ... st/beavis/
https://letterboxd.com/beavis/list/my-4 ... st/page/4/

this is the text I included with the list on LB:

Since 2014 I've selected 4 movies from what I've seen each month which I thought were the best or most surprising. Movies that stayed with me and that I would very much recommend to others who like my taste. And now here they are in list form!

This list gives a very good overview of the full breath of my movie interests!
(It includes major classics, very obscure arthouse and some strange cultmovies that would not by covered by a list of only my all time favorites or only my obscure favorites). I'll try to update it each month from now on.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

OldAle1 wrote: June 30th, 2022, 6:41 pm I guess what it boils down to is that the kinds of people who come up with these lists a) default to a general American notion of what a superhero is, and b) probably haven't bothered to seek out a lot of foreign examples.
Vincent n'a pas d'écailles (2014)
A supposedly very slow and SFX-lacking film, the antithesis to M to the C to the U.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Top 25 Highest-Grossing High School Comedies from imdb.

1999 seems to have been a banner year for teens going to the cinemas to see themselves on screen, with 4 films making this short list. I thought Cruel Intentions should be there (another 1999 film that I remember being more popular than 3 of the 4 other films from that year - it would come in at #21), but I guess technically it takes place during summer break so they excluded it.

I also did not realize that (part of) Encino Man took place in high school; I really should get around to seeing that.

The list hasn't been updated since 2017, but the only films I can think of since then that might make it are Love, Simon and Booksmart - the former is more of a dramedy than a comedy, and the latter didn't make enough money at the box office. The rest are a bunch of Netflix originals that never hit the big screen, which seems to be where most hit teen movies are popping up these days (especially if they're adaptations of YA novels).
Cinematic Omnivore 🧚‍♂️🦫
Minkin

Post by Minkin »

I decided that my partner and I needed to be a Partner and Partner art team just like the Eames, and that got me wanting to watch stuff by them, so I ended up making a filmography for Charles and Ray Eames.

Their website says they made "around 125 films" - but IMDB only lists 108, and the Eames website only lists like 80, but includes some things IMDB doesn't have. Then there's entries on IMDB that I'm like 95% certain are just wrong - like "Polavision" was a series of like 6 separate films, but IMDB doesn't list all of them (missing Bicycles), and I'm not sure what Polavision is supposed to be on its own merits. Its the same story with "Fabulous Fifties" - which was another film series of separate films, not a "complete entity." Or then there's The House of Science (1962) vs House of Science (1964). Or IMDB lists "Babbage" and the Eames site lists a different Babbage with screenshots not included in the Babbage that's online.

In other words: SNAFU

I did email the Eames Foundation to get some of this cleared up, but who knows if they'll ever get back to me. But until then, at least someone can enjoy the effort I put into it.

And if someone's feeling generous, could they add these films to IMDB for me?:

The Leading Edge (1966)
Merlin and the Time Mobile (1978)
Newton’s Method of Fluxions: An Introduction to Differential Calculus (1974)
Polavision Vignettes: Bicycles (1977)
A Report on the IBM Exhibition Center (590 Madison) (1978)
Sumo Wrestler (1972)
Time and Life International Building Lobby (1959)

I am now the world's foreleast expert on Eames films, so I'll take questions after a smoke break at my book signing. :turned:
Cinema Safari (Currently working on Inyo County, CA + Zimbabwe upgrade) Help recommend me movies to watch) Letterboxd
magnusbernhardsen

Post by magnusbernhardsen »

Fergenaprido wrote: July 19th, 2022, 9:21 pm I also did not realize that (part of) Encino Man took place in high school; I really should get around to seeing that.
It is a high school movie where the new pupil is a cave man.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

spambot wrote: Evaluate my friend's site in php
Let's not and also say we didn't.
🏳️‍⚧️ (she/her)
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

I would like to evaluate this site, but I am having vision problems currently, and the Nigerian prince who promised to send me new glasses has so far failed to do so. So please if you could Venmo me $10,000 (glasses are expensive in my country), I will be glad to take a look. My email address is:
Spoiler
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

he or A. or Armo or any

currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists: GODARD, r/antinatalism recommends,..
the rest
ANARCHISTS, ANIMAL RIGHTS, Assisted suicide, Existential films, SOCIALIST CINEMA (an amalgamation of lists), Feminist lists, various GSSRM lists (aka LGBTQ+), 2010s bests, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, mah huge sci-fi list, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
/forum.icmforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo
imaginary awards | youtube channels | complaint lounge | explain how big a fan of slavery you are here, ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1535 and here: ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4484