Welcome to the ICM Forum.
Check out our Magazine

If you notice any issues please post in the Q&A thread. Email issue should be fixed. If you encounter this issue, contact PeacefulAnarchy
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 56 released August 15th: Does Hollywood Have an Accent Problem?)
iCinema Magazine: WE ARE LIVE! (We just need more content)
ICMForum Film Festival 2022: Mon Nov 14 - Dec 12
Polls: Brazil (Results), Unofficial Checks (Results), Performers (Aug 14th), 1971 (Aug 24th), Philippines (Aug 31st), Music Videos (Sep 3rd), Senegal (Sep 30th)
Challenges: <400, Russia/USSR, One Film Each
About: Welcome All New Members, Terms of Use, Q&A

Future challenges

Post Reply
User avatar
sol
Donator
Posts: 14683
Joined: February 3rd, 2017, 7:00 am
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#3601

Post by sol »

Fergenaprido wrote: June 25th, 2022, 12:23 am Despite my computer troubles, I'm still down to host the Canada challenge next month. Rules will be the same as past editions. I'm getting a new laptop next month, so it should arrive in time for me to do end of challenge stats, and I think I can keep up with the postings during the month and update the OP at least once a week.

For the bonus game, I was thinking of rewarding first time viewings and group viewings as such:
Bonus points for being a first check, or under-five votes on imdb (same as before)
Bonus points equal to the number of people who have seen the film for the challenge.

For the second one, I was initially thinking 5 points if you're the only one who's seen a film, then it goes down to 2 points when two participants have seen it, then 3 for three, etc. But then I thought people might wait until the end of the challenge and post a bunch of new unique viewings and win the bonus in a less than fair manner.
Then I thought of just giving an extra point to the first viewer, to encourage people to post their viewings earlier rather than later, but I don't know if that would solve the problem (which might not be a problem at all, but I know it has been in the past).

So, thoughts on how I can tweak this bonus game to make it fairer while still focusing on rewarding participants for watching the same films collectively AND for seeking out new films would be appreciated.

I'm also hoping that this challenge will help get my filmwatching mojo back. I've seen 4 films so far this month, and I'm not bothered by it at all. (D:)
Glad you're up for this again!

I find the part that I have highlighted in blue confusing. So, if I watch Film A, I get 5 points - but then that's reduced to 2 points if somebody else happens to watch it, but it can increase back up to 5 (or more) points if more and more participants view it? If this correct, I'm not sure if I am favour of the negativity its encourages, i.e. watching somebody else's unique pick in the hope of taking points off them.

Regarding the part highlighted maroon, the simpler thing may be have a bonus scoreboard of average # of checks per film watched. Whoever has the lowest average wins. Or maybe just running tally of whoever has seen the most films with under 100 checks?

With group viewings, Bonus Recommendations Challenges have worked in the past (e.g. for the DTC Nominees Challenges). The formula was rejigged this year, but generally it is meant to reward watching of unique films and your own recommendations being watched. In a step process, it should work like:

1. Every participant gets to recommend a film
2. If two or three other participants watch your recommendation, you get another bonus recommendation
3. If you watch three recommendations from others, you also get bonus recommendation

That might be easier to manage?
|iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | Gold Derby
Image
Long live the new flesh!
User avatar
sol
Donator
Posts: 14683
Joined: February 3rd, 2017, 7:00 am
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#3602

Post by sol »

It's close to the end of the month blah blah blah etc. Here are the Challenges scheduled for July:

---- Canada - to be hosted by Fergenaprido

---- Unofficial - to be hosted by Lammetje

---- Someone Else's 500<400/Top List - to be hosted by ??

I don't really see myself participating in the third challenge at all unless I get bored with Canada. Somebody who voted for it should volunteer to host it.
|iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | Gold Derby
Image
Long live the new flesh!
User avatar
Fergenaprido
Donator
Posts: 7502
Joined: June 3rd, 2014, 6:00 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

#3603

Post by Fergenaprido »

sol wrote: June 25th, 2022, 1:00 am
Fergenaprido wrote: June 25th, 2022, 12:23 am Despite my computer troubles, I'm still down to host the Canada challenge next month. Rules will be the same as past editions. I'm getting a new laptop next month, so it should arrive in time for me to do end of challenge stats, and I think I can keep up with the postings during the month and update the OP at least once a week.

For the bonus game, I was thinking of rewarding first time viewings and group viewings as such:
Bonus points for being a first check, or under-five votes on imdb (same as before)
Bonus points equal to the number of people who have seen the film for the challenge.

For the second one, I was initially thinking 5 points if you're the only one who's seen a film, then it goes down to 2 points when two participants have seen it, then 3 for three, etc. But then I thought people might wait until the end of the challenge and post a bunch of new unique viewings and win the bonus in a less than fair manner.
Then I thought of just giving an extra point to the first viewer, to encourage people to post their viewings earlier rather than later, but I don't know if that would solve the problem (which might not be a problem at all, but I know it has been in the past).

So, thoughts on how I can tweak this bonus game to make it fairer while still focusing on rewarding participants for watching the same films collectively AND for seeking out new films would be appreciated.

I'm also hoping that this challenge will help get my filmwatching mojo back. I've seen 4 films so far this month, and I'm not bothered by it at all. (D:)
Glad you're up for this again!

I find the part that I have highlighted in blue confusing. So, if I watch Film A, I get 5 points - but then that's reduced to 2 points if somebody else happens to watch it, but it can increase back up to 5 (or more) points if more and more participants view it? If this correct, I'm not sure if I am favour of the negativity its encourages, i.e. watching somebody else's unique pick in the hope of taking points off them.

Regarding the part highlighted maroon, the simpler thing may be have a bonus scoreboard of average # of checks per film watched. Whoever has the lowest average wins. Or maybe just running tally of whoever has seen the most films with under 100 checks?

With group viewings, Bonus Recommendations Challenges have worked in the past (e.g. for the DTC Nominees Challenges). The formula was rejigged this year, but generally it is meant to reward watching of unique films and your own recommendations being watched. In a step process, it should work like:

1. Every participant gets to recommend a film
2. If two or three other participants watch your recommendation, you get another bonus recommendation
3. If you watch three recommendations from others, you also get bonus recommendation

That might be easier to manage?
You understood the blue part right. It can have a negative side, but my thinking was that it would help make the challenge more interesting/challenging, since to win the bonus challenge it would require some strategic viewing - but that in itself has its downside which is why I wasn't fully satisfied with it either.

Regarding the maroon part, I'm not so keen on using the number of checks as it would require a lot of extra effort on my part that I'm not willing to put in. :D The recommendations, though, I hadn't thought of, and I quite like that. I might give it a go.

Thanks.
Cinematic Omnivore 🧚‍♂️🦫
User avatar
sortile9io
Posts: 3543
Joined: January 23rd, 2013, 7:00 am
Contact:

#3604

Post by sortile9io »

sol wrote: June 25th, 2022, 1:05 am ---- Someone Else's 500<400/Top List - to be hosted by ??
By me (I was on of the top voters), for instance, unless somebody else has a special interest in it. Incidentally, first thing I'm planning to do is changing the title.
User avatar
sortile9io
Posts: 3543
Joined: January 23rd, 2013, 7:00 am
Contact:

#3605

Post by sortile9io »

sortile9io wrote: June 25th, 2022, 7:18 am
sol wrote: June 25th, 2022, 1:05 am ---- Someone Else's 500<400/Top List - to be hosted by ??
By me (I was on of the top voters), for instance, unless somebody else has a special interest in it. Incidentally, first thing I'm planning to do is changing the title.
I’m opening this thread a bit early because this challenge is new and there might be still some open questions and details to be polished; better solve them before it starts officially.
User avatar
beavis
Posts: 3793
Joined: June 20th, 2011, 6:00 am
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Contact:

#3606

Post by beavis »

looking forward to it! thanks for taking the hosting on
User avatar
sol
Donator
Posts: 14683
Joined: February 3rd, 2017, 7:00 am
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#3607

Post by sol »

sortile9io wrote: June 29th, 2022, 12:37 pm I’m opening this thread a bit early because this challenge is new and there might be still some open questions and details to be polished; better solve them before it starts officially.
No problem. Actually, right now isn't early. It will be July in New Zealand in less than 24 hours, so it's probably about time for the other hosts to open their challenges too, hint hint wink wink etc. :shifty:
|iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | Gold Derby
Image
Long live the new flesh!
User avatar
sol
Donator
Posts: 14683
Joined: February 3rd, 2017, 7:00 am
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#3608

Post by sol »

Fergenaprido wrote: June 25th, 2022, 1:13 am The recommendations, though, I hadn't thought of, and I quite like that. I might give it a go.

Thanks.
No worries. For what it's worth, I expect to have my first Canadian viewing under my belt by around this time tomorrow, so it would be great if the Challenge thread was active by then.

If the thread hasn't been started by the time it is July in Australia, I can always post my viewings in the "Last Movie Seen" thread (for ease of copying and pasting later) so there's no need to rush if you cannot get the thread up in time. If, however, you need help with anything for the OP, including the recommendations challenge, let me know and I'll see what I can do.
|iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | Gold Derby
Image
Long live the new flesh!
User avatar
Fergenaprido
Donator
Posts: 7502
Joined: June 3rd, 2014, 6:00 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

#3609

Post by Fergenaprido »

No worries sol, I'll have the thread up later this afternoon. Just going to reuse a lot of what I had in the OP the last time. :thumbsup:
Cinematic Omnivore 🧚‍♂️🦫
User avatar
Fergenaprido
Donator
Posts: 7502
Joined: June 3rd, 2014, 6:00 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

#3610

Post by Fergenaprido »

Canadian Challenge thread is up. Let me know what you think of the bonus challenge sol - the second part is the only change from last time.
Cinematic Omnivore 🧚‍♂️🦫
User avatar
sol
Donator
Posts: 14683
Joined: February 3rd, 2017, 7:00 am
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#3611

Post by sol »

It's close to the end of the month blah blah blah etc. August Challenges:

---- Russia/USSR - to be hosted by ?

---- <400 Checks - to be hosted by ?

---- One Film From Each iCM list - ?

I'm not really planning to participate in any of the August Challenges so I'm not volunteering to host.
|iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | Gold Derby
Image
Long live the new flesh!
User avatar
gunnar
Posts: 896
Joined: June 6th, 2021, 3:38 am
Location: Michigan
Contact:

#3612

Post by gunnar »

I'm willing to host <400 Checks, though I likely won't update it as frequently as I did the Chinese challenge.
User avatar
RogerTheMovieManiac88
Posts: 2447
Joined: February 4th, 2017, 7:00 am
Location: Westmeath, Ireland
Contact:

#3613

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 »

Would it be nice to do away with Russia/USSR just for this year and hold a special Ukrainian Challenge?
That's all, folks!
User avatar
sol
Donator
Posts: 14683
Joined: February 3rd, 2017, 7:00 am
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#3614

Post by sol »

RogerTheMovieManiac88 wrote: July 26th, 2022, 4:23 pm Would it be nice to do away with Russia/USSR just for this year and hold a special Ukrainian Challenge?
There's already a Ukrainian Challenge scheduled for November this year. :shrug:

(technically, an Eastern European Challenge, but I would support a Ukraine watches bonus challenge)
|iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | Gold Derby
Image
Long live the new flesh!
User avatar
RogerTheMovieManiac88
Posts: 2447
Joined: February 4th, 2017, 7:00 am
Location: Westmeath, Ireland
Contact:

#3615

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 »

sol wrote: July 26th, 2022, 11:36 pm
RogerTheMovieManiac88 wrote: July 26th, 2022, 4:23 pm Would it be nice to do away with Russia/USSR just for this year and hold a special Ukrainian Challenge?
There's already a Ukrainian Challenge scheduled for November this year. :shrug:

(technically, an Eastern European Challenge, but I would support a Ukraine watches bonus challenge)
I think a substituting of the Ukraine and the USSR might be fitting, but I suppose people can prioritise Ukrainian films next month if they wish to. It just seems slightly inappropriate to be planning a USSR Challenge in the current climate.
That's all, folks!
blocho
Donator
Posts: 6325
Joined: July 20th, 2014, 6:00 am
Contact:

#3616

Post by blocho »

RogerTheMovieManiac88 wrote: July 26th, 2022, 11:58 pm I think a substituting of the Ukraine and the USSR might be fitting, but I suppose people can prioritise Ukrainian films next month if they wish to. It just seems slightly inappropriate to be planning a USSR Challenge in the current climate.
For several reasons, I disagree with this. But I don't think there's any need to hash out the same debate that's occurred hundreds of times across society. Regardless of which challenges occur, everyone has the right to not watch movies from any country they choose.
User avatar
RogerTheMovieManiac88
Posts: 2447
Joined: February 4th, 2017, 7:00 am
Location: Westmeath, Ireland
Contact:

#3617

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 »

blocho wrote: July 27th, 2022, 1:05 am
RogerTheMovieManiac88 wrote: July 26th, 2022, 11:58 pm I think a substituting of the Ukraine and the USSR might be fitting, but I suppose people can prioritise Ukrainian films next month if they wish to. It just seems slightly inappropriate to be planning a USSR Challenge in the current climate.
For several reasons, I disagree with this. But I don't think there's any need to hash out the same debate that's occurred hundreds of times across society. Regardless of which challenges occur, everyone has the right to not watch movies from any country they choose.
Oh, I agree. I didn't say this to cause argument. It was just a thought that occurred to me, that it might be apposite to hold up and celebrate Ukrainian cinema in this slot next month that had been assigned to USSR cinema.
That's all, folks!
blocho
Donator
Posts: 6325
Joined: July 20th, 2014, 6:00 am
Contact:

#3618

Post by blocho »

I'm willing to take either of the remaining unclaimed challenges for next month.
blocho
Donator
Posts: 6325
Joined: July 20th, 2014, 6:00 am
Contact:

#3619

Post by blocho »

Since no one has spoken up, I'll take USSR/Russia. We only need a host for One Film From Each iCM list.
User avatar
shugs
Donator
Posts: 977
Joined: November 15th, 2014, 7:00 am
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Contact:

#3620

Post by shugs »

I can do it. Will open up the thread a little bit later.
Post Reply